Huge Test for Robbie Neilson

lost in space

Thought we tried to play football and didn’t resort to hoofball nor alter the 343 formation going into the game.

Robbie then changed it and the last 20 mins Rangers couldn’t contain us like they did for much of the game. Gino and Gnando were game changers and pushed a tiring Rangers. It worked and credit to Robbie. 

• Replies 798
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• JimmyCant

• Gambo

• lost in space

All the we need to have a go straight from the start crew.

Do any of them have any examples of when this has worked ?

Do any of them have even a semblance of insight as to what that plan would be.

Maybe Robbie could have phoned Gerrard during the week said we are going to have a real go I know you are unbeaten in 18 months at home and  usually plan meticulously how to utilise your high quality internationalists but would you mind not having a plan and letting us knock it about for a while at the start.

Pasquale for King
46 minutes ago, WageThief said:

What teams challenged us from the start last season? 

The start of games at home? QoS, Raith, even Alloa had a decent spell in the first half against us off the top of my head. 

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, GinRummy said:

I think the refereeing decisions at Ibrox have been so biased for so long that it’s barely a talking point in the media any more. It’s almost accepted as just the way it is. More managers need to speak out and criticise like RN did. 

Definitely. 

lost in space

Since it is now the day after "his test" - its time for some sober reflection. That will be a change from last night - where it looks as though much champagne (and probably mind-altering drugs) were consumed.

Well done Robbie Neilson and the team - for the fight back and result.

BUT (come on, you knew there was going to be a "but") when you look at the stats for shots (27/5), I think it is fair to say we rode our luck.  

"You need luck in Glasgow" some would say.

"They have better players than us" some would say.

"Home advantage is massive with the crowd behind them" - we all agree.

So, should we all get behind Robbie Neilson now?  I would say that he certainly deserves to be our manager and hope he has the success that means he will be with us for years to come.

I liked his comment that after getting a point in Glasgow, you have to win the next game and the next etc

However, we start too many games where we are not on the "front foot" (Motherwell apart) and that annoys me and others.  I hope he can improve on this.

Very few managers in the country or even the world have all of the clubs fans behind the manager and it is unreasonable to think that everybody will fully support him.

This thread will now die naturally - as the game/test is now over. Did he pass? - probably, 

I PROMISE NOT TO START ANOTHER ROBBIE NEILSON THREAD..........well not until the Scottish cup.

"Huge cup test for Robbie Neilson" has a nice ring to it, dont you think??????????

1 minute ago, lost in space said:

Since it is now the day after "his test" - its time for some sober reflection. That will be a change from last night - where it looks as though much champagne (and probably mind-altering drugs) were consumed.

BUT (come on, you knew there was going to be a "but") when you look at the stats for shots (27/5), I think it is fair to say we rode our luck.  

So, should we all get behind Robbie Neilson now?  I would say that he certainly deserves to be our manager and hope he has the success that means he will be with us for years to come.

I liked his comment that after getting a point in Glasgow, you have to win the next game and the next etc

However, we start too many games where we are not on the "front foot" (Motherwell apart) and that annoys me and others.  I hope he can improve on this.

Very few managers in the country or even the world have all of the clubs fans behind the manager and it is unreasonable to think that everybody will fully support him.

This thread will now die naturally - as the game/test is now over. Did he pass? - probably, 

I PROMISE NOT TO START ANOTHER ROBBIE NEILSON THREAD..........well not until the Scottish cup.

"Huge cup test for Robbie Neilson" has a nice ring to it, dont you think??????????

Check out the ego on you! 

:rofl: 

lost in space
Just now, Des Lynam said:

Check out the ego on you! 

:rofl: 

Well, I did start the thread and if I didnt give me assessment - I would be accused of hiding by Robbies fan club - so I cant win.

I am sorry - you havnt used a big enough font size for my EGO. Thats a better size for it.

If you dont have an ego, you arnt going to be on a forum, giving your opinion, are you?

6 minutes ago, lost in space said:

'

Its a huge test for Hearts.

All this "ah but is he good enough for this?" needs to stop.

