The 'Battle' for 3rd ( merged )

Waterboy

Randy Marsh

If 3rd place isn't looking comfortable by the split then we need to seriously consider reducing Hibs allocation for the final derby.  I maximum of 800 tickets.  The stakes are just to high to potentially miss out on another £4-5m next season.  

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Waterboy

• soonbe110

• Watt-Zeefuik

Naisys Tackle
1 minute ago, Randy Marsh said:

If 3rd place isn't looking comfortable by the split then we need to seriously consider reducing Hibs allocation for the final derby.  I maximum of 800 tickets.  The stakes are just to high to potentially miss out on another £4-5m next season.  

Wont be able to this season.   Allocations have been agreed by both teams.

Randy Marsh
8 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Wont be able to this season.   Allocations have been agreed by both teams.

I remember during the the 05-06 season that the Old Firm were given the full Roseburn stand for the the 1st home match but not the 2nd.  I didn't think it was a binding agreement between the clubs.

Naisys Tackle
4 minutes ago, Randy Marsh said:

I remember during the the 05-06 season that the Old Firm were given the full Roseburn stand for the the 1st home match but not the 2nd.  I didn't think it was a binding agreement between the clubs.

Maybe there's a set time you can change but you can't reduce an allocation that's been provisionally agreed at short notice mate.

Randy Marsh
2 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Maybe there's a set time you can change but you can't reduce an allocation that's been provisionally agreed at short notice mate.

👍

After that St Mirren v Celtic scoreline, we now have the 3rd best defence in the division, along with the 3rd best attack and of course the 3rd most points. 

And I understand we are 2 points better off than we were at the same juncture last season. Not bad, all things considered..

36F770F4-71F8-44C9-ADEF-92A74FE4CB83.jpeg

Sinbad the Sailor
2 hours ago, Nik5122 said:

Why is that?Is it because you expect us to perform poorly in these away fixtures?Quite a negative outlook 

Haha. No I'm a glass half filled guy and you never know in football... but based purely on our away form for as long as I've watched Hearts.......

There appears to be a lot of chat coming from the Sheep and Hibs, about catching us in 3rd, which one would expect given we don’t have an unassailable lead.

While a 5 point lead isn’t huge, it’s still a very good position to be in at this stage of the season (particularly given our Euro exploits and our injury list to key players right through the spine of the team) and by looking at the 3 clubs remaining fixtures before the split, I just can’t see them doing so.

The next game in the league at Pittodrie is absolutely massive in terms of all but sealing 3rdplace.  We haven’t won there since May 2016 though, having lost 7 and drawn 2 of the last 9 up there, which is grim reading. 

If we can, we will go 10 points clear of Aberdeen and likely 8 points clear of Hibs (who have Celtic away that day) with 4 games to go until the split (and 5 thereafter).

The immediate fixtures after this one are as follows:

Hearts

Kilmarnock (A)  

St Mirren (H) 

Hibs (A)  

Ross County (H) 

Hibs

Motherwell (H) Draw

Dundee United (A) Win

Hearts (H) Draw

St Johnstone (A) Draw

Aberdeen

St Johnstone (A) 

Kilmarnock (H) 

Ross County (A) 

Rangers (H) 

While there is no such thing as an ‘easy’ home fixture in this league, I must say, our 2 home fixtures (St Mirren and RC) are more favourable than Hibs 2 home fixtures (A rejuvenated Motherwell and ourselves) and Aberdeen’s (Ourselves and Rangers).

The 2 away fixtures we each have are much of a muchness (I would be disappointed to lose at either Rugby Park, despite Killies home record or Easter Road – for obvious reasons!). 

Hib’s having Dundee United away (who are fighting for every point) and St Johnstone, are quite hard to call.  Same with Aberdeen away at St Johnstone and Ross County.

I appreciate post split, traditionally we are dug meat. But assuming the sheep and Hibs both make it, we should have both at home. Fixtures I’d expect us to win.

I also Appreciate full focus will be on the cup game on Saturday – but the next fixture at Aberdeen is huge.  We are well overdue a result (and performance) up there – Good to see the tickets have all sold out! 🇱🇻

Edited by MattyK82

jamboinglasgow

Hibs have 10 games to go, and half of their remaining fixtures (if they get top six) will be Celtic home and away, Rangers away and us home and away (unless SPFL move around who is home and who is away.) Hardly an easy set of fixtures. They could easily come out of those five fixtures no closer to us.

