Boyce

NB GIN

10 minutes ago, franco2209 said:

How anyone can defend him after that insipid performance defies logic. His bad form is now far outweighing his good. He , and I use the term loosely, (runs) like a drunk man with lead in his boots. The demise to see is painful, his legs have gone,a busted flush , a la Hughes, Berra .No more than a squad player next season.

Bit over the top, think the main problem is we are shoehorning him into the team since the start of the year. 

I don't think the number 10 position suits him but we literally don't have another option.

We deffo need to invest in s striker in the summer whether Simms returns or not.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BackOfTheNet

• Sooks

• Fozzyonthefence

• Dick Dastardly

Unknown user
1 hour ago, Jambo92 said:

Bit over the top, think the main problem is we are shoehorning him into the team since the start of the year. 

I don't think the number 10 position suits him but we literally don't have another option.

We deffo need to invest in s striker in the summer whether Simms returns or not.

He's had a few bad games but he was playing really well in the same position before that

gregzy2k7

As much as I like Boyce as an all round player, I do feel like we need someone slightly more clinical in terms of scoring the chances that he gets in that no 10 role, he just just hasn't scored often enough from open play imo If we could get someone who is just that bit more clinical in the final 3rd and have Boyce as a back up/squad player next season then it would ultimately strengthen us imo, also we need a player who is as good if not better than McKay on the right flank, perhaps the boy Ogashiwa?

Today shows that we are very much still a work in progress defensively and offensively but we have come a long way in terms of how we are all feeling about losing heavily in Glasgow. The club needs to aim to close the gap (28 points behind the top) next season, we clearly need better players to do cut that gap, if we can get it down to say 15 points behind by the end of the season then that will be progress.

OmiyaHearts

I like Boyce, but I hope we've improved enough next season that he struggles to get a game for us. He's good, but we need better and need to be better.

JimmyCant
1 hour ago, OmiyaHearts said:

I like Boyce, but I hope we've improved enough next season that he struggles to get a game for us. He's good, but we need better and need to be better.

His time is just about up. He’s not good enough now. He never had huge pace but he’s towing a caravan now. His decision making in possession is awful. He misses an awful lot of chances. It’s sad because he’s been good for us but he’s just one of those players with a short use by date. I really hope we don’t end up hating him. He doesn’t deserve that but he’s got to be replaced sooner rather than later.

Stupid Sexy Flanders
3 hours ago, Smithee said:

He's had a few bad games but he was playing really well in the same position before that

Exactly. I think he's just a guy who's form goes up and down. I didn't think he was great when he first came to Hearts, then for whatever reason, he turned it around and became one of our most important players. 

I think he suits the number 10 position, he just needs to rediscover his form. 

PhoenixHearts

Imo Boyce is deserving of criticism, especially because we're comparing his performances now to not so long ago when he was doing much better. 

He doesn't however deserve quite the level of criticism he is getting. Reign it in a bit. Yes he's frustrating right now but some of the things I've been seeing on twitter etc are a bit wild.

Fozzyonthefence
4 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

His time is just about up. He’s not good enough now. He never had huge pace but he’s towing a caravan now. His decision making in possession is awful. He misses an awful lot of chances. It’s sad because he’s been good for us but he’s just one of those players with a short use by date. I really hope we don’t end up hating him. He doesn’t deserve that but he’s got to be replaced sooner rather than later.

Agreed.  The comparisons with Berra and Naismith when they were finished are there for all to see.  Not as many were defending Berra when he was going through an awful run of form but he didn’t score the odd penalty I suppose. Has to be no more than a squad player next season and if Simms is away we need to bring in 2 strikers.

I get that people are saying 'it's just a bad run' but it's been going on for half the season, maybe even longer. How long do you want to give him? He wastes more chances than he scores by a lot. We can't afford to be missing chances in Europe considering each win is worth hundreds of thousands.

Fozzyonthefence
Just now, jr ewing said:

Too late in the season to drop him now. 

No it’s not.  Remember what Ferguson did with Jim Leighton?

Lord Montpelier

Saving himself for the cup final hopefully. As others have said form has dipped, but still capable 

Just now, Fozzyonthefence said:

No it’s not.  Remember what Ferguson did with Jim Leighton?

