Orange Walk EH today

Stuart Lyon

2 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Now we're getting somewhere.   Why does it matter to you that the British monarchy are not Catholics ?   They're a symbol, thats all - they hold no influence  over our lives or beliefs, and you and thousands of others could continue to worship God in CoS churches.       Or am I missing something ?

To be honest bud, it makes no difference what religion we are. The crown is protestant and that's that and I support it. If you support an other religion/ non religious, cool.  Im not going to preach that you are right or wrong.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Watt-Zeefuik

• Unknown user

• The Gorgie

• Hmfc1965

Lone Striker
3 minutes ago, Sir Craig Gordon said:

To be honest bud, it makes no difference what religion we are. The crown is protestant and that's that and I support it. If you support an other religion/ non religious, cool.  Im not going to preach that you are right or wrong.

We can agree on those 2 things anyway.   And I'm only trying to understand what would change for you personally or the Orange Order if either the British  monarchy abdicated or changed their position as head of a Protestant church (the CoE).   It just seems morally strange (maybe absurd) that a Head of State should be associated with one particular religous denomination (the CoE) anyway.

I'm not a fan of marches anyway - religous or political - unless its to highlight an injustice & demand intervention by government.

Maybe to minimise disruption and promote harmony we could designate one day a year to have all the marches together; Orange,  James Connolly, Pride, Independence, Pedal on Parliament etc.

Imagine the costumes, music, songs and gaiety; would be like Edinburgh's version of the Rio Carnival.

Unknown user
9 minutes ago, Costanza said:

Maybe to minimise disruption and promote harmony we could designate one day a year to have all the marches together; Orange,  James Connolly, Pride, Independence, Pedal on Parliament etc.

Imagine the costumes, music, songs and gaiety; would be like Edinburgh's version of the Rio Carnival.

Yeah, but what about all the people who want to attend, say, both the orange walk and the pride march? We can't have a day of celebration turn into a day of turmoil for such multi faceted people.

12 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

We can agree on those 2 things anyway.   And I'm only trying to understand what would change for you personally or the Orange Order if either the British  monarchy abdicated or changed their position as head of a Protestant church (the CoE).   It just seems morally strange (maybe absurd) that a Head of State should be associated with one particular religous denomination (the CoE) anyway.

I'm not a fan of marches anyway - religous or political - unless its to highlight an injustice & demand intervention by government.

I respect your decision. One thing we can agree on is we love Hearts.

22 minutes ago, jonesy said:

All led together by the penguins from the Zoo, perhaps?

Sounds like a cracking idea to me.

Although we've all heard the stories about penguins that have been stolen in rucksacks from Edinburgh zoo, so as long as we can guarantee the penguins safety, then it's a winner.

On 11/06/2022 at 21:25, Dawnrazor said:

If we didn't separate primary school age kids on the grounds of religion I think that would help.

This. 

On 12/06/2022 at 08:02, Sir Craig Gordon said:

Putting Crown and religion in the same sentence seems quite natural tbh. Both outdated and totally useless....👍.....!!

Geoff Kilpatrick
3 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

I know naught of today's specific march other than what my spouse told me, who was there. As for it being about being pro-Protestantism, I will again repeat that my spouse is a Presbyterian pastor who is currently at New College studying for her Doctor of Ministry degree, and the march utterly turned her stomach. Beyond that I won't say about today's march, because that's all I know.

However, the quickest explanation of why it's an incredibly daft thing to do today is to point out that the marches originated in Northern Ireland to celebrate the victory of forces friendly to William of Orange over local, largely Catholic resistance. Some of the fiercest fighting happened in Derry, and as a celebration the Oranges started a  parade around the old city wall that had been defended. These marches often took on an explicitly anti-Catholic tone (because of course they did, anyway).

One such walk in Derry in 1972 encountered a peaceful protest by local Catholics designed to stop the march from going through an almost entirely Catholic neighborhood. Rather than divert the march because it's a daft and hateful tradition, the police came in and shot 26 people, killing 14. The immediate, direct result of this was the founding of the modern IRA and the beginning of the Troubles.