Watt-Zeefuik

The head-to-heads will be absolutely enormous, particularly the remaining Hibs games. For Hibs to overhaul us, they need at least 4 points off our fixtures with them. Same with Aberdeen but they probably need to win both.

gordon simpson
7 minutes ago, ramrod said:

If we win at Pittodrie it's done and dusted . That's the prize next Saturday .

that is what I think also 

24 minutes ago, MattyK82 said:

There appears to be a lot of chat coming from the Sheep and Hibs, about catching us in 3rd, which one would expect given we don’t have an unassailable lead.

While a 5 point lead isn’t huge, it’s still a very good position to be in at this stage of the season (particularly given our Euro exploits and our injury list to key players right through the spine of the team) and by looking at the 3 clubs remaining fixtures before the split, I just can’t see them doing so.

The next game in the league at Pittodrie is absolutely massive in terms of all but sealing 3rdplace.  We haven’t won there since May 2016 though, having lost 7 and drawn 2 of the last 9 up there, which is grim reading. 

If we can, we will go 10 points clear of Aberdeen and likely 8 points clear of Hibs (who have Celtic away that day) with 4 games to go until the split (and 5 thereafter).

The immediate fixtures after this one are as follows:

Hearts

Kilmarnock (A)  

St Mirren (H) 

Hibs (A)  

Ross County (H) 

Hibs

Motherwell (H) Draw

Dundee United (A) Win

Hearts (H) Draw

St Johnstone (A) Draw

Aberdeen

St Johnstone (A) 

Kilmarnock (H) 

Ross County (A) 

Rangers (H) 

While there is no such thing as an ‘easy’ home fixture in this league, I must say, our 2 home fixtures (St Mirren and RC) are more favourable than Hibs 2 home fixtures (A rejuvenated Motherwell and ourselves) and Aberdeen’s (Ourselves and Rangers).

The 2 away fixtures we each have are much of a muchness (I would be disappointed to lose at either Rugby Park, despite Killies home record or Easter Road – for obvious reasons!). 

Hib’s having Dundee United away (who are fighting for every point) and St Johnstone, are quite hard to call.  Same with Aberdeen away at St Johnstone and Ross County.

I appreciate post split, traditionally we are dug meat. But assuming the sheep and Hibs both make it, we should have both at home. Fixtures I’d expect us to win.

I also Appreciate full focus will be on the cup game on Saturday – but the next fixture at Aberdeen is huge.  We are well overdue a result (and performance) up there – Good to see the tickets have all sold out! 🇱🇻

Yep, were we to win at both it’s all over for third. In reality draws at both Pittodrie and ER virtually ensures third. Our goal difference is virtually worth a point extra against both of them, particularly Aberdeen. That leaves us with Killie away, RC and St. Mirren at home pre-split and Hibs and Aberdeen at home post split omitting OF games and one other away against either St.Mirren or Livi.  We would have to lose four or five of those six games for anyone to catch us. Not happening 

pettigrewsstylist

Its in our hands ..totally. home games will be enough if we win them all outside OF.

24 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Hibs have 10 games to go, and half of their remaining fixtures (if they get top six) will be Celtic home and away, Rangers away and us home and away (unless SPFL move around who is home and who is away.) Hardly an easy set of fixtures. They could easily come out of those five fixtures no closer to us.

They will also have Aberdeen away.  They might not even make top 6 if they don’t win most of the other four games they have left. 

Independence
2 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

They will also have Aberdeen away.  They might not even make top 6 if they don’t win most of the other four games they have left. 

That would be funny.....😁

With our away form of late I’d be more than happy with 4 points in our next two away games. 

AC Mallin_51

I didn’t really notice until reading this how big the Aberdeen game really is, especially with hibs more than likely not picking up any points that weekend. As some have said, win up there and I think we’re as good as home and dry

Montgomery Brewster

We need 15 points. 

the vermin would then need 21 points to overhaul us out of 30. And forget about the sheep - they are absolute Tom kite 

If we can avoid defeat at pittodrie I would hope to pick up at least 10 points from our last 4 games.

home and dry.

Hearts

Kilmarnock (A)  draw/win

St Mirren (H) win

Hibs (A)  win

Ross County (H) win

Hibs

Motherwell (H) win

Dundee United (A) draw

Hearts (H) lose

St Johnstone (A) lose

Aberdeen

St Johnstone (A) lose

Kilmarnock (H) win

Ross County (A) draw

Rangers (H) lose

Naisys Tackle
58 minutes ago, AC Mallin_51 said:

I didn’t really notice until reading this how big the Aberdeen game really is, especially with hibs more than likely not picking up any points that weekend. As some have said, win up there and I think we’re as good as home and dry

yeah mentioned the same a few pages back mate.

