Yorkshire CCC

Maroon Sailor

Maroon Sailor

Losing a lot of sponsors over the institutional racism that Azeed Rafiq has accused them of.

Can't see changing room banter ever being the same again across all sports.

Be interesting to see what comes out of this.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• i8hibsh

• Malinga the Swinga

• JackLadd

5 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Losing a lot of sponsors over the institutional racism that Azeed Rafiq has accused them of.

Can't see changing room banter ever being the same again across all sports.

Be interesting to see what comes out of this.

Yes, no more mickey taking in the dressing room.

2 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Yes, no more mickey taking in the dressing room.

Well - no more mickey-taking based on someone's skin colour. Surely that's not a bad thing?

There's plenty of other avenues for mickey-taking e.g. dropped catches, poor shot selection, questionable fashion sense, music taste - anything that could constitute low-level bullying, I guess.

2 minutes ago, Boof said:

Well - no more mickey-taking based on someone's skin colour. Surely that's not a bad thing?

There's plenty of other avenues for mickey-taking e.g. dropped catches, poor shot selection, questionable fashion sense, music taste - anything that could constitute low-level bullying, I guess.

Nope, it will move onto all things being seen as offensive, it's the way the human race is going.

17 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Nope, it will move onto all things being seen as offensive, it's the way the human race is going.

Bit snowflakey?

Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, Boof said:

Rafiq complained about being called a P**i

Maroon Sailor

Yorkshire CCC chairman has resigned blaming the ECB failure to help or act

Edited by Maroon Sailor

I P Knightley
13 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Just like the crooked MP who resigned yesterday: make sure that someone else takes some flak when circumstances are entirely of your own making and under your own control.

I'm no big cricket follower but it wasn't all that long ago the Yorkshire relaxed rules saying that only folk born in Yorkshire would be allowed to be members of the club. It's little surprise that they have got into this trouble as a result of "taking care" of matters in their own way.

Maroon Sailor
5 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Just like the crooked MP who resigned yesterday: make sure that someone else takes some flak when circumstances are entirely of your own making and under your own control.

I'm no big cricket follower but it wasn't all that long ago the Yorkshire relaxed rules saying that only folk born in Yorkshire would be allowed to be members of the club. It's little surprise that they have got into this trouble as a result of "taking care" of matters in their own way.

MPs are getting involved in this story

Suspect more members of the Yorkshire CCC board to resign due to mounting pressure. The executive directors in particular

26 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Perhaps they might ask Stewart Regan to come back?

51 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Rafiq complained about being called a P**i

Quite rightly, of course.

What I meant - and thought I'd expressed it clearly - was that NOW there ought to be no more mickey-taking based on someone's skin colour.

And the 'not a bad thing' would be the fact that it wouldn't be happening any more i.e. it's good that it's being eradicated.

22 minutes ago, Cade said:

As usual, some people on here seem unaware of hate speech laws.

You mean the absurd laws that can lock you up for abbreviating a nationality, making a gay/trans joke etc? Bear in mind in Pakistan you can be executed for questioning the Koran, they want that brought in here also.  

Maroon Sailor
28 minutes ago, Boof said:

Quite rightly, of course.

What I meant - and thought I'd expressed it clearly - was that NOW there ought to be no more mickey-taking based on someone's skin colour.

And the 'not a bad thing' would be the fact that it wouldn't be happening any more i.e. it's good that it's being eradicated.

Be a good thing if it eradicates all form of derogatory words to do with someone's culture and stereotypes 

Can you see people stop using the terms Yank, Frog, Jock, Weegie, Paddy, Kraut ?

I've served with someone who refused to say the word Scot or Scottish.

It was always Jock football, Jock pie, Jockland, Jock egg, he's a fecking Jock etc .....

Edited by Maroon Sailor

I saw a quote from someone the other day that simplified it to the point even idiots can understand it. Banter is like sex, it’s only a thing if both sides are participating. If only one party is then it’s a totally different thing. 

