Hearts songs You picked Up Wrong

Drew Wallace

An embarrassing one, in lots of ways, but I thought it was "No chapels kick sand in my eyes" back in the day.

I'd long stopped singing it when I discovered otherwise.

I remember being an innocent wee laddie and asking my Dad who Old Derry was, and why Hearts supporters were going to guard his walls. 

:facepalm:

27 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

I remember being an innocent wee laddie and asking my Dad who Old Derry was, and why Hearts supporters were going to guard his walls. 

:facepalm:

I thought there was a place in Ireland called In The Skilling.

:vrface:

I've always wished I'd misheard references to Celtic and Rangers in our famous Hearts song, but unfortunately not. The OF have no place in a song about the mighty Jambos.

Confession time from 2nd April 2006 - and given the number of empty seats, it just confirmed me in what I was hearing to the tune of Seven Nation Army:

"No hibees today. Oh, there's no hibbees todayyyyy."  

6 minutes ago, Gilamas said:

I have to say, I always sing "Oh some say that this team and that team are grand ..."

:biggrin:

There was a match against Rangers in the 90s where a Ally McCoist shags wee Burnie song started and I was singing Ally McCoist shitty bummy. I thought because it was soaking and his shorts were brown with mud. 

I'm sure it ended 2-2 and we equalised quite late. Greame Hogg was playing.

Not missed heard, I just don't know embarrassingly, the foreign players names in the European songs 🤦🏻‍♂. I've researched them but I can never mind them, tbf I think most people don't know as it always dies down at that point.

For years I used to get the Drew Busby song wrong. I always got as far as His name is Drew Busby and thought it was he comes from the North as opposed to the cock of the North.

Just now, Sir Craig Gordon said:

Not missed heard, I just don't know embarrassingly, the foreign players names in the European songs 🤦🏻‍♂. I've researched them but I can never mind them, tbf I think most people don't know as it always dies down at that point.

I always used struggle with that. 

2 minutes ago, Sir Craig Gordon said:

There seem to be two different version with different players. Maybe depending on you age. I go with Rossi, Boniek, and Tardelli personally. 

4 minutes ago, Tazio said:

There seem to be two different version with different players. Maybe depending on you age. I go with Rossi, Boniek, and Tardelli personally. 

That’s the ones. 👍

11 minutes ago, Sir Craig Gordon said:

Never sing it for that very reason :lol: 

11 minutes ago, Marvin said:

For years I used to get the Drew Busby song wrong. I always got as far as His name is Drew Busby and thought it was he comes from the North as opposed to the cock of the North.

Always Cock for me 👌

2 hours ago, Drew Wallace said:

I thought it was ''by the Lights'' till it was pointed out to me 

So what is it cause thats what i thought it was 🤣

22 minutes ago, Marvin said:

I used to sing 'Talk of the North'.

Just now, Bing1874 said:

So what is it cause thats what i thought it was 🤣

Is it not just 'by the light'?

15 minutes ago, whodanny said:

:oohmatron:

10 minutes ago, Morgan said:

:wow:

Aye okay lads ,it’s what come out of my mouth and I always thought it was right 😇

39 minutes ago, Tazio said:

That's it, Taz.

40 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I went along the lines with Platini and Altobelli 

20 minutes ago, Morgan said:

I used to sing 'Talk of the North'.

That's what I sang.

I think most did as cock, well, sounds sort of rude and not altogether complimentary in this, and that, day and age.

35 minutes ago, Gambo said:

White Christmas, I always sung "...to hear Hearts fans in the snow".

Seems I was alone in that.🤪

Honest this Hearts fan who had never been to game before, say 15, was with us in the shed 

He sang Jingles Bells but the Xmas version as we all had a wee chuckle

Edited by Drew Wallace

5 minutes ago, martoon said:

That's what I sang.

I think most did as cock, well, sounds sort of rude and not altogether complimentary in this, and that, day and age.

So did i still do gulp 

59 minutes ago, Sir Craig Gordon said:

Yup , same 😂

40 minutes ago, whodanny said:

:oohmatron:

35 minutes ago, Morgan said:

:wow:

23 minutes ago, maggieb said:

Aye okay lads ,it’s what come out of my mouth and I always thought it was right 😇

You’ve just made it ten times worse, Mags.  :wink: 

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

My mind goes completely blank at Boniek and Tardelli. Youd think it would have stuck by now, only been going to games for 24 years 😂

Always though instead of "up to our knees" was "off to meet some Fe**** boys" all through the 70s & 80s, i am a bit deefie and had no other context than the games.

Edited by Deid Heid
typo

When I was very young I would hear the roars from Tynecastle park (1960 ish) from my home in Leamington terrace and I knew that it came from down the road somewhere past the canal. When I was taken to watch Hearts by my brother for the first time, and for years later, we went down the road to watch Hearts. It's not that I thought that the words were A way down in Gorgie, however, I have always sung it that way because, for me, it just sounds right🙂

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

I’ll sing Platini,  Boniek or Tardelli 

18 minutes ago, whodanny said:

:laugh:

39 minutes ago, Morgan said:

You’ve just made it ten times worse, Mags.  :wink: 

You two ? Captain demoted to cabin crew and the other fella is now just who? In my head,get back on topic you plums🤌🏻

4 minutes ago, sac said:

**** yer Harry

Yer Kevin Barry

Yer Lou Macari

Yer Harry Hood, yer Harry Hood, yer Harry Hood.

That song brings me back in time

But same words for me 

2 minutes ago, sac said:

👍 Wasn’t sure, failing memory.

Clap hands here comes Wilson to a hot chocolate advert tune of the time 

Imagine that now 

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

Platini and Altobelli scans much more naturally imo