The White Cockade
1 hour ago, scott herbertson said:

Goodbye Drew - many happy memories on the old terracing singing your name

May be an image of 4 people

George Fleming and Frank Liddell in the background 

RIP Drew gone but will not be forgotten 

One of a handful of players who made the 1970’s bearable

Nucky Thompson

Not many players from the 70's still have songs sung about them to this day.

There won't be any Hearts fan today or in 30 years time who won't have heard of Drew Busby 

Robbo-Jambo

Sad sad news 

One of my boyhood favourites 

RIP Drew Busby

Shocked to hear this, Busby and Ford where my heroes when I was a kid.

Busby nets the rebound, RIP.

Robbo-Jambo

Sad sad news 

One of my boyhood favourites 

RIP Drew Busby

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Drew Busby R.I.P.
josey wales

a man that came to the Hearts and shone during some of our darkest days.

Cruikie, Ford and Busby were the three that gave us hope that things could get better.

Every Jambo back in the day knew that if Drew was on the park there would be nothing less than blood sweat and leithers booted in the air.

A truly great Hearts man that will be sadly missed by every Jambo lucky enough to see him terrorise the opposition.

All the best Drew, you knew what playing for the Hearts was all about.

willie wallace

So sorry to hear such bad news.

Always thought he would run through a brick wall to get on the end of a cross.

Used to love his all action style.

RIP 

Kalamazoo Jambo

Oh no. He was a few years before my time but was a legend during a difficult period at Tynecastle. Rest In Peace.

Such a sad day for those of us who followed Hearts in the 70’s and early 80’s.  Gave his all every week.  RIP Drew

23 minutes ago, Morgan said:

My all-time favourite Hearts player.

This news has saddened me deeply.

RIP Mr Busby.

The one player I wish I had seen bud. Sad news.

R.I.P. was standing behind me at the 2012 final. Somebody clicked who he was and loads of folk asking for handshakes and pictures. Looked like he was having the time of his life. 

His two goals against Celtic is an abiding memory of my early Hearts supporting years.

He was generally respected and a good guy who was well liked by his peers.

I know this through a former pro who I've worked beside.

That he had his own song speaks of the fondness he's held in by the Hearts support.

R.I.P

JudyJudyJudy

Never seen him play but heard he was a great player . Now In a legend in song too . A hearts legend . Rip 

Worthing Jambo
1 hour ago, japanjambo said:

That might have been me! 

No photo description available.

When I think of Drew Busby these days I always think of Japan Jambo😢

37 minutes ago, Morgan said:

RIP Mr Busby.

Morgan 

The first time I saw myself on tele was his two goals against Celtic.

Both at the school end.

That morning after playing at Meggatland me and my Celtic supporting mate found a weather thingy wrapped in a black back at the canal.

We sold it for a fiver down the cowgate.

He's got his head planted in his palms while I'm jumping with a haircut like a mushroom.

It's got to me too buddy.

He was a player we all held onto at the time.

japanjambo
6 minutes ago, Worthing Jambo said:

When I think of Drew Busby these days I always think of Japan Jambo😢

I am absolutely gutted. 

Worthing Jambo
2 minutes ago, japanjambo said:

I am absolutely gutted. 

I’ll bet but at least you spent some quality time meeting him over the last few years👍

One of my all time favourites. Do any of you remember him taking a penalty…none of this ‘placing it’ nonsense, he absolutely blootered the ball into the net !! RIP

Under the floodlight

Absolute legend, he will be sorely missed but never forgotten. 

RIP big man.

Drew was one shining light in a shite Hearts team. Absolutely loved the man. Condolences to his friends and family.

2 hours ago, Mad Bad and Dangerous said:

His name is Drew Busby, The talk o' the north, He plays at Tynecastle, Just over the Forth, He drinks all the whiskey and Newcastle Brown, The Gorgie boys are in town...

Na na na na na na na na na na na na na. repeat....

Those were thin times as supporting Hearts but I loved it.

