Gerrard is sacked as manager of Villa ( updated )

Hagar the Horrible

10 hours ago, JimboJambo1874 said:

That's the issue with Rangers. Financially they're not in a good place. That's got to play a role when he considers the whole picture.

If you listen to the Sportsound podcast the guy who runs Swiss Ramble was on going over the Rangers financials. He suggested that outside of the headline figures that they are very manageable for Rangers. 

A large chunk of the 7million required to get to the end of the season can be overcome by continuing in Europe and packing out Ibrox for tickets/hospitality. Can say what we like about The Rangers fans (generally that there's a chunk of vile bigots and absolute pond life who trashed George Sq for example) but they keep buying the tickets and selling out. It's as if they are scared any lack of money going in will kill their club. 

On another point - if Gerrard leaves it's 2-3million compensation and he'll come back and raid Rangers for Nathan Patterson or possibly Glen Kamara. He will be seen as they guy who stopped the 10 and got them out of financial difficulty. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fozzyonthefence

• Forever Hearts

• Pasquale for King

• Largo

1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

If Aston Villa truly want Steven Gerrard, then they will get him. He won't turn them down and Sevco won't turn down the compensation.

Sevco will then hire Derek McInnes as he will come cheaper than anyone else even at say £750k a year. McInnes will only be keeping the seat warm until Sevco think wee Barry is ready.

Mostly this but i dont think Barry will ever be ready for that level. 

23 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Mostly this but i dont think Barry will ever be ready for that level. 

Away by Friday now being reported by different outlets hopefully the beginnings of the demise of Sevco I’d pee my pants

Skivingatwork

I personally don’t see the attraction in Gerrard as a manager. 1 trophy in 9 attempts and that came courtesy of a complete meltdown by their only realistic challengers.

I’d buy into it more if he had them playing some incredible football but they’re largely very average and are regularly topped up by the customary refereeing oversights.

Villa do not have the resources to compete in the top 6 and in that respect he’d have to do a job similar to Moyes, which he’s not good enough to do.

Will be guaranteed a big pay day, whether he succeeds or not, but I don’t see that as a step towards the Liverpool job. 

Glamorgan Jambo

Would be a massive risk for Villa and Gerrard. Not saying it won’t happen but better and more proven managers than Gerrard will be knocking on the door.

Maroon Sailor

The whole Liverpool manager in waiting thing is very presumptuous.

He is nowhere near the level of the present incumbent and there is no guarantee he ever will be.

If you’re Gerrard you must be think this is an early Xmas present, they’re probably the biggest club outside the traditional ‘top 6’ they’ve got a decent squad, billionaire owners and you get on well with the chairman. That played against no guarantee of a league win in a two horse race, failure to do so leads to massive player sales and a tarnished reputation which could jeopardise not only the Liverpool job but any EPL job. That’s before his salary is even discussed. 

If Villa want Gerrard he will be the next Villa manager without a doubt. Any Rangers fan who thinks different is delusional. I think Celtic will win the league anyway but the turmoil SGs departure will cause will just further their chances but that aside it’s a massive opportunity for us to push for second.

Theres no way Rangers would have seen this coming so they’ll be scrambling around for some names to replace him and I suspect there’ll be a succession of nobody’s before they get it right again.

38 minutes ago, buzzbomb1958 said:

Away by Friday now being reported by different outlets hopefully the beginnings of the demise of Sevco I’d pee my pants

They should be able to replace him with somebody of equal stature.

Reckon they will stick with the same formula and go for someone like John Terry.

I'd say the only real success Gerard has had at Ibrox has been in European performances. He's had them doing well there, but one domestic trophy in three years isn't exactly setting the heather alight. Whatever happens, here's hoping it turns out to be a complete disaster for the Govan hordes.

SuperstarSteve

I’m absolutely certain Gerrard takes the Villa job. Me being certain counts for nothing though as the opposite usually happen. 

