Orange Walk EH today

Stuart Lyon

davemclaren
57 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

It would seem that the solution to Protestant sectarian behaviour in Scotland is to close Catholic schools.  It would also seem that if someone believes something you are sure is wrong, the best way of responding to that is to tell them how moronic they are.  And it also appears that the definitive answer to the question "why do you have no evidence whatsoever for the existence of that supreme being you think exists?" is "don't be such a fool, everyone with a titter of wit knows that my supreme being is unknowable".

Have I captured all that fully? :laugh:

I don’t think you’ve missed much. 

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Watt-Zeefuik

• Unknown user

• The Gorgie

• Hmfc1965

Unknown user
56 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

I mean I could go back over the thread to remind myself, but I feel like I deflected because as you say it was off topic. But after folk lob enough insults masked as questions at you, you kind of want to respond.

The "central point" seems to be that folk have an idea of God in their head that they're sure doesn't exist. I don't really care—the God they're sure doesn't exist doesn't look much like the divine that I know. I can go on for a few hefty chapters about it but I presume nobody else really cares much either, but then that gets called deflecting?

But if the church dies, it dies. It will be resurrected in a way I can't imagine.

Ah you'll be rewarded by eternity away from heathen arseholes, forgive us.

Watt-Zeefuik
2 hours ago, Smithee said:

Ah you'll be rewarded by eternity away from heathen arseholes, forgive us.

Nah, not fussed about the afterlife. And if by some chance Calvin himself was actually right on that score, it's just a crap shoot as to which ones of us are there. (To his credit, his main take on it was, "you're not going to know anyway, so quit worrying about it" which seems decent advice all the way around.)

6 hours ago, Ulysses said:

It would seem that the solution to Protestant sectarian behaviour in Scotland is to close Catholic schools.  It would also seem that if someone believes something you are sure is wrong, the best way of responding to that is to tell them how moronic they are.  And it also appears that the definitive answer to the question "why do you have no evidence whatsoever for the existence of that supreme being you think exists?" is "don't be such a fool, everyone with a titter of wit knows that my supreme being is unknowable".

Separate schools should be abolished in Scotland. Segregation should be outlawed, pronto. Religion should not be an issue when deciding which school you go to, in 2022. 

Teach your kids whichever religion you want on your own time.

Edited by ri Alban

John Gentleman
53 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Separate schools should be abolished in Scotland. Segregation should be outlawed, pronto. Religion should not be an issue when deciding which school you go to, in 2022. 

Teach your kids whichever religion you want on your own time.

It's actually quite bizarre that segregated schools continue to exist, given the self-admitted 'agnosticism' of 56% of the population (2019) -- up 4% points on 2018.
Source:

Scotland's People Household Survey (2019)

7 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Remove the word Protestant and your first sentence will be nearer the truth. Its a two way street.

Edited by Jonkel Hoon