Who plays instead?

Dick Dastardly
5 minutes ago, Sertse said:

I get that people are saying 'it's just a bad run' but it's been going on for half the season, maybe even longer. How long do you want to give him? He wastes more chances than he scores by a lot. We can't afford to be missing chances in Europe considering each win is worth hundreds of thousands.

Do you think his dip in form has been going that long? I think he was playing really well up until a few weeks ago. He hasn't scored many but his overall contributions were pretty good until then

Bob Loblaw
1 minute ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Do you think his dip in form has been going that long? I think he was playing really well up until a few weeks ago. He hasn't scored many but his overall contributions were pretty good until then

It's nowhere near half a season of bad form. Yesterday was our first defeat in 11 and he's played well within that spell. 

He played well against St Mirren in the cup and Hibs before the split. Played well enough at Tannadice just 2 weeks ago and was good in the wins over Livi, Aberdeen and St Mirren within the last few months. 

This is in serious danger of being blown wildly out of proportion. He's not played well the last few weeks and if he's dropped he can't complain, but that's about it IMO. 

And even then, he has a goal and an assist in the top 6. Even when not playing well he's not exactly the dead weight being portrayed here.

Disser Pointon
10 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

It's nowhere near half a season of bad form. Yesterday was our first defeat in 11 and he's played well within that spell. 

He played well against St Mirren in the cup and Hibs before the split. Played well enough at Tannadice just 2 weeks ago and was good in the wins over Livi, Aberdeen and St Mirren within the last few months. 

This is in serious danger of being blown wildly out of proportion. He's not played well the last few weeks and if he's dropped he can't complain, but that's about it IMO. 

And even then, he has a goal and an assist in the top 6. Even when not playing well he's not exactly the dead weight being portrayed here.

Nail on head

leith_dude
21 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

Agree.

As usual on here some folk capitalise on any individuals poor game and go in all guns blazing. 

He has been good recently, had a poor game yesterday (as did others) but did provide a clever assist. 

Folk saying "his legs have gone" as though he used to be some sort of speed merchant 🤣

karipidis

Play him v Motherwell and rangers in the league. If his poor form continues Robbie has to make a decision for the final and think of alternatives. Possibly Halliday in a 3 with Devlin and Haring. However if he picks up his form again then he’ll be ready for the final. Pre Hibs semi final he was playing very well. There’s no doubt he’s a very good player on his day but when he’s not on form it’s very noticeable. 

Edited by karipidis

BackOfTheNet

Although I won’t say he’s played badly for half a season every week, anyone thinking he’s played well consistently at any point over that time can be argued with. Go look at the ratings threads after each game, even games where he’s being complimented are tainted with remarks about how wasteful he’s been. If we look at the 3-2 Dundee Utd game, where he even scored, to me our 3rd goal is a perfect example of how he no longer fits into our set up. McKay on the ball eager to release a pass, Boyce ball watching lurches to the side to maybe get a simple ball to feet, Simms on the other hand gets in behind a defender and angles a run, McKay releases it and Simms smashes it in. That run Simms made Boyce doesn’t/can’t. He either needs a ball laid on a plate for him or basic run onto the ball, otherwise he’s just getting it to feet and 14 touches later he either still has it or he’s lost it. At his age he won’t improve, he’s not terrible in the slightest and is still a Premiership level forward, but I say it’s time to drop him and maybe even cash in on him in the summer.

40 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

Very much this. Boycie hasn't been at his best, but he's had plenty of decent spells/games over the full season. I don't think it helps that he's out of position in the number 10 role.

My biggest worry is Barrie Mackay. As excellent as he's been, and he is a twrrific footballer, every big match Glasgow (Ibronx, Parkhead and Hampden) he's contributed very little, and been like a man down. He's arguably more of a gamble in the final than Boycie IMHO.

JimmyCant
1 hour ago, blairdin said:

Very much this. Boycie hasn't been at his best, but he's had plenty of decent spells/games over the full season. I don't think it helps that he's out of position in the number 10 role.

My biggest worry is Barrie Mackay. As excellent as he's been, and he is a twrrific footballer, every big match Glasgow (Ibronx, Parkhead and Hampden) he's contributed very little, and been like a man down. He's arguably more of a gamble in the final than Boycie IMHO.

