*** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***

dazajmbo

41 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

if we want to be competitive in the european games (and of course we do as its part of model going forward as much as anything else) and then in turn remain competitive as we juggle squad in league.

...then we dont have the luxury of time.

The priority is to recruit the best players for our budget. Ideally we get them in time for the European games, but if it makes the squad stronger for the league and strengthens our chances of qualifying for next season, arguably we are better waiting as opposed to panicking.

• Replies 39.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RustyRightPeg

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

• BackOfTheNet

2 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

There is a risk our much vaunted Academy is becoming a place for developing loanees to the lower leagues and players for lower half premiership sides.

Our academy hasn’t been ‘vaunted’ since the likes of Nicholson and the Kings and Carrick and Paterson came through it, and 3 of those were no great shakes as adults anyway

2 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

Match day should make no difference .

No it shouldnt but a lot of the clubs we’d want to deal with have games this week and might want to wait till the Thursday to get their last bits and pieces done with fringe players 

BackOfTheNet
3 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

Should being the operative word. Certainly didn’t impact on Saturday. But always seems to be a quiet day normally during a window. But the 2nd last day of the window? I not only would think it’s possible, with the numbers we need I’d expect it. Particularly as we speak there’s no incoming rumours to speak of, so hopefully they start coming thick and fast.

35 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Well this is his chance to "step-up". If he doesn't get his chance, or he's overlooked then he will likely be offski first chance he gets. I hope he get his chance and takes it. Would love to see a home grown striker make it. Time will tell.

Yeah, I'd like to see him get a shot.. in fact, I've a funny feeling we may see him tomorrow night. But he has to take his chance, got a feeling it will be his last one.

6 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

No it shouldnt but a lot of the clubs we’d want to deal with have games this week and might want to wait till the Thursday to get their last bits and pieces done with fringe players 

The transfer deadline was extended to Thursday evening due to the league cup so extra time to finalise any deals

5 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Should being the operative word. Certainly didn’t impact on Saturday. But always seems to be a quiet day normally during a window. But the 2nd last day of the window? I not only would think it’s possible, with the numbers we need I’d expect it. Particularly as we speak there’s no incoming rumours to speak of, so hopefully they start coming thick and fast.

Rumours Shmumours. We need out of the blue solid signings. Rumours was June and July.

I think we’ll get Nouble in today or tomorrow. Not entirely convinced about him but chuck enough money at Livvy and they’ll let him go, bearing mind they signed a clone yesterday 

18 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

He’ll be 32 before he kicks another ball for Hearts and he’s been on the wane for a year already. There’s no room for a sympathetic contract extension here. Just get him replaced and move on. It was nearly time anyway.

I like Boyce but this is the harsh reality of the situation. If his injury pretty much rules him out for most of this season then a long term replacement should be a priority.  

Lord Beni of Gorgie
21 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

He’ll be 32 before he kicks another ball for Hearts and he’s been on the wane for a year already. There’s no room for a sympathetic contract extension here. Just get him replaced and move on. It was nearly time anyway.

No sympathy required, can be an effective squad player at the right price, cards stacked in our favour now. 

You need to think about these things carefully 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
23 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

We signed Simms on match day and played him did we not?

8 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Rumours Shmumours. We need out of the blue solid signings. Rumours was June and July.

I think we’ll get Nouble in today or tomorrow. Not entirely convinced about him but chuck enough money at Livvy and they’ll let him go, bearing mind they signed a clone yesterday 

I think there's no chance of us paying the sort of fee for Nouble that Livingston have been talking about. He's the sort of guy you give a year contract to if he's free. Not spend a lot and give him years.

23 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

Exactly. Some of the nonsense about what day / time we sign players is unbelievable.

Berra than you
Just now, Carter said:

Exactly. Some of the nonsense about what day / time we sign players is unbelievable.

We literally signed someone on our last match day 😅

Unknown user
12 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

The Sunderland documentary was coo coo land. 

Can you imagine McKinley pulling a Charlie Methven and getting the new announcer to only play trance music. Jambo 4 Ever would have a meltdown at the sound system in the wheatfield 

Well, once his flatmate gets home and tells him about it.

