Huge Test for Robbie Neilson

lost in space

32 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Unless he has the cup in the trophy room, he wouldn’t be here the following season IMO. He is out of contract anyway so costs nothing to switch and depending  on who is available, I think we’d switch. He has the best squad by a distance that we’ve had since coming out of admin. He has started very well. If he finishes 5th or lower from here that’s a fail IMO.

switch a manager who’s second in the table.

who’s just got a point against an ugly sister.

away.

after getting promoted the season before.

• Replies 798
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• JimmyCant

• Gambo

• lost in space

1 minute ago, Jim Panzee said:

switch a manager who’s second in the table.

who’s just got a point against an ugly sister.

away.

after getting promoted the season before.

I said AT THE END OF THIS SEASON, not this week Christ.

33 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Depends on what you are used to in derbies I suppose and what you’ll accept as a minimum. How would you describe it now you’ve said what it isn’t ? How far back would you have to go to find a derby record like his ?

It’s passable, average, mediocre. I’ve been going to Hearts games since the mid 80s so of course I’m used to wins and draws.  He’s had 2 losses in 8 or 9... What for you is an acceptable W/D/L for these 8/9 games then? 

9 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

The pre injury pre buggering off Webster was a great player. The one that came back to Sergios team not so much. Zal was a better defender than 2 of the 3 current incumbents and was  almost as good as Pressley at his height although Pressley was excellent for far longer than Zal was.

That’s funny, I actually thought Webby was better 2nd time around. Much more complete player and got back in the national team iirc. But if you’re saying you think Zal was better than Webby (mk2) and almost as good as Pressley it’s your opinion. Not one I’ve heard before but fair enough. 

46 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Unless he has the cup in the trophy room, he wouldn’t be here the following season IMO. He is out of contract anyway so costs nothing to switch and depending  on who is available, I think we’d switch. He has the best squad by a distance that we’ve had since coming out of admin. He has started very well. If he finishes 5th or lower from here that’s a fail IMO.

Just out of interest who would you bring in to replace him next season? 

6 minutes ago, damo said:

It’s passable, average, mediocre. I’ve been going to Hearts games since the mid 80s so of course I’m used to wins and draws.  He’s had 2 losses in 8 or 9... What for you is an acceptable W/D/L for these 8/9 games then? 

Hmmmm

4 wins, 2 draws, 2 losses and it wouldn’t be an issue I’d say

9 minutes ago, damo said:

Yeah but how many wins?

And is that what you're used to?

8 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Just out of interest who would you bring in to replace him next season? 

Ahhhh That old chestnut to which the answer is as always

1. We have far better qualified people than me at the club to find someone and

2. Depends on who is capable, available, willing AND affordable at the time we’re looking

However your looking for names to dismiss clearly so I’ll give you Naismith and Savage himself right off the top of my head. Rip away at that. You know you want to.

Edited by JimmyCant

4 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

2. Depends on who is capable, available, willing AND affordable at the time we’re looking

Fence-sitter par excellence. 

4 hours ago, frankblack said:

We don't need to listen to this constant negative drone from those who won't accept they were wrong and sit back and enjoy the football.

Is it negative to say we are doing well this season so far? 

Is it negative to say we did well in the second half and deserved the draw?

Is it negative to say we should have had a pen yesterday and 2 red cards to Rangers and Robbie was correct to have a go at ref/4th official?

Is it negative to hope that the management team/players work on a way (which they will be doing....its their job) where we can take our 2nd half performances in Glasgow and see if we can work that into the first half of these games as well, it might not work all the time but you would like to think/hope that we would like to do better in that part of the 90mins?

Only negative folk on here are the ones that don't hold RN and the team in high regard and don't think they can achieve/strive to achieve better. 

Thankfully, as most fans asked for if he was to stay on, RN is trying to achieve better and play a better brand of football (he has certainly been given the tools), it is still not there yet but it is going in right direction......I think Robbie would agree with that as well.

For the record, loved the equaliser yesterday, loving being second in the league, the football is getting better, recruitment much better, but still room for improvement.

