***Official Heart of Midlothian vs Dundee Match Thread***

CloustonHMFC

1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

Good point. We must at times be prepared to accept a 1-0 ground out win against teams like Dundee, even at home, as a good result instead of whining about not "putting teams away" or giving them a hiding. The OF do it all the time.

That the problem isn’t it? I reckon there would be a fraction of the posts on here if Hearts had managed to grind out a 1-0 result! 🤨

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• Cruyff

• Morgan

• Pasquale for King

south morocco
29 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Nah just pointing out that assuming we've made big strides may be flawed, and there isn't a massive difference between Scottish clubs at the moment. 5 wins and 5 draws is no better than DUFC's 6 wins, 2 draws and 3 losses...

That’s your opinion, fair enough. From our relegation or vote to be demoted etc, I’d  say we’ve made big strides. To be of the league and unbeaten, I can hardly  believe it myself and I’m not a big Robbie fan.  Today was disappointing, that was my point in showing how far we’ve come

2 hours ago, Tazio said:

People did notice that Dundee played the entire first half with ten men behind the ball? Even Griffiths was moaning at the Dundee bench about it and the fact nobody came within twenty yard of him. At one point when we were attacking they actually had everyone apart from Griffiths in their box. 

I counted 6 at the back for most of the game, first half definitely. At times I think they had more than 6 at the back.

28 minutes ago, benny said:

Up to Jamie to produce the goods.

An on form Jamie is a huge asset.Shame we have not seen it recently.

I would play him before Ginnelly and Gnandull.

Gnanduillet needs emptied, waste of a jersey most days. Ginelly seems to have seriously dropped in form but I'm honestly wondering if it's just because we've improved so much in other areas since last season.

We need to get more out the 3 up top. All the nice football is played from back to middle/out wide. We seem to struggle to get boyce and the two ‘10s’ into the game. The 3 up top are the creative players who we need on the ball to make things happen, I don’t know if it’s a case of them doing more to get on the ball or us doing more to get the ball to them??… bit of both? 

I think today highlighted how we need better in the wide areas. There was so much space for Cochrane and smith that if we had a McKay or Ginnelly out there then I think we could have caused them more problems. It would have meant them getting the ball with space ahead for them to drive into rather than getting the ball to feet and trying to play in tight spaces. Didn’t help that smith had an off day and it highlighted how someone more attacking there could have maybe helped in a game like today. 

few negatives but we would have taken the position we are in at the start of the season. We just lack that cutting edge in the final third which stops us from winning these kind of games and why we have drawn winnable games. 

A slight freshen up for Wednesday? The team and formation has got us to where we are. There will be more space for us to play on Wednesday as st Johnstone cannot be as defensive as Dundee were today which will hopefully suit us. 

23 minutes ago, 5jambo1 said:

We need to get more out the 3 up top. All the nice football is played from back to middle/out wide. We seem to struggle to get boyce and the two ‘10s’ into the game. The 3 up top are the creative players who we need on the ball to make things happen, I don’t know if it’s a case of them doing more to get on the ball or us doing more to get the ball to them??… bit of both? 

I think today highlighted how we need better in the wide areas. There was so much space for Cochrane and smith that if we had a McKay or Ginnelly out there then I think we could have caused them more problems. It would have meant them getting the ball with space ahead for them to drive into rather than getting the ball to feet and trying to play in tight spaces. Didn’t help that smith had an off day and it highlighted how someone more attacking there could have maybe helped in a game like today. 

few negatives but we would have taken the position we are in at the start of the season. We just lack that cutting edge in the final third which stops us from winning these kind of games and why we have drawn winnable games. 

A slight freshen up for Wednesday? The team and formation has got us to where we are. There will be more space for us to play on Wednesday as st Johnstone cannot be as defensive as Dundee were today which will hopefully suit us. 

Basically we are what our results suggest, difficult to beat but not overly dangerous.

Was not there today (season ticket holder) but watched it on a steam, thought we where good in patches but an  absolutely shit result, never ever thought I would be disappointed in going top of the league but not  winning home against that pile of shite  made me feel fuming… and still is 😡  

29 minutes ago, 5jambo1 said:

Our wide players either made the wrong run or the full backs didn’t play it when they should have. I thought Cochrane was good today mind you and it wasn’t so much on his side. 

I thought Smith had the blinkers on today or lost a bit courage in playing quicker balls, more so again in the 2nd half.  He’d been excellent in the previous 2 home matches, much sharper in mind and body. 