Robbie passed his audition, he's earned the right to a bit of respect and support as Hearts manager 

13 minutes ago, Smithee said:

'

Robbie passed his audition, he's earned the right to a bit of respect and support as Hearts manager 

Agreed.  Its time for those Neilson haters to admit they were wrong and draw a line under it.

I see posts in the previous pages now trying to set another test that he "must pass" at Parkhead next time we go there.  Its tiresome and utterly desperate and now its time to end this nonsense.

Yesterday was more of a test for the team that Robbie in my opinion.  It was the perfect opportunity to see how far we have developed.  

My fear going into the game was that the team wouldn’t yet have the confidence to compete in Glasgow.  I thought that if they did well yesterday then it was another step forward in confidence and that would be carried on to games through there later in the season.

I think they passed the test and it will only make us stronger.

First half Rangers played well, probably their best performance for a while, we dug in though and kept trying to play football.  For large spells of the second half I thought we were the better team, we created good chances and deserved the draw.

I think yesterday’s result will give this group of players even more belief in themselves.  I believe we”ll be a better team for it.  

onwards and upwards

Edited by Getintaethem

1 minute ago, Getintaethem said:

Yesterday was more of a test for the team that Robbie in my opinion.

Exactly.

Robbie's feet are under the table, he's clearly shown that he's got it in him. He needs a free run at being manager with the Hearts support getting 100% behind him and the club.

The tests to come are tests for Hearts, Robbie passed his tests.

11 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

You realise the contradiction you’ve typed there? 
We shouldn’t expect to compete with bigger teams but smaller teams can compete with us? 
Goes both ways really. 
Any smaller team can compete with bigger teams, happens all the time. We did it today after an hour, we won’t always be within touching distance though if we don’t compete better in the first half. 

Think it might have been you who missed the irony on the post.

He’s saying that there are certain posters with the opinion that we should be dominating the whole 90 mins at home against the teams with inferior budgets to us, but who also want us to win the first half / compete / have better shots and possession stats over the whole 90 mins away to the old firm who have 10 times our budget.

There’s a bit of an issue when trying to analogise those two points. 

Edited by Ted Hastings

It's apparent there are a few on here that just have no idea about enjoying football, they don't go to be entertained.

I suspect they're exactly the same about everything, nothing is good enough, will never be good enough.

I have no doubt we all know a few people or have worked with people that don't have a good word to say about anything or anybody.

There's a few of them on here who will never ever be satisfied about anything.

A bit sad really.

i wish jj was my dad
26 minutes ago, Smithee said:

'

Yip. His record against the bad guys is as good as any of his predecessors and other than the odd exceptional season 85/86, 97-98 and 05/06 we are playing as well as I can remember. Just get behind the guy and see how far he can take us. 

The substitutions improved us yesterday which is a good sign.

All 3 looked hungry to contribute and impress.

Shows Robbie has built good foundations throughout the squad.

Pasquale for King
8 minutes ago, Ted Hastings said:

Think it might have been you who missed the irony on the post.

He’s saying that there are certain posters with the opinion that we should be dominating the whole 90 mins at home against the teams with inferior budgets to us, but who also want us to win the first half / compete / have better shots and possession stats over the whole 90 mins away to the old firm who have 10 times our budget.

There’s a bit of an issue when trying to analogise those two points. 

I did say you can’t have it both ways, every team has spells in games, as last season showed us. 
My problem is with folk that think we can’t compete with the uglies in Glasgow from the beginning of the game, as the multitude of evidence shows that not to be the case. 
The SD and the manager want us to go there and win, and to compete for the title. Some of our fans don’t seem to share their ambition. 

Pasquale for King
51 minutes ago, lost in space said:

Fair enough 👍🏽👏🏾

complete control
20 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I was desperate for him to leave after Brora. Still think that's justified. However, glad he's proving me and thousands of others wrong with this great start to 2021/22.

The long, drawn-out agenda type folk on here (both for and against managers/players/owners) will always find things to pick away at, but let's just enjoy our results and position for the time being. :) 

likewise 👍

17 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I was desperate for him to leave after Brora. Still think that's justified. However, glad he's proving me and thousands of others wrong with this great start to 2021/22.