I'll give Neilson criticism/praise when it's due imo, I will do the same for the team/individuals players, I will do the same for Savage/recruitment team.

To think there are zero negatives is just plain stupid. We are not and nowhere near the finished article.

5 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Fence-sitter par excellence. 

See my amendment done just for you 

Lets say Neilson buggers off to some piss ant club like emmm Milton Keynes Dons for example half way through the season. Who would YOU appoint ?

Edited by JimmyCant

10 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

However your looking for names to dismiss clearly so I’ll give you Naismith and Savage himself right off the top of my head. Rip away at that. You know you want to.

I wasn’t. I was just interested in who you thought could do a much better job and still be affordable and attainable. 

5 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

I wasn’t. I was just interested in who you thought could do a much better job and still be affordable and attainable. 

We’ll it’s not up to me is it. It’s up to the highly experienced people at the club who are paid handsomely to do it. At our level, just about every appointment we could make carries a risk, but in football at any level you must always ALWAYS replace a failing manager and take that risk

Edited by JimmyCant

2 minutes ago, Hmfc1965 said:

Yeah but how many wins?

And is that what you're used to?

2 wins as quoted earlier.  I’m used to Robbie winning games which is backed up by the league placings we’ve had with him

in charge. 

6 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Is it negative to say we should have had a pen yesterday and 2 red cards to Rangers and Robbie was correct to have a go at ref/4th official?

Is it negative to hope that the management team/players work on a way (which they will be doing....its their job) where we can take our 2nd half performances in Glasgow and see if we can work that into the first half of these games as well, it might not work all the time but you would like to think/hope that we would like to do better in that part of the 90mins?

Only negative folk on here are the ones that don't hold RN and the team in high regard and don't think they can achieve/strive to achieve better. 

Thankfully, as most fans asked for if he was to stay on, RN is trying to achieve better and play a better brand of football (he has certainly been given the tools), it is still not there yet but it is going in right direction......I think Robbie would agree with that as well.

For the record, loved the equaliser yesterday, loving being second in the league, the football is getting better, recruitment much better, but still room for improvement.

I'll give Neilson criticism/praise when it's due imo, I will do the same for the team/individuals players, I will do the same for Savage/recruitment team.

To think there are zero negatives is just plain stupid. We are not and nowhere near the finished article.

Gambo, sometimes you just have to accept that teams with 5-10 times your budget will actually turn it on against you and that’s difficult to deal with. It’s a bit like like Brighton away to City or Liverpool - very seldom do they get anywhere close to 50% possession, attempts at goal etc.  Add in the fact that both of the OF regard us as their biggest games outwith the OF derbies and it adds to the challenge. 
Yes we could always do better and should always be striving to do better but it’s not a simple solution. Most seasons Rangers performance yesterday would have had the game finished at 3/4-0 after 60. They didn’t and we came back to dictate last 15 mins and get an equaliser. Had there been another 10 mins to go we may even have won the game. 

2 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

We’ll it’s not up to me is it. It’s up to the highly experienced people at the club who are paid handsomely to do it. At our level, just about every appointment we could make carries a risk, but in football at any level you must always ALWAYS replace a failing manager and take that risk

So, your opinion, which you expect us to consider/agree with re Neilson, doesn’t go as far as having a view on who you would try to replace him with?   That’s where your posts lose all credibility. It’s a one way street with your criticism with no attempt to put your neck on the line with potential solutions.  Easy to be negative, tough to come up with potential solutions. 

A_A wehatethehibs

In genuinely believe he is the right manager, at the right club, at the right stage in his career, at the right time. Got enough miles under the belt and experience. Young enough to still be hungry and relevant. Intelligent enough to deal with the technical side of the modern game. Brave, fighter, relentless grafter, a strong winning mentality, and a strong coaching staff around him. A real togetherness about the place. 

It is a shame some folk don’t see it with Neilson yet and are choosing to cling on to what remains of the negativity but I believe you will see it. One by one he converts the doubters and proves them wrong

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

5 minutes ago, damo said:

2 wins as quoted earlier (not fact checked though 😬)I’m used to Robbie winning games which is backed up by the league placings we’ve had with him in charge. 

