*****Dundee United v Heart Of Midlothian Official Match Thread *****

cookieboy

Chillidigits
17 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

He did have a run of 13 successive starts when he came in, including 90 against Brora. Were you impressed by the performances? 

I'm more concerned about what happens this season. Halkett was playing in that match too. Have you stuck a "shite" label on him also ?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• neilnunb

• Watt-Zeefuik

• Geoff Kilpatrick

A_A wehatethehibs
Just now, Chillidigits said:

I'm more concerned about what happens this season. Halkett was playing in that match too. Have you stuck a "shite" label on him also ?

I did at the time, but fair play to the coaches and Neilson, done an outstanding coaching job getting Halks into the best fitness, sharpness and form we’ve ever seen. Clearly there was words had last summer. Last season Halkett was IMO a stone overweight. Lumbering, slow to react. He had enough natural engine to cope with the championship, but to turn into the dominant defender he has had to

go up several gears and credit to him. 

1 hour ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Or maybe he’s just not as good as Beni, Devlin, or Haring and that’s why he doesn’t get picked? Why would the manager pick the 4th best option when he’s got 3 other better players available? Yes, he came with that reputation, from the South Dublin pub league. Folk seem to forget that the Scottish Premiership is a vast step up in class from the Irish league. Soccer is barely followed in Ireland. It’s the 4th sport. 

Our main 3 CMs are all really quite good midfielders for this level, judging by our consistent dominance of possession in the vast majority of games. Ok they don’t score much, but don’t really need to given we’ve got goals around the team and a +14 goal difference advantage over sides below us. 

The midfields primary job is to control / dictate games, stop opposition counter attacks and wear out the opposition. For some reason that primary job gets ignored in favour of “we need another Hartley ffs play mceneff” pish that seems to gets spouted here. It’s a weak AF stick to try and beat the manager with. 

Having said that I’m sure he’ll now come in and make me eat my words. I will happily eat humble pie if mceneff comes in and is this wonder Lampard-esque box to box genius some fans seem to think he is 

He doesn't play as a holding/defensive midfielder as those do, he came as a no. 10 to play behind the strikers, ironically enough  where Boyce gets shoved. Boyce is a striker, should play as a duo (Simms) uptop and shouldn't have to worry about dropping deeper if the likes of McEneff or even Woodburn are playing behind them. Nobody has said McEneff is some Lampard-y type but I'm all for playing players in their natural and strongest positions and see where they go. 

45 minutes ago, jambonian said:

He doesn't play as a holding/defensive midfielder as those do, he came as a no. 10 to play behind the strikers, ironically enough  where Boyce gets shoved. Boyce is a striker, should play as a duo (Simms) uptop and shouldn't have to worry about dropping deeper if the likes of McEneff or even Woodburn are playing behind them. Nobody has said McEneff is some Lampard-y type but I'm all for playing players in their natural and strongest positions and see where they go. 

That’s not what I remember reading about McEneff and it wasn’t where he’s played for us in his run of games last season He was touted as what you’d think of as a number 8 as opposed to a number 10. 

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Chillidigits said:

A box to box attacking midfielder who badly needs a run of games in his preferred role . They seem to think the obvious thing to do therefore is to super glue him to the bench. IMO disgusting.

Disgusting. 

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Chillidigits
1 hour ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

I did at the time, but fair play to the coaches and Neilson, done an outstanding coaching job getting Halks into the best fitness, sharpness and form we’ve ever seen. Clearly there was words had last summer. Last season Halkett was IMO a stone overweight. Lumbering, slow to react. He had enough natural engine to cope with the championship, but to turn into the dominant defender he has had to

I think to a lesser extent it's something the same with McEneff. Didn't do much in the Championship but wasn't that bad at the start of this season when he was more regularly involved. As the season went on though some guys in our "strong" squad ie Pollock, Hendo , Walker as well as McEneff were largely unused and could have made a difference in some games that we've struggled in.

Anyway we're having a good season and I'm no different from anyone else on here. I just instinctively want us to get the best out of everyone on our books.