2 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Be a good thing if it eradicates all form of derogatory words to do with someone's culture and stereotypes 

I agree.

2 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Can you see people stop using the terms Yank, Frog, Jock, Weegie, Paddy, Kraut ?

It might happen. Slowly. I'm sure there are fewer people now who'd speak about going for a Chinese meal in the way it was used in the 70s and earlier. Ditto going to the corner shop.

Maroon Sailor

Michael Vaughan is on a sticky wicket as well

When addressing a group of Asian players at the club he is allegedly been heard to say "Too many of you lot, we need to do something about it "

Sounds to me like there's a lot of dinosaurs on the board, judging from a piece I seen on the TV this morning and what the ex-chairman has said, something about the ECB and also something about trying to get his own board members to change but didn't get any/much response from them, so he resigned.

Malinga the Swinga
6 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

When addressing a group of Asian players at the club he is allegedly been heard to say "Too many of you lot, we need to do something about it "

So easy to trash Vaughan's reputation which until now, was untarnished. 

Gary Balance also in bother. He admits using dodgy terminology but thought Rafiq okay with it as he called Balance some terms as well. Rafiq even invited Balance to his wedding as they were best mates and Rafiq had previously attended Balances wedding himself.

Wonder if one particular incident triggered this?

9 hours ago, Tazio said:

I saw a quote from someone the other day that simplified it to the point even idiots can understand it. Banter is like sex, it’s only a thing if both sides are participating. If only one party is then it’s a totally different thing. 

In the case of Gary Ballance, who has admitted to and apologised for using racial terms towards Rafiq, his view is very much that it was 2 way 'banter' between mates.

Seems that he was regularly referred to as a p**i and I imagine he knew from some of his mates that it was 'friendly banter' and was happy to take it in that way, but that others weren't using it in the same fashion.

JimboJambo1874
14 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Unfortunately that's where we are heading. What started as a genuine movement to tackle racism has now become dogmatic, requiring and almost religious levels of of adherence to 'woke' rules. There is no end to this. We are already at the point where comedians are effectively being told what constitutes an acceptable joke. People think it's an exaggeration to say we are on our way to Soviet of Chinese style censorship. Really? Did anyone 20 years ago think would be where we are today. Endless cancellations and the shaming of anyone who has made a comment at any time, no matter how far in the distant past. Wokeness is a cult. If we don't challenge it now, we are all going to wish we had soon enough.

JimboJambo1874
1 hour ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Gary Balance also in bother. He admits using dodgy terminology but thought Rafiq okay with it as he called Balance some terms as well. Rafiq even invited Balance to his wedding as they were best mates and Rafiq had previously attended Balances wedding himself.

The woke cult doesn't allow for any deviation from orthodoxy. It rises to new levels every day. Who will be cancelled tomorrow?

JimboJambo1874
9 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

To be fair that is out of line. But bear in mind, he is alleged to have said that. We are so quick these days to want to have people condemned based on nothing more than an accusation. Even if he did say that, he is clearly not a racist. He has played cricket all over the world and has good friends from all cricket playing nations. If he did say that, he should sincerely apologise. There will be those who want him banned from commentating however. That is a step too far. We've probably all said and done things in the past we are not proud of. We quietly have a word with ourselves, mature and move on. If you are a public figure however, you are vilified and cancelled. 

JimboJambo1874
12 hours ago, JackLadd said:

You mean the absurd laws that can lock you up for abbreviating a nationality, making a gay/trans joke etc? Bear in mind in Pakistan you can be executed for questioning the Koran, they want that brought in here also.  

It is absolutely incredible watching this woke madness develop in to a full blown cult. Any reasonable person understands that genuine racism is wrong. If you want to be a decent person, don't be racist, simple as that. Political correctness however has morphed in to full blown religious-like fervor, in the name of the new faith of wokeness. Every other day, a comedian is cancelled. An actor is shamed for a comment they made when they were 16. People are fired from their jobs. Making basic statements of fact like, there are only 2 genders, has become a criminal offence. The western world is becoming an Orwellian nightmare.

