Gerrard is sacked as manager of Villa ( updated )

Hagar the Horrible

jamboinglasgow
6 minutes ago, billythejambo said:

Robbie Neilson?

Could well be one they could consider. I wonder if they might do as they did with Gerard and try to get John Terry. Similar fit to Gerrard.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fozzyonthefence

• Forever Hearts

• Pasquale for King

• Largo

I think SG would do well at Liverpool never mind Villa

Hope he  goes somewhere just to upset the applecart and leave them fuming 

Edited by Drew Wallace

If he does go will the team revert back to being "Rangers" as opposed to "Steven Gerrard's Rangers" as they are currently referred to by the media?

Pasquale for King
30 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Martinez is a quality coach. You don't beat Brazil in a World Cup being a bad coach 

Did I say he was a bad coach? Overrated is the word I used, and for what he’s “achieved” in the game i think proves that. League 1 Champion with Swansea, an FA cup and a relegation with Wigan, 5th with Everyone then sacked. His current team are ranked number 1 in the world and have never looked like winning anything. 
Why he’s mentioned in the same bracket as world class managers is a bit of a mystery really.

Jambo in Bathgate
3 minutes ago, Drew Wallace said:

I think SG would do well at Liverpool never mind Villa

Hope goes somewhere just to upset the applecart

I think they will go for a non UK coach. They are missing Grelish. He made them tick. 

Maroon Sailor

I think Gerrard should wait and see what's happening across Stanley Park 

Rafa was not a popular choice so it won't take many more bad results to make it toxic.

I would laugh my head off if Slippy got approached by Everton

34 minutes ago, Sid said:

I think rather than positive potential, he should be looking at the risk. 
Villa are 2 points off relegation zone.  Number of defeats on the trot. No cavalry til January (even then, Jan not easiest window for signings). Could be deep in the s**t by then.  

If he moved and Villa got relegated, no certainty they come straight back up.  
Relegating a club, then couple of seasons in Championship isn’t going to help his CV for Liverpool. 
I think he would be better holding out for a “safer” Premiership Club. (If anyone would take him), ideally in the Summer. 
So he’s probably on his way then! 

They are also only 7 points adrift of Man Utd and Brighton  who  are in the Europa league spots. All he needs to do is win a mini league against the likes of Norwich Burnley  Watford and or Leeds  Brentford Newcastle. He might consider that an easier challenge than keeping Celtic at bay if as expected a few players are likely to exit the Ibrox door. I can also Celtic strengthen their team in January so he might want to leave now when they are top pf the pile. 

Just now, Hagar the Horrible said:

Villa are just as big as West Ham, who are above Liverpool in the league

And as big as Sheffield Wednesday who are in League 1. 

The Treasurer
45 minutes ago, skinnybob72 said:

If he does go will the team revert back to being "Rangers" as opposed to "Steven Gerrard's Rangers" as they are currently referred to by the media?

I just thought that was the name they had decided on for the new club

Pasquale for King
50 minutes ago, Sid said:

I think rather than positive potential, he should be looking at the risk. 
Villa are 2 points off relegation zone.  Number of defeats on the trot. No cavalry til January (even then, Jan not easiest window for signings). Could be deep in the s**t by then.  

If he moved and Villa got relegated, no certainty they come straight back up.  
Relegating a club, then couple of seasons in Championship isn’t going to help his CV for Liverpool. 
I think he would be better holding out for a “safer” Premiership Club. (If anyone would take him), ideally in the Summer. 
So he’s probably on his way then! 

He would have an idea of who could do a job for him at Villa from a club desperate for cash 😆
Souness did that when he went to Newcastle, Smith also did it at Everton I think.

IveSeenTheLight
1 hour ago, buzzbomb1958 said:

Don’t think it will cover the 23 mil black hole if he goes and I think he will any new sevco manager will be on the phone to him asking if it’s true there’s no cash this will have a bearing on who gets sevco job ,I don’t think sevco will get a bigger name as slippy so I would hope if he goes they will fall apart and hopefully die again

I read somewhere the buyout of Gerrard's contract is £5M. Don't know if that's just paying up the remaining term or something he has in his contract.

