• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Big Drew

• japanjambo

• John Findlay

• dannymack

Gillsland jack

So sorry to hear this news, my favourite player as a wee laddie in the mid 70s, when Drew headed the ball for a goal, I remember thinking his neck would stretch out about another 10 inches, or so it seemed to my young brain, always scored in the big games and lets face it the club was being run into the ground at the time, Drew Busby was our talisman and I'm not surprised to read on other posts just how much this guy is held in such high regard from fellow similarly aged Jambo's.

RIP Drew Busby, gone but will be NEVER forgotten.

Mister Dee

Oh no. 

My first Hearts hero. 

As a child, how could you not be impressed by his swagger, commitment, skills & ‘tache!  

RIP Drew, thanks for the memories. 
Your songs will always be sung. 

Selkirkhmfc1874

Absolutely Gutted with this terrible new , R.I.P Drew Busby ! thoughts and prayers with the family

colinmaroon

Really heartbroken.

A legend and such a hero for my own kids who came to the games during his time.

wentworth jambo
41 minutes ago, jambovambo said:

Ha .. was just about to post that photo (which I took .. Drew very close after the 5-1 mauling of the hobos. 

He was with the middle-aged balding blokes with glasses club ..

Thanks JV - didn't mean to steal your thunder....just a brilliant photo ♥️

Mad Bad and Dangerous

His name is Drew Busby, The talk o' the north, He plays at Tynecastle, Just over the Forth, He drinks all the whiskey and Newcastle Brown, The Gorgie boys are in town...

Na na na na na na na na na na na na na. repeat....

David Sharp
6 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

Really heartbroken.

A legend and such a hero for my own kids who came to the games during his time.

Totally heartbroken. My HERO. Went to his pub in Alexandria about 9 years ago with Keith Herbertson who was struggling with cancer at the time before he passed away. Drew's wife Annette was also struggling with breast cancer at the time. What an absolute gentleman he was and the stories were unforgettable. My HERO.

EagleJambo

Just heard the news - gutted. One of my heroes in the 70s along with Donald Ford in what seemed a tough few years for Hearts.

John Findlay
13 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

Would love the club to honor his legacy and memory by renaming the current main stand to The Drew Busby Stand. 

I understand why you say this, but for me there are more deserving players than Drew, however I do think a lounge or a bar should be named in his honour.

“They say you should never meet your heroes lest their feet be made of clay” 

Having had the privilege of Drew Busby’s company , and watched his entire Hearts career , that proverb is plain wrong.

Lovely modest man . Rest in peace, Drew.

jambovambo
14 minutes ago, wentworth jambo said:

Thanks JV - didn't mean to steal your thunder....just a brilliant photo ♥️

No I know .. it’s no problem! It is a great photo. Lynn’s one was half time, same game. 

scott herbertson

Goodbye Drew - many happy memories on the old terracing singing your name

May be an image of 4 people

If every player who played for Hearts played for us the way Drew did, we'd never have to worry. One of my first Hearts heroes, so sorry to hear this sad news. 

Stuart Lyon

RIP Drew - a gentleman who I met at a shareholder's dinner. He did a wee video for me to send Japan Jambo but I can't find it. Here's a photos from the 70s>   Here's a link to the video  

stuart.lyon@mac.com_09051702.jpg

Edited by Stuart Lyon

Really sad news, loved the guy.

If only more of our current players had the same attitude for the club and same work rate.

RIP Sir.

Very privileged to have watched Drew playing for us, a no nonsense player, good on the deck as well as in the air. Hard but fair. GBNF

Before my time as a JT but always appears in the all time favourites list. Never heard a negative comment about him.

Sad news indeed 

Tasavallan

So much I would say in his honour but I will leave that for later.

R.I.P. Drew.

SectionDJambo
1 hour ago, jambovambo said:

Ha .. was just about to post that photo (which I took .. Drew very close after the 5-1 mauling of the hobos. 

He was with the middle-aged balding blokes with glasses club ..

Drew asked my son to take a photo of him with someone, I think a lady who was at the final with him.

My boy got a firm handshake as thanks.

Great memory.

One of the 1st players I remember as a kid growing up along with Jim Cruikshank and Willie Gibson. Thanks for all you did Drew. Forever a legend. RIP. 🙏

RIP Drew Busby……normally I just read these threads, but today I must contribute.

Drew was a hero in my teens, a true “centre forward”. 

Long remembered for his “bullet” headers & “rocket” shots from any range. The good & the fun, from hat trick at Arbroath to the “duffed” penalty at the School End.

Off the field at Oldham after a Texaco Cup tie when he came for a pint with the fans when the rest of the squad stayed back in the Stand.

THANKS DREW for so many memories in your time at HMFC, even admired you playing alongside Drew Jarvie at Airdrie!

I hope HMFC wait until the first league match of the season to hold a minute silence in your honour to allow a packed Tynecastle Park to show our respects to a true gentleman who donned the maroon jersey with pride & 100% effort every time you wore it

🥲

Edited by 2205ian
Autocorrect Jarvie to Jarvis!

Sad news.

My first Hearts game was the Lokomotive Leipzig game in 1976 and i still have the programme. 

A Hearts hero to me growing up and I named my first dog after him.

Loftyjambo

Lucky enough to see him and one of my earliest heroes alongside Donald Ford and Jim Cruikshank! Incredibly brave player and from all the lovely comments a very humble and modest man! RIP Drew Busby💔🇱🇻

japanjambo
21 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

Drew asked my son to take a photo of him with someone, I think a lady who was at the final with him.

My boy got a firm handshake as thanks.

Great memory.

That might have been me! 

No photo description available.

Edited by japanjambo

davemclaren
36 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

RIP Drew - a gentleman who I met at a shareholder's dinner. He did a wee video for me to send Japan Jambo but I can't find it. Here's a photos from the 70s>   Here's a link to the video  

stuart.lyon@mac.com_09051702.jpg

Both Drew and Bobby gone now. 

LeylandJambo

I'm deeply saddened by this news. Drew Busby was my first hero in a maroon jersey. R.I.P Drew thoughts are with his family and friends.

Ex member of the SaS

That's the problem with getting old, your hero's and friends/relatives are all passing and weddings are getting fewer. Many a Hearts fan will be feeling this loss, even those too young to have seen him play. Hope the club have something arranged to mark his passing.

Tommy Brown

An absolute hero for us.

Gutted now that I have never met him face to face since signing my autograph book at the start of 73/74 season.

So sorry to hear this! Drew was (and still is) one of my favourite ever Hearts players. The seventies weren't much fun for Hearts fans but Busby's goals were always a highlight. Think my favourite game seeing him was a midweek floodlight match against Killie when he scored both in a two nil win. might have been a cup game. He was brilliant that night. Great player and tough as nails! RIP DREW busby.

Edited by dbusby6

The Old Tolbooth

Extremely sad news, rest in peace Drew, you were an absolute legend for Hearts. 

Thoughts with the family at this sad time. 😢

SectionDJambo
32 minutes ago, japanjambo said:

That might have been me! 

No photo description available.

I think that may be it.

From your posts over the years, I know you were close to Drew.

My condolences to you.

Edited by SectionDJambo

1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

I understand why you say this, but for me there are more deserving players than Drew, however I do think a lounge or a bar should be named in his honour.A little before my time, but clearly a legend and much loved player.  

Others will have their favourites, so I do think your idea is better.   

We should certainly do something, as he was clearly the light during a time, where it sounds like we were awful, and a basket case. 

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Drew Busby R.I.P.