• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Mighty Thor

• ri Alban

• jack D and coke

• Victorian

2 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Much was being made about the most diverse cabinet ever.

I'm not seeing much diversity.  They're all ****s so far. 

Very rich privileged black people isn't such a big change. 

dobmisterdobster
8 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Very rich privileged black people isn't such a big change. 

Kwasi is from a privileged background but James Cleverly is not.

Brexitshambles

@brexit_sham

·

5m

So we’re having a chuckle about Truss’ cabinet, but the appointment of Steve Baker's man, Chris Heaton-Harris as SoS for NI, six years chair of the ERG, and once accused of breaching ministerial code for off-the-books meeting with the Spanish far-right Vox, is no laughing matter.

Quote Tweet

UK Prime Minister

@10DowningStreet

United Kingdom government organization

· 28m

The Rt Hon Chris Heaton-Harris MP @chhcalling has been appointed Secretary of State for Northern Ireland @NIOgov #Reshuffle

16 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Kwasi is from a privileged background but James Cleverly is not.

Aside from Cleverly going to expensive private schools. Which his children also do. Was Education Minister. 

5 hours ago, Gizmo said:

Wt-actualf-f?

Is he reverting back to lizard form having run out of human blood or something...:laugh:

unknown.png

More highland clearances, with Lord Voldemort at the helm.

She'll be shown the door , by Guy fox night, with Boris back as PM. The UK as always follows the US, and now it's politically fecked, to the point of no return. 

The fascist regime.

Whatever you think of her not sure surrounding yourself with people you trust and/or who back you and your plans is worthy of criticism to be honest. Still as long as it keeps the jimmies rustled. 

40 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Whatever you think of her not sure surrounding yourself with people you trust and/or who back you and your plans is worthy of criticism to be honest. Still as long as it keeps the jimmies rustled. 

Folks wanted a change, looks like we got one. Let's see what she does.

Edited by Japan Jambo

manaliveits105
42 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Fair comment :greggy:

57 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

Yep that’s what I think. Don’t get me wrong I think she’s a idiot but ffs let her get it wrong before she’s criticised for getting it wrong. 

The Mighty Thor
2 hours ago, Dazo said:

The alternative view is that she's merely loaded her 'top team' with the right wing/ERG/UKIP types. 

That does not bode well for the country as every single thing they've championed has left the UK worse off. Every single thing. 

2 hours ago, Japan Jambo said:

I'd proffer that re-arranging the Titanic's deck chairs is not the change required to prevent it's ultimate decent to the ocean floor. 

1 minute ago, The Mighty Thor said:

The alternative view is that she's merely loaded her 'top team' with the right wing/ERG/UKIP types. 

That does not bode well for the country as every single thing they've championed has left the UK worse off. Every single thing. 

I'd proffer that re-arranging the Titanic's deck chairs is not the change required to prevent it's ultimate decent to the ocean floor. 

Frankly she isn't what I'd have chosen and I also fear the worst but she may yet surprise us. One way or another better for us all if she is successful. 

In truth though Thor it wouldn't matter who the Conservatives picked from your perspective, you'd be in with studs showing regardless.

1 hour ago, joondalupjambo said:

I wonder if Thick Lizzy knows how much cheese is produced in Scotland.

Or Gin, Whisky, Oil, Gas, Wind, Waves and we have a number of shitebags, if they want to harvest some manure.

13 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

Frankly she isn't what I'd have chosen and I also fear the worst but she may yet surprise us. One way or another better for us all if she is successful. 

In truth though Thor it wouldn't matter who the Conservatives picked from your perspective, you'd be in with studs showing regardless.

I'd be in studs showing if Jesus played for Hibs, so what's the difference. It doesn't matter who the government is, they need to do something about the cost of living, pronto. But as usual they'll make sure we pay and the big oil and gas firms make profits.

The Mighty Thor
9 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

After 12 years of the firstly vindictive with austerity then weak with Brexit administration of Cameron & Osborne, followed up by May's shambolic yet thankfully short tenure, then Johnson's pantomime lurch right and subsequent wholesale attack on our political and legal systems allied with the outright corruption and raping of the public purse to then be followed up by a PM who is the dictionary definition of failing upwards. The fact that you're not going in studs up would indicate an apathy that leads to where we are today. 

Don't forget, Truss has been there the whole way. The whole 12 years. She's served the lot of them. 

Truss might actually finish the job that Johnson started and destroy the UK once and for all. 

2 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I'd be in studs showing if Jesus played for Hibs, so what's the difference. It doesn't matter who the government is, they need to do something about the cost of living, pronto. But as usual they'll make sure we pay and the big oil and gas firms make profits.

As Covid showed only recently it's difficult to respond quickly without making pretty fundamental mistakes. Personally I'd have preferred a more considered approach but looks like that ship is about to sail.

