Boyce

NB GIN

been here before
1 hour ago, Bob Loblaw said:

This thread was originally started to praise how good he was and how valuable he was to the team. It's not even a month old and now he's finished. 

Today was poor, on the back of another poor game last week but guys at this level have dips in confidence and performance levels. 

You don't go from being integral to the team,  to being washed up in a month. I'd rest him on Wednesday and let him come on when the game is a bit stretched, maybe let him build up a bit of confidence.

This thread was originally started after a poster got all excited at Boyce having a good game (St Mirren cup game I think) which turns out to be the exception that proves the rule.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BackOfTheNet

• Sooks

• Fozzyonthefence

• Dick Dastardly

He's been regressing at an alarming rate in the last couple of months , its got to the stage where all he is bringing is workmate with very little quality or end product.

BackOfTheNet
1 hour ago, Bob Loblaw said:

This thread was originally started to praise how good he was and how valuable he was to the team. It's not even a month old and now he's finished. 

Today was poor, on the back of another poor game last week but guys at this level have dips in confidence and performance levels. 

You don't go from being integral to the team,  to being washed up in a month. I'd rest him on Wednesday and let him come on when the game is a bit stretched, maybe let him build up a bit of confidence.

Thing is though, I feel people were going way overboard in his praise when he had decent performances. Like 7’s or an 8 at a push performances. I don’t think he’s integral to the team, and as my previous team line up post shows I think we’d be better with him not in the team. I’m not reacting to one or two performances, a wee gander at my post history and you’ll see that although I’ve been critical in the past I do give praise where it’s due. But I’ll never say he’s been unstoppable at any point in our season, even back when he could score a penalty against lower league opposition in the wee cup.

Pans Jambo
6 minutes ago, ramrod said:

He's been regressing at an alarming rate in the last couple of months , its got to the stage where all he is bringing is workmate with very little quality or end product.

He awful. Lets get better in the summer. Not personsal. Lets just improve. 

Maroonjam
33 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Thing is though, I feel people were going way overboard in his praise when he had decent performances. Like 7’s or an 8 at a push performances. I don’t think he’s integral to the team, and as my previous team line up post shows I think we’d be better with him not in the team. I’m not reacting to one or two performances, a wee gander at my post history and you’ll see that although I’ve been critical in the past I do give praise where it’s due. But I’ll never say he’s been unstoppable at any point in our season, even back when he could score a penalty against lower league opposition in the wee cup.

100% he hit a spell when Simms came.in where he played the #10 role well but that was only a couple of games. He wastes too many chances and passes when a simple pass is on he just holds into the ball

Nelly Terraces

See in the final, every chance we might create has to be made to count.

Would you fancy Boyce to be on the end of any of these? Nah, me neither.

Edited by Nelly Terraces

BackOfTheNet
22 minutes ago, Maroonjam said:

100% he hit a spell when Simms came.in where he played the #10 role well but that was only a couple of games. He wastes too many chances and passes when a simple pass is on he just holds into the ball

Even today, he had a pass on in the first half to Ginnelly, he made it - eventually - and even then Ginnelly had to look behind him to gather it. What should have happened is it should have been released much quicker and yards ahead of Ginnelly so he was in effect through on goal. Hart would like have had a rush of blood to the head and raced out too. Then the second half he just ponderously wanders into Celtic’s defenders and loses the ball, when either Ginnelly or Simms were there for a pass, and they go up and make it 3-1. He has redeeming qualities, but not many. We’ve outgrown him, I’m being truthful. So many that repeat the mantra “we move on” after crap defeats like this rarely want to move on from a player whose evidently past his peak and now being a detriment to us.

Dick Dastardly
1 minute ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Even today, he had a pass on in the first half to Ginnelly, he made it - eventually - and even then Ginnelly had to look behind him to gather it. What should have happened is it should have been released much quicker and yards ahead of Ginnelly so he was in effect through on goal. Hart would like have had a rush of blood to the head and raced out too. Then the second half he just ponderously wanders into Celtic’s defenders and loses the ball, when either Ginnelly or Simms were there for a pass, and they go up and make it 3-1. He has redeeming qualities, but not many. We’ve outgrown him, I’m being truthful. So many that repeat the mantra “we move on” after crap defeats like this rarely want to move on from a player whose evidently past his peak and now being a detriment to us.