The bigger loss to SevCo will be Michael Beale

18 minutes ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

Villa are just as big as West Ham, who are above Liverpool in the league

West Ham have moyes a proven top level manager. Gerrard not there yet

rudi must stay
1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Did I say he was a bad coach? Overrated is the word I used, and for what he’s “achieved” in the game i think proves that. League 1 Champion with Swansea, an FA cup and a relegation with Wigan, 5th with Everyone then sacked. His current team are ranked number 1 in the world and have never looked like winning anything. 
Why he’s mentioned in the same bracket as world class managers is a bit of a mystery really.

Id put him and I reckon, if we met and sat for a meal he would wholeheartedly agree, as a very good manager 

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Terry Venables only ever won 1 FA Cup in all his time in management in England.

Under the floodlight
50 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

I read somewhere the buyout of Gerrard's contract is £5M. Don't know if that's just paying up the remaining term or something he has in his contract.

The bigger loss to SevCo will be Michael Beale

Lou Beale was a big loss to the Eastenders.

Gerrard leaving would be a good thing for us. I think he's overrated but some instability for them wouldn't do us any harm.

Perth to Paisley

Delboy will be on stand- by should a Govan vacancy arise.

Happy with that as he will never take them to the next level.

2 hours ago, skinnybob72 said:

Might become "The Team formerly known as Steven Gerrard's Rangers" like "The Artist formerly known as Prince".

4 minutes ago, Perth to Paisley said:

Delboy will be on stand- by should a Govan vacancy arise.

Happy with that as he will never take them to the next level.

I actually think Mcinnes will be the man they go for if Gerrard does leave, probably on a short term deal till the end of season. He would jump at that as well. 

Forever Hearts
3 hours ago, tian447 said:

Even if he does leave, I can't see it being during a season that they're currently sitting in top spot in.  He'll get to the end of the season before making any decisions.

Aston Villa are currently in 16th place, and are on a run of 5 straight defeats.  That is not an easy thing to turn around, and their best players aren't really that good compared to the teams around them.  Going from Rangers, cruising along, to a team who are already thinking about avoiding relegation is a huge amount of pressure.  It won't be easy, and honestly, Rangers is probably the easiest team he'll get to manage ever given the difference in budget to the rest of the league.  They can afford to sign a couple of players who turn out to be crap because the squad is already performing well.  If he was to do that at Villa, there's a good chance it could be the difference between staying up and going down.  He has improved Rangers, but they didn't need significant improvement, whereas a team like Villa would need to get it right and get it right quickly.

It's not a position I would put myself in.

They didn't need significant improvement? Really? They were miles behind Celtic when Gerrard took over, receiving regular humpings from them and Aberdeen had finished 2nd a couple of times. 

16 minutes ago, gregzy2k7 said:

He's got it good at sevco, I think he would get found out at villa imo.

Agreed, but if he can get x5 the money at Villa and be guaranteed his contract paid up like Nunes at Spurs (walked away with £14m for 9 matches) should it go bad. Personally I would get in Lampard and not SG, smarter guy and no compo. 

2 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Could well be one they could consider. I wonder if they might do as they did with Gerard and try to get John Terry. Similar fit to Gerrard.

That would be a match made in heaven. An absolute scumbag going to an absolutely scummy club.

1 minute ago, Craig_ said:

That would be a match made in heaven. An absolute scumbag going to an absolutely scummy club.

Terry is a Celtic fan believe it or not.

Pasquale for King
47 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Terry Venables only ever won 1 FA Cup in all his time in management in England.

He was no great shakes either was he?

68F95103-9D46-457F-84EF-6A4C3F5B84E5.jpeg

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, rudi must stay said:

Id put him and I reckon, if we met and sat for a meal he would wholeheartedly agree, as a very good manager 

Nothing in his C.V. so far backs that up. 

SuperstarSteve
35 minutes ago, gregzy2k7 said:

I actually think Mcinnes will be the man they go for if Gerrard does leave, probably on a short term deal till the end of season. He would jump at that as well. 