That anyone is out trying to re-start this utter nonsense and claiming it's just about celebrating Protestantism makes me utterly sick. You want to celebrate Protestantism, go the **** to church on Sunday morning.

EDIT: If it's just about celebrating Protestantism, what TF does that have to do with the Queen or the Union Jack?

Again as a Presbyterian deacon myself, let me say does it **** celebrate Protestantism as a whole. It celebrates British Christian nationalism. (Which I would personally call heretical and borderline demonic, but again, that's me.)

:rofl:

Loving your history sources, which are pretty much bollocks.

FYI, the Orange Order was founded in Loughgall in Co Armagh in 1795 after the Battle of the Diamond after the Peep O'Day boys (Protestants) fought the Catholic 'Defenders'. Nothing to do with marching around Derry's Walls.

As for Protestantism, the Orange Order started as an Anglican organisation. Presbyterians in Ulster, in Antrim and Down where Presbyterianism is still the main religion, were actually very republican at that stage and indeed were at the forefront of the United Irishmen revolution, having been inspired by the American revolution and Ulster-Scots/Scots-Irish forming a majority of the draftees of the Declaration of Independence. The 1798 rebellion started as a call to arms of Protestant, Catholic and Dissenter and turned into naked sectarianism in the south. That caused the Union of 1801 and also caused Presbyterians to become pro-Union.

Orangeism became the expression of that in reaction to the push for Irish Home Rule in the 19th century. Indeed, it was banned numerous times in that time by Dublin Castle. It was taken to Scotland as an outflow of the Industrial Revolution in the Belfast and Glasgow shipyards.

8 hours ago, Section Q said:

Putting Crown and religion in the same sentence seems quite natural tbh. Both outdated and totally useless....👍.....!!

Ok, that's your opinion and that's fine 👍🏻

11 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Respect to you  for putting your head above the parapet on here.   When you say you're "pro-Protestant", what does that  mean ?     My vague understanding of history in the 1500's / 1600s is that a Catholic usurped the English throne, which led to more Catholic kings & queens in England & Scotland - which led to huge bloodshed throughout Europe in the effort to restore the monarchy of Britain to Protestantism.  

If thats a reasonable summary, all the blood shed by folk in a long-running religeous dispute over a figurehead  far away (who probably cared not a jot about the lives of the folk fighting for or against) hardly seems like something to still be celebrating 400 years later.   Does anyone care where today's Royal family go to church... or which church ?    

What would it mean to you if the future King here started attending a different denomination each Sunday ?   

That is far from a reasonable summary of a reformation that affected vast parts of Europe. 

It was largely,  though not entirely,  about the monarchy in England,  but not elsewhere. 

Bindy Badgy

I had the misfortune of running into one of these marches once when I was in Edinburgh city centre. Up to this point, I wasn't aware that they were even a thing in Edinburgh. An old bat yelled at me for "breaking ranks" when I crossed the road and there was a bunch of middle aged pissheads singing something about chicken suppers and "dirty fenian ****ers".

Unknown user
38 minutes ago, Bindy Badgy said:

middle aged pissheads singing something about chicken suppers and "dirty fenian ****ers".

To be fair, that is pretty much my understanding of protestantism

My last address had an Orange Walk pass down the street. 

My dog used to bark at them and had to be restrained. The flutes drove him crazy. 

He didn't like Orange Walks either, who says animals are dumb 😏

The White Cockade

It was created to keep Ireland Protestant

Failed in that so why is not being disbanded?

Howdy Doody Jambo

These marches whatever their reason, political, orange, green, blue, pink whatever, why through the city centre? Oh look at me in a big gang with a flag pish, attention seekers 

Just let them march around Arthur Seat, The Meadows or up and doon the Pentlands rather than disrupt the whole toon with roadworks on top makes it impossible for transport to circulate and people to get on with their everyday day life's 

Selfish a hole's the lot of them 

What do these marchers marching with flags and slogans actually achieve? 

Most people who are switched on and up to date with current and historical events in the world are aware of these issues anyway 

Has anybody ever taken part in one of these marches and gained anything from it? 