The progression required of a team is more exposed when asked questions yourself. We suddenly looked lost for ideas at 1-1.  No probing from midfield, too slow moving the ball or seeing the little pockets players moved into. 

Hardly a maroon jersey in the box at crosses late on.  That can all be borne out of the system and mindset you are honed on though.  Devlin and Beni are superb but in truth their excellence lies in defending and moving the ball on. We had to be brave and change one for a more attack minded mid. 

3 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Our wide players either made the wrong run or the full backs didn’t play it when they should have. I thought Cochrane was good today mind you and it wasn’t so much on his side. 

I thought Smith had the blinkers on today or lost a bit courage in playing quicker balls, more so again in the 2nd half.  He’d been excellent in the previous 2 home matches, much sharper in mind and body. 

The progression required of a team is more exposed when asked questions yourself. We suddenly looked lost for ideas at 1-1.  No probing from midfield, too slow moving the ball or seeing the little pockets players moved into. 

Hardly a maroon jersey in the box at crosses late on.  That can all be borne out of the system and mindset you are honed on though.  Devlin and Beni are superb but in truth their excellence lies in defending and moving the ball on. We had to be brave and change one for a more attack minded mid. 

Thats why McEneff should get a chance as can get us goals from midfield.

I think our forward line is to much of a likewise= GMS,  Ginnelly , McKay ? personally Gnando is not good enough for HMFC.  we all have our opinions tho.

The first two substitutions totally ruined the flow of the game for us but also showed us that Gnando and GMS are no match for Boyce and Woodburn. For all Robbie has spoken about the strength of our bench we could certainly do with a better alternative to Boyce and another playmaker. All in all a very frustrating day. Dundee are a horrible team to play against 

August Landmesser

We've drawn some games that we should've won because we lack a cutting edge (Hibs, Ross County, Huns, Dundee) but we've also drawn some games we previously would've lost (Hibs, Huns, Aberdeen), and won some games we would've lost or drawn (Celtic, St Mirren, Utd) because we have a goalkeeper.

All in all, on balance, we're doing fine. 'mon the JTs!

1 hour ago, benny said:

Up to Jamie to produce the goods.

An on form Jamie is a huge asset.Shame we have not seen it recently.

I would play him before Ginnelly and Gnandull.

I think it’s time for Walker to get the nod. Robbie was talking about the need for him and the McEneff to be patient.

If not now, when?

Neither Gino or Gnando offered anything. Walker despite not really having legs anymore has a goalscorers instinct. He’s basically in last chance saloon to save his Hearts career. So would like to see him give a chance next week.

Fucckin, rotten. Our worst result of the season. But, we're still unbeaten.  Still fields like a loss..

2 minutes ago, OTT said:

I think it’s time for Walker to get the nod

Nuthin' wrong with Jamie that a good run in the team wouldn't sort. Except that he's got some formidable competition in midfield. He's a good back up. I like Jamie.

7 minutes ago, whodanny said:

Fucckin, rotten. Our worst result of the season. But, we're still unbeaten.  Still fields like a loss..

Yip it’s how people feeling mate 

The disappointment I felt at full time today was quite intense. The result is still bugging me now as I write this post. 

The second half today was such a let down. The game was in many ways a carbon copy of last week's match at Ibrox, with us taking on the role of Rangers and Dundee being Hearts. We totally controlled the first half and went in at HT 1-0 up thanks to a beautifully executed goal. In the second half the performance level dropped, we hit the post, could not get the killer second goal, and conceded a bad goal near the end to drop two points. Like I said, it was a carbon copy of last week's game. Swings and roundabouts I suppose.

It's a funny thing with football. If you watch it long enough, you can feel it in the pit of your stomach when something bad is going to happen to your team. In the moments leading up to Dundee's equaliser I just knew they were going to score. It's still a kick in the plums when it happens right enough. After they equalised I knew a draw was the best we were going to get.

I feel like saying 'maybe today just wasn't our day' or something along those lines. But no. Being honest, we didn't really hit the heights today that we have been doing this season. Beni had his worst game in a Hearts jersey(still wasn't terrible but it was his worst game) and none of the front three who started the match really did much of anything. We dominated possession but it just didn't feel like the spark going forward was quite there today. I suppose we have to be realistic about the level we are at and accept that there will be days like these. We can't play well every week. 