5 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

After 12 years of the firstly vindictive with austerity then weak with Brexit administration of Cameron & Osborne, followed up by May's shambolic yet thankfully short tenure, then Johnson's pantomime lurch right and subsequent wholesale attack on our political and legal systems allied with the outright corruption and raping of the public purse to then be followed up by a PM who is the dictionary definition of failing upwards. The fact that you're not going in studs up would indicate an apathy that leads to where we are today. 

Don't forget, Truss has been there the whole way. The whole 12 years. She's served the lot of them. 

Truss might actually finish the job that Johnson started and destroy the UK once and for all. 

If you feel I've been giving them a pass you've not been paying attention. One doesn't have to foam at the mouth to be critical.

Not sure why you are thankful for May's defenestration BTW, history is already showing she had a better deal than the one we have now on Brexit and punting her directly led to Johnson. Guess that's what happens though when extremism trumps nuance.

Edited by Japan Jambo

34 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Well you already think the country is ****ed so this should make you happy as it will push us further down the road to oblivion ? 

I’m no fan of her as you know but I’m happy to let her **** up before I get my told you so in there. She may surprise us all yet. 😊

Goodbye graybeards, and farewell Vote Leave: In Liz Truss’ Cabinet, the 2010 misfits have come of age

The new UK prime minister has favored loyalty over experience. Will she come to regret it?

BY ESTHER WEBBER AND ANNABELLE DICKSON

SEPTEMBER 7, 2022 4:00 AM

Mail

LONDON — In their journey to the top, Liz Truss and her clutch of political allies have played the long game.

Truss finally landed the job of U.K. prime minister this week after an extensive — and somewhat checkered — run of middling government jobs since she entered parliament in 2010. She enters Downing Street flanked by two classmates also elected that year: Kwasi Kwarteng, her new chancellor, and Thérèse Coffey, her new deputy PM and health secretary. 

Prior to Truss’ sudden elevation to foreign secretary less than a year ago, none of the three had ever held more than a middle-ranking Cabinet job. They now find themselves the most powerful trio in the country. It’s been quite a journey — though plenty of senior Tories are fearful of where it might lead.

“She risks repeating Boris Johnson’s mistake of favouring allies,” warned Theresa May’s former chief of staff Gavin Barwell on Tuesday. “It will be one of the least experienced [Cabinets] in modern times.

“The country is facing multiple crises right now and we need the most talented people from the governing party in government, not on the backbenches.”

Truss’ press secretary, Alex Wild, insisted the new Cabinet in fact “represents the depth and breadth of talent in the Conservative Party,” pointing out five of her original 10 leadership rivals have been offered key posts.

Joining Truss, Kwarteng and Coffey in the most senior-ranking roles are James Cleverly, the new foreign secretary, and Suella Braverman, the new home secretary, both elected in 2015 and both perpetually lower-ranking ministers who seemed unlikely to reach such giddy heights, despite their obvious ambition. 

In contrast, conspicuous by their absence in Truss’ new top team are the experienced big names who supported her chief opponent Rishi Sunak — not to mention Sunak himself — creating what looks like a Cabinet of ultra-loyalists rather than one which aims to bring together a divided Conservative Party.

Also vanquished are Boris Johnson’s once-powerful Vote Leave cabal, with former Leveling Up Secretary Michael Gove, former Justice Secretary Dominic Raab and former Home Secretary Priti Patel all consigned to the backbenches along with the departed PM. Mooted comebacks for Iain Duncan Smith and David Frost have failed to materialize. Only Anne-Marie Trevelyan, shunted from international trade to transport, survives to fly a lonely Vote Leave flag near the top of government.

And missing too, with the departures of Gove and former Transport Secretary Grant Shapps, are any of the big-name Tories of the pre-2010 era — the so-called party graybeards, who can remember life in opposition. Only Ben Wallace, who as expected retains his job at defense after impressing throughout the Ukraine crisis, bucks that trend.

Truss never looked the most likely of the 2010 intake to reach the highest office in the land, according to several of her contemporaries, and her newly assembled team represents an abrupt reordering of the Conservative Party’s pecking order which even supporters accept could blow up in her face.

Her friends and critics agree she has two or three weeks at most to show her party she has what it takes to lead the country through its current crisis. The clock is already ticking.

Misfits’ revenge

Truss’ final ascent to No. 10 unfolded 12 long years after she was elected MP for South West Norfolk. Always in a hurry to scale the Westminster ladder, the 36-year-old Truss was soon handed the job of junior education minister under David Cameron’s leadership and — two fellow ministers from the time claim — was bitterly disappointed not to be among the first of the 2010 intake to enter Cabinet. 

Her ambitions were soon realized in 2014, when she became environment secretary; and later justice secretary in 2016. Her record in both roles was viewed as patchy at best. 

