• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BackOfTheNet

• Sooks

• Fozzyonthefence

• Dick Dastardly

stirlingshirejambo

Love to see the stats but I would wager Boyce and MacKay make more challenges in the final third than many other forward players in the league. Not often you get such good defensive work from strikers which only adds to their all round use to the team

Batistuta87
18 minutes ago, Mr Kipling said:

Reminds me a bit of Naisy tbh! 

Anyway, he was superb today!

Very like Naismith since he stopped playing as an out and out striker. His work rate has been sublime the last 3-4 games. 

It takes decent management to recognise when a player would be better in a different position and to have the ability to get the player to realise that and to train for the new position.

Boyce has been great since he dropped back to an attacking midfield role. 

52 minutes ago, Mr Kipling said:

Reminds me a bit of Naisy tbh! 

Anyway, he was superb today!

Definitely his position zero doubt 

Humble pie from me.  He is revelling in the #10 role.  What a difference from the start of the season. 

I'm in the same boat as many on here, found him frustrating at times when he was playing as centre forward, but constantly dropping back to get on the ball, meaning we had no figurehead.  Since Simms came in, Boyce has excelled playing as the 10, I really didn't appreciate just how good a footballer he was until the past couple of months.

• 4 weeks later...

Absolutely miles off it today. Again. I'm worried he's now going the way of Naismith. Surely we're looking for replacements? 

His link up play is usually good but it's been getting worse and worse. 

Don't think this is a knee jerk reaction because of the game, I'm not arsed about the result at all. He's simply not performing to the standard we need.

Beginning to become unreliable he needs to step it up or he will be warming the bench next season 

if he scores the winner in the cup final then i'll get his name tattooed on my meat snd two veg

Paul Shark
10 minutes ago, Sertse said:

Absolutely miles off it today. Again. I'm worried he's now going the way of Naismith. Surely we're looking for replacements? 

His link up play is usually good but it's been getting worse and worse. 

Don't think this is a knee jerk reaction because of the game, I'm not arsed about the result at all. He's simply not performing to the standard we need.

Do you think that the absence of several of our better players, Baningime,Detling, Souttar and Halkett etc might also have an effect on guys like Boyce ? 

Jambo 4 Ever
On 12/03/2022 at 21:56, cosanostra said:

He's quality. Wish he was a bit faster but if he was, we wouldn't be able to afford him.

You still think this?

1 minute ago, Paul Shark said:

Do you think that the absence of several of our better players, Baningime,Detling, Souttar and Halkett etc might also have an effect on guys like Boyce ? 

Them not being on the pitch doesn't excuse him wasting chances, dithering and being slow. Had all those issues when they were all fit.

1 minute ago, Paul Shark said:

I think he's just lost it completely.

During the semi final every second touch was a tackle and he has missed several one on one chances when clean through against the keeper in recent weeks.

I've been a huge fan in the past but based on the last 2 months I'd struggle to put his name on our starting 11.

1 good game in 5 at the moment

’but he’s our top goal scorer’ 

Yep, from goals way back start of season. Minimal return since his calf injuries 

Hold up play is poor. Looses the ball easily. Slow. Doesn’t press well. Makes poor runs. Doesn’t come deep to actually try and effect the game. Too happy standing around waiting for the ball to come to him

his misses in recent weeks really capped it all off

He’s had a good season and I still like him as a player (think he needs a rest tbh) but shouldn’t start the cup final and shouldn’t start for us next season

Edited by R1874

Nelly Terraces

He could have absolutely no complaints if he wakes up on cup final day & finds his name missing from the squad, never mind the starting 11. His performances are about pub league standard. 

Gordon Ramsay

Still think he's a good player but we need an upgrade in the summer. Would keep Boycie around though.

Not Shankland though, don't rate the guy. Need better. 

Bob Loblaw

This thread was originally started to praise how good he was and how valuable he was to the team. It's not even a month old and now he's finished. 

Today was poor, on the back of another poor game last week but guys at this level have dips in confidence and performance levels. 

You don't go from being integral to the team,  to being washed up in a month. I'd rest him on Wednesday and let him come on when the game is a bit stretched, maybe let him build up a bit of confidence.

stevie1874
3 minutes ago, R1874 said:

Yep, from goals way back start of season. Minimal return since his calf injuries 

Hold up play is poor. Looses the ball easily. Slow. Doesn’t press well. Makes poor runs. Doesn’t come deep to actually try and effect the game. Too happy standing around waiting for the ball to come to him

He’s had a good season and I still like him as a player (think he needs a rest tbh) but shouldn’t start the cup final and shouldn’t start for us next season

Can’t really argue with anything you’ve said. Needs benched 

Paul Shark
2 minutes ago, Bauld said:

I think he's just lost it completely.

During the semi final every second touch was a tackle and he has missed several one on one chances when clean through against the keeper in recent weeks.

I've been a huge fan in the past but based on the last 2 months I'd struggle to put his name on our starting 11.

I agree, the poor attempt at a cross early in the semi final kind of set the scene. He seems yo be a confidence player and if he messes up early his game seems to fall to pieces.

Problem is there's no one else, because a shit Boyce is still better than Woodburn, Ginnelly and Mackay - Stevens.