1 minute ago, soonbe110 said:

Gambo, sometimes you just have to accept that teams with 5-10 times your budget will actually turn it on against you and that’s difficult to deal with. It’s a bit like like Brighton away to City or Liverpool - very seldom do they get anywhere close to 50% possession, attempts at goal etc.  Add in the fact that both of the OF regard us as their biggest games outwith the OF derbies and it adds to the challenge. 
Yes we could always do better and should always be striving to do better but it’s not a simple solution. Most seasons Rangers performance yesterday would have had the game finished at 3/4-0 after 60. They didn’t and we came back to dictate last 15 mins and get an equaliser. Had there been another 10 mins to go we may even have won the game. 

I have to agree. There is never shame at drawing away to the OF. We defended pretty well yesterday. One little lapse by Cochrane being caught too far away from his man and we conceded to an unstoppable finish, which by the way, Gordon very nearly got to. Rangers passed us off the park for nearly an hour. They were very good for that hour. They couldn’t sustain it. They fell away dramatically and We made forward changes at exactly the right time (and kudos to Neilson for doing it) and we got a point that look unlikely for most of the game

6 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

So, your opinion, which you expect us to consider/agree with re Neilson, doesn’t go as far as having a view on who you would try to replace him with?   That’s where your posts lose all credibility. It’s a one way street with your criticism with no attempt to put your neck on the line with potential solutions.  Easy to be negative, tough to come up with potential solutions. 

Stop typing for just a minute son and read back to my amended post where I gave you two options

Edited by JimmyCant

1 minute ago, JimmyCant said:

Stop typing for just a minute son and read back to my amended post

So you think Savage would do a better job  than Nielson as manager? Does he have any coaching qualifications or experience. 
Naismith maybe in four, five years time but not now. 

1 minute ago, soonbe110 said:

So you think Savage would do a better job  than Nielson as manager? Does he have any coaching qualifications or experience. 

As predicted. You asked. I answered. You knocked it down. Did you read my bit about risk at our level at all ?

Just now, JimmyCant said:

As predicted. You asked. I answered. You knocked it down. Did you read my bit about risk at our level at all ?

Well if spout nonsense it’s guaranteed that you will be knocked down. Getting late Dad, time for your bed. 

4 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Well if spout nonsense it’s guaranteed that you will be knocked down. Getting late Dad, time for your bed. 

So no, you didn’t read my bit about risk(or you didn’t agree) and my real answer which is the correct answer on both counts is merely fence sitting. I haven’t see you post a name or two yet in answer to my question to you. I’ll wait up a while if you want ?

15 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Yes we could always do better and should always be striving to do better but it’s not a simple solution. 

I understand all that. 

Some don't want to strive to be better though it seems.

I posted about hoping the management team will look for a way to improve first half performances in Glasgow in future (it is their jobs to do that and they will). You would hope 100% of Hearts fans would hope that but as the thread proved......some got their knickers in a serious twist over that hope/wish.

Wishing we will look to do better in first 45mins is not a guarantee that we will, trying to work out a way to do that is not a guarantee either that it will happen, everyone knows that's not how football works.

We have played a lot better in the 2nd halfs of the last few games in Glasgow v OF so we can do it against these great Rangers and Celtic teams with x amount of budget more than us etc etc,  it would be good to find a way if we can of transferring some of that into first half if we can.

No one is saying that Robbie and his team are not trying to find a way, some are saying we don't need to(or this thread would be 2 or 3 pages shorter)

Weird that some don't seem to want that. 

47 minutes ago, Gambo said:

I understand all that. 

Some don't want to strive to be better though it seems.

I posted about hoping the management team will look for a way to improve first half performances in Glasgow in future (it is their jobs to do that and they will). You would hope 100% of Hearts fans would hope that but as the thread proved......some got their knickers in a serious twist over that hope/wish.

Wishing we will look to do better in first 45mins is not a guarantee that we will, trying to work out a way to do that is not a guarantee either that it will happen, everyone knows that's not how football works.

