Gerrard is sacked as manager of Villa ( updated )

Hagar the Horrible

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

The only way they won't get in is if this years winners don't qualify through their league placing. That's not going to happen in a month of Sundays so Rangers or Celtic will be in the group stages next season. 

Agreed, Very unlikely but a team like Man Utd could scupper that. 

Unlikely tho as you say. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fozzyonthefence

• Forever Hearts

• Pasquale for King

• Largo

5 hours ago, mickycameron98 said:

His 1st 2 signings would be Kent and Goldson. Maybe Aribo too. Triple January sweep to totally derail them!

hopefully. That would be a bonus. 
Id be surprised if he left for there though 

Forever Hearts
1 minute ago, Smith's right boot said:

Agreed, Very unlikely but a team like Man Utd could scupper that. 

Unlikely tho as you say. 

Knowing Ole's luck they'll probably win it and he'll end up a hero. 

Bazzas right boot
Just now, Forever Hearts said:

Knowing Ole's luck they'll probably win it and he'll end up a hero. 

Stranger things have happened!

I want it to happen now I know that it could harm the bigot twins. 

IveSeenTheLight
5 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

The only way they won't get in is if this years winners don't qualify through their league placing. That's not going to happen in a month of Sundays so Rangers or Celtic will be in the group stages next season. 

Aye probably won't happen, but we can dream.

Jurgen Klopp took Borrusia Dortmund to be Champions League Winners but then they were terrible in the league.

Liverpool are sitting 4th, so imagine the irony if they were to slip into 5th spot yet win the champions league to deny SevCo automatic entry.

If Carlsberg did CL qualification..........

The Athletic had this the other day. (They also, shockingly, had a nice story on Hearts and Savage—I don't think I'm allowed to share it here but could maybe share a snippet).

The word out of Rangers this summer was that they were under no obligation to sell any of their star players, and so it came to pass. There was only going to be one financial outcome from that decision, though and, on Friday, the club announced a loss of £23.5 million for the year.

It follows losses of £15.9 million in 2019-20, £11.6 million in 2018-19, £13.2 million in 2017-18, £6.3 million in 2016-17 and £3.3 million in 2015-16 since the board came to power in 2015. That’s £73.8 million in total.

If Villa come along and offer £25m for Gerrard or something silly like that, Rangers will put him in a box and put a bow on it for them.

3 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Did I say he was a bad coach? Overrated is the word I used, and for what he’s “achieved” in the game i think proves that. League 1 Champion with Swansea, an FA cup and a relegation with Wigan, 5th with Everyone then sacked. His current team are ranked number 1 in the world and have never looked like winning anything. 
Why he’s mentioned in the same bracket as world class managers is a bit of a mystery really.

How do you think they got to be ranked number 1 and stay there ? I think you’re being harsh on him. Plenty top top managers at that sort of level don’t win things. 

Rudi5kaceldream1ng
5 hours ago, Sir Craig Gordon said:

Think he'd be daft to leave imo.

I think there's more to this. Basically there's probably some financial pressure at ibrox at the moment. 

Didn't they lose money during covid etc? 

Its still a risky move for gerard. He'd walk into the Liverpool job if klopp wasn't there. He doesn't want to go down there and put a major blott on his copybook if it doesn't work out. 

Aston villa aren't winning anything anytime soon. He's getting zero silverware there. A tough tough task. He should stay put imo. 

Rudi5kaceldream1ng
10 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Aye probably won't happen, but we can dream.

Jurgen Klopp took Borrusia Dortmund to be Champions League Winners but then they were terrible in the league.

Liverpool are sitting 4th, so imagine the irony if they were to slip into 5th spot yet win the champions league to deny SevCo automatic entry.

If Carlsberg did CL qualification..........

Hearts aren't out of the equation yet. 

Aberdeen however...you're firmly out of the league winning discussion. 

Throwing stones in "glass" houses and all that but you know all about it you've been doing it on here for years haha. 