Still. A bitterly disappointing result in the end. Hopefully we can get back to winning ways in midweek. Five draws in ten matches is a few too many. We need to try and convert a few of these draws into wins if we want to keep the momentum going that we have worked so hard to build up. 

1 minute ago, whodanny said:

Nuthin' wrong with Jamie that a good run in the team wouldn't sort. Except that he's got some formidable competition in midfield. He's a good back up. I like Jamie.

We can adjust formation or hand Walker a free role within the formation so he can move about a bit more when he comes on. 

(I’m not saying start him).

5 minutes ago, OTT said:

We can adjust formation or hand Walker a free role within the formation so he can move about a bit more when he comes on. 

(I’m not saying start him).

I guess I forgot to mention, he needs to get in the squad first. But he is a solid back up in my opinion. And I  think he is a Jambo, who wants to do his best for the club.

Edited by whodanny

In my opinion Walker is a good player but not good enough going forward for us he is in the past now as far as I’m concerned ,  Gnando for me is a no no I gave him a chance but We need to be better and stop being  sentimental about players.

13 hours ago, jambopilms said:

Is there a bigger prick in football than Charlie Adam.

Scott Brown and Allan McGregor spring to mind. But Neil Doncaster may be number 1 on the prickometer.

13 hours ago, redjambo said:

The sad reality is that it is results like these that allow Celtic and Rangers to push on ahead.

But they are not ahead.

9 hours ago, One five said:

In my opinion Walker is a good player but not good enough going forward for us he is in the past now as far as I’m concerned ,  Gnando for me is a no no I gave him a chance but We need to be better and stop being  sentimental about players.

Never mind  moving forward we’re trying to win football matches here and now. Jamie is a goalscorer, not many going about 

Horatio Caine
9 hours ago, No Idle Talk said:

The disappointment I felt at full time today was quite intense. The result is still bugging me now as I write this post. 

The second half today was such a let down. The game was in many ways a carbon copy of last week's match at Ibrox, with us taking on the role of Rangers and Dundee being Hearts. We totally controlled the first half and went in at HT 1-0 up thanks to a beautifully executed goal. In the second half the performance level dropped, we hit the post, could not get the killer second goal, and conceded a bad goal near the end to drop two points. Like I said, it was a carbon copy of last week's game. Swings and roundabouts I suppose.

It's a funny thing with football. If you watch it long enough, you can feel it in the pit of your stomach when something bad is going to happen to your team. In the moments leading up to Dundee's equaliser I just knew they were going to score. It's still a kick in the plums when it happens right enough. After they equalised I knew a draw was the best we were going to get.

I feel like saying 'maybe today just wasn't our day' or something along those lines. But no. Being honest, we didn't really hit the heights today that we have been doing this season. Beni had his worst game in a Hearts jersey(still wasn't terrible but it was his worst game) and none of the front three who started the match really did much of anything. We dominated possession but it just didn't feel like the spark going forward was quite there today. I suppose we have to be realistic about the level we are at and accept that there will be days like these. We can't play well every week. 

Still. A bitterly disappointing result in the end. Hopefully we can get back to winning ways in midweek. Five draws in ten matches is a few too many. We need to try and convert a few of these draws into wins if we want to keep the momentum going that we have worked so hard to build up. 

Agree 100% with this.  There should have been a two goal margin at least in this game.  Our build up play is great but when it gets into the box it's Chuckle Brothers football - `to you, to me...`.  Just go for goal!!!

Times have changed. Booing (a minority at least) when we finish the day at the top of the league.

2 ways of looking at it I guess. High standards set and expected.

Or, can nothing make us happy.

Annoying to draw. But if anyone had told me we would be in this position preseason I'd have boo'd them.

A wierd feeling of happiness (we are top of the bloody league) and dissapointment with the result.

No one can ever say being a hearts fan is dull and predictable.

Let's get behind the team as this season could be special.

Bazzas right boot
14 hours ago, Spellczech said:

Yep but the OF are playing a European game every week. We're not. They also lose players to international breaks, we don't lose many to them. We're equal on points with DUFC. We've drawn as many as we've won. We've dropped 4 points to the bottom 2. Nothing to shout about.

Pesky facts indeed...

Aye it's shite. 

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

But they are not ahead.

They will be very shortly if we keep drawing to teams like Dundee at home, ri.

