Gerrard is sacked as manager of Villa ( updated )

Hagar the Horrible

Hagar the Horrible

The twitteratti is rife with talk over this! He is number one on their shortlist,  and I bet they have already had erhmm so call sounded out, or as i put it full blown talks!

I hope this unsettles them and their challenge being over, also come january it will be all about who gets released from their Ibrox hell, rather than Rangers looking to weaken everybody else

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fozzyonthefence

• Forever Hearts

• Pasquale for King

• Largo

Would be good to see him leave Rangers to a bigger challenge and a bigger club with more money to spend. He won't become Liverpool manager coming from Rangers he needs to get a bigger move 😋

jamboinglasgow
Just now, Sir Craig Gordon said:

Think he'd be daft to leave imo.

Dunno, think Aston Villa could work nicely for him. They are underperforming at the moment, have owners who will back him. 

Though one thing if he was at Rangers which may make him stay is if he is wanting to show himself in the Champions league. After the failure earlier in the season, getting into the group stage automatically means a bigger stage to show what he can do. Plus he will not be short of suitors anytime soon.

As for Rangers, wonder who they would go for if Gerrard (and just as important his back room staff) left as it could leave a massive hole at the club.

1 minute ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Dunno, think Aston Villa could work nicely for him. They are underperforming at the moment, have owners who will back him. 

Though one thing if he was at Rangers which may make him stay is if he is wanting to show himself in the Champions league. After the failure earlier in the season, getting into the group stage automatically means a bigger stage to show what he can do. Plus he will not be short of suitors anytime soon.

As for Rangers, wonder who they would go for if Gerrard (and just as important his back room staff) left as it could leave a massive hole at the club.

They might offer it to Micheal Beale if Gerrard goes but I would think he would follow to Villa. 

If you're on your way to the Premier league you'd be daft to take it without being given assurances you'll have time and money to spend - which he might get at Villa. Brenda is sensible in that he is sounding it out for the summer at Man U so he can get a full pre-season.

I still partially agree with both things said on talksport in that if he wants the Liverpool job at some point he is better suited at rangers to show he is winning things and to an extent. Being in the likes of the europa to win it rather than just compete up to a certain point. I don't think Villa will ever be in a position to challenge at the top end given the resources all the clubs have in the league.

If he holds fire and gets into the CL he will be backed again at Rangers and it can only enhance his chances of the Liverpool job when it comes available.

If he goes to Villa and fails, as McCoist says, it could severely dampen his chances of being Liverpool gaffer in future.

Is he all that good? Callum Davidson has won twice as many trophies in one season with a far smaller budget, than slippy has done in the past 3 seasons.

If offered he'd be bonkers not to accept it.

Doesn't matter if he's not up to it, he's got others around him that are and if he wants the Liverpool job eventually he'll have to try his hand and gain experience in the EPL.

Don't really mind him so I hope he vamooses a.s.a.p before my loathing starts.

I can't see him leaving Rangers for Aston Villa.

Hopefully they don't come knocking on our door for a ready made football department when he and the current Rangers setup move on with Gerrard. 

11 minutes ago, mickycameron98 said:

His 1st 2 signings would be Kent and Goldson. Maybe Aribo too. Triple January sweep to totally derail them!

Maybe Tavernier they have Mathew Cash no sure who's better. 

Think Villa would be an ideal club for him to do a good 3/4 years at. 

Hagar the Horrible

Rangers might go for O'Neill, Farke or Neil,  but it will time for another guy from abroad we have never heard off

10 hours ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Would be good to see him leave Rangers to a bigger challenge and a bigger club with more money to spend. He won't become Liverpool manager coming from Rangers he needs to get a bigger move 😋

Sourness managed it....

manaliveits105

is this not just the weegia trying to make the ersecheeks seem important /relevant - Newcastle werent interested why should villa be ?

If I was him, I'd jump at the chance. A choice between going to Ross County, livi and Dundee every week, or old Trafford, anfield and the Emirates??? 

Also, expectations are fairly low at villa and he would be going in at a low level with them in 16th. Finishing around mid table would be seen as success. Whereas at rangers, anything less than winning the league and you're under pressure.

As for the Liverpool job, doing well in Scotland doesn't mean anything down there but improving villa would be seen as a good achievement. 

It would be a no brainer for me. 

9 hours ago, Stu_HMFC said:

"Back in his day" the term he likes to use every week on sky 

I've never listened to SKY. 

Gerard though might never be offered the Liverpool job. Putting his career on hold for it might be a mistake. Celtic are likely to win the league imo and he might get punted, you never know.