Gerrard wants the Liverpool job and I can’t see him getting it from managing rangers in this league unless he manages a miracle in Europe. 

15 minutes ago, May one-six said:

I'd say the only real success Gerard has had at Ibrox has been in European performances. He's had them doing well there, but one domestic trophy in three years isn't exactly setting the heather alight. Whatever happens, here's hoping it turns out to be a complete disaster for the Govan hordes.

People keep banging on about this "one trophy in 3 years" stat, and I hate Rangers as much as the next guy, but think about where they were when he took over in 2018/19... They'd only been back in the Premiership for a couple of seasons, they'd had an utterly disastrous campaign that saw them finish third and have three different managers, two of which were Graeme Murty and Jimmy Nicholl (aye, really!), and the other (Caixinha) being a massive gamble.  

Gerrard was another gamble and came in under massive pressure; their last kick at the baw; and I think has done incredibly well to rebuild them and get them back to the top and to where they are in Europe. 

28 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

They should be able to replace him with somebody of equal stature.

Reckon they will stick with the same formula and go for someone like John Terry.

don’t think JT would take slippys sloppy seconds also they can’t afford him as the compo reported to be only 3 mill when they need 7 or 8 to keep the lights on till the end of the season will have a bearing on who they bring in might be a cheap in house appointment 

40 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

He is nowhere near the level of the present incumbent and there is no guarantee he ever will be.

Man United have shown the danger in bringing back a Champions League winning hero for sentimental reasons.

Or Gerard could have a successful managerial career and never be offered the Liverpool job.

As someone once said, football's a funny old game.

28 minutes ago, May one-six said:

Agree with your assessment on Europe. This one trophy in 9 is great banter for us non huns but they were only interested in stopping 10 (or 9.75) in a row  , he did that by a mile despite Celtics head start and huge financial advantage from their years of champions league cash. 

3 minutes ago, buzzbomb1958 said:

don’t think JT would take slippys sloppy seconds also they can’t afford him as the compo reported to be only 3 mill when they need 7 or 8 to keep the lights on till the end of the season will have a bearing on who they bring in might be a cheap in house appointment 

Good alliteration

You have to look at his career ambitions. If it is to manage a club who genuinely has the resources to compete at the top level in the EPL,, he is never going to get a move from Der Hun to one of these clubs. Look at Brendan Rodgers. He was hailed as a genius in the SPL, had a track record already in the EPL but all he got was a move to a middling provincial EPL club who have been punching above their weight and simply had ambitions to continue to do so. He must get something else meaningful on his CV. That means a move abroad (not going to happen) or a move to middling EPL club. Villa fit the bill perfectly. Underperforming, but never going to be challengers. Have got resources and his tenure would be regarded as successful if he was comfortably in the top half, good cup runs and maybe challenging for the European places. After a few years, then he could look at a top club.

I P Knightley
23 hours ago, Sir Craig Gordon said:

Think he'd be daft to leave imo.

He's seen Steve Bruce trouser £8m from Newcastle; he must be able to get a similar contract at Villa. How much of a pay rise do you think that is compared to what he's getting from Ibrokes?

Forget all the stuff about the challenges of reaching/playing in the Champs League or meeting Chelsea/Citeh/Brentford every second week. He's in a paid job and wants to be paid as much as he can get.

22 hours ago, Absolute Scenes said:

This Calum Davidson love in has got to end. He is no managerial mastermind. He managed a team who won two cups against relatively easy opposition. Gerrard is miles ahead of Davidson. 

At the same time, SGR failed to win either cup against relatively easy option when SG had a budget about ten times the size of Calum Davidson's. With that Rangers budget at his disposal, Davidson would almost certainly have won one trophy. In fact, without the Gerrard halo to protect him, any manager winning only one trophy in nine would have had the Orcs baying for his blood.

Gerrard has to take the Villa job if offered otherwise folk will question his bottle and whether he backs his own ability as a potential future Liverpool manager. 