A_A wehatethehibs
1 hour ago, jambonian said:

What makes you think you know better than the manager demanding that plays some peripheral non entity 4th choice player who has had **** all impact at the club? The midfield has been absolutely bulletproof, without doubt best 2 signings have been Beni and Devlin. They have run teams ragged with the high endurance levels. Then to have Haring as 3rd choice, pure quality and control of games? The fact is, the manager will pick the best available to him. Mceneff is not the best player available to him. In any position. 

31 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

That’s not what I remember reading about McEneff and it wasn’t where he’s played for us in his run of games last season He was touted as what you’d think of as a number 8 as opposed to a number 10. 

Cammy Devlin will deservedly be getting that #8 jersey in the summer when Mceneff moves on. 

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

The Hogfather
2 minutes ago, tazhearts said:

Any advice on best place to park for Tanadice games?

If you’re lucky you can get parked in the same street/area as the buses. But you need to be early for that. Not the easiest place to park. 

5 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

What makes you think you know better than the manager demanding that plays some peripheral non entity 4th choice player who has had **** all impact at the club? The midfield has been absolutely bulletproof, without doubt best 2 signings have been Beni and Devlin. They have run teams ragged with the high endurance levels. Then to have Haring as 3rd choice, pure quality and control of games? The fact is, the manager will pick the best available to him. Mceneff is not the best player available to him. In any position. 

He's had little to f-all impact because he's not been given that chance. He's been played mainly as yet another defensive midfielder (like we don't have enough already) or even at right wingback. I also never said I KNOW BETTER or indeed DEMANDING he plays (your words). Maybe the system Neilson plays doesn't suit him (even GMS has said he's not comfortable playing the system). People have different opinions, that's football. 

3fingersreid

Confidence is up , they like to attack so we should find space when we’re attacking , they could only draw with a shite aberdeen team so 

1-3 Hearts 🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻

27 minutes ago, Nunya Business said:

If you’re lucky you can get parked in the same street/area as the buses. But you need to be early for that. Not the easiest place to park. 

Thanks. Where do the busses normally park?

Was having a week look on twitter £28.00 a ticket is what Dundee Utd are charging,  seems a bit steep. 

Something seriously needs to change with the way football is priced in this country. If Doncaster could actually negotiate a deal that takes the emphasis off ticket sales as what is essentially the primary source of income for clubs that would be great... 

Its no wonder with the exception of Tynecastle, Ibrox and Parkhead, most clubs struggle to get above half capacity. 

davemclaren
25 minutes ago, OTT said:

Was having a week look on twitter £28.00 a ticket is what Dundee Utd are charging,  seems a bit steep. 

Something seriously needs to change with the way football is priced in this country. If Doncaster could actually negotiate a deal that takes the emphasis off ticket sales as what is essentially the primary source of income for clubs that would be great... 

Its no wonder with the exception of Tynecastle, Ibrox and Parkhead, most clubs struggle to get above half capacity. 

Are tickets any cheaper in the EPL where ticket income is a small percentage of revenue?

The Hogfather
42 minutes ago, tazhearts said:

Thanks. Where do the busses normally park?

Couldn’t tell you the name of the street. But it’s one of the side streets that face onto the Fair Play Stand if you’re checking Google Maps. 

6 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Are tickets any cheaper in the EPL where ticket income is a small percentage of revenue?

Is it not a bit of a supply-demand issue? Like, most EPL sides could fill their grounds several times over and is a higher quality better marketed product, so there is little need for them to drop the ticket price. Whereas clubs in Scotland are almost entirely dependent on ticket sales to survive plus its an inferior product that is poorly marketed. 

Don't get me wrong, the point is valid, could see some clubs not budging on ticket prices but would be good to give clubs the flexibility and see if clubs could drop ticket prices right down in low interest fixtures. It would be interesting for example to see the clubs that really struggle to bring in fans, if a cheaper ticket that they could afford to maintain all season would increase their attendances - Thinking St Johnstone, St Mirren, both Dundees etc. 

davemclaren
2 minutes ago, OTT said:

Is it not a bit of a supply-demand issue? Like, most EPL sides could fill their grounds several times over and is a higher quality better marketed product, so there is little need for them to drop the ticket price. Whereas clubs in Scotland are almost entirely dependent on ticket sales to survive plus its an inferior product that is poorly marketed. 