You're liking the word ponderous today, aren't you? 😊

BackOfTheNet
6 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

You're liking the word ponderous today, aren't you? 😊

Tell me it’s not the most accurate description for his play?

Fire_At_The_Disco

He was doing well early season, has regressed badly though. 

Edited by Fire_At_The_Disco

best in the land

Too few good games from Boyce.

Need 2 new strikers and a number 10.

If Boyce is still here then just back up.

1 minute ago, best in the land said:

Too few good games from Boyce.

Need 2 new strikers and a number 10.

If Boyce is still here then just back up.

Do you think McKay would make a good number 10? Was hoping Boyce would be subbed and McKay moved there today. 

1 hour ago, johnking123 said:

He has been good for us this season. But will be looking at better for next season. Going to take time to build a good squad.

Agree with you he has been good this season and he will not be finished yet this season either …………….. I expect us to up grade any player if the opportunity arises like any good team

Dick Dastardly
1 hour ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Tell me it’s not the most accurate description for his play?

It does fit well with his last few performances, i will concur

Liam Boyce is streaky he will score goals and he will have dry spells but even when he is going through barren spells others benefit from his hard work

BackOfTheNet
Just now, Sooks said:

Liam Boyce is streaky he will score goals and he will have dry spells but even when he is going through barren spells others benefit from his hard work

We genuinely conceded a goal today because he couldn’t dribble a ball two yards

joondalupjambo

I have a feeling Boyce will play well in the Final if he is rested Wednesday and only comes on as a sub next Saturday.  Hunger, desire to win and points to prove will play a part in the big one.

Leveins Battalion

Boyce too often picks the ball up 25 yards from goal and falls on his arse or surrenders possession,frustrating as ****.

5 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Okay mate if you think so I doubt I will change your mind over what he brings to the team ………… I for one will be a lot happier to see him on the pitch at Hampden though and I would be more than a little pessimistic about our chances

7 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

I have a feeling Boyce will play well in the Final if he is rested Wednesday and only comes on as a sub next Saturday.  Hunger, desire to win and points to prove will play a part in the big one.

I think his mind is too focussed on potentially winning a trophy it is something that the majority of players in our league never accomplish ………. I think he will be a different animal in the final compared to these irritating bounce games

BackOfTheNet
24 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Okay mate if you think so I doubt I will change your mind over what he brings to the team ………… I for one will be a lot happier to see him on the pitch at Hampden though and I would be more than a little pessimistic about our chances

I’m not saying he’s useless or anything. He has ability. But for how we play, we need someone like Simms up top, someone who can run channels, win flick ons, lay offs and can play one touch passing fluidly. In behind we need someone like McKay who can find the passes into channels and can find them quickly. I’d be more than happy if Boyce starts on the bench for the final.

Adam_the_legend
42 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I can’t think of another hearts player who has lost possession more than boyce this season. He is a liability at this point and if he’s here next season I hope it’s only as a squad player. Much better player required in that position. 

Independence

What is wrong with him? Terrible today, terrible against H1b5 in the semi-final. It's like playing with 10 men!!!!!

Tom Hardy’s Dug
1 hour ago, jr ewing said:

Shame for him 😕 

I agree 

You know he is doing whatever he can to be effective - it just isn’t working anymore.

Maybe his calf issue has slowed him down more than we think?

Whatever the case we need a better equivalent than him starting next season and we should find one relatively easily.

Jambo_Gaz

This. He's utterly finished at this level now and it's sad to see. We definitely need a replacement for him next season. 

22 minutes ago, Jambo_Gaz said:

This. He's utterly finished at this level now and it's sad to see. We definitely need a replacement for him next season. 

I'm getting so many flashbacks to Naismith when I watch him play now and it's so frustrating. As soon as you start playing players because of how good they USED to be then it's over. GMS is another prime example. So many chances are going to absolutely hee haw because of him now. It's started as a bad spell but he doesn't seem to have snapped out of it.