We have played a lot better in the 2nd halfs of the last few games in Glasgow v OF so we can do it against these great Rangers and Celtic teams with x amount of budget more than us etc etc,  it would be good to find a way if we can of transferring some of that into first half if we can.

No one is saying that Robbie and his team are not trying to find a way, some are saying we don't need to(or this thread would be 2 or 3 pages shorter)

Weird that some don't seem to want that. 

If anyone cares to read Sir Alex or any other biography of an Aberdeen player from the Fergie era, the answer is there and it’s simple and difficult in the same breath. Attitude attitude and more attitude. Aberdeen had some good players too let’s not forget but Not all of them were great players in their own right some were but they ALL had attitude. Their lesser known players like Rougvie McMaster Bell Harper Angus Hewitt Scanlon and a number of others consistently played above themselves because of what was ingrained into them by Fergie and it worked because they saw and felt it working.

Edited by JimmyCant

Guest ToqueJambo
18 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

If anyone cares to read Sir Alex or any other biography of an Aberdeen player from the Fergie era, the answer is there and it’s simple and difficult in the same breath. Attitude attitude and more attitude. Aberdeen had some good players too let’s not forget but Not all of them were great players in their own right some were but they ALL had attitude. Their lesser known players like Rougvie McMaster Bell Harper Angus Hewitt Scanlon and a number of others consistently played above themselves because of what was ingrained into them by Fergie and it worked because they saw and felt it working.

A quick scan of wikipedia shows even the great Fergie only beat Rangers once in Glasgow in his first 3 seasons as Aberdeen manager. Same as Neilson.

And that was when Rangers were a very long way from the force they are now in terms of the financial gulf between them and other teams.

Strangely, Fergie's team in those first 3 years were beaten by Morton SEVEN times home and away (when Morton were mostly a bottom half of table team)! Not sure Neilson would survive that kind of record against a shit team.

Looks like he was beaten by them another coupe of times the next season. Wonder what the story is behind why Fergie just couldn't beat Morton. Maybe our resident Aberdeen fan could explain it.

Edited by ToqueJambo

August Landmesser
11 hours ago, ramrod said:

The problem is a soon as we have an off day and lose the usual ****wits will be out and about and Robbie will be back to square one on here. That's the problem and it's never going away .

I remember a guy in the seat next to me at the Falkirk loss in the 14/15 Championship season, at FT after a ripsnorting match, good fun, and us still 7 or 8 points clear at the top; 'That's shite Hearts, ffs, I'll not be back, pish!!!, Booooo'

There are some miseries out there, I'm trying to learn to rise above them

Fozzyonthefence
1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

What coaching experience did Neilson have when he got the job first time?  Or double cup winner, Callum Davidson?  Is that a prerequisite for appointing a manager these days?

29 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

A quick scan of wikipedia shows even the great Fergie only beat Rangers once in Glasgow in his first 3 seasons as Aberdeen manager. Same as Neilson.

And that was when Rangers were a very long way from the force they are now in terms of the financial gulf between them and other teams.

Strangely, Fergie's team in those first 3 years were beaten by Morton SEVEN times home and away (when Morton were mostly a bottom half of table team)! Not sure Neilson would survive that kind of record against a shit team.

Looks like he was beaten by them another coupe of times the next season. Wonder what the story is behind why Fergie just couldn't beat Morton. Maybe our resident Aberdeen fan could explain it.

He regularly won in Glasgow from 81-82 onwards, more so at Celtic Park right enough. Funny thing the Morton bogey though. We’ve got a few teams like that unfortunately. Sick to death of going to Perth and putting in horror shows for starters. Dens park used to be another place even our half decent teams got skelped regularly. Christ even Hibs owned us in the 70’s

1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

1. yes

2. don’t know, quite possibly none

3. in 4 or 5 years he’ll probably  be managing a bigger club than Hearts.