Maroon Sailor
16 minutes ago, JimboJambo1874 said:

To be fair that is out of line. But bear in mind, he is alleged to have said that. We are so quick these days to want to have people condemned based on nothing more than an accusation. Even if he did say that, he is clearly not a racist. He has played cricket all over the world and has good friends from all cricket playing nations. If he did say that, he should sincerely apologise. There will be those who want him banned from commentating however. That is a step too far. We've probably all said and done things in the past we are not proud of. We quietly have a word with ourselves, mature and move on. If you are a public figure however, you are vilified and cancelled. 

A lot of things are taken out of context. You know yourself when it's banter and when it's not.

I don't believe Vaughan or Ballance are racists but it's got to the stage now that any throw away comment can bite you on the arse big time.

We all have to careful what we say to people and I'm not talking about racial undertones I'm talking about everything.

Edited by Maroon Sailor

JimboJambo1874
1 minute ago, Maroon Sailor said:

A lot of things are taken out of context. You know yourself when it's banter and when it's not.

I don't believe Vaughan or Ballance are racists but it's got to the stage now that any throw away comment can bite you on the arse big time.

We all have to careful what we say to people and I'm not talking about racial undertones I'm talking about everything.

You are absolutely right. The policing of speech has now reached an Orwellian level. We're on a dangerous path. A whole generation have been taught to call anything they 'feel' is offensive. It'll get to the point where kids will go to school and say Mummy or Daddy made this comment. Before you know it, there's a knock on the door and the police are arresting you for hate speech. This is marxism and it must be stopped before it gets any worse.

54 minutes ago, JimboJambo1874 said:

It is absolutely incredible watching this woke madness develop in to a full blown cult. Any reasonable person understands that genuine racism is wrong. If you want to be a decent person, don't be racist, simple as that. Political correctness however has morphed in to full blown religious-like fervor, in the name of the new faith of wokeness. Every other day, a comedian is cancelled. An actor is shamed for a comment they made when they were 16. People are fired from their jobs. Making basic statements of fact like, there are only 2 genders, has become a criminal offence. The western world is becoming an Orwellian nightmare.

Country has gone extra insane since Floyd, an incident that nothing to do with UK.

50 y/o West Brom fan collected 8 weeks inside for posting the word baboon in relation to the Baloon'd'or and a black player on facebook, confirmed today by some kangaroo court (hopefully a safe animal metaphor) Meanwhile a guy who broke into my mother's house a few years back, confronted her and made off with her handbag and valuables got a suspended sentence and he was a repeat offender. Absurd country.  

6 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

Country has gone extra insane since Floyd, an incident that nothing to do with UK.

50 y/o West Brom fan collected 8 weeks inside for posting the word baboon in relation to the Baloon'd'or and a black player on facebook, confirmed today by some kangaroo court (hopefully a safe animal metaphor) Meanwhile a guy who broke into my mother's house a few years back, confronted her and made off with her handbag and valuables got a suspended sentence and he was a repeat offender. Absurd country.  

Did he not try and claim he meant to type buffoon but autocorrect made it come out as baboon? That's ridiculous if you believe that. He also said his phone had been hacked when first questioned. 

16 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

Did he not try and claim he meant to type buffoon but autocorrect made it come out as baboon? That's ridiculous if you believe that. He also said his phone had been hacked when first questioned. 

Whatever the circumstances they picked this guy out and hammered him. I'd get a prosecution (court fine) if he was dropping a litany of N bombs and harassing this guy with them but it was one word with an interpretation needed which I don't see as a misdemeanour let alone a two month custodial sentence. These Yorkshire cricket office holders resigning and being cancelled for the alleged historical use of the P word is equally ott but it's testament to the power of social media and the woke agenda.  

