Hearts songs You picked Up Wrong

Drew Wallace

All roads lead to Gorgie

I remember the shed used to sing p*nis p#nis when an opposition player missed an easy chance. I thought it was he missed the first few times I heard it.

2 hours ago, Tazio said:

There seem to be two different version with different players. Maybe depending on you age. I go with Rossi, Boniek, and Tardelli personally. 

2 hours ago, davemclaren said:

That’s the ones. 👍

I don’t know what it is about this song! It’s one of our best but I just can’t get this bit to scan! (And that’s after hearing it and trying to sing it for more years than I care to remember!). It just seems far too many words for the space both written down and when sung! I always thought the fact that it gets much quieter on this line perhaps confirms that others feel the same? (Rather than people not knowing the actual words?).

22 minutes ago, JamboGraham said:

I don’t know what it is about this song! It’s one of our best but I just can’t get this bit to scan! (And that’s after hearing it and trying to sing it for more years than I care to remember!). It just seems far too many words for the space both written down and when sung! I always thought the fact that it gets much quieter on this line perhaps confirms that others feel the same? (Rather than people not knowing the actual words?).

I was rather drunk one evening in Santa Ponsa when we played Majorca  (obviously went for the week😂) Ended up separated from the group and found myself in an Irish bar, I had my Hearts top on and a group of Irish guys wanted to hear one of our songs, given some of the song book (moreso back then) I thought I’d go with the European song. They were really impressed and asked me to teach them, I really couldn’t mind the players so I made them up, to this day there’ll be Irish guys thinking it goes Platini Diego and Zedani….. my mates tracked me down to hear that version being blasted out by about 15 random Irish guys😂

Sydney Devine
3 hours ago, Gilamas said:

Confession time from 2nd April 2006 - and given the number of empty seats, it just confirmed me in what I was hearing to the tune of Seven Nation Army:

"No hibees today. Oh, there's no hibbees todayyyyy."  

My son was 6 at the time of the semi final and he sang "all the Hibees are dead" and I didn't know whether it was better to correct him or just leave him be.  The difficulty of parenting?  

At my first game I headed for the toilets at half time and walked past a group of Hearts fans behind the McLeod St goals singing God Save the Queen.

In those days the national anthem was played at the cinema, theatre and sundry other occasions so for a short while I assumed that the national anthem was routinely sung at half time at all Scottish league matches.

It's not, is it?

Edited by 4marsbars

As a child (young) I used to sing ‘farts farts glorious farts’ after dropping an egg. Not really picked up wrong but more of gas mask song for my little sister at the time. 

Edited by Aussie Jambo

44 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

I do remember as young boy, asking my brother who Auld Ricky was

Similarly, my boyfriend used to sing that Enrique supports them with pride!

He's from Fife, but still...

9 hours ago, Marvin said:

For years I used to get the Drew Busby song wrong. I always got as far as His name is Drew Busby and thought it was he comes from the North as opposed to the cock of the North.

Well there's my one then... I've always sang "the talk of the north" 🙈

6 hours ago, Rudy T said:

I was rather drunk one evening in Santa Ponsa when we played Majorca  (obviously went for the week😂) Ended up separated from the group and found myself in an Irish bar, I had my Hearts top on and a group of Irish guys wanted to hear one of our songs, given some of the song book (moreso back then) I thought I’d go with the European song. They were really impressed and asked me to teach them, I really couldn’t mind the players so I made them up, to this day there’ll be Irish guys thinking it goes Platini Diego and Zedani….. my mates tracked me down to hear that version being blasted out by about 15 random Irish guys😂

I've been in a few Irish bars in Spain over the years.

Never once encountered an Irishman.