We’re not suddenly a bad team because of two successive poor performances (Ross Co was poor too)

Lets not forget we’ve turned the tap off for these games and hopefully we’re playing well within ourselves just nursing our way to the final. We’ve done this in at least 2 of the cup wins.

What you can’t argue with us that players like Boyce and McKay have to be at their best for the cup final. If either or both of them are not right at it, we’re not winning the cup. it’s that simple. I think we’ll need to score 2 or 3 to win the cup. I don’t see us doing that with Boyce and McKay in top form.

You have to gamble on both of them, and hope they come through. We’ve got no one else we could play who have their potential to win the match

Shanks said no
3 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Les Sealey.

Hearing woooosh all over Edinburgh and the Lothians, well done sir.

A loss of form, nothing more sinister. He’d be benched and working hard to get in the side if we had options. Next season I suspect we will have options. Wild and over the top to subject Boycie won’t be involved or part of it all. 

Fozzyonthefence
3 hours ago, blairdin said:

I’m not sure Boyce is out of position playing no.10.  He’s generally a bit more effective there than up top.  Simms offers so much more than Boyce up there so either he plays no.10 or he’s on the bench and maybe try MacKay in the no.10 role.   But Simms has to start ahead of Boyce in the no.9 role every day of the week and can’t see us playing 2 up there. 

MacKay has to start.  Without him we have no creativity.  There’s hardly a game he doesn’t create something and he’s up at the top or near the top with assists this season.  Would be so many more assists had our attacking players not been so poor in front of goal this season.

Edited by Fozzyonthefence

Fozzyonthefence
2 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Hearing woooosh all over Edinburgh and the Lothians, well done sir.

Just Googled him.  I had no idea he died at 43 ffs!😞

Fozzyonthefence
5 minutes ago, sjh1874 said:

A loss of form, nothing more sinister. He’d be benched and working hard to get in the side if we had options. Next season I suspect we will have options. Wild and over the top to subject Boycie won’t be involved or part of it all. 

Time will tell if it’s a loss of form or he’s finished.  Personally I don’t think he’s good enough for where we want to be next season and going forward. 

Tasavallan
5 minutes ago, sjh1874 said:

It has not been a loss of form.  Boyce cannot control a ball and falls over his feet.  Playing in the #10 role suits him better than as striker these days.  I assume he puts in the effort at training.

Fozzyonthefence
9 minutes ago, Tasavallan said:

It has not been a loss of form.  Boyce cannot control a ball and falls over his feet.  Playing in the #10 role suits him better than as striker these days.  I assume he puts in the effort at training.

This is where I’m at too.  His finishing is dreadful for a striker. With the number of goals he’s scored in his career though, I’m not believing it’s always been this bad.

Take the 0-2 game v Rangers at Tynie though.  He had 5 good chances in that game with 2 probably in the sitter category.  He took none of them.  If he gets chances like that in the final he has to been tucking a couple of them away or we’re walking up the Hampden steps first. 

He’s experienced and never gives in, and on that basis we need him for the final.  Technically he’s been awful recently.  

A wee reset on the bench for the last league matches and take focus again might do him good.  Sometimes the mind gets clouded as you try too hard to rectify performances.  

It may also give him a wee fright if he thinks his final place is under threat.  

Unknown user
4 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

He absolutely was playing really well, as well as I've seen him play, until around the derbies

Dick Dastardly
53 minutes ago, Tasavallan said:

I would disagree saying he cannot control the ball, some of his first touches are sublime. Some are absolutely shocking as well though. He definitely isn't a perfect player and has been poor lately but it is, imo, a loss of form, nothing else

Dick Dastardly
27 minutes ago, Smithee said:

5 hours ago, Bob Loblaw said:

28 minutes ago, Smithee said:

He absolutely was playing really well, as well as I've seen him play, until around the derbies

👍🏻 

I'd bench him against Motherwell. His misses and decision making hasn't been good enough, and beyond that, we probably want to make sure we're managing his fitness. If Robbie is serious about keeping woodburn, then play him as the 10 and see how he does. Alternatively McEneff/