Don't get me wrong, the point is valid, could see some clubs not budging on ticket prices but would be good to give clubs the flexibility and see if clubs could drop ticket prices right down in low interest fixtures. It would be interesting for example to see the clubs that really struggle to bring in fans, if a cheaper ticket that they could afford to maintain all season would increase their attendances - Thinking St Johnstone, St Mirren, both Dundees etc. 

I think it’s all a supply/demand issue to be honest as. I doubt a better tv deal would reduce prices. 

1 hour ago, tazhearts said:

Any advice on best place to park for Tanadice games?

Give me a message and ill give you my address mate. You can park in the car park behind my block of flats. Literally 5 minute walk away.

Wee Willie is the ref but if he gets injured we could witness a sea change in Scottish football as the 4th official does not hail from Weegieland.  He is Dan McFarlane from Sheepland.

9 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Dundee Utd and Livi will be really tough. 

It's a tough league, Aberdeen and Hibs should be doing better but there's not much between them and the likes of St Mirren, Utd, Motherwell, Livi etc... 

The fact that we're cruising to 3rd after promotion is a bit understated imo. We've been head and shoulders above the rest in terms of consistency. 

We've went through a rough patch as all teams do but we've changed tactics and got back on the horse in the last two so to speak. 

We just need to keep taking points away from home and be a bit tougher on the road. If we can't break them down, at least go away with a clean sheet and a point. 

Indeed. Any scoreline starting "Dundee Utd nil" will be acceptable.

9 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Wee Willie is the ref but if he gets injured we could witness a sea change in Scottish football as the 4th official does not hail from Weegieland.  He is Dan McFarlane from Sheepland.

giphy.gif

No danger!!! 

I’m not saying we are a machine and I’m not one for getting over confident but Utd just seem like most of the other teams in the SPL (the other 9)that they never really hold consistency for any extended spell.

While we’ve had our bits of luck I think we’ve reached a point where we’re capable of winning while not playing well.  Just that bit more consistent and at a more competent level. 

I’d like to think we’ve turned a corner in the last two games and back to how we were before our dip in results recently.  I would be really disappointed if we don’t turn up tomorrow.  It’s time for our key players to up the ante at this stage of the season and finish strongly. 

McKay to get that elusive goal and Gino to sub on for the winner, and Edwards to get sent off for just being a complete berk. No, we haven't forgotten his choke on Cammy. 

If we complete this 8 day trifecta,  it will enable us to have a complete focus on the Scottish Cup.  That's not to say that the league games won't matter.  It will be important that we maintain and improve on our form but the results won't be critical.

I'm very confident we will play well tomorrow and we will win.

2 hours ago, JamboAl said:

An aberdonian referee, does that mean he goes by football rules from the 80s?

Tommy Brown
3 hours ago, JamboAl said:

The last Aberdeen ref was Ian Brines.

We hated him more than any other GFA ref.

6 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

The last Aberdeen ref was Ian Brines.

We hated him more than any other GFA ref.

Didn't know that.

Was he not a Glasgow policeman?

Edited by JamboAl

Watt-Zeefuik
11 hours ago, The Apprentice said:

I’ve felt slightly sorry for Atkinson. He’s definitely got something about him and I think he’ll be a good player for us moving forward but he’s been chucked in at the deep end with Smith being out injured mostly since he’s come in. Hardly had a chance to catch his breath! I’m sure Robbie said the plan wasn’t for him to play as much as he has to this point either. 

I feel much better for him now that he's in with Souttar, Kingsley, and Halkett.

Expecting him to find his feet when he was playing with Sibbick and Moore was just brutal—Natty and Sibbick were still finding their feet, and Moore, well . . . anyway.