Ex member of the SaS

I feel Smith gets a lot of bad press from our own fans, ( true his crossing is not always the best ) he pushes forward and see no movement ahead, and has to turn back as he gets closed down, just another symptom of not having enough in the box when we attack. In other games we have three or four in the box and this increases the chance one will connect. Having said that I still think we are too predictable and slow. Passing between the defense and then the pass to the left wing, we need to change things up a bit and even go route one now and again.

11 hours ago, Spellczech said:

Basically we are what our results suggest, difficult to beat but not overly dangerous.

This in spades.

Boyce is massively overrated and easy to snuff out. He doesn’t make runs, doesn’t trouble anyone with pace and doesn’t create much. He works hard and shows for the ball, usually with his back to goal but it’s just not enough.

Woodburn, tidy enough player but hardly what you’d describe as dangerous 

GMS unplayable on his day but those days are becoming fewer and fewer.

Ginelly and McKay. I like both but not sure you can fit them into the same team unless you play McKay up top

Food for thought in January. We don’t really need anything else except two decent front players and we need to be looking for them now.

Strange game, Dundee offered absolutely nothing and walk away with a point. For all our possession we created nothing so we didn't deserve 3pts and Dundee didn't deserve a point. 

We need a plan b, this formation is solid but we barely create, and when we get the ball into the box there's 2 at most against the oppositions back 5 or 6.

Strange game really. I presumed, like most, that DFC would be put to the sword. We were better, but failing to apply a coup de grace we were caught by a sting in the tail.

To my eye, this game needed two strikers hitting the box. Instead we had Boyce doing a link up play to nobody type game.

The left wing play was good. We have players on the left that can trap a ball and take a long pass, not much to ask from a professional, but our lack of such previously has been shown up by what we do have now. Woodburn frequently cut inside when he was on the left, too predictably perhaps, but I feel this was because there was nobody there. 

Beaningime was not his usual self, sluggish and off his man, neither of which have been features of his play before. This was made worse by the clear policy of kicking him led by Fat Charlie. However, he clearly had a right thigh issue before he left the field.  Devlin filled the gaps and was great. And appears tireless and indestructible.

We hit the woodwork twice and a second goal would have sunk Dundee.

Nando always seems to be on his heels and anticipation and chance sniffing are not his assets. If he had been on with Boyce, or Woodburn had partnered him or Boyce, we may have had a greater return from our effective left side work. 

Very frustrated at the end and, like many, I feel that this was a game that should have been won.

Pasquale for King

Don’t think anyone has mentioned what an absolutely terrible goal we lost, Halkett caught underneath it, Beni poor marking and Gordon on his heels. A truly horrific goal to lose. 

Just now, Pasquale for King said:

Don’t think anyone has mentioned what an absolutely terrible goal we lost, Halkett caught underneath it, Beni poor marking and Gordon on his heels. A truly horrific goal to lose. 

Was a shocker. How many long throws have we played and not got a sniff of a goal from them?  As you say, three **** ups rolled into one sucker punch. 

I find myself getting really frustrated with smith. He tends to slow down attacks, his crossing isn’t great and generally I just think that position could be improved. He is obviously versatile and dependable though and score given a chance so it’s a tough one

1 hour ago, redjambo said:

They will be very shortly if we keep drawing to teams like Dundee at home, ri.

I don’t think we’re serious title contenders in any case but if we were, then you’re right in saying these are the type of performances that kill you.

14 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Was a shocker. How many long throws have we played and not got a sniff of a goal from them?  As you say, three **** ups rolled into one sucker punch. 

It wasn’t like they really threatened us whatsoever, and that’s even more disappointing in terms of the type of goal that we lost. They only had a fleeting flurry in the 2nd half, which was to be expected, as they hadn’t Laid a glove on us all game 

Halkett and Beni most definitely at fault, and as much as I hate to say it, as the guy is top class, I thought that if Gordon had just came for the ball, that wouldn’t have led to anything. I know that’s probably a bit harsh, considering he is a big part of the success that we currently have 

Fozzyonthefence
19 minutes ago, Muppetboy said:

I find myself getting really frustrated with smith. He tends to slow down attacks, his crossing isn’t great and generally I just think that position could be improved. He is obviously versatile and dependable though and score given a chance so it’s a tough one

I like Smith,  good dependable right back but so frustrating as a wing back.  He gets into fantastic positions but his final ball is awful.  Just one good delivery yesterday and we win that game.  But also not his fault that we couldn’t see out the 1-0.  