Could be wrong but he already turned them down which is why they went for Gerrard instead. 
Would maybe fancy his chances if asked again though 

14 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

He was no great shakes either was he?

68F95103-9D46-457F-84EF-6A4C3F5B84E5.jpeg

Compared to others no, but he was loved by the English media. Afterall he was a good London geezer.

Depending on how much dosh Villa offer for him, Rangers might push him out the door. The Athletic had a report on their cash losses the other day and they were astounding.

CL group stage auto qualification and all that but EPL teams can throw around silly money these days.

22 minutes ago, Swanny17 said:

Gerrard to Villa, Gattuso to Rangers. 

Gattuso might be an upgrade on SG so hope not. Derek McHunnes hopefully.  

Rangers fan last night saying why would he leave he’s on £2m a year at Rangers and his buy out clause is £10m so how could he go to a club like Villa, soon went back in his box when he found out Villa are owned by a billionaire 😂

HeartsandonlyHearts
39 minutes ago, Swanny17 said:

Gerrard to Villa, Gattuso to Rangers. 

Hopefully Joe Jordan picks him up at the airport. 

IveSeenTheLight
1 hour ago, Under the floodlight said:

Lou Beale was a big loss to the Eastenders.

Nae watched that since Michelle Ryan was eye candy in that.

Anyhoo, back on topic. It will be interesting to see if SevCo kick on after Michael Beale leaves or the revert to the Breadman / Caixhino type progress

IveSeenTheLight
30 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

CL group stage auto qualification and all that but EPL teams can throw around silly money these days.

Football First clarified that winning the league this year does not guarantee automatic entry into the CL group stages.

All depends on who the eventual winner is.

Pasquale for King
33 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Compared to others no, but he was loved by the English media. Afterall he was a good London geezer.

Exactly, they do prefer Laandaan Caaaants, a bit like weegies up here. 

Just now, IveSeenTheLight said:

Football First clarified that winning the league this year does not guarantee automatic entry into the CL group stages.

In this case I meant that if Rangers win the title, they will get automatic CL qualification and thereby a huge chunk of prize money. But Villa might be able to spot them enough cash for Gerrard that they'll take the risk on a manager switch and see if they can get both.

Pasquale for King
Just now, Led Tasso said:

In this case I meant that if Rangers win the title, they will get automatic CL qualification and thereby a huge chunk of prize money. But Villa might be able to spot them enough cash for Gerrard that they'll take the risk on a manager switch and see if they can get both.

They don’t get that money until the year after, still need to raise cash and Slippy is their most sellable asset. 
But then they might not get into the CL, what a dilemma, wee shame for them 😆

IveSeenTheLight
3 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

The Scottish League winners this year are not guaranteed CL group stage football.

That will only be determined by the eventual winners of the CL / EL.

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

They don’t get that money until the year after, still need to raise cash and Slippy is their most sellable asset. 
But then they might not get into the CL, what a dilemma, wee shame for them 😆

Another good point, the money would only benefit them the year after although, no reason why they wouldn't operate with more soft loans knowing the money would eventually come in

Bazzas right boot
5 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

I like him at Rangers. Nice man 

This is why I want him to leave. 

I'm no Liverpool or Gerrard fan but I do like him. 

It's like McCoist, I like him as well. 

It conflicts with my hatred, sorry dislike of the cheating *******, horrible club formerly known as Rangers. 

Hope he leaves. 

Tbh, although unLikley it is not out of this world that they might go for Bob and his coaching team if he were to leave, especially if the financial concerns are genuine. 

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

The Scottish League winners this year are not guaranteed CL group stage football.

That will only be determined by the eventual winners of the CL / EL.

Another good point, the money would only benefit them the year after although, no reason why they wouldn't operate with more soft loans knowing the money would eventually come in

I’m sure Slippy “invested” or loaned them money also, which might need paid back at some point if he left. 

Forever Hearts
11 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

The only way they won't get in is if this years winners don't qualify through their league placing. That's not going to happen in a month of Sundays so Rangers or Celtic will be in the group stages next season. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Gerrard is sacked as manager of Villa ( updated )