Beginning of the end for Twitter?

A Boy Named Crow

Watt-Zeefuik
4 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Chunks of concrete feet across were gouged out of that ex launch pad and scattered for hundreds of yards. I found that incredible, a piece of foam breaking off at launch doomed a shuttle, large chunks of concrete flying around a rocket launch probably at high speed sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

I've seen speculation that the rocket was actually doomed by the corners they cut building the launch site. Concrete breaking up and flying up into the rocket engines. Just batshit stuff.

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Watt-Zeefuik

• Notts1874

• Mikey1874

• Unknown user

Unknown user
14 hours ago, periodictabledancer said:

We've now got the crazy situation where various celebs have blue ticks and are getting abuse on line for "selling out" even though they don't pay for them and fully expected it to be removed. 

The blue tick charge relates to the fact it's very difficult for Twitter to compete with Facebook when it comes to advertising revenues because the average Twitter user is only online for circa 10 minutes (at a time ? *) while FB is WAY more. It's one of the few sure fire ways to raise money.

* Based on an article I read from an ex VP of Twitter (English guy whose name escapes me). He claimed Musk has sacked 80% of all employees and the platform is heading for meltdown and that Musk's aims for increasing ad revenues are basically pie in the sky - just look at the number of CEOs over the last 5-6 years. 

In the week after he bought it I was slagging him, and someone on here asked me what was I expecting? The whole thing to crash?

Well yes! It's taking much longer than I thought to be fair, but he's acted like a self important toddler and doesn't have the staff to deal with problems when they come up. You can't just ditch that much understanding of a tech product that's evolved over years, it'll be full of patches, fixes and workarounds that only experience will understand.

The 20% that are left had to agree to dedicating their waking lives to him too, the boy's a w and a fool.

Edited by Smithee

• 4 weeks later...
Watt-Zeefuik

By bringing Tucker Carlson to the site after his sacking at Fox News and now hosting and effectively endorsing DeSantis's Presidential announcement, Musk is basically trying to turn Twitter into the latest right wing news media site.

Then again, if that's what he wanted, sacking almost the entire ops and infrastructure staff MIGHT not have been the best idea . . . . :rofl:

image.thumb.png.2672dc7e295d37d9700304ec31812b2c.png

Poor Twitter. Couldn't stand the load of SIX HUNDRED THOUSAND THOUSAND PEOPLE, or roughly the half the usual viewership of The Tonight Show.

9 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

By bringing Tucker Carlson to the site after his sacking at Fox News and now hosting and effectively endorsing DeSantis's Presidential announcement, Musk is basically trying to turn Twitter into the latest right wing news media site.

Then again, if that's what he wanted, sacking almost the entire ops and infrastructure staff MIGHT not have been the best idea . . . . :rofl:

image.thumb.png.2672dc7e295d37d9700304ec31812b2c.png

Poor Twitter. Couldn't stand the load of SIX HUNDRED THOUSAND THOUSAND PEOPLE, or roughly the half the usual viewership of The Tonight Show.

What a desaster.

• 2 weeks later...

This interview is the first time I have actually listened to Musk in years.

Elon Musk (Full Interview) | Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO)

• 2 weeks later...
jack D and coke

One thing I’m noticing is I’m constantly getting followed by these “women” recently. All accounts from about march/April 23. 
About 2 or 3 per day. Everyone blocked. 
The **** is that nonsense. 

Unknown user
2 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

One thing I’m noticing is I’m constantly getting followed by these “women” recently. All accounts from about march/April 23. 
About 2 or 3 per day. Everyone blocked. 
The **** is that nonsense. 

Not totally linked but I've started getting FB messages from women who are drawn to me by ancestors and such. Spooky cows if you ask me.

Yon "Free Speech Absolutionist" Musk fella has released a list of words that if you say on Twitter will get you banned.

Apparently "cisgender" is now a slur and carries an instant ban.

:orly?: What a prick.

JudyJudyJudy
3 hours ago, Cade said:

Yon "Free Speech Absolutionist" Musk fella has released a list of words that if you say on Twitter will get you banned.

Apparently "cisgender" is now a slur and carries an instant ban.

:orly?: What a prick.

It is a slur and he’s right . Good on him . Poor “ non cis “ people are raging . 😂😂😂

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

Watt-Zeefuik

image.thumb.png.aa59b0454b339a081f911ca88bf6d960.png

This is exactly what happens when you fire all of your systems and ops people and then make absolute nonsense technical decisions based on what you decided was the problem at 11 PM when you were several bong hits in without actually talking to anyone who, you know, runs web sites.

Edited by Led Tasso

8 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

This is exactly what happens when you fire all of your systems and ops people and then make absolute nonsense technical decisions based on what you decided was the problem at 11 PM when you were several bong hits in without actually talking to anyone who, you know, runs web sites.

Wish Bluesky would expand soon so I can ditch Musk’s wrecking of Twitter.

He’s not got a clue how to run a social network. Once enough folk/compaNoe’s switch to Bluesky I can see Twitter and Trump’s Truth Whatsit merging. 