Edited by JackLadd

13 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Howzat???

3 hours ago, JimboJambo1874 said:

Can't deny it. I jizzed my pants at that superb post :thumbsup:

13 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

I've read bits n pieces about it but haven't delved too deep to find out the alleged banter text outside the p-word but I also read that the word Zimbo (or a close approximation) was used in return, during the friendly banter. Referring to Ballance's Zimbabwean roots/heritage etc. Reading between the lines seems they were cool with it (maybe not entirely but under the lockeroom circumstances, etc etc) initially, it fizzled out as these thing stend to do simply because with any bantz it gets boring quickly, they've fallen out over something and now being brought out again.

Tbqh though, it's not been appropriate to use that word since well as long as I can remember, from the late 70s/early 80s, as it only seemed to me to be used in a derogatory fashion.

48 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

I've read bits n pieces about it but haven't delved too deep to find out the alleged banter text outside the p-word but I also read that the word Zimbo (or a close approximation) was used in return, during the friendly banter. Referring to Ballance's Zimbabwean roots/heritage etc. Reading between the lines seems they were cool with it (maybe not entirely but under the lockeroom circumstances, etc etc) initially, it fizzled out as these thing stend to do simply because with any bantz it gets boring quickly, they've fallen out over something and now being brought out again.

Tbqh though, it's not been appropriate to use that word since well as long as I can remember, from the late 70s/early 80s, as it only seemed to me to be used in a derogatory fashion.

This is what it boils down to really. Don't use a phrase which is known to be deeply offensive.

Doesn't matter how close I was to a black/gay/Chinese person, I'd never call them a n****r/p**f/ch***y. But if you're bald I reserve the right to call you a bald *******.

Edited by Sooperstar

Seymour M Hersh
1 minute ago, jonnothejambo said:

We all got on great when we got to know each other and we had some fantastic experiences after work etc.

I love a happy ending Jonno.  :oohmatron:

Maroon Sailor
34 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

This is what it boils down to really. Don't use a phrase which is known to be deeply offensive.

Doesn't matter how close I was to a black/gay/Chinese person, I'd never call them a n****r/p**f/ch***y. But if you're bald I reserve the right to call you a bald *******.

Secret is not to say anything in jest anymore.

5 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Secret is not to say anything in jest anymore.

Which is a shame but is also right. You don't know how people will react and unless they're being ridiculous you should respect their wishes.

19 hours ago, JimboJambo1874 said:

Unfortunately that's where we are heading. What started as a genuine movement to tackle racism has now become dogmatic, requiring and almost religious levels of of adherence to 'woke' rules. There is no end to this. We are already at the point where comedians are effectively being told what constitutes an acceptable joke. People think it's an exaggeration to say we are on our way to Soviet of Chinese style censorship. Really? Did anyone 20 years ago think would be where we are today. Endless cancellations and the shaming of anyone who has made a comment at any time, no matter how far in the distant past. Wokeness is a cult. If we don't challenge it now, we are all going to wish we had soon enough.

That's a great post, welcome to the board.

• 2 weeks later...
Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Ked said:

The behaviour of the so called team mates and the club are now laid bare as despicable.

No where near banter.

Absolutely disgusting, surely the police must be monitoring this situation. 

Malinga the Swinga
9 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Absolutely disgusting, surely the police must be monitoring this situation. 

Haven't the police got enough to do with stopping burglaries, terror attacks and day to day offences?

Still, will allow them to get their faces on national TV which is what mainstream policing seems to be about.

Pretty sure that every workplace in history will have had this happen at one point or another. Will the police be investigating all of these as well, or just the ones that they consider high enough profile?

Obviously anyone can, will and could be offended by any name you call them and obviously the intent in which it’s used. 

I was intrigued in the origin of the term ****** and googled the name Pakistan. Here’s what I found. 