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, Rudy T said:

Theres no way Rangers would have seen this coming

I hope that's the case but would be surprised.

I always felt that the signing of such a high-profile character with no experience was a canny tactic. Give him sufficient budget and he'll struggle to do really badly; eyes from round the world will be on the CL-winning hero, so much so that they have become known as "Steven Gerrard's Rangers"; give him enough of a contract that you'll get decent compo when an EPL club comes in for him... I hadn't thought of the subsequent raid on Rangers players once he's moved on but that's another bonus.

I expected his name to be firmly in the frame when Newcastle were replacing Bruce. They and Villa are the perfect size of job for him.

If this happens it's great for Hearts, it's all set up for someone to challenge/ split them this year. Neither have looked great, you'd expect SG leaving will affect them. Celtic are on a decent run of form, but there's still mistakes in there (0-0 v Livi 2 weeks ago). We need to go to parkhead looking to win, no mistakes in the Scottish cup either please 🙏

1 hour ago, Rudy T said:

If you’re Gerrard you must be think this is an early Xmas present, they’re probably the biggest club outside the traditional ‘top 6’ they’ve got a decent squad, billionaire owners and you get on well with the chairman. That played against no guarantee of a league win in a two horse race, failure to do so leads to massive player sales and a tarnished reputation which could jeopardise not only the Liverpool job but any EPL job. That’s before his salary is even discussed. 

If Villa want Gerrard he will be the next Villa manager without a doubt. Any Rangers fan who thinks different is delusional. I think Celtic will win the league anyway but the turmoil SGs departure will cause will just further their chances but that aside it’s a massive opportunity for us to push for second.

Theres no way Rangers would have seen this coming so they’ll be scrambling around for some names to replace him and I suspect there’ll be a succession of nobody’s before they get it right again.

According to one of my workmates who is a currant, they wont be scrambling  around for a successor at all. Every man and his dug that supports them knows that it's Beales is the man who makes Gerrard and McAllister tick. If Gerrard goes(which I think he might)

Beales will get the gig.

1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:

He's seen Steve Bruce trouser £8m from Newcastle; he must be able to get a similar contract at Villa. How much of a pay rise do you think that is compared to what he's getting from Ibrokes?

He'll get himself a massive wage rise no doubt about it. I'd imagine he'll still be a very wealthy man from his playing days. I don't think money will be behind his decision, which ever one that is.

The stories coming out of Ibrox and Parkhead in the last 24hrs all point towards Hearts winning the league. 

I'm just not sure if it will be this season or next 🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻

Naisys Tackle

Alex Neil will be rangers manager this time next week I’m reliably informed.  If you don’t place a bet on it now then don’t say you weren’t told. Thanks

Naisys Tackle
37 minutes ago, drumie jambo said:

According to one of my workmates who is a currant, they wont be scrambling  around for a successor at all. Every man and his dug that supports them knows that it's Beales is the man who makes Gerrard and McAllister tick. If Gerrard goes(which I think he might)

Beales will get the gig.

Beale will be with Slippy all his career. 

SuperstarSteve
36 minutes ago, drumie jambo said:

Beales will get the gig.

Didn’t beales join with Gerrard? It’s possible he goes with him but your right all my rangers mates are saying if Gerrard goes The brains behind the full operation will be given the job. 

Bazzas right boot

Gerrard leaving might upset rangers a bit but they will continue to motor along ahead of us. 

They won't collapse as some are predicting. 

Forever Hearts
11 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Alex Neil will be rangers manager this time next week I’m reliably informed.  If you don’t place a bet on it now then don’t say you weren’t told. Thanks

😂😂😂

Byyy The Light
2 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Cant get my head around that either.

If he flunks at Villa, he’ll flunk at Liverpool so for him it makes sense to flunk at Villa rather than do a Lampard.

See no reason why he’s automatically a shoe in for Liverpool. 

SuperstarSteve
7 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

😂😂😂

He could be right just last month Neil said he would give the rangers job serious thought due to the magnitude of the club and he’s unattached so no compensation. He’s a Celtic man but would manage rangers without a doubt. 