Pasquale for King
17 minutes ago, Dazo said:

How do you think they got to be ranked number 1 and stay there ? I think you’re being harsh on him. Plenty top top managers at that sort of level don’t win things. 

They were number 1 when he took over, they got there because of the players they have. Any decent manager would get a tune out of them, a top manager would’ve won something in that time. Look at what Deschamp, Mancini and Santos have done. 

8EB1FAED-CE69-4E79-834B-3FBEAC53B825.jpeg

Pasquale for King
13 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Ummmm a serious point 

he might wasn’t a cheap goalkeeper 

He would have the first choice Argentinian GK, would CG even be on his radar as a number 2 ffs 🤦🏽

kingantti1874
30 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Ummmm a serious point 

he might wasn’t a cheap goalkeeper 

its not a serious point at all though.  It’s a daft point though I suspect you know that and it’s a deliberate post

1. They have a great keeper

2. Gordon would not sit on the bench 

3. Hed be more likely to go for Macgreagor 

craig is finishing his career at hearts.  

Edited by kingantti1874

37 minutes ago, Rudi5kaceldream1ng said:

I think there's more to this. Basically there's probably some financial pressure at ibrox at the moment. 

Didn't they lose money during covid etc? 

Its still a risky move for gerard. He'd walk into the Liverpool job if klopp wasn't there. He doesn't want to go down there and put a major blott on his copybook if it doesn't work out. 

Aston villa aren't winning anything anytime soon. He's getting zero silverware there. A tough tough task. He should stay put imo. 

Villa is risky, if he goes there and they do end up going down this season, he can wave goodbye to managing Liverpool any time soon. Even worse if he didn't get Villa back up at first time of asking too.

On the other hand he could be a massive hit which could potentially set him up for when Klopp leaves. However if he keeps doing what he's doing at Rangers with good European runs and titles he's getting that Liverpool job anyway I'd imagine.

3 hours ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

I read somewhere the buyout of Gerrard's contract is £5M. Don't know if that's just paying up the remaining term or something he has in his contract.

The bigger loss to SevCo will be Michael Beale

any idea how much he is getting paid per annum and the length of contract? 

Difficult to be certain from the accounts but note 4 would suggest he may be on around 1.3m though reports in the press suggest 2.5m.

6 hours ago, mickycameron98 said:

His 1st 2 signings would be Kent and Goldson. Maybe Aribo too. Triple January sweep to totally derail them!

I don't think Goldson or Kent are good enough for the EPL. Aribo and Kamara

the ones to watch.

The Rangers , according to their accounts, need £7.5m to get to the end of the season. They didn't manage to sell a player in the last window ( which their CEO said they would), so compensation for Gerrard leaving will be welcomed IMHO.

Edited by Wilson

6 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Decent step up for him.  Good squad, good club. If he wants Liverpool he will have to do it at another EPL club.  

Yep, and leaves a potentially cash-strapped dinosaur behind before it gets bad. His relationship with Villa ceo is sound as well so it’s a likely happening. 

1 hour ago, 1971fozzy said:

hopefully. That would be a bonus. 
Id be surprised if he left for there though 

So, if he has ambitions to be Liverpool manager where does he go as an interim step?   I can’t see any way he goes straight from Rangers to Anfield unless he takes Rangers to latter stages of Champions League which has no chance of happening. 

1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

its not a serious point at all though.  It’s a daft point though I suspect you know that and it’s a deliberate post

John M more likely as number 2 

2 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

McGregor is finished. He'll retire at the end of the season. 

Edited by Mr Elwood P

He stated earlier this season he was not happy that there was no money to bring players in. Imo that was hime leaving the door open in order to bolt at the first opportunity. Maybe this will be that opportunity. Don’t forget his wife and kids are living in L’pool so that could be a draw too. Maybe they would join him in B’ham? 

Seymour M Hersh

From the Telegraph this evening.