Edited by JimmyCant

Worthing Jambo
2 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Very good summation 👍

Worthing Jambo
2 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

In genuinely believe he is the right manager, at the right club, at the right stage in his career, at the right time. Got enough miles under the belt and experience. Young enough to still be hungry and relevant. Intelligent enough to deal with the technical side of the modern game. Brave, fighter, relentless grafter, a strong winning mentality, and a strong coaching staff around him. A real togetherness about the place. 

It is a shame some folk don’t see it with Neilson yet and are choosing to cling on to what remains of the negativity but I believe you will see it. One by one he converts the doubters and proves them wrong

I think Robbie is learning all the time and he now has a good back room team around him, as well as a good squad.

I also don’t think the pressure is a bad thing as he is determined to succeed as a result.

It all seems to be falling into place, so who knows, let’s just enjoy it👍

3 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Harper? JOE Harper? Played consistently above himself under Ferguson's management? Well there's your credibility gone for a burton in a oner!

Out with a cup win to change opinions , I don't think he will be accepted by some fans as manager ( not sure of %) .  I was disappointed in the first half performance , however we did look much better in the second half, playing against  a very good team ( In Scotland)

5 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

3 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

1. yes

2. don’t know, quite possibly none

3. in 4 or 5 years he’ll probably  be managing a bigger club than Hearts.

giphy.gif?cid=82a1493bpcul1kzh005fpwq2wz

WTF???  This is the type of nonsense we are up against.

Seriously this guy thinks Joe Savage can be a better coach than Neilson.  No coaching qualifications, management or playing experience at any level I'm aware of, and most probably no interest either as his role is completely different.

i wish jj was my dad
8 hours ago, Wee Mikey said:

By Jove, the perennially miserable naysayers are having a difficult season thus far. Deluded to the point that they must honestly think that their negative nonsense, back-handed compliments and transparent agenda(s) carry weight in the real world. Pathetic. As for their previous confident predictions of a relegation battle, and so on and so forth? Their chrystal balls should be returned as faulty goods.

Methinks that if they got the chance then they'd sneak into Tynecastle and literally shift the goalposts.

A bunch of interloping Hobos couldn't do a better job of shit-stirring. It must be terrible being driven by bitterness and feeling compelled to perform mental gymnastics simply to maintain a grasp on some longed for ambition to one day, one day be able to say, "I was right all along".

Splendid post. It really is depressing to see Hearts 'supporters' so desperate for a good Jambo to fail just so they can be proved right. 

We might not sustain this run and we will inevitably lose so they will no doubt get their chance to wade in and criticise but for the moment they should at least pretend to be enjoying the run. 

8 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Hope you went to bed too, you’ve had an absolute mare in this thread

9 hours ago, Gambo said:

Good post Gambo. Watching at Ibrox, I thought he should have replaced Woodburn with Haring after 20 mins as we were being over-run in the middle third so that is being critical BUT he didn’t and got a fantastic result away to the best team in Scotland over the past 2 years nearly so he gets my praise. 

Someone asked above what coaching experience Neilson had when he was made head coach, he was out under 20s manager. And we promoted within the club. 

14 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

Someone asked above what coaching experience Neilson had when he was made head coach, he was out under 20s manager. And we promoted within the club. 

Its absolutely batshit mental that some think a guy who does a business management role and has no indication of any interest in coaching would suddenly want to be our head coach, and more to the point would instantly be a success.

The same crackpots were slating us for Levein giving himself the manager's role while DOF.  At least Levein had a coaching track record.

:wtf:

8 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

What coaching experience did Neilson have when he got the job first time?  Or double cup winner, Callum Davidson?  Is that a prerequisite for appointing a manager these days?

Neilson had more than Savage has for sure. Still had a bit more than Naismith currently has.  Ans he had a DoF who was effective at the time. And yes, for a team at Hearts level, hiring a manager with no previous coaching experience would be an enormous risk. 

Brick Tamland
20 hours ago, Bull's-eye said:

It's apparent there are a few on here that just have no idea about enjoying football, they don't go to be entertained.

I suspect they're exactly the same about everything, nothing is good enough, will never be good enough.

I have no doubt we all know a few people or have worked with people that don't have a good word to say about anything or anybody.