The long, drawn-out agenda type folk on here (both for and against managers/players/owners) will always find things to pick away at, but let's just enjoy our results and position for the time being. :) 

Same here - I said I'd happily have given him his jotters on that bus home from Brora.  However, that didn't happen and we recovered to get promotion so I gave him a shot to prove himself, which I believe he has now done.

We are showing the same solidity in the league we had in his first spell and splitting the Old Firm in the middle of October.  Not bad for a newly promoted team.

7 minutes ago, ramrod said:

The substitutions improved us yesterday which is a good sign.

All 3 looked hungry to contribute and impress.

Shows Robbie has built good foundations throughout the squad.

Plus all 3 substitutions were positive ones with us looking to push on and get a result out of the game.

Good signs as to our intentions away from home in Glasgow. 

Edited by Ted Hastings

6 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I did say you can’t have it both ways, every team has spells in games, as last season showed us. 
My problem is with folk that think we can’t compete with the uglies in Glasgow from the beginning of the game, as the multitude of evidence shows that not to be the case. 
The SD and the manager want us to go there and win, and to compete for the title. Some of our fans don’t seem to share their ambition. 

Thought we started fairly brightly, rangers were just very good first half with an aggressive press.

Think the result is always more important than the performance when it comes to Easter road, parkhead and ibrox.

I don’t see how any hearts fan can argue that a point away at ibrox isn’t a good result?

4 minutes ago, Savage Vince said:

Dundee and Raith Rovers. 

Did we play well in those games like Rangers did in the first half yesterday?

Just now, WageThief said:

We did play better when teams opened up yes, however there were a couple of bad performances/results. 

The reason Rangers played better than us in the first 65 minutes was because they have good players, play a good system and were at home, in front of a noisy support. They're probably a wee bit better than us too, what with them being champions and all that. 

1 minute ago, WageThief said:

Do the two 4-0 wins away to Raith count? Or the 6-2 home win against Dundee count?

Bad result against Dundee at Dens but a 2-1 home win against them later.

Dundee won a playoff against Killie so that does show that the league was stronger than people here are giving credit for.

8 minutes ago, Ted Hastings said:

Thought we started fairly brightly, rangers were just very good first half with an aggressive press.

Think the result is always more important than the performance when it comes to Easter road, parkhead and ibrox.

I don’t see how any hearts fan can argue that a point away at ibrox isn’t a good result?

They're just arguing with themselves really. Most of them can't handle Robbie doing well and taking points from the Ugly Sisters whilst mounting a title challenge. 

12 minutes ago, Ted Hastings said:

4 out of 6 from the OF is surely enough to meet all but the radgest expectations

1 minute ago, Savage Vince said:

They're just arguing with themselves really. Most of them can't handle Robbie doing well and taking points from the Ugly Sisters whilst mounting a title challenge. 

You should have seen the state of them on the Hearts vs Sunderland bounce game defeat.  :rofl:

4 minutes ago, Smithee said:

4 out of 6 from the OF is surely enough to meet all but the radgest expectations

You would certainly think so. 

Pasquale for King
16 minutes ago, Ted Hastings said:

I certainly haven’t, considering they played well I’m happy with the last half hour and point. 
It’s more that we can always give them at least a goal of a start and hope to recover, if we have ambitions of winning these games. 
Results are important, wins more than draws. 

43 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Likewise, he is ‘passing’ the test with ease at the moment. I would personally have changed Woodburn for Haring after 20 mins yesterday but 

RN generally deserves lots of praise (and JS) for us being where we are. 

Pasquale for King
18 minutes ago, WageThief said:

No because the teams competed and most importantly kept the ball, which we didn’t do yesterday. That’s the point. Quite a few folk have said there’s two teams in a game, the other team don’t let you just do what you want, we did in that first half yesterday. 

Only Hearts fans could question a manager that has us 1 point off the top and unbeaten the season after promotion.