12 hours ago, Spookie said:

Sum up the last 10 pages for me please 🙏 

Uncle Gus is a ledge

22 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

The priority is to recruit the best players for our budget. Ideally we get them in time for the European games, but if it makes the squad stronger for the league and strengthens our chances of qualifying for next season, arguably we are better waiting as opposed to panicking.

Completely agree. Long term thinking is required. There's no point in amassing players to create further problems down the line. I reckon we could see another two added to the squad. Talk of another 5/6 is OTT.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, Berra than you said:

:)

My favourite this morning has to be Boyce is injured throw him in the skip, sign a boy from Livingston of lower standard and to hell with the fee.

Too much sun this summer, way too much 

We don't need a back for Shankland either we need someone coming straight into compete with/rotate and Henderson and Gino can be back up

Just now, Berra than you said:

Exactly. Seemingly we only sign players on certain days... we need 4, 5 or 6 but will only sign 1....! No basis to any of it. The decision makers at the club will know what we need and act accordingly. Robbie and co aren't going to be impacted by negotiations going on in the background. 

What we end up with may provide  opportunities for Pollock, C. Smith & Henderson which is probably no bad thing if that plays out.

3 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

No sympathy required, can be an effective squad player at the right price, cards stacked in our favour now. 

You need to think about these things carefully 

He’s been a starting player since he came here. He’ll need to be replaced as a starting player, whether that’s now or next year. Keeping a 32 year squad player for another 2 years is just lazy. All good things come to an end and it’s his time. The injury removes any doubt for me.

1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

True but they can’t play in Europe if they’re not signed by midnight on the 2nd. It’s only another 24 hours.

"24 hours" JimmyCant count?

Edited by bawheed

9 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

I think there's no chance of us paying the sort of fee for Nouble that Livingston have been talking about. He's the sort of guy you give a year contract to if he's free. Not spend a lot and give him years.

Martindale made a throwaway remark about adding another million to his value and suddenly he’s a million pound player. He clearly isn’t. £250k would get him IMO.

4 minutes ago, bawheed said:

"24 hours" JummyCant count?

midnight on the 1st when the window closes to midnight on the 2nd when the UEFA squad list is due. That’s 24 hours unless it’s changed since I was at school bawheed.

Edited by JimmyCant

Vlad the impaler

Boyce injury is a nightmare for

us. He’s probably the most important player to our team. The Boyce is rubbish brigade are about to find  out how much he makes our team tick😭

1 minute ago, Vlad the impaler said:

Boyce injury is a nightmare for

us. He’s probably the most important player to our team. The Boyce is rubbish brigade are about to find  out how much he makes our team tick😭

We’ll sign a better player than Boyce in the next 3 days 

Exile fae Main Street

Feel sorry for Boyce if true about CL, (why wouldn't it be true?), but more bothered about Rowles, any concrete info about him?

4 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

midnight on the 1st when the window closes to midnight on the 2nd when the UEFA squad list is due. That’s 24 hours unless it’s changed since I was at school chum.

perhaps 23 if they work on CET?

Ricardo Quaresma
15 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Martindale made a throwaway remark about adding another million to his value and suddenly he’s a million pound player. He clearly isn’t. £250k would get him IMO.

That's what I've always thought, quarter mill

Bazzas right boot

We’re a bit fortunate here that Neilson looks just about ready. He’ll make mistakes of course but we’ll get away with playing him. In at the deep end but at least he’s not going to have to wait 2 years to get a game.

Fortunate,or sound judgement by Bob and the recruitment team?

17 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

I don't think we'd pay anything like that for a guy with his pedigree.

Bazzas right boot
25 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

My favourite this morning has to be Boyce is injured throw him in the skip, sign a boy from Livingston of lower standard and to hell with the fee.

Yip. 

It's a cracking insight into the mind of some. 

Jambo in Gala

Perhaps not the right thread but if we don't get as many bodies as planned then the chances for Smith, Pollock, Neilson and Henderson could potentially make (or obviously break) all of their hearts careers. Neilson looks nailed on to do well so that is reassuring but its probably last chance saloon for Henderson and Smith.

3 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Fortunate,or sound judgement by Bob and the recruitment team?

Strange comment from yourself mate?? 

Surely every signing that works out is good judgement? 