There's a few of them on here who will never ever be satisfied about anything.

A bit sad really.

Nailed it. 
I’m loving watching us this season, unbeaten in the league and playing some great football. Yet you get the same roasters,  whose football knowledge comes from watching someone play subbuteo for 5 minutes, coming on here moaning their tits off and trying to derail threads. 
There is nothing Hearts can do that would make them happy. 

We’ve just got a rare point at ibrox. We’re almost a quarter of the way into the season, unbeaten, 2nd place, a point behind Rangers & played both the OF, taking 4 points off them with last minute goals in both games.
We’re 3 clear of Celtic, 4 clear of Hibs, 10 clear of St Johnstone & 11 clear of Aberdeen.
We‘ve scored the same & actually have a better GD than a Rangers side that destroyed everyone last season & will no doubt win the league again.

We’ve got a settled team & formation that lets us play good passing football (most games) & for the first time in years the players we brought in are all genuinely likeable characters who add something to the team.

I wanted Robbie out last season after Brora as well, it was knee jerk but at the time it seemed like the only option to move us forward. Fair play to him he’s put that behind him, changed his tactics & the team shape up, identified weak links & we’re night & day from last season now. 

What else do we need to do before the most vehement anti Robbie posters realise that not only is he the man to take us forward, arguably he’s already taken us forward?

11 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

I said AT THE END OF THIS SEASON, not this week Christ.

apols. I missed that in your post.

as for punting nielsen at the end of the season, we'd have to have another Levein-like implosion from 2018 to finish the season badly - the only way I see that happening is another chronic run of serious injuries.

as things stand, there's no evidence to suggest we'll run out of steam and finish the season poorly.

17 minutes ago, boag1874 said:

We’ve just got a rare point at ibrox. We’re almost a quarter of the way into the season, unbeaten, 2nd place, a point behind Rangers & played both the OF, taking 4 points off them with last minute goals in both games.
We’re 3 clear of Celtic, 4 clear of Hibs, 10 clear of St Johnstone & 11 clear of Aberdeen.
We‘ve scored the same & actually have a better GD than a Rangers side that destroyed everyone last season & will no doubt win the league again.

We’ve got a settled team & formation that lets us play good passing football (most games) & for the first time in years the players we brought in are all genuinely likeable characters who add something to the team.

I wanted Robbie out last season after Brora as well, it was knee jerk but at the time it seemed like the only option to move us forward. Fair play to him he’s put that behind him, changed his tactics & the team shape up, identified weak links & we’re night & day from last season now. 

What else do we need to do before the most vehement anti Robbie posters realise that not only is he the man to take us forward, arguably he’s already taken us forward?

I wanted him gone last season as well. Even though it is early in the season I don't think there is any argument, he has already taken us forward. Look at where we were when he took over. 

13 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

You presume wrong. Sergio managed a squad who didn’t get paid most months, In an environment that was toxic. It was remarkable that got anywhere near a cup final. A far superior squad ? Take Skacel out of that team and it’s not as good man for man as the current squad IMO. Skacel  and Zal are the only two who would get in the current team, again IMO. Skacel was a once in a lifetime player who carried that team. Paulo Sergio was probably the best manager of the Romanov era outwith Burley and I’d have kept him on even if he hadn’t won the cup

If RN finishes 5th or below with this squad after this start, he’ll be correctly sacked. (he is out of contract anyway as far as I know) My opinion won’t matter, neither will yours.

Neilson signed a 3 year contract that runs until the end of 2022-23 season.

Given the stated target at the start of the season was top 6 (which wasn't a target I approved of, but might sensibly be thought of as minimal acceptable standard this season), I think it is unlikely he'll be sacked purely for coming 5th. If we come 5th, are a long way off 4th, haven't won a game in the second half of the season, haven't had an injury crisis, and go out the cup to a lower league team, he might well be sacked. I think context will be important. For example to my mind, finishing 4th 20points behind 3rd would be a worse finish than finish 5th 2points behind 3rd, as it would suggest a larger gap between where we are and where we want to be.