1 minute ago, Section Q said:

Gerard though might never be offered the Liverpool job. Putting his career on hold for it might be a mistake. Celtic are likely to win the league imo and he might get punted, you never know.

I think Klopps natural replacement when the time comes is his assistant Pep Lindjers. 

You're right thought he may never manage Liverpool but what more can he do in Scottish football to get a move elsewhere win the treble, 9 in a row. 

Edited by Stu_HMFC

37 minutes ago, Sir Craig Gordon said:

I dont think he will win the league this year, so maybe daft to stay.

26 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

Is he all that good? Callum Davidson has won twice as many trophies in one season with a far smaller budget, than slippy has done in the past 3 seasons.

Depends on how you define being good, he's good at man managing what are big name players for this league so would probably do quite well at a liverpool where he's also used to the expectation of winning every week, he'd probably not do so well at villa where he needs to train and improve players and the expectation is to basically not lose 5 in a row and not be near relegation.

SuperstarSteve
Just now, Section Q said:

If it’s true rangers survival rests on winning the league, I’d be betting there is no chance the outcome is anything other than a rangers league title win. 

Absolute Scenes
26 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

This Calum Davidson love in has got to end. He is no managerial mastermind. He managed a team who won two cups against relatively easy opposition. Gerrard is miles ahead of Davidson. 

Even if he does leave, I can't see it being during a season that they're currently sitting in top spot in.  He'll get to the end of the season before making any decisions.

Aston Villa are currently in 16th place, and are on a run of 5 straight defeats.  That is not an easy thing to turn around, and their best players aren't really that good compared to the teams around them.  Going from Rangers, cruising along, to a team who are already thinking about avoiding relegation is a huge amount of pressure.  It won't be easy, and honestly, Rangers is probably the easiest team he'll get to manage ever given the difference in budget to the rest of the league.  They can afford to sign a couple of players who turn out to be crap because the squad is already performing well.  If he was to do that at Villa, there's a good chance it could be the difference between staying up and going down.  He has improved Rangers, but they didn't need significant improvement, whereas a team like Villa would need to get it right and get it right quickly.

It's not a position I would put myself in.

39 minutes ago, Sir Craig Gordon said:

If Rangers don't offer him guarantees over player sales then I reckon he will leave but not necessarily now or for Villa. 

Rangers look likely to sell a player (maybe two) and may need further director loans to plug their 7million gap.

If they don't give him some form of guarantee then Gerrard has his way out keeping his reputation intact. 

Would be good to keep a close eye on Gary Mac he was sacked from Villa as a coach a few seasons ago. I wonder if he would go as part of Gerrard backroom staff. I'm sure they are under new ownership now anyway. 

Gerrard was at Liverpool when Purslow was the MD at Anfield. 

10 hours ago, Stu_HMFC said:

I think Klopps natural replacement when the time comes is his assistant Pep Lindjers. 

You're right thought he may never manage Liverpool but what more can he do in Scottish football to get a move elsewhere win the treble, 9 in a row. 

I think Villa is a decent move for him unless he's waiting for Brenda doing the bolt to Man U.

complete control
17 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I can't see him leaving Rangers for Aston Villa.

Hopefully they don't come knocking on our door for a ready made football department when he and the current Rangers setup move on with Gerrard. 

i think he would only leave Rangers for Liverpool myself

rudi must stay

I've been informed by a Rangers supporting friend that to call Rangers challengers would be unwise as they are champions. He said quite a lot but that was the most sensible part

1 minute ago, rudi must stay said:

I've been informed by a Rangers supporting friend that to call Rangers challengers would be unwise as they are champions. He said quite a lot but that was the most sensible part

Overall though they are still establishing themselves. Maybe Celtic will win 10 in a row now. One league title in the Rangers v Celtic battle is nothing.

Crucial period now. He should stay and have another go at Champions League next season which could also improve his chances for Liverpool.

Tennant's  6's
48 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

This. 

If his ambition is to manage Liverpool one day, he'll need to show what he can do in a better, more competitive league.

Villa are a decent side, just having a poor start to the season, getting used to grealish not being there to dig them outta the shit.

Hope he goes and they're forced to go for someone like derek mcinnes. They're finances don't make for good reading and ange seems to have them in his crosshairs.

Hopefully a, albeit very slight, chance for us to have a real go for being in the mix come the end of the season.

Pasquale for King
7 minutes ago, Tennant's 6's said:

This. 

If his ambition is to manage Liverpool one day, he'll need to show what he can do in a better, more competitive league.