Watt-Zeefuik
8 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

If there's something to be said against Neilson coaching up players, it's on the attacking end. He's gotten the absolute best out of multiple defensive signings, including Halkett but also Smith and Kingsley. Souttar, always a talent, has played his absolute best football this season.

WheatfieldWarrior
On 03/03/2022 at 11:52, upgotheheads said:

You're on the job until we lose then.

That's right, then it's Cookieboy OOOOOOOOOOTTTT!

:getout:

Aussie Jambo
17 hours ago, jamboozy said:

Aye, ah mind my Dad singing that to me :whistling:    😂

I mind singing it. 😂

Aussie Jambo
8 hours ago, Hectormasson said:

And a lovely biscuit they were too😚😚😚😚😚

Yes lovely biscuits. But second place to a pick up a penguin. 

penguin-chocolate.gif

ginger jambo98
2 minutes ago, Aussie Jambo said:

Yes lovely biscuits. But second place to a pick up a penguin. 

penguin-chocolate.gif

Never ever ate the green wrapped penguin. Doubt I’m alone on that front 😂

ginger jambo98
6 hours ago, jambonian said:

He's had little to f-all impact because he's not been given that chance. He's been played mainly as yet another defensive midfielder (like we don't have enough already) or even at right wingback. I also never said I KNOW BETTER or indeed DEMANDING he plays (your words). Maybe the system Neilson plays doesn't suit him (even GMS has said he's not comfortable playing the system). People have different opinions, that's football. 

Can I ask what makes anyone think he’s been played as a defensive midfielder. He attacks when he comes on, scored a good goal against Utd at Tynie. I doubt he actually gets told to sit back as that’s not his strength. Just like we’d never bring on Ginelly and tell him to sit in deep.

Aussie Jambo
20 minutes ago, ginger jambo98 said:

True. That was the shitey hobo biscuit.  You got the banana fritters if you ate it. Or you were infected with the Hibs supporting gene68az.gif

A win at Tannadice will be a great result, 9 points in a week that will surely cement our 3rd place, given that our nearest rivals Livi play Celtic and 5th place Hibs can't score goals.

We beat United, Livi lose to Celtic and Hibs manage a valiant 0-0 at home to the farmers.  We'll be at least 14 points clear with 8 games to play.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, RobNox said:

A win at Tannadice will be a great result, 9 points in a week that will surely cement our 3rd place, given that our nearest rivals Livi play Celtic and 5th place Hibs can't score goals.

We beat United, Livi lose to Celtic and Hibs manage a valiant 0-0 at home to the farmers.  We'll be at least 14 points clear with 8 games to play.

Even if we get beat 8-0 today we are finishing 3rd. 

Be nice to tie it up early like you say tho. 

Bazzas right boot
7 hours ago, ginger jambo98 said:

🤣

Yip, but Strangley I liked mint vicounts. 

2 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Dundee United 1 Hearts 1

Hibs to lose.

Hibs 0-0 seems like a good bet, they've tightened up defensively but can't score for toffee. Meanwhile, our defence is as strong as the old castle rock now that Halks is back, so I'd go 0-2, Boyce to get back into scoring ways and McKay to break his duck with a raker from outside the box.

Nookie Bear
26 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

🤣

Yip, but Strangley I liked mint vicounts. 

“I vunt a viscount”

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Nookie Bear said:

“I vunt a viscount”

Yip. 

I vunt, I vunt, I vunt a...... Vizcount! 

Quality advert. 

Feeling really confident today. We’ve looked determined and in control the last two games.

As for the biscuit chat, Toffee Pops.  

Harry Potter
9 hours ago, superjack said:

An aberdonian referee, does that mean he goes by football rules from the 80s?

rule book written by willie miller and Alex Mcleish, lol.

They loved a moan at the ref. 

Shite club, shite stadium, shite city. 

Dundee hibs GTF

Mon the JT’s

shite 0 -Hearts 3

Tommy Walker
7 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Feeling really confident today. We’ve looked determined and in control the last two games.

As for the biscuit chat, Toffee Pops.  

Wagon Wheels - Alchetron, The Free Social Encyclopedia