Steven Gerrard interested in Aston Villa job - with club set to make official approach to Rangers

Villa’s ambitious owners Nassef Sawiris and Wes Edens see the former Liverpool captain as a fitting figurehead for their project

Think villa are hoping against hope but will show there fans some kinda  ambition  Re of what pans out 

4 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

He will go for his wee mate from Rangers Andrew Firth he is like 5th choice keeper at rangers. He brings Character to the dressing room according to Gerrard 😂

He was at Liverpool and Barrow 😂

Gordons going no where he’s made his money and wants to continue to play into his 40s . Their is no better place to play out his final 2/3/4 years. 

1 hour ago, Mr Elwood P said:

McGregor is finished. He'll retire at the end of the season. 

I seen on BBC Sport gossip page Zander Clark been linked 🧐. They have McLaughlin and McCorie thought one of them would step up to become NO1

The Future's Maroon

I read somewhere a few weeks ago (still getting over it) that SG is on something ridiculous like £240k a month as manager at The Rangers….if, and big if, that’s true or even close they might want him to go?

Personally I think he is better jumping ship now with his stock held high.

Edited by The Future's Maroon

JimboJambo1874

Eventually he's going to go. The question is, is this the right time and the right club? In terms of timing, possibly one year too early. If he doesn't go however, there is no guarantee of another offer next year. Club wise, Villa is about right. The expectation level isn't huge. If he get them near the top 10 and they have a decent run in the FA cup, that might be acceptable to the fans for a couple of seasons. All things considered, it's probably wise of him to accept.

Edited by JimboJambo1874

Guest ToqueJambo

Of all the manager jobs that have come up recently this seems like Gerrard's best option to make his move back into England. Otherwise he'll need to do much more at Rangers to jump straight into his dream job.

JimboJambo1874
3 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Yep, and leaves a potentially cash-strapped dinosaur behind before it gets bad. His relationship with Villa ceo is sound as well so it’s a likely happening. 

That's the issue with Rangers. Financially they're not in a good place. That's got to play a role when he considers the whole picture.

3 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

So, if he has ambitions to be Liverpool manager where does he go as an interim step?   I can’t see any way he goes straight from Rangers to Anfield unless he takes Rangers to latter stages of Champions League which has no chance of happening. 

your right. Villa is a huge club to be fair

8 minutes ago, The Future's Maroon said:

I read somewhere a few weeks ago (still getting over it) that SG is on something ridiculous like £240k a month as manager at The Rangers….if, and big if, that’s true or even close they might want him to go?

Personally I think he is better jumping ship now with his stock held high.

If he is on that it’s a no brainer for them to let him go. After all he stopped Celtic so jobs done

Maroon Sailor

Gerrard has been earmarked for the Liverpool job ever since he retired from playing.

Doesn't always work like that just ask Steve Bruce with Man U or Mark Hughes or Roy Keane.

Klopp is going nowhere for the foreseeable imo so why would he risk his so called dream job by tarnishing his rep at English  clubs that underachieve

8 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Gerrard has been earmarked for the Liverpool job ever since he retired from playing.

Doesn't always work like that just ask Steve Bruce with Man U or Mark Hughes or Roy Keane.

Klopp is going nowhere for the foreseeable imo so why would he risk his so called dream job by tarnishing his rep at English  clubs that underachieve

He may love Liverpool .. he may want to be there manager .. but I think people like him don't want the easy life, they want to prove themselves, take on challenges and overcome them. If its more money and its a challenge that could make them better (even though the risk is there that they fail) i believe they'd choose to be challenged over not

18 minutes ago, Homme said:

Makes it all the more imperative we keep our good run going and our players in January.

You just never know. 

Very true. Realistically there has to be disarray at both Arse Cheeks to give the rest of us a chance with ourselves in pole position if that happened. Unfortunately Septic are looking like getting their act together again.

Nonetheless, in Kevin Keegan speak, I'd bloody loooove it if, in the season when the Scottish Champions go straight into the Champions' League group stage it was us.

We can dream.... 