Right Mr Gerrard, hurry up now off you pop and take 4-6 players with you in Jan transfer window!

derail sevco good and proper please.

C'mon....Jambo's still in with a title shout!

(Betfred have the JT's at 100/1 for the league)

29 minutes ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

Bookies are not wrong  1/5 with skybet, and 1/25 with betfair

##as for Neil you could get 16/1 on paddy power

You now can't get a bet on Neil for the Rangers job with Paddy. 

Berra than you
32 minutes ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

Bookies are not wrong  1/5 with skybet, and 1/25 with betfair

##as for Neil you could get 16/1 on paddy power

He's 1/12 on sky sports now. Looks like it's happening. On saying that, ok sure McInnes was like 1/50 for the rangers job before turning it down.

Hagar the Horrible
6 minutes ago, Berra than you said:

He's 1/12 on sky sports now. Looks like it's happening. On saying that, ok sure McInnes was like 1/50 for the rangers job before turning it down.

something is afoot, its moving quickly, best get a bet on Hearts to win league @100/1 although Hill still have not moved on 66/1 for in shop

Gerrard wont turn it down, he has been in talks for a while

1 hour ago, drumie jambo said:

Beales will get the gig.

Yeah of course he will, because Gerrard won’t even think of taking him to Villa😂 While SG may be a multi millionaire I doubt Beale is but he could quickly become one with a lucrative coaching job at say maybe an EPL team with billionaire owners. Rangers fans are delusional man.

1 hour ago, drumie jambo said:

Beales will get the gig.

Isn't it funny that this hasn't been mentioned before?

1 minute ago, jonesy said:

Just invested my family's holiday fund for 2022 into this sure fire thing.

I hope it was just a day trip to Burntisland you were planning😂

1 minute ago, Cruyff said:

Alex Neil is a Celtic fan. If he got it I'd imagine they'll not be a happy bunch and will need to win them over quickly. 

What could possibly go wrong?

3 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Agreed. If he can’t make a success of Villa with the cash available to him there then he has no chance at Liverpool.  Villa is perfect stepping stone opportunity for him. 

2 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

Forget all the stuff about the challenges of reaching/playing in the Champs League or meeting Chelsea/Citeh/Brentford every second week. He's in a paid job and wants to be paid as much as he can get.

At the same time, SGR failed to win either cup against relatively easy option when SG had a budget about ten times the size of Calum Davidson's. With that Rangers budget at his disposal, Davidson would almost certainly have won one trophy. In fact, without the Gerrard halo to protect him, any manager winning only one trophy in nine would have had the Orcs baying for his blood.

While SG did improve the shambles he inherited (not hard to), I do wonder what would have happened if last season had full  crowds.

1 trophy in 9 is woeful with his budget and while Lennon imploded Celtic, Gerrard’s teams struggled a bit before last season playing in front of fans and this season they have again been less than impressive with full stadia.

They probably still would have won the league at a canter but they definitely benefited from the bizzareness of the last 18 months to stop 10IAR.

14 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Just invested my family's holiday fund for 2022 into this sure fire thing.

A born and bred Celtic fan managing Rangers - that could get interesting very quickly. 

Pasquale for King

Hope he goes as any disruption at either of the uglies is to be celebrated, 2nd place or better could well be up for grabs this season. 

66/1 Have we ever been shorter odds to win the league ?

I reckon Rangers will be looking to cut costs once Gerrard goes. reports he is on 60k a week if they bring in Derek McInnes that will be down to about 5k a week. 

D7749110-8CA7-4B9A-9DAE-70AFF50359E5.jpeg

25E3BF89-8279-4891-BC0B-A75CF702B868.jpeg

94B56801-8F66-4E0C-8E89-E908AD137588.jpeg

Edited by Stu_HMFC

• davemclaren changed the title to Gerrard is sacked as manager of Villa ( updated )