True story. 😊

First time i heard 'Na na na na, na na na na, hey hey Gorgie Aggro'

I thought it was 'broken ankle' that was being sung.  That was at Celtic park in the 1-4 SC loss 1983

:jj_facepalm:

19 hours ago, Sir Craig Gordon said:

Not missed heard, I just don't know embarrassingly, the foreign players names in the European songs 🤦🏻‍♂. I've researched them but I can never mind them, tbf I think most people don't know as it always dies down at that point.

The original names were Rossi, Boniek or Tardelli who were massive names in early to mid 80s when the song was written.  

17 hours ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

I remember the shed used to sing p*nis p#nis when an opposition player missed an easy chance. I thought it was he missed the first few times I heard it.

Same here!

19 hours ago, Sir Craig Gordon said:

Not missed heard, I just don't know embarrassingly, the foreign players names in the European songs 🤦🏻‍♂. I've researched them but I can never mind them, tbf I think most people don't know as it always dies down at that point.

100% This for me too Get that song changed to a couple more recent foreign footballers.

They've won all the honours in footballing arts - I always say WE. Not speaking about Hearts in the 3rd person 😂

Heard a few months ago at the Livingston home game I had a wee laugh was in Upper N

Our defense is as strong as the auld castle rock

H-E-A (H E A) ... R-T-S (R T S)

Some guy behind me - Our defense is as strong as Craig Gordon's COCK H-E-A... R-T-S 

The Old Tolbooth
9 hours ago, Dinger said:

when i was young i used to really like our striker "All star Andy"

I had to think about that one for a few secs :lol: 

2 hours ago, Ted (Theodore) Logan said:

Oh some sat that Celtic and Rangers are grand 

Or

Rangers and celtic are grand?

I still get mixed up 

Rangers and Celtic in the original

Celtic and Rangers in the 86 version

2 hours ago, Ted (Theodore) Logan said:

Oh some sat that Celtic and Rangers are grand 

Or

Rangers and celtic are grand?

I still get mixed up 

The original by Hector Nicol is Rangers and Celtic. The 1986 version is Celtic and Rangers. God knows why the changed the order.

With thanks to GC, the current feature in the match day programme, The Boys in Ma Room, took it's title from what my boy ( now28), thought the lyrics were when he was wee.

To be fair, he did raise a smile during the Scottish Cup replay against Partick a few years back, when they brought on their sub and he casually remarked, So This is Myles Storey ?

Edited by Busby8

Colonel Kurtz

i usd to wonder what crime the pope had committed which would merit a custodial sentence and why he was sitting on a parcel i also used to muse why anybody would walk on the queens highway surely not using the pavement doesnt merit being shot by a tommy gun 

The White Cockade
21 hours ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

😂😂😂

The boys in maroon are the talk of the toon and we all support them wi pride (when I was a wee boy)

His name is Drew Busby the talk of the north (until I was about 24 :facepalm:)

Could be worse I had a pal that came to Scotland v France at Hampden with me & my Dad when I was wee that was buzzing to see his favorite player "Terry Henry" (Henry as in Smith)

King Of The Cat Cafe
7 hours ago, BervieJambo said:

Rangers and Celtic in the original

Celtic and Rangers in the 86 version

Funnily enough, I've always heard it as "some say the Rangers and...."

Shanks said no

Mrs F picked up the Motherwell ditty wrongly and would sing Well, Well where’s your Well. Let her do it for quite a while and it’s been a running joke for many years as we all sing it now. 

Loads of folk sing the wrong words to Marchin through Gorgie ....

Correct words are

hooray hooray - we are the Gorgie boys

hooray hooray, we make a lot of noise

on Saturday's you'll hear us sing Tynecaste to Dalry

when we go marchin' thru Gorgie.

36 minutes ago, Groatallar said:

Loads of folk sing the wrong words to Marchin through Gorgie ....

Correct words are

hooray hooray - we are the Gorgie boys

hooray hooray, we make a lot of noise

on Saturday's you'll hear us sing Tynecaste to Dalry

when we go marchin' thru Gorgie.

I thought it was hear us from Tynecastle to Dalry