• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Big Drew

• japanjambo

• John Findlay

• dannymack

been here before

Just about one of the first Hearts players I can remember but too young to have seen him play. 

Iconic player whose legendary status is borne out by the fact we still sing his name 45 years after he left the club

Didnt he score the last ever goal for Third Lanark?

Edited by been here before

132goals1958

Very sad to hear this That he was held in such high esteem by followers of the club long after his retirement tells its own story

AllyjamboDerbyshire

So sad. A genuine legend. Went into every challenge with his heart. RIP the Buzzbomb.

5 minutes ago, been here before said:

Just about one of the first Hearts players I can remember but too young to have seen him play. 

Iconic player whose legendary status is borne out by the fact we still sing his name 45 years after he left the club

Yup, nice bit of trivia that.

2FCF4EA8-721D-4944-951D-F0FFCDE5D7E0.png

AllyjamboDerbyshire
6 minutes ago, been here before said:

Had never heard it before, so checked it out, he did indeed score Third Lanark's last goal.

wentworth jambo

Legend, hero, superstar, nice guy....all of these and as good a Hearts man as you could get....gutted. Thoughts with Drew's family & friendsDrew Busby - Hall of Fame inductee - The Terrace - Jambos Kickback

Just now, wentworth jambo said:

Legend, hero, superstar, nice guy....all of these and as good a Hearts man as you could get....gutted. Thoughts with Drew's family & friendsDrew Busby - Hall of Fame inductee - The Terrace - Jambos Kickback

Nice picture Wentworth 

HeartsandonlyHearts

Nooo!! 😕

I did not want to open this thread.

As a kid, him, Anderson, cruickie and Ford were my first football heroes.

I remember one of his first goals scored for Hearts and me keeping an eye on Donald to see how he reacted to the goal. They celebrated like old friends. I was so excited.

This news is so sad.

Toxteth O'Grady
33 minutes ago, Papa John said:

Really sad news, Donald Ford and Drew Busby my early heroes.

Me too. Sad news.

I had a badge saying Jesus saves but Busby nets the rebound. 

RIP Buzzbomb

TyphoonJambo

My first Hearts hero.  RIP big guy. Sad,sad day.

rudeskaboyuk

Well that's spoilt my holiday ! 

rIP Drew Busby. Everyone's favourite player 😎

Just before my time but saw some of his cracking goals on the Back From The Brink video and know how much he means to the older guys. RIP Drew

John Findlay

Jim Cruikshank, gone

Bobby Prentice, gone,

and now Drew Busby. My childhood heroes going one by one. 

Only the great Donald Ford of my heroes left.

1974. Hearts have beaten Morton 3-1 at Tynecastle. Me and my best pal Mikey Devlin are in Brattasani's at Haymarket waiting to get mince pie suppers, who do we see sitting in one of the booths but, Drew. We can't believe it and go over to chat with him. I think Drew is loaded as he is having steak and chips.

We talk about the game and the cracking goal that Ralph Callachan had scored, think we chatted for between 10-15 minutes, Drew very patient with us. I was only eleven at the time.

It was the first time I had ever had a proper conversation with a professional footballer and a hero too, admittedly not my favourite hero, that was shared between Jim Cruikshank and Donald Ford, but a hero nonetheless. Drew was indeed a gentleman.

RIP Drew Busby, many thanks for the great memories from the great goals you scored, and that home game against Lokomotiv Leipzeig.

My condolences to your family and friends, and my fellow Hearts supporters who saw you play for this fantastic football club.

wentworth jambo
7 minutes ago, pablo said:

Nice picture Wentworth 

Would love to say it's mine but it's not....just shows the Buzzbomb enjoying that day as much as we all did 🙂 

copa-mundial

RIP the legend that is Drew Busby. 

I never got to see him play, but my dad always raves about him. My dad's hero! 

He will be dearly missed by all the Heart of Midlothian family. 

i wish jj was my dad
59 minutes ago, geomac said:

My earliest hero..RIP

Mine too. 

I thought he was indestructible

Was lucky enough to get the lockdown seat figure from Kickback and remember sharing a pint with him in Australian bar in Liverpool before our game down there. People say meeting your idols can disappoint - he didn’t that day and never did on the pitch. RIP

60996756-5DE1-4228-BF85-E0533F040CDE.jpeg

Aw no way. Absolutely loved the Buzzbomb. Met him in the Gorgie suite pre covid and was still in awe of him after all these years. I love the picture of him in the 78 strip, one of my all time favourites. Was proud to see him actually play in the flesh. Such a sad day for all jambos when one of your earliest heroes has passed on. RIP a true Jambo legend Mr Busby. We’ll keep you in our hearts and our songs for evermore 😢🇱🇻

So sad to read this.

The first Hearts player I knew the name of when I was a bairn, and always wanted to be Drew Busby when playing football with my pals.

RIP

Montgomery Brewster

My hero 😔

An absolute leg end. RIP the swiller of the whisky and newccy brown 

jambo-in-furness

A sad sad day in my household 

Rest in peace Drew,  thanks for the memories.

The Apprentice

Too young to have seen Drew play, but my Dad raves about him. Met him in hospitality a couple of seasons ago and my Dad was a nervous wreck, completely starstruck and spoke to Drew like a young boy meeting his hero. He was such a gentleman and happily spoke about his playing days. RIP Drew. 

maroonlegions

Sad new, as i kid going to home and away games  in the 1970s i always looked for his name on the team sheet.

RIP Drew, from a 1970s Hearts  kid , you did this club proud.

The Drew Busby Stand sounds good. Club should name something after him.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Drew Busby R.I.P.