Naisys Tackle
3 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

If we can avoid defeat at pittodrie I would hope to pick up at least 10 points from our last 4 games.

home and dry.

Hearts

Kilmarnock (A)  draw/win

St Mirren (H) win

Hibs (A)  win

Ross County (H) win

Hibs

Motherwell (H) win

Dundee United (A) draw

Hearts (H) lose

St Johnstone (A) lose

Aberdeen

St Johnstone (A) lose

Kilmarnock (H) win

Ross County (A) draw

Rangers (H) lose

Maybe.  Hopefully.

Gorgie_Rules

If we win our home games against St Mirren, Ross County, Hibs and Aberdeen we’ll finish 3rd regardless of anything else IMO. Reckon the gap will reduce to less than 5, potentially going back to 4 or 5 by the last game before the split.

1 hour ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

We need 15 points. 

the vermin would then need 21 points to overhaul us out of 30. And forget about the sheep - they are absolute Tom kite 

Celtic home

Celtic away

Hearts home

Hearts away

Rangers away
Motherwell home

United away

St.Johnstone away

Aberdeen away

Livi/St.Mirren home 

Even with one of their post split games having to be moved to ER can’t see any way they get close to 21 points from that run-in. Aberdeen are potentially a bigger threat. 

11 minutes ago, Gorgie_Rules said:

If we win our home games against St Mirren, Ross County, Hibs and Aberdeen we’ll finish 3rd regardless of anything else IMO. Reckon the gap will reduce to less than 5, potentially going back to 4 or 5 by the last game before the split.

If we win our away games against Hibs and Aberdeen the likelihood is that third will be done and dusted by the split. Non-OF teams typically only get 6/7 points post split at best. 

57 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

home and dry.

Hearts

Kilmarnock (A)  draw/win

St Mirren (H) win

Hibs (A)  win

Ross County (H) win

Hibs

Motherwell (H) win

Dundee United (A) draw

Hearts (H) lose

St Johnstone (A) lose

Aberdeen

St Johnstone (A) lose

Kilmarnock (H) win

Ross County (A) draw

Rangers (H) lose

Your predictions have us at least 12 ahead of both of them by the split. Only Livi to worry about 😂. Getting fed up with meaningless post-split games😂😂😂😂

3 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Your predictions have us at least 12 ahead of both of them by the split. Only Livi to worry about 😂. Getting fed up with meaningless post-split games😂😂😂😂

I’m forever the optimist 🤣🤣  I’m hopeless but hopeful 👍👍

Certainly going to be a tough run in, but confident in the team and management to do it. 

Just uh, pinch of salt in post game posts from me :D 😛 

9 minutes ago, OTT said:

Certainly going to be a tough run in, but confident in the team and management to do it. 

Just uh, pinch of salt in post game posts from me :D 😛 

One of Neilson’s strengths as manager is closing down seasons league objective as quickly as possible,  first time in championship, first season back up, second time in championship and again last season.  Did the same with United in first full season with them. Don’t have any doubts that he will do so again. Much more experience and knowledge than wee Lee or Barry. 

1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

If we win our away games against Hibs and Aberdeen the likelihood is that third will be done and dusted by the split. Non-OF teams typically only get 6/7 points post split at best. 

Agree, we beat Aberdeen and that’s them done for third IMO , same when we beat Hibs

AC Mallin_51
2 hours ago, Robbies Tackle said:

yeah mentioned the same a few pages back mate.

God sake 😂 sorry been on 12 hour shifts this week brain is like mush 

Naisys Tackle
40 minutes ago, AC Mallin_51 said:

God sake 😂 sorry been on 12 hour shifts this week brain is like mush 

All good mate was just meaning I agree with you completely :) 

part_time_jambo
On 05/03/2023 at 14:19, MattyK82 said:

After that St Mirren v Celtic scoreline, we now have the 3rd best defence in the division, along with the 3rd best attack and of course the 3rd most points. 

And I understand we are 2 points better off than we were at the same juncture last season. Not bad, all things considered..

Sad indictment of Scottish football that 3rd is seen as a good thing.

Luckies1874

After 28 games last season we had 46 pts, this season we have 45pts.

Interestingly our goal difference was exactly the same, +9 however this season we have scored 11 more (49 compared to 38) but also conceded 11 more (40 compared to 29)! 

Edited by Luckies1874

9 minutes ago, part_time_jambo said:

2nd of course would be better. 1st better still.  

But we are some way off being able to compete over the course of a full season with the uglies and all their huge resources as well as having to deal with the ludicrous league set up (having to play them both of them 4 times a season).