Dundee were dire yesterday and looked every bit as bad as Livi a few weeks ago.  Against teams like that I’d like to see one of the wingers play as RWB.  Soutar was pretty much playing right back for a lot of the game anyway.

Edited by Fozzyonthefence

Fozzyonthefence
5 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

It wasn’t like they really threatened us whatsoever, and that’s even more disappointing in terms of the type of goal that we lost. They only had a fleeting flurry in the 2nd half, which was to be expected, as they hadn’t Laid a glove on us all game 

Halkett and Beni most definitely at fault, and as much as I hate to say it, as the guy is top class, I thought that if Gordon had just came for the ball, that wouldn’t have led to anything. I know that’s probably a bit harsh, considering he is a big part of the success that we currently have 

I haven’t seen it on tv, only from back row of Gorgie stand, but seemed a bit harsh to blame Gordon for that.  Having said that it’s always been an area of his game he could improve on (he’s pretty solid with cross balls but, given his height, he doesn’t come off his line as often as he should).  His kicking seems to have improved these days and played a couple of good passes out yesterday,  one even on his right foot.  

3 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

I haven’t seen it on tv, only from back row of Gorgie stand, but seemed a bit harsh to blame Gordon for that.  Having said that it’s always been an area of his game he could improve on (he’s pretty solid with cross balls but, given his height, he doesn’t come off his line as often as he should).  His kicking seems to have improved these days and played a couple of good passes out yesterday,  one even on his right foot.  

Don’t get me wrong. I did say I felt bad for even saying it and it might be a tad harsh, I just thought if he had came for it, Cummings wouldn’t have even got his head on it. 

Easy to criticise. We are very very lucky to have big Craig

See a lot of folk saying we were shit or it was brutal yesterday. We completely controlled the game and played some nice stuff. The only issue I have is we never raised the tempo. If we never conceded that shitty goal from a long throw then yesterday would’ve been described as a professional dominant performance.

If we play like that most weeks then we’ll get 3 points more often than not. We are just going to have to get used to teams coming to Tynecastle and parking the bus, hoping for a smash and grab like yesterday. It’s similar to last season in the Championship but with better quality teams who are better organised. 

Also not sure if it’s been mentioned but their goal shouldn’t have stood. One of the most blatant foul throws you’ll ever see. The boys back foot was about a yard off the ground. Bet that wasn’t mentioned on sportscene. 

12 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

Don’t get me wrong. I did say I felt bad for even saying it and it might be a tad harsh, I just thought if he had came for it, Cummings wouldn’t have even got his head on it. 

Easy to criticise. We are very very lucky to have big Craig

Think we might have a few resident goalies who could correct me but I don’t think that’s ever a keepers ball.

Goalies tend not to come for long throws because of their low trajectory.  If they can’t take it at the highest point they usually stay put. This one came in about shoulder height and Craig would’ve have no advantage.

17 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Think we might have a few resident goalies who could correct me but I don’t think that’s ever a keepers ball.

Goalies tend not to come for long throws because of their low trajectory.  If they can’t take it at the highest point they usually stay put. This one came in about shoulder height and Craig would’ve have no advantage.

Fair play. Just remember thinking that at the time. Between halkett and beni that ball should have been in row Z. Done now - shit happens 👍

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

We looked totally unprepared for it, maybe having just been kicked in the head affected Gordon as he was on his heels and sideways on. Bizarre goal really, maybe they misjudged the wind. I don’t think

anyone felt comfortable at one nil. 

Coming away from the game yesterday the feeling was we have the better players, we had more chances, we got into great positions and it sticks out a mile that the final ball is as bad as it has ever been. We dominated their full backs and wasted chance after chance of setting up a goal scoring chance with a poor pass/cross or holding on to the ball too long.

Woodburn is still failing to find form which will eventually see him drop out of the starting 11. 

We hit the bar, post, and one headed off the line.

We were top having only won half our games.

Just another way to look at it.

6 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Coming away from the game yesterday the feeling was we have the better players, we had more chances, we got into great positions and it sticks out a mile that the final ball is as bad as it has ever been. We dominated their full backs and wasted chance after chance of setting up a goal scoring chance with a poor pass/cross or holding on to the ball too long.

Woodburn is still failing to find form which will eventually see him drop out of the starting 11. 

Disagree re Woodburn but everything else is spot on.

Great positions but nobody wants to make runs and work defenders, Boyce aside, everyone is hanging around the edge of box waiting for a pass so they can pass. 7 predominantly defensive minded players contributes to that imo.