“She had a bad reputation from having been at Defra [the Department for Food, Environment and Rural Affairs], where she just didn’t do a very good job. She didn’t have departmental grip,” said one of her former junior ministers. “That probably tells you quite a lot about the way that the Conservative Party is now — we are elevating people way beyond their capabilities.” 

As a lively young female member of the new generation of Tory MPs, Truss had been an obvious choice for Cameron’s frontbench — but was never an enthusiastic follower of Cameron’s politics, nor a member of his trusted inner circle.

“She was one of those people who was there because of David, but they weren’t particular fans of David,” said one former Cabinet colleague. “And they were also pretty unhappy with the [Tory-Lib Dem] coalition.” Another ex-minister remembers being asked for advice by Truss on how she could lobby Cameron, given the pair were not close.

Truss did always take a keen interest in policy, having previously worked for the Reform think tank and founded the Free Enterprise Group of Conservative MPs, but her obsession was free-market economics — never a particular driving force for Cameron. 

Kwarteng was of this tradition too and, despite a fierce intellect, amid aggressive jockeying for position in the Cameron governments did not gain even a junior ministerial job until 2017. 

A contemporary said of Kwarteng: “He wasn’t going to play the game of being nice to ministers and whips and all the rest of it. He was an Old Etonian, a little bit arrogant, and came in probably thinking, ‘well, you know, I’m good enough — if they want me, they want me.’” He was the last of the three to enter Cabinet, appointed business secretary last year.

Yet somehow Coffey, Truss’ new deputy PM, has flown even further under the radar, working her way steadily up through any number of low-profile jobs to the lower rungs of Cabinet without ever making any kind of splash.

Coffey and Truss go way back, both winning East Anglian seats in 2010 and bonding as constituency neighbors over a shared love of karaoke.

“Thérèse almost hides her intelligence — she’s got a very sharp brain,” said the same ex-Cabinet minister quoted above. 

The decision to appoint her work and pensions secretary in 2019, following the abrupt resignation of Amber Rudd, proved pivotal for her career. She soon won plaudits for stewarding the department through the pandemic without any major upsets — unlike some of her colleagues.

These three slightly awkward figures, with ideological attachments to the right of the party, were thus never flavors of the month in the Cameron years. And as the Conservative Party transformed itself after his departure, this came to count in their favor.

Beware the big beasts

Helpful too, in the end, for the 2010 trio, was their non-alignment with Gove and Johnson’s Vote Leave project. Truss and Coffey both dutifully backed Remain in 2016, albeit with little enthusiasm, while the Brexiteer Kwarteng was never part of the Vote Leave gang.

That may have cost them bigger jobs when Johnson took power in 2019, but it also left Truss in pole position to take over when he was forced from office, an apparent loyalist who was never too close to be tainted by association.

And it leaves her ideologically free to pursue her chosen path.

The Brexit project as espoused by Johnson put together an electoral coalition of voters who wanted the government to be tough on immigration but were comfortable with higher spending, whereas Truss and her allies are more traditionally right-wing on the economy. The elevations of Jacob Rees-Mogg to business secretary and Simon Clarke to leveling up secretary are further indications of a decisive shift to the right on economic affairs.

A long-serving former MP said: “She wants it to be a sea change. [But] you have might have wanted someone who has held a number of senior jobs but doesn’t want to be leader and isn’t going to rock the boat, behind the scenes, who can say to Liz Truss: ‘Look, what are the unforeseen consequences of doing this?’”

The further danger for Truss in opting not to bring Sunak or his more experienced backers into the tent, is that at a stroke she risks creating a new generation of “big beasts” on the backbenches.

Raab, Gove and Sunak himself “are very recent senior government figures and can’t be brushed off, like [veteran rebel Tories] David Davis or Andrew Mitchell, as having had their day,” pointed out one Sunak-supporting MP.

There are, of course, good reasons why Truss may prefer to rely on her friends at this moment. The economic circumstances in which she takes power are bleak, and she needs allies close by.

“She will just know instinctively she can rely on Kwasi,” said one Cameron-era minister, contrasting this with the angry push-and-pull between Johnson and Sunak. 

There is a decent helping of goodwill behind her for now, with most MPs willing to swallow their private objections for the sake of unity. But if and when things go wrong, they could unravel quickly.

Three Conservative MPs have already expressed surprise at the choice of Wendy Morton for chief whip — the prime minister’s enforcer of party discipline — saying she was “well-liked” but not seen as particularly tough. It may prove to be a pivotal role in the months ahead.

“Let’s see what [Truss] does,” said the same Sunak backer. “If she defines herself very effectively and positively in the next two, three weeks, it could be all right. If not, people won’t have much of a reason to hold back.”

hope I don’t get ripped for post the whole thing as the link may not open for everyone.

https://www.politico.eu/article/goodbye-graybeards-and-farewell-vote-leave-in-liz-truss-cabinet-the-2010-misfits-have-come-of-age/

The Mighty Thor
31 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

If you feel I've been giving them a pass you've not been paying attention. One doesn't have to foam at the mouth to be critical.