For managers its a results business. Robbie is getting results. I'm not sure how we've managed 13 pages of "debate" on this.

If Robbie's strategy is to keep things tight and settle into games early on, its working. We should probably keep doing that.

9 minutes ago, Bruno said:

Only Hearts fans could question a manager that has us 1 point off the top and unbeaten the season after promotion.

For managers its a results business. Robbie is getting results. I'm not sure how we've managed 13 pages of "debate" on this.

If Robbie's strategy is to keep things tight and settle into games early on, its working. We should probably keep doing that.

The problem is a soon as we have an off day and lose the usual ****wits will be out and about and Robbie will be back to square one on here. That's the problem and it's never going away .

1 hour ago, Bruno said:

I'm all up for showing more ambition but folk questioning Robbie and this team as we sit one point from top and unbeaten in the league are joyless. 

21 minutes ago, Bruno said:

I'd say it's the only way you can start away in a volitile atmosphere with referees desperate to make an impact.

I'm 100% certain if we'd have gone toe to toe against Rangers from the get go yesterday, we'd have been a man short by half time.

It will have been high on Bobs prematch talk.

The vermin suffered from it a few weeks ago, went for it early doors and had their wings clipped.

Excellent strategy and executed quite superbly.

13 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

we competed in the first half gumbo otherwise it would have been 4 or 5 by half time 

He’s either at the wind up or knows very little about football. 

57 minutes ago, frankblack said:

You should have seen the state of them on the Hearts vs Sunderland bounce game defeat.  :rofl:

😁

They took that result more seriously than our win against 'the worst Celtic team in a generation.' 😊

26 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

I'm all up for showing more ambition but folk questioning Robbie and this team as we sit one point from top and unbeaten in the league are joyless dickheads. 

Yup. 

11 minutes ago, Rudolf said:

He’s either at the wind up or knows very little about football. 

Blinded by his hate of all things Budge & Neilson. Used to be a decent poster, credibility is shot to pieces now though and has turned into a joyless blowhard.

It's a shame a few can't enjoy the exciting season we've got.

3 hours ago, Bull's-eye said:

It's apparent there are a few on here that just have no idea about enjoying football, they don't go to be entertained.

I suspect they're exactly the same about everything, nothing is good enough, will never be good enough.

I have no doubt we all know a few people or have worked with people that don't have a good word to say about anything or anybody.

A bit sad really.

Here’s a picture of them at full time yesterday:

E172E9CC-80B5-4B03-B722-CB7F32695E5C.jpeg.9f8fc7834e98d0cafb6023eeb640d5a3.jpeg

and here’s one of them hearing the Hibs result yesterday:

and one here of them mid orgasm:

14 minutes ago, Alex Kintner said:

Here’s a picture of them at full time yesterday:

and here’s one of them hearing the Hibs result yesterday:

and one here of them mid orgasm:

Any pics of when Hearts win the league, but Robbie's in charge?

3 hours ago, Bull's-eye said:

A bit sad really.

Great post! I’d give up if I had that mentality towards the team I support! We all want to win every game but the real world isn’t like that! I’m gutted when we lose but will never throw toys out the pram the way some do, don’t read match posts as it’s scary how some folk see how football should be! 

3 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Fair enough 👍🏽👏🏾

Fair? It's about as fair as an SFA official at a match in Glasgow...and equally predictable.

i admit I have no time for Neilson after last seasons displays, but he is doing great things this season, I suppose I will never forgive him for Brora. 

Really not sure what the problem was at times during last season but I suspect it was more down to the players of that squad than Neilson.  Complacency?  Coasting?  Whatever.

The great thing about Neilson is that he hasn't really given up on what he was trying to achieve during times when he was accused of being too cautious or defensive.  He's stuck to his principles and is getting results out of a better suited group of players.  I would rather have a manager who has his own clear sense of what he wants than one who reacts to pressure by doing what others think they want.  

The failures and negatives of last season are in the past and have no relevance.  Neilson taking a sometimes limited and fragile Championship team into the stronger,  harder,  more streetwise Premiership and making it look like we've never been away from the top half of it is a very good achievement.