Robbie knew him from DUFC and as soon as we learned he was available we pounced. He looks to be an absolute bargain.  

Bazzas right boot
Just now, Batistuta87 said:

Strange comment from yourself mate?? 

Surely every signing that works out is good judgement? 

Robbie knew him from DUFC and as soon as we learned he was available we pounced. He looks to be an absolute bargain.  

Exactly my  Point. 

The Can't fella called It fortunate... Never even considered it could be a inspired signing by our manager. 

5 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

That depends on what else we’ve got that can be done quickly. We either pay big money or we sacrifice quality and stick to budget here

21 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

midnight on the 1st when the window closes to midnight on the 2nd when the UEFA squad list is due. That’s 24 hours unless it’s changed since I was at school bawheed.

"True but they can’t play in Europe if they’re not signed by midnight on the 2nd. It’s only another 24 hours".

Above what you posted no mention of the 1st of September. 

Boyce will be a big miss. I've been a big critic of his however he does have a place in the squad and he's fantastic in the number 10 role. We are going to have to open the war chest in a big way if we are going to be able to make up for the loss. He has one year left on his contract, we need to be signing his replacement now. 

Fag packet maths but let's say we win twice in Europe that's an easy 1 million. We aren't going to win games without a strong player behind the striker who can also play as a striker. Considering the window closes soon and it affects registration, I hope the recruiting department are working day and night, I'm not just saying that for effect either.

Just now, bawheed said:

"True but they can’t play in Europe if they’re not signed by midnight on the 2nd. It’s only another 24 hours".

Above what you posted no mention of the 1st of September. 

I think you’ve missed the context. Never mind.

1 minute ago, Sertse said:

Boyce will be a big miss. I've been a big critic of his however he does have a place in the squad and he's fantastic in the number 10 role. We are going to have to open the war chest in a big way if we are going to be able to make up for the loss. He has one year left on his contract, we need to be signing his replacement now. 

Fag packet maths but let's say we win twice in Europe that's an easy 1 million. We aren't going to win games without a strong player behind the striker who can also play as a striker. Considering the window closes soon and it affects registration, I hope the recruiting department are working day and night, I'm not just saying that for effect either.

Jorge Grant will play the no.10 role now I think?

1 minute ago, JimmyCant said:

I think you’ve missed the context. Never mind.

My point is we have 3 days not 24 hours, have some trust in JS and his team.

8 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Exactly my  Point. 

The Can't fella called It fortunate... Never even considered it could be a inspired signing by our manager. 

Gotcha, jumped the gun 😉✌️

31 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

We may never know that.

Sometimes we sign players who we expect to do well, and don't, whilst others do better than we anticipate.

What I would say is that Boyce has been gradually falling short of what is required and would need replaced soon anyway.  Having a big guy up front might just help for when CG launches the ball after the defence have finished fannying about with it at the back.

15 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

Nouble would be a big risk, this time last year Martindale didn't think he was ready to play for Livingston and had loaned him to Arbroath. Hearts would be another huge step up for him.

Vlad the impaler
27 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

We’ll sign a better player than Boyce in the next 3 days 

Plenty better players than Boyce but will he fit into our team

and help us play the way we want to like boyce 

Francis Albert

Our academy hasn’t been ‘vaunted’ since the likes of Nicholson and the Kings and Carrick and Paterson came through it, and 3 of those were no great shakes as adults anyway

Sorry there was more than a hint of sarcasm in my reference to much vaunted. But to be fair to the Academy if the best players it develops never get a chance in the first team then it is not going to deliver first team players. Part of development is playing with better players. A loan to the likes of Montrose won't do the trick.

Edited by Francis Albert

Cut The Crap

Crikey, there's a lot of folk running around JKB with their hair on fire this morning.

Fortunately....

Joe Savage profiled as Hearts new sporting director gets ...

6 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Jorge Grant will play the no.10 role now I think?

He can play there yes but he's not the replacement for Boyce. Boyce is one of our biggest earners and when he's on the pitch he does hold the team together when he's playing well.

It sounds harsh but if I'm correct and he's got a year left on his contract I'd definitely think that's him now and we need to be pushing for the replacement on a 3 year deal, I don't think a loan will cut it.

• davemclaren changed the title to *** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***