Monsieur Maroon

A good player in bad form.  Could maybe do with a break, but then again our squad is so light.

Since the semi final win Boyce will have been going over the last semi and final in his head and re playing what he did well and what he did poorly he will be thinking about his chance to lift the Scottish Cup every minute of every day …………….. he will definitely play in the final and he will be at his absolute best

3 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

Scored 3 in his last 18 games…not great.

Scores one in a win the last game of the season and not one person will care

Agentjambo
Just now, Sooks said:

Scores one in a win the last game of the season and not one person will care

Oh well that’s ok then.

queensferryjambo

I love Kickback.

Reading this thread if you were from the outside looking in Boyce is a sublime, shite, superb, lazy, magnificent, unreliable, RollsRoyce, waste of space potential legend.

:) 

Nelly Terraces

Remember his fresh air swipe when all he had to was side foot it to Simms for a virtual tap in at Hampden? Landed on his arse like a drunk. It was laughable. Then after that his obligatory ‘only the keeper to beat’ miss. This guy costs us week after week & almost did that day as well. 

Needs dropped.

Pasquale for King

Great tackler, not on a good run of form at all and hopefully the chances we create in the final fall to Simms. 

Agentjambo
10 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Would it not be to you

Not bothered who scores tbh.need to look at the bigger picture going forward.

9 minutes ago, queensferryjambo said:

I love Kickback.

Reading this thread if you were from the outside looking in Boyce is a sublime, shite, superb, lazy, magnificent, unreliable, RollsRoyce, waste of space potential legend.

:) 

Totally : - D

1 minute ago, Agentjambo said:

Not bothered who scores tbh.need to look at the bigger picture going forward.

That is not what I asked you ….. would you care if he did nothing of note before the final but scored in a cup final win

queensferryjambo
8 minutes ago, Nelly Terraces said:

Remember his fresh air swipe when all he had to was side foot it to Simms for a virtual tap in at Hampden? Landed on his arse like a drunk. It was laughable. Then after that his obligatory ‘only the keeper to beat’ miss. This guy costs us week after week & almost did that day as well. 

Needs dropped.

Costs us week after week? 

That was our first defeat in 11 games.

Winning 7, drawing 3 of the 11. 

been here before
28 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

Scored 3 in his last 18 games…not great.

Aye but he's our top scorer though...

He's pish.

Edited by been here before

He’s in awful form. And I can no longwr say he just aint a good finisher but all the rest of his game is good. Because yhe rest of his game has been pap for weeks. 

We needed McKay and Boyce timo retain possession today and they gave it away constantly. 

BackOfTheNet
32 minutes ago, R1874 said:

This. Add in that he doesn’t know how to run the channels, has next to no pace, ponderous on the ball ALWAYS, and can barely deal with a centre back marking him. 3 goals in the last 20 Hearts games. I genuinely think we’d be better off without him on the pitch. If we need to chase the game for a goal and we’ll be lumping balls into the box and we want someone there to finish? Then it might be an idea to bring him on. (We just have to hope he has 4 or 5 chances so he can convert one)

Tasavallan
2 minutes ago, been here before said:

Aye but he's our top scorer though...

He's pish.

Deduct penalties scored.

BackOfTheNet

HYPOTHETICAL TEAM FOR FINAL

Gordon

Atkinson

Souttar

Halkett

Kingsley

Cochrane

Haring

Devlin

McKay

Ginnelly

Simms

Would you play Boyce in that team ahead of anyone else? I wouldn’t.

upgotheheads
17 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

This. Add in that he doesn’t know how to run the channels, has next to no pace, ponderous on the ball ALWAYS, and can barely deal with a centre back marking him. 3 goals in the last 20 Hearts games. I genuinely think we’d be better off without him on the pitch. If we need to chase the game for a goal and we’ll be lumping balls into the box and we want someone there to finish? Then it might be an idea to bring him on. (We just have to hope he has 4 or 5 chances so he can convert one)

Sadly true.

54 minutes ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

Still think he's a good player but we need an upgrade in the summer. Would keep Boycie around though.

Not Shankland though, don't rate the guy. Need better. 

This I agree on. Boyce will be a bit part player next season. 

Right now he still contributes. See his assist for our goal today. 

jock _turd

He is not a goal scorer end of. He has been labelled our top scorer and this is in fact our problem if that numpty is our leading scorer you really wonder how we ended up third... and a comfortable third . If we could just get our hands on a real striker this team could do so much more to entertain the fans. Most the talk on here even when we have won a game is how many chances we missed! I don't think we can split the top two but with a decent striker we could at least put a shine on our wins.

Dick Dastardly
1 hour ago, Bob Loblaw said:

This thread was originally started to praise how good he was and how valuable he was to the team. It's not even a month old and now he's finished. 

Today was poor, on the back of another poor game last week but guys at this level have dips in confidence and performance levels. 

You don't go from being integral to the team,  to being washed up in a month. I'd rest him on Wednesday and let him come on when the game is a bit stretched, maybe let him build up a bit of confidence.

Stop being all sensible ffs! 

johnking123

He has been good for us this season. But will be looking at better for next season. Going to take time to build a good squad.