1 hour ago, Led Tasso said:

They reportedly haven't been paying their google cloud bill and were due to leave at cob 30th June. Assuming they haven't sorted/fully migrated to their new host, the rate limit is probably a response to an "oh shit, we are now on an uncontracted metered service" with the costs rising very quickly.

periodictabledancer
1 hour ago, Gizmo said:

They reportedly haven't been paying their google cloud bill and were due to leave at cob 30th June. Assuming they haven't sorted/fully migrated to their new host, the rate limit is probably a response to an "oh shit, we are now on an uncontracted metered service" with the costs rising very quickly.

It's been (and still is) a total shit show. 

1 minute ago, Marvin said:

It's been fecked all day. Currently shows my location as The Earth 🌎 

And which planet are you actually on then?

6 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Mars 😉

Bloody hell. Twitter's useless then. Unless you're using a VPN through Earth of course.

Have a good one up there! It's been a while since I've been.

Watt-Zeefuik
2 hours ago, Gizmo said:

Wow. Failing at the absolute basics of web hosting and sysadmin.

Watt-Zeefuik
2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Bloody hell. Twitter's useless then. Unless you're using a VPN through Earth of course.

Not what it used to be. AirBnB ****ing everything up as per usual.

2 hours ago, Gizmo said:

1 minute ago, Led Tasso said:

I never said a word.  :whistling: 

11 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

Not what it used to be. AirBnB ****ing everything up as per usual.

B*stards. Mars was a fine place. It used to be plain old beautiful Mars, and now ever since we went and colonised it, it's become M:a:r:s.

13 minutes ago, redjambo said:

VPN set to Manchester when I'm out. Unless I'm watching us on HeartsTV 🤫

which probably explains a lot.  

Watt-Zeefuik

There's a scene in the Social Network where Zuckerberg chews out Eduardo Savarin for faffing around with the bills and not signing off on things on time, and that it's a problem because a website like Facebook is worthless if people feel like it goes down all the time. While dramatized, something like this is apparently what caused Zuck to cut Savarin out of the company (and later settle in court for a huge sum).

And now all these years later, what does Musk do?

Unknown user
5 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

I'm surprised it's still a going concern TBH, the stack's been much sturdier than I'd imagined. Just a matter of time you have to think though

hughesie27

The first thing they teach you in Social Media platform University is to arbitrarily limit your users ability to use the platform.

Limiting most users to only reading 600 tweets a day

:cornette: Elon's a complete prick. Sooner he fecks off to Mars the better.

Watt-Zeefuik
9 hours ago, Smithee said:

I'm surprised it's still a going concern TBH, the stack's been much sturdier than I'd imagined. Just a matter of time you have to think though

The thing about good systems administration is that if you do it right, it will all run without you for a while. But the longer you go on autopilot like that, the more risk you have of something going badly wrong, and the longer it takes to fix it.

This is how it kept running for a while after he sacked everyone. But this kind of increasing failure and brittleness is exactly what I expected to happen. The rate limit was just another big wrench in the works because they totally implemented it wrong and didn’t coordinate with a change in the front end code, so it turned their own web client into a DDOS bot for attacking their own servers.

The sheer volume of fail is staggering.

Unknown user
9 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

The thing about good systems administration is that if you do it right, it will all run without you for a while. But the longer you go on autopilot like that, the more risk you have of something going badly wrong, and the longer it takes to fix it.

This is how it kept running for a while after he sacked everyone. But this kind of increasing failure and brittleness is exactly what I expected to happen. The rate limit was just another big wrench in the works because they totally implemented it wrong and didn’t coordinate with a change in the front end code, so it turned their own web client into a DDOS bot for attacking their own servers.

The sheer volume of fail is staggering.

You spelled pleasing wrong

periodictabledancer

Talking with my lad today about the latest Twitter fiasco. He says his employer , massive French multinational,  signed a 50 year fixed term deal with Twitter just before Musk took control. It looks like that contract is now dead in the water and they're mulling over their next steps. They cannot function without the data scrapes as it's a key part of the data capture they perform as part of their core business analysis for/on  clients. Currently 1k legal cases agaanst Musk pending in the US courts alone.

hughesie27
19 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

Anybody decided to give Threads a bash? 

Member number 250042. Early adopter. It seems to be basically instagram but with tweets. Can't see anywhere for trending topics.

Just now, hughesie27 said:

Member number 250042. Early adopter. It seems to be basically instagram but with tweets. Can't see anywhere for trending topics.

Yeah i decided to make one too just now as it was so easy from my Instagram. 

I can't see much that'll keep me interested in it but who knows. Having a wee muck about on it and as an app it's not a bad experience. 

hughesie27
Just now, BlueRiver said:

Are Hearts on it? I can find see every other SPFL club just about but not us. 

You can check who has it by looking at the bio on Instagram..  Will have their member number there if they have it.

1 minute ago, hughesie27 said:

You can check who has it by looking at the bio on Instagram..  Will have their member number there if they have it.

Ah cheers! 

1 hour ago, hughesie27 said:

Can you restrict your feed to posts from people you follow?  Can you view posts in the order you want, rather than whatever the algorithm chucks at you?  I read someone saying on Bluesky last night that you see posts from everyone, regardless of who you follow, and that you can't view most recent posts at the top of your feed.