Jambo_Gaz
Just now, Sertse said:

I'm getting so many flashbacks to Naismith when I watch him play now and it's so frustrating. As soon as you start playing players because of how good they USED to be then it's over. GMS is another prime example. So many chances are going to absolutely hee haw because of him now. It's started as a bad spell but he doesn't seem to have snapped out of it.

Yep spot on. I like them both but we can't be loyal to guys that are past it and let's be honest they are both on good wages. 

Just now, Jambo_Gaz said:

Yep spot on. I like them both but we can't be loyal to guys that are past it and let's be honest they are both on good wages. 

Hopefully next week they let the youngsters play and we can see what their conversion rate looks like. Euan Henderson seems to be scoring for fun in the lower leagues as well, I'd put good money on him scoring chances Boyce has fecked beyond all comprehension. I've nothing against him personally, he's just not on the level we need now at all - similar to when Ginnelly was easily one of our best players and now he's not, to put it politely. The team has come on so much that it shouldn't be viewed as a negative if huge players for us like Boyce can't cut it, it shows how far we've come.

5 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

HYPOTHETICAL TEAM FOR FINAL

Gordon

Atkinson

Souttar

Halkett

Kingsley

Cochrane

Haring

Devlin

McKay

Ginnelly

Simms

Would you play Boyce in that team ahead of anyone else? I wouldn’t.

Ahead of Ginnelly easily.

BackOfTheNet
3 minutes ago, Ked said:

Ahead of Ginnelly easily.

For me that makes the team uneven and we won’t get the ball up the field fast enough. Do you play Boyce left, right or centre? If centre then who goes wide, Simms? Or do you want two up top with McKay in behind and width solely from Cochrane and Atkinson?

6 hours ago, Nelly Terraces said:

He could have absolutely no complaints if he wakes up on cup final day & finds his name missing from the squad, never mind the starting 11. His performances are about pub league standard. 

Your last sentence is nonsense.

He works well with Simms .

Yes he has squandered chances .

His movement for his goal against Utd was great.

He's busy in between the opposition defence and midfield.

Neilson would have dropped him if he hadn't been so effective.

That's the first game in 11 we have lost.

Clumsy game today but he needs to start at Hampden.

12 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

For me that makes the team uneven and we won’t get the ball up the field fast enough. Do you play Boyce left, right or centre? If centre then who goes wide, Simms? Or do you want two up top with McKay in behind and width solely from Cochrane and Atkinson?

Boyce right Mckay left

Simms Centre.

Ginnelly for me doesn't impact a game enough.

Boyce makes us better.

He also defends better and we will need that.

BackOfTheNet
1 minute ago, Ked said:

Boyce right Mckay left

Simms Centre.

Ginnelly for me doesn't impact a game enough.

Boyce makes us better.

He also defends better and we will need that.

I’m not overly convinced by Ginnelly right now either. But for shape of the side and the Hampden pitch, I’d rather we kept the width, and Boyce is no good out wide. He doesn’t run the channel well at all and has little to no pace to beat and man or stay ahead of him.

Just now, BackOfTheNet said:

I’m not overly convinced by Ginnelly right now either. But for shape of the side and the Hampden pitch, I’d rather we kept the width, and Boyce is no good out wide. He doesn’t run the channel well at all and has little to no pace to beat and man or stay ahead of him.

Good point actually.

Still feel Boyce works better with Simms and you have to look at what makes the big man work.

But aye you make a good case.

Rick Sanchez

He's not earning himself a new deal like the others have. Can be decent, can be shite.

I'll be honest, if he was lining up against us nowadays I wouldn't be overly worried.

Maple Leaf
4 hours ago, Fire_At_The_Disco said:

He was doing well early season, has regressed badly though. 

That's true.  There has been a sad transformation in him from earlier in the season. 

I don't doubt he's giving 100% effort in every game, so full marks for that, but his skill and his confidence seem to have evaporated.

colinmaroon

Seems quite unstable emotionally, in football terms at least.