Geoff Kilpatrick
8 minutes ago, The Maroon Pound said:

These marches whatever their reason, political, orange, green, blue, pink whatever, why through the city centre? Oh look at me in a big gang with a flag pish, attention seekers 

Just let them march around Arthur Seat, The Meadows or up and doon the Pentlands rather than disrupt the whole toon with roadworks on top makes it impossible for transport to circulate and people to get on with their everyday day life's 

Selfish a hole's the lot of them 

What do these marchers marching with flags and slogans actually achieve? 

Most people who are switched on and up to date with current and historical events in the world are aware of these issues anyway 

Has anybody ever taken part in one of these marches and gained anything from it? 

Depends if there is money in it. Look at how many corporates get involved in Pride now. A great way of showing how good a corporate citizen your company is, pardon my cynicism.

Howdy Doody Jambo
18 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Depends if there is money in it. Look at how many corporates get involved in Pride now. A great way of showing how good a corporate citizen your company is, pardon my cynicism.

Exactly true, the city clowncil probably get weighed in which they put towards bollards, big wooden plant pots to block road's and party's at the City Chambers 

the general
22 hours ago, SectionN said:

Went up and watched with the nephew. No problems and an enjoyable day. 

Didn't even realise it was on

Saw the 2 bands in Gorgie last week

Weakened Offender
7 minutes ago, the general said:

Didn't even realise it was on

Saw the 2 bands in Gorgie last week

There you go, when 60+ year old wannabe Hearts casuals are into this type of thing then you get a sense of how outdated and ludicrous it actually is. 

Edited by Weakened Offender

the general
7 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

There you go, when 60+ year old wannabe Hearts casuals are into this type of thing then you get a sense of how outdated and ludicrous it actually is. 

:)

I was out for my artisan sourdough loaf actually

Jeffros Furios
10 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

If they have guys playing the trumpet you'd be pretty good at that Vinny .

Weakened Offender
23 minutes ago, Jeffros Furios said:

If they have guys playing the trumpet you'd be pretty good at that Vinny .

I certainly seem to be good at playing you. 😊

Here in Kelowna it seems we have a march of some type every weekend, with protest signs, complaints, it causes me no bother at all because I don't go downtown with any regularity, it does make me realise though how lucky I am because the protest marches are usually shown on local TV, and so many of the same faces turn up regardless of the subject matter, I have minimal solely personal discomforts these poor souls are bothered by somethinhg different every week.

jack D and coke
14 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Now we're getting somewhere.   Why does it matter to you that the British monarchy are not Catholics ?   They're a symbol, thats all - they hold no influence  over our lives or beliefs, and you and thousands of others could continue to worship God in CoS churches.       Or am I missing something ?

If the media didn’t tell you prince William was selling the big issue or some other parasite opened a food bank none of us would know or care a ****ing monkeys what they were up to.

They didn’t tell us too much about the queen having money funnelled away in tax havens in the Panama papers though. 

Battered over the head with their dreadful existence lording over us. 
The Brit cult are utterly insane. Keeping us all prisoner to this nonsense in the year of 2022 ffs. 
Imagine being a fully grown adult who celebrates this…

And an Orange walk :rofl: 

A8A322A8-4D57-4A34-8E7C-EC7D207249DB.jpeg

John Findlay
22 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

If the media didn’t tell you prince William was selling the big issue or some other parasite opened a food bank none of us would know or care a ****ing monkeys what they were up to.

They didn’t tell us too much about the queen having money funnelled away in tax havens in the Panama papers though. 

The Brit cult are utterly insane. Keeping us all prisoner to this nonsense in the year of 2022 ffs. 

I would be interested to know how you are being kept a prisoner to both the Monarchy and Orange walks/Parades?

Lone Striker
23 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Whats the pic ?  Plod raiding Michelle Moan's house ?  Or the tax dodging scam behind the posh London sweetie shops ?

jack D and coke
9 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Whats the pic ?  Plod raiding Michelle Moan's house ?  Or the tax dodging scam behind the posh London sweetie shops ?

Orange walk brit cult nonces having their computers seized

jack D and coke
13 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

I would be interested to know how you are being kept a prisoner to both the Monarchy and Orange walks/Parades?