The Villa job has not turned out well for most of the managers who have gone there in the last 20 years or so. If it goes badly for Gerrard he could really blow his chances of the Liverpool job.

11 minutes ago, stirlo said:

The Villa job has not turned out well for most of the managers who have gone there in the last 20 years or so. If it goes badly for Gerrard he could really blow his chances of the Liverpool job.

For me

What ever pans out with SG

He would always be welcomed at Liverpool as a manager

I think far too much is being made of Gerrard and Liverpool.  Yes, he's a club icon, yes, I'm sure that's an ideal goal, but at the moment he'd have to unseat a manager who's won them their first league title since Hillsborough and isn't showing any signs of itchy feet.

Gerrard should (and IMO he probably will) put Liverpool out of his mind for a bit and work on his career as a manager anywhere. Villa are a good club who are under-performing at the moment. Sure, he'll have to make lemons into lemonade but most of that squad finished 11th last season. It's not a terrible squad.

His best career move at this point is probably to go to either Villa or a club like Villa, do his best there for a few seasons, then go manage a continental club like Atletico or Dortmund or Bologna. By then, Klopp may be winding up at Liverpool and he'll have had an absence long enough to make Liverpool hearts grow fonder.

And if he never makes it to Liverpool, he'll have to struggle through life collecting 8 figure salaries as a top European football manager. Oh the injustice.

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

I think far too much is being made of Gerrard and Liverpool.  Yes, he's a club icon, yes, I'm sure that's an ideal goal, but at the moment he'd have to unseat a manager who's won them their first league title since Hillsborough and isn't showing any signs of itchy feet.

Gerrard should (and IMO he probably will) put Liverpool out of his mind for a bit and work on his career as a manager anywhere. Villa are a good club who are under-performing at the moment. Sure, he'll have to make lemons into lemonade but most of that squad finished 11th last season. It's not a terrible squad.

His best career move at this point is probably to go to either Villa or a club like Villa, do his best there for a few seasons, then go manage a continental club like Atletico or Dortmund or Bologna. By then, Klopp may be winding up at Liverpool and he'll have had an absence long enough to make Liverpool hearts grow fonder.

And if he never makes it to Liverpool, he'll have to struggle through life collecting 8 figure salaries as a top European football manager. Oh the injustice.

He won't unseat Klopp but Klopp will eventually leave. Gerrard is definitely a Liverpool manager in waiting. All he has to do is not make a complete disaster of his next job, or his current job. Guessing that's why he's being vey selective. 

If Dalglish can go from player straight into the Liverpool manager seat Gerrard can with experience behind him. Or see Xavi now taking over at Barca after managing in a second rate league.

Let's say Klopp left in two years time and Gerrard was still at Rangers. Would he be attractive to Liverpool?

My view is that for all he has been relatively successful at Ibrox, how much mustard does that cut down South?

In the back of the Liverpool board's mind, they must be looking at Man U and the "Oli effect". Being a club legend doesn't equal managerial success.

If I were Liverpool and really wanted Gerrard as manager I'd want him to cut his teeth in the premiership first.

ToadKiller Dog

To go from Rangers to Liverpool would likely need him to have a decent season or 2 in champions league group stages at the Uglies ,I don't really see that happening, he will need a Villa type club in-between if Liverpool is the final destination for him.

Villa of course is a big English club but generally hasn't lived upto that for decades .it's a potential damaging move if it fails but it also shows a willingness in one's career taking such a role .

He could easy miss the boat staying at castle Numbskull too long as chairmen might see him as lacking ambition

If he is offered I can see him going .

Orcs can get Wayne Rooney in next lol.

If Aston Villa truly want Steven Gerrard, then they will get him. He won't turn them down and Sevco won't turn down the compensation.

Sevco will then hire Derek McInnes as he will come cheaper than anyone else even at say £750k a year. McInnes will only be keeping the seat warm until Sevco think wee Barry is ready.

• davemclaren changed the title to Gerrard is sacked as manager of Villa ( updated )