Happened down south as well I think.  Goes off the boil and suddenly its as if the confidence has totally gone.

Used to him having z dreadful first ten minutes but it's as if he Dores in spite of himself at times, gets yhe break and then he has a moment like his zoomed early on v Hibs when Simms was right there for a simple square ball, and he's gone.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
2 hours ago, Ari Gold said:

Decent player going through a bad run of form. 

A 1/2 season loss of form.

Not what we need when the average contract of a player sill be c. 2.5 years.

i wish jj was my dad

He's been very good this season but had two or three crap games albeit he is working his tail off. I wouldn't write him off by any means but he needs to up his game if he wants to play in the final. And he will know that. 

Bob Loblaw

I genuinely think folk have to calm down a bit in regards to saying he's finished. He's what, 30? He's had spells before he's not played well and then went on a good run. Should his place be guaranteed? No, no ones should. But I personally still think he's an important player for us and was performing well literally weeks ago.

His movement is still excellent, which is why he gets so many chances. He needs to start taking them, no doubt, but if he tucks away one or two people will soon get off his back. 

Bob Loblaw
6 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

He's been very good this season but had two or three crap games albeit he is working his tail off. I wouldn't write him off by any means but he needs to up his game if he wants to play in the final. And he will know that. 

Agree with this. Been good, currently toiling a bit. It's not like he won't know it himself. 

Funny thing about Boyce is I think he's right footed but takes a lot of shots with his left foot.   Misses a lot because of it.   He takes penalties with his right foot, so I'm taking from that he's right footed naturally.   

I thought I'd have a look at transfer market to see what his prominent foot is.    It says left.   I think they base that on how often he uses his left foot. 

Not important but I thought post it. 

Handy player to have against any club other than the OF. 

If Liam Boyce is the answer, we need to start asking different questions. 

He takes far too much time to do things, and needs to line things up so that they are entirely obvious to everyone on the pitch before he does them. 

He's done a good job for us, but we will not be doing anything of any note in Europe with him up front. 

HeartsandonlyHearts

Ginnelly gets the ball up the field fast. Stops, and knocks the ball backwards 90% of the time. Ginnelly is not better than Boyce on his game. Granted Boyce has not been on his game lately but for me must start before Ginnelly. JMO

BackOfTheNet
11 minutes ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

Ginnelly gets the ball up the field fast. Stops, and knocks the ball backwards 90% of the time. Ginnelly is not better than Boyce on his game. Granted Boyce has not been on his game lately but for me must start before Ginnelly. JMO

Same questions in my quoted post apply then, where would you play Boyce instead of Ginnelly in that line up? Out wide or through the centre and move Simms out wide? I’d prefer one of Ginnelly, GMS or Woodburn were on their game to make it a firing on all cylinders front three, but none of them are. But Simms is, so you don’t drop him from the central striker role. For me, having two up top or one with two centrally in behind leaves us too narrow. Ginnelly at least, even with his stop starts, has moments where he can get in behind, or put in a fantastic whipped cross or a decent long range effort. Boyce saunters with the ball for 5 or 6 touches too long and releases it too late. To compete in the final we need to take it to Rangers and do things with them having little time to think. Having Boyce keep the ball allowing them to get players back and sort out their own positional sense and even have time to organise who’s picking up who before he releases it / gets tackled will just allow Rangers to get comfortable knowing our threat will be minimal.

The Future's Maroon

I like him, he can put the ball in the net but ffs so many times I find myself saying “pass it” or “lay it off”….followed by “fecking ten seconds ago, no now ya trumpet”

3 hours ago, Jambo_Gaz said:

It is interesting, we all think about the progress we have made but if Simms is a no for next season we probably need four new signings of better quality than we have for the forward areas. 

significant recruitment drive required again!

franco2209

How anyone can defend him after that insipid performance defies logic. His bad form is now far outweighing his good. He , and I use the term loosely, (runs) like a drunk man with lead in his boots. The demise to see is painful, his legs have gone,a busted flush , a la Hughes, Berra .No more than a squad player next season.