Trapped i am. Trapped. 

i wish jj was my dad
19 hours ago, spirt of 98 said:

You stay in Chapleton also known as Giro Street. You know Rab Carroll? Sure he was a Celtic Man. 

I've been away for 30 years and never lived in Chapelton. I know who he is but haven't a clue who he supports. 

i wish jj was my dad
16 hours ago, Section Q said:

Very good post 

The White Cockade

They stand for bigotry and hatred They stand for nothing positive 

We really shouldn’t have to put up with these irrelevant dinosaurs in this day and age

If they are so worried about defending Ulster from Catholicism what are they doing over here

absolute zoomers 

1 minute ago, The White Cockade said:

We really shouldn’t have to put up with these irrelevant dinosaurs in this day and age

If they are so worried about defending Ulster from Catholicism what are they doing over here

absolute zoomers 

Says the person with Bonnie Prince Charlie as an avatar and a related username?

The White Cockade
1 minute ago, Hmfc1965 said:

Says the person with Bonnie Prince Charlie as an avatar and a related username?

I don’t wander the streets singing Charlie I’d my Darling and shouting Freedom! 😂it’s just an internet nickname ffs

10 minutes ago, The White Cockade said:

I don’t wander the streets singing Charlie I’d my Darling and shouting Freedom! 😂it’s just an internet nickname ffs

Okay. It's okay to be an irrelevant dinosaur on the Internet while moaning about others 

The Real Maroonblood
45 minutes ago, The White Cockade said:

absolute zoomers 

Fair comment. 

The White Cockade
30 minutes ago, Hmfc1965 said:

Okay. It's okay to be an irrelevant dinosaur on the Internet while moaning about others 

It’s the internet mate

it’s for moaning about others 😂

highlandjambo3
19 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Religion is for weak minded people who look for something to cling on to.

Science proves that all religion is a sham.

What came first, dinosaurs or Adam and Eve? 

👍…….. I’m on your bus.

spirt of 98
On 11/06/2022 at 20:53, Punks No Deid said:

It was just some of Chappy Drive that was called Giro Street back in the day Sof98. It’s changed a fair bit now. I don’t live there any more but I’m pretty sure Rab stays in The Drive. 

Good lad Rab used to work with him years ago. 

Scotfotbawfan
On 11/06/2022 at 18:26, Sir Craig Gordon said:

Not once did we stop outside a chapel today. There are arseholes in the OL that I can't deny, I blame the bands actually. Ironically the first time I heard the word fenian today was in a hearts club, hours after the parade. However today passed off as a peaceful celebration of the queens jubilee and im glad there was no trouble from either side.

You blame the bands ?. Without the bands the orange order would be parading to empty streets, its the bands people go to watch.  The fee they recieve is peanuts compared to the outlay they have aswell through the year. 

Unknown user
1 hour ago, Scotfotbawfan said:

You blame the bands ?. Without the bands the orange order would be parading to empty streets, its the bands people go to watch.  The fee they recieve is peanuts compared to the outlay they have aswell through the year. 

Hmm, then I blame the bands too

4 hours ago, Scotfotbawfan said:

I think some of their choice of songs don't help. As I said im not a fan of UVF songs while on parade.

On 11/06/2022 at 12:03, Dirty Deeds said:

The same loons bus it around the country marching all summer. A few local idiots join them and then they pretend that the whole town welcomed them.

The Prestonpans walk pre-covid were a particularly sad looking bunch.

Absolutely HATED their wee marches here. What is it they are saying doing this? 

"We are the protectors of the queen and protestant values"? Is that it? Grow up.

Wee bowler hats and white gloves. Not a pound of them hanging the right way. 3 teeth and 10 days school education between them.

:facepalm:

On 11/06/2022 at 12:54, jonesy said:

Was cutting through the Meadows this morning. Great number of these guys looking shiftily at folk, as if they were either spoiling for a confrontation or were feeling hugely self-conscious, what with it being 2022 and all.

Can't see much wrong with people coming together to celebrate their heritage, mind, even if some of that heritage is less palatable to many of us.

Celebrating heritage is fine. But is that what this is purely about?

Perhaps you’ve already answered the question in your first paragraph.