Not sure why you are thankful for May's defenestration BTW, history is already showing she had a better deal than the one we have now on Brexit and punting her directly led to Johnson. Guess that's what happens though when extremism trumps nuance.

Isn't it funny how you view me as 'foaming at the mouth' and yet yourself as being a stand up critic of the Tories?

One can be vociferously critical without foaming at the mouth. 

I think you're viewing history through the rosiest of lenses if you believe for a nano-second that May's deal was ever to make it through its gestation period. The same lunatics that are now working Truss from behind were never letting that happen and indeed they didn't. 

You're bang on the money though, their extremism trumped nuance (and a common sense understanding of the UK's place in the global market).

And here we are. 

Here we are. 

The Mighty Thor
26 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Well you already think the country is ****ed so this should make you happy as it will push us further down the road to oblivion ? 

I’m no fan of her as you know but I’m happy to let her **** up before I get my told you so in there. She may surprise us all yet. 😊

The evidence of my eyes and ears tell me the country is in dire straits. 

I'm not sure why you think that would make me happy. I live and work here. I use the services (what's left of them anyway) in this country. 

Do you actually for one minute believe that i get my jollies at the shitshow of our economy?

She won't surprise us. She's filled her cabinet with the ERG/UKIP types. She's now absolutely beholden to the right wing of her party and a matter of a few hours after the criminal stood on the steps of number 10 pleading party unity, she goes out on her own right wing 'Kristallnacht' of the more moderate side of the Tory party. 

I P Knightley

Who'd have thought you could remove Priti Patel, Nadine Dorries and Boris Johnson from the cabinet and ended up with something even worse even without using Matt Handcock or Gavin Williamson??

1 hour ago, Japan Jambo said:

As Covid showed only recently it's difficult to respond quickly without making pretty fundamental mistakes. Personally I'd have preferred a more considered approach but looks like that ship is about to sail.

Why don't they get the opposition parties to number 10 and try to sort this out amongst, the supposed top brains of the UK.

And if they'd shut the borders when Europe was being ravaged with covid, instead of grandstanding and acting the mug, covid wouldn't have done the damage, it was allowed to do.

10 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Why don't they get the opposition parties to number 10 and try to sort this out amongst, the supposed top brains of the UK.

The big error is not sorting out a plan 2 months ago leaving all the uncertainty and stress

Sunak, Truss and Johnson could easily have agreed a plan which would be close to what we'll get. 

The Real Maroonblood
10 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

And if they'd shut the borders when Europe was being ravaged with covid, instead of grandstanding and acting the mug, covid wouldn't have done the damage, it was allowed to do.

Absolutely.

That non action was shameful.

16 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

The big error is not sorting out a plan 2 months ago leaving all the uncertainty and stress

Sunak, Truss and Johnson could easily have agreed a plan which would be close to what we'll get. 

I, personally think they allowed the energy bill to rise to an extent, it doesn't put the companies noses out of joint, when they freeze it. It should be put back to last October, and if not, April, at least. Hopefully folk will get a refund, one day. This is extorting the people. And I have no doubt whatsoever, Boris Johnson should be in front of a jury.

39 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I, personally think they allowed the energy bill to rise to an extent, it doesn't put the companies noses out of joint, when they freeze it. It should be put back to last October, and if not, April, at least. Hopefully folk will get a refund, one day. This is extorting the people. And I have no doubt whatsoever, Boris Johnson should be in front of a jury.

Of course they did, Boris was talking shit with his waiting to see what the cap would be. He knew what the cap would be, the way it's worked out is publicly available.

1 minute ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Key takeaway?

Labour are f****d.

Windfall tax.  Batted away.  Kept on dribbling on about windfall tax.  He made it way too easy to take the piss.  She won that by a mile and a half.

She's very good at the dispatch box tbf.  Answers the question most times.  None of the clownish bullshit of the fat ***** but did pick her times to go on the attack.  It's like night and day from the last ****wit.

4 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Windfall tax.  Batted away.  Kept on dribbling on about windfall tax.  He made it way too easy to take the piss.  She won that by a mile and a half.

She's very good at the dispatch box tbf.  Answers the question most times.  None of the clownish bullshit of the fat ***** but did pick her times to go on the attack.  It's like night and day from the last ****wit.

So winning is the likelihood you will pay for the energy costs and windful profits go to shareholders.

Go Liz.

Edited by Mikey1874

3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Just watching it now. Fat controller got a bigger doing imo.

Do like the change in tone (credit to Starmer too), much more fitting of the location and gravity of the situation.

Looking forward to tomorrows announcement, perhaps she does have a rabbit to pull out of her hat!