PAKISTAN: "THE LAND OF THE PURE"

The originator of the word PAKISTAN, Chowdhry Rehmat Ali wrote of his concepts, 
" 'Pakistan' is both a Persian and an Urdu word. It is composed of letters taken from the names of all our homelands- 'Indian' and 'Asian', that is Punjab, Afghania (North- West Frontier Province), Kashmir, Iran, Sindh (including Kachch and Kathiawar), Tukharistan,Afghanistan and BaluchistaN. It means the land of the Paks - the spiritually pure and clean. It symbolizes the religious beliefs and the ethnical stocks of our people; and it stands for all the territorial constituents of our original Fatherland. It has no other origin and no other meaning; and it does not admit of any other interpretation."

I lived in Australia for nearly 20 years and some of the many “names” I was called was Jock, Sweaty Sock, Haggis, Blondie Pommy amongst many others. I never took offence to any of them and certainly never felt bullied by them. Water of a ducks back for me. 

I P Knightley
28 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

Obviously anyone can, will and could be offended by any name you call them and obviously the intent in which it’s used. 

I was intrigued in the origin of the term ****** and googled the name Pakistan. Here’s what I found. 

PAKISTAN: "THE LAND OF THE PURE"

The originator of the word PAKISTAN, Chowdhry Rehmat Ali wrote of his concepts, 
" 'Pakistan' is both a Persian and an Urdu word. It is composed of letters taken from the names of all our homelands- 'Indian' and 'Asian', that is Punjab, Afghania (North- West Frontier Province), Kashmir, Iran, Sindh (including Kachch and Kathiawar), Tukharistan,Afghanistan and BaluchistaN. It means the land of the Paks - the spiritually pure and clean. It symbolizes the religious beliefs and the ethnical stocks of our people; and it stands for all the territorial constituents of our original Fatherland. It has no other origin and no other meaning; and it does not admit of any other interpretation."

I lived in Australia for nearly 20 years and some of the many “names” I was called was Jock, Sweaty Sock, Haggis, Blondie Pommy amongst many others. I never took offence to any of them and certainly never felt bullied by them. Water of a ducks back for me. 

I'm going to call BS on that derivation of the word Pakistan (and wait to be put right). I think you're looking at what's called a Backronym, where someone elaborately gets an acronym to fit an existing word.

Given the number of "Stans" kicking around the place (Kazakh, Turkmeni, Tajiki, Afghani, Uzbeki, Kyrgyz...), you'd imagine that the Stan has a meaning of its own. I could be wrong, though.

Do we really need to go into the false equating of Scots being called Jocks with Pakistani folk being called P**i? Such a weak and ill-informed argument.

4 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

I'm going to call BS on that derivation of the word Pakistan (and wait to be put right). I think you're looking at what's called a Backronym, where someone elaborately gets an acronym to fit an existing word.

Given the number of "Stans" kicking around the place (Kazakh, Turkmeni, Tajiki, Afghani, Uzbeki, Kyrgyz...), you'd imagine that the Stan has a meaning of its own. I could be wrong, though.

Do we really need to go into the false equating of Scots being called Jocks with Pakistani folk being called P**i? Such a weak and ill-informed argument.

I just looked up the root word for Pakistan and that is what I found. Right or wrong🤷🏻‍♂️
I have no qualifications to argue it.

My first sentence in my post, says anyone can be take offence to what ever name or word you call them. It’s not weak or I’ll-informed it’s a fact. 

10 hours ago, jonesy said:

Reasonable to expect that racial slurs are not used as banter in a so-called professional environment.

I often wonder what the hoped-for outcome in these situations is, from the victim's perspective. Do they genuinely want to see folk resigning, losing jobs and suffering, or do they want to see a genuine apology, learning and understanding. Not that they shouldn't expose such behaviours - more that, as a society, we should discuss what we expect the fall out to be.

I see you're at it again. 🙄