As a club, if we were to finish 3rd in back to back seasons for only the 2nd time in 20 odd years, with all the money that would bring from Europe etc, then yes, that would be a good thing. 

From there, we can continue to build and progress. 

1 minute ago, Luckies1874 said:

After 28 games last season we had 46 pts, this season we have 45pts.

Interestingly our goal difference was exactly the same, +9 however this season we have scored 11 more (49 compared to 38) but also conceded 1 1 more (40 compared to 29)! 

The goals conceded column is no way a surprise, given the constantly reschuffled team we had to put out earlier in the season (such as playing two full backs as CB’s!). 11 more goals scored is quite impressive though.

Luckies1874
7 minutes ago, MattyK82 said:

The goals conceded column is no way a surprise, given the constantly reschuffled team we had to put out earlier in the season (such as playing two full backs as CB’s!). 11 more goals scored is quite impressive though.

54 goals in our 14 home matches, Tynecastle has been the place to be for high scoring matches. Averaging nearly 4 a game.

Next in the league is Celtic Park 52 then Ibrox 46 and Easter Road/Pittodrie with 45.

Edited by Luckies1874

The Aberdeen game is a massive one, if they win they will be fancying their chances of being back in the hunt for 3rd. We could really do with getting the 3 points, although it wouldn't be a disaster taking a point as long as we followed it up with a win at Killie. 

10 hours ago, MattyK82 said:

2nd of course would be better. 1st better still.  

But we are some way off being able to compete over the course of a full season with the uglies and all their huge resources as well as having to deal with the ludicrous league set up (having to play them both of them 4 times a season).

As a club, if we were to finish 3rd in back to back seasons for only the 2nd time in 20 odd years, with all the money that would bring from Europe etc, then yes, that would be a good thing. 

From there, we can continue to build and progress. 

Yeah it's all about finishing 3rd consistently for a few seasons which should allow for more money and ability to get better players to then try and close the gap. The gap above is massive though, the OF are streets ahead of everyone in the league and even when not playing well are able to get 3 points more often than not. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

4 of Aberdeens last 6 would be Rangers h and a, Celtic h Hearts a. They would also have Hibs h and another. Confident that a draw next week ends their challenge

If we were just able to play out of our skins and win our next two games then it would probably be all over bar the shouting for European groups next season .................................... that is the motivation 

Getintaethem
23 minutes ago, Sooks said:

If we were just able to play out of our skins and win our next two games then it would probably be all over bar the shouting for European groups next season .................................... that is the motivation 

Group stage football would also require either ourselves or the OF winning the cup.  That looks highly likely though.

4 minutes ago, Getintaethem said:

Group stage football would also require either ourselves or the OF winning the cup.  That looks highly likely though.

Exactly

13 hours ago, part_time_jambo said:

In the best league in the world 4th is seen as a great thing. 

3 hours ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

4 of Aberdeens last 6 would be Rangers h and a, Celtic h Hearts a. They would also have Hibs h and another. Confident that a draw next week ends their challenge

Yep, Hibs last 10 look even tougher   We probably only need about 12 points from 10 games to finish third  

Luckies1874
10 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Yep, Hibs last 10 look even tougher   We probably only need about 12 points from 10 games to finish third  

Yep, been saying that myself. If we win the 4 home games v St Mirren, Ross County, Hibs and Aberdeen (should they make the top 6) then 57pts plus our goal difference could well be enough. Obviously we want some wins away from Tynecastle but worse case scenario we can lean on our excellent home form and results v the rest. 

As an aside if things do get tighter going into the split a big influence over things could be the order of fixtures post split. We all know they won’t want an Old Firm game deciding anything so that will come early in the fixtures and you’d rather have Celtic at home (as both Hearts and Hibs would) after they’ve already won it. Could also be another Old Firm Cup Final (though hopefully not after tomorrow)! 

Edited by Luckies1874

20 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

home and dry.

Hearts

Kilmarnock (A)  draw/win

St Mirren (H) win

Hibs (A)  win

Ross County (H) win

Hibs

Motherwell (H) win

Dundee United (A) draw

Hearts (H) lose

St Johnstone (A) lose

Aberdeen

St Johnstone (A) lose

Kilmarnock (H) win

Ross County (A) draw

Rangers (H) lose

Wishful thinking that St Johnstone will beat both Hibs and Aberdeen, especially since both have won there earlier in the season.

Ex member of the SaS

We maybe 2 points better off but where were the rest last season. IIRC they were further behind than 5 points. We play like we did against Celtic then we will win more than them, the key is how we set out and who we play. Robbie has a big task and we need more consistency and more aggressive tactics.