Villa are a decent side, just having a poor start to the season, getting used to grealish not being there to dig them outta the shit.

Hope he goes and they're forced to go for someone like derek mcinnes. They're finances don't make for good reading and ange seems to have them in his crosshairs.

Hopefully a, albeit very slight, chance for us to have a real go for being in the mix come the end of the season.

I was thinking that yesterday, McInnes will be all over that. 

rudi must stay
11 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Overall though they are still establishing themselves. Maybe Celtic will win 10 in a row now. One league title in the Rangers v Celtic battle is nothing.

Crucial period now. He should stay and have another go at Champions League next season which could also improve his chances for Liverpool.

But it wouldn't be 10 in a row in would be one in a row. He has a point 

I tend to think he will leave shortly for Villa or another club seems to me he is getting touted for a few jobs now down south (probably has a agent putting the word out he is ready for a move) 

Don't think he will achieve a great deal more with Rangers other the  coming seasons, all is still not well financially at sevco. I imagine this will likely feature high in his thoughts.

fingers crossed this does cause Sevco difficuly in the very near future

rudi must stay
5 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Let’s hope so, Martinez has to be the most over rated manager ever. 

Martinez is a quality coach. You don't beat Brazil in a World Cup being a bad coach 

22 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

The Rangers may also be rather interested in a compensation package for Gerrard and his staff.

Don’t think it will cover the 23 mil black hole if he goes and I think he will any new sevco manager will be on the phone to him asking if it’s true there’s no cash this will have a bearing on who gets sevco job ,I don’t think sevco will get a bigger name as slippy so I would hope if he goes they will fall apart and hopefully die again

I would be surprised if he goes, Aston Villa are a club treading water and that's not going to change. When Brendan Rogers went south he had literally done everything he could with Celtic and he went down to a club who had recent success and the means to build on that. 

37 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

This Calum Davidson love in has got to end. He is no managerial mastermind. He managed a team who won two cups against relatively easy opposition. Gerrard is miles ahead of Davidson. 

I think Davidson got incredibly lucky last season and has much to prove as a manager.

My point was more that Gerrard, with the 2nd biggest budget in the league by a country mile, has won 1 trophy in his 3 years in Scotland and that was in part due to Celtic imploding.

His record in European competition is perhaps indicative that he has potential, but I'm not convinced that he is a credible candidate for even mid table EPL teams as it stands.

10 minutes ago, VALDOS' said:

I would be surprised if he goes, Aston Villa are a club treading water and that's not going to change. When Brendan Rogers went south he had literally done everything he could with Celtic and he went down to a club who had recent success and the means to build on that. 

Rodgers was about 10 years ahead of Gerrard, experience-wise, when he left Celtic. 

Hope he gets it, it presents many opportunities for the wheels to fall off the Rangers wagon. Don't think the comp will be all that and it'll be tough to recruit well with a minimal 'war chest'.

billythejambo
1 hour ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Robbie Neilson?

If he gets offered it he'd be crazy to turn it down.

He'd need to perform miracles at Rangers to be recruited by one of the top clubs, so someone like Villa is a realistic stepping stone.

Even if he's a flop he'll leave with millions in compo and some Premier League experience under his belt, and his name will still carry enough weight to get him another decent job.

I think rather than positive potential, he should be looking at the risk. 
Villa are 2 points off relegation zone.  Number of defeats on the trot. No cavalry til January (even then, Jan not easiest window for signings). Could be deep in the s**t by then.  

If he moved and Villa got relegated, no certainty they come straight back up.  
Relegating a club, then couple of seasons in Championship isn’t going to help his CV for Liverpool. 
I think he would be better holding out for a “safer” Premiership Club. (If anyone would take him), ideally in the Summer. 
So he’s probably on his way then! 

1 hour ago, manaliveits105 said:

is this not just the weegia trying to make the ersecheeks seem important /relevant - Newcastle werent interested why should villa be ?

😄  there should be a rule on here where they are only referred to as the ersecheeks. 

wentworth jambo
28 minutes ago, buzzbomb1958 said:

Don’t think it will cover the 23 mil black hole if he goes and I think he will any new sevco manager will be on the phone to him asking if it’s true there’s no cash this will have a bearing on who gets sevco job ,I don’t think sevco will get a bigger name as slippy so I would hope if he goes they will fall apart and hopefully die again

Maybe so but the compo plus the "ye kin go as long as ye take Morelos for £25m" just might 😉

• davemclaren changed the title to Gerrard is sacked as manager of Villa ( updated )