And the support genuinely loved Busby.

An incorrect saying is ‘never meet your heroes’. I know that’s wrong in Drew Busby’s case, as I had the privilege to meet him many times and produce his career story in book format. He was ‘thee man’ as a player. Had a hardman image as he had a robust playing style, but what a lovely, humble man and a complete gentleman in every way. It was a real pleasure to meet and work with him and he was so welcoming when I asked him about doing a book on his career. He was astounded that anyone would be interested 34 years later on, but I reassured him with the fact that he was revered then and now as a real Hearts hero whereby everyone who saw him play in maroon could testify to that fact. I heard the news an hour or so ago and felt very upset. The last time I saw Drew was the semi-final with Rangers at Hampden a couple of years ago when we didn’t turn up and lost 3-0. An all-too familiar tale. Annoying as it was, it happened in the 70s too, but it was always obvious how gutted Drew was when Hearts failed to hit the heights in important games. Leipzig and Killie at home in the Cup (for example) were exceptions. I’m glad Drew recorded his career details in book format so we have that record to look back on as today’s news is simply devastating. Thanks for the memories Buzz and your name will live on due to the fantastic efforts you made as a Super Heart, despite the decline you witnessed at the end of your time at Tynecastle. We still sing that famous song today…

Busby Book.jpg

John Findlay
24 minutes ago, japanjambo said:

I am absolutely gutted. 

Lynn just think of the great memories he has given you both as a young lassie and a grown woman. Money can't buy that.

John Findlay
17 minutes ago, Holtie said:

One of my all time favourites. Do any of you remember him taking a penalty…none of this ‘placing it’ nonsense, he absolutely blootered the ball into the net !! RIP

Only penalty I ever saw him miss was against Dundee whe he blootered the baw right down the middle and although he dived the baw hit Thomson Allan's knees. Because the baw was hit so hard I believe the rebound cleared the penalty box.

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Texaco said:

He'll be sadly missed. A real hero of my youth. Never forgotten and immortalised in song. 

Ready for a Busby blitz.

Malinga the Swinga

Sad day for the club. Grew up watching Drew play and he never gave less than 100% in any game.

There certainly will never be another Drew Busby.

I just opened KB and seen the sad news. RIP Drew, my fondest game watch him was the derby after the game all hibs fans claim they were at, the revenge he gave us that day was sublime.

TorinoJambo
26 minutes ago, Holtie said:

He certainly did. I remember him parting Thomson Allan of Dundee's hair with one before he could move. Two inches lower and it would have taken his head off.

He retired before I was born but he as a friend of my dad's friend. In the final few years of my dad's life (he died in 2015), he became friends with Drew so I met him a few times. I also spent hours pre-match in Liverpool with him, my dad and his friend. I will never forget endless Hearts fans coming up to him to ask for a photo. He was a very nice guy and it was always a pleasure to talk to him.

Hearts Heritage
38 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Only penalty I ever saw him miss was against Dundee whe he blootered the baw right down the middle and although he dived the baw hit Thomson Allan's knees. Because the baw was hit so hard I believe the rebound cleared the penalty box.

Thomson Allan did a 'triple save'. He could certainly hit the ball.

1976-08-14_HEA_2_DND_0_LC_Section_1_of_6-006

PortyBeach
6 hours ago, moonraker said:

Sad news, a beacon of light during a grim period for Hearts, never heard a bad word about him RIP

That says it all, mate. Terrible news. RIP Buzzbomb and condolences to your family.

434C7C2D-CF1B-4928-AE49-50CD31D334CC.jpeg

2 hours ago, Morgan said:

RIP Mr Busby.

A sad day indeed, Morgan.

Drew was a massive part of my 70's childhood and I'll never forget him.

Edited by martoon

Just a wee bit before my time, but heard plenty of stories about him from my old man and his mates whilst in the pub before and after games. 

RIP Drew Busby. Thoughts and condolences to his family and friends.