Huge Test for Robbie Neilson

lost in space

2 hours ago, Bull's-eye said:

Blinded by his hate of all things Budge & Neilson. Used to be a decent poster, credibility is shot to pieces now though and has turned into a joyless blowhard.

It's a shame a few can't enjoy the exciting season we've got.

Another poster turning into Jackanory and making things up.

• Replies 798
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• JimmyCant

• Gambo

• lost in space

I can't see anyone having a go at Neilson after yesterday's game.

I see a few folk agreeing with Neilson that we should look to do better.

I see a few who do not have faith in Robbie Neilson and the team to do better.

The same few do not want Robbie and his team  to try and work out a way to do better in first half of these games. 

Weird.

We also have a couple resorting to making things up and hiding when called out on it.

32 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Another poster turning into Jackanory and making things up.

You're correct of course, I apologise for making things up.

You've never been a decent poster.

1 hour ago, Smithee said:

Decent manager would have had it wrapped up earlier of course

I'd go with "The other teams were garbage, any manager would have won it".

6 hours ago, frankblack said:

Agreed.  Its time for those Neilson haters to admit they were wrong and draw a line under it.

I see posts in the previous pages now trying to set another test that he "must pass" at Parkhead next time we go there.  Its tiresome and utterly desperate and now its time to end this nonsense.

I’ll wait to the end of the season if it’s all the same with you. 4th or above and I was wrong and will say so. 5th or below and I’ll be right and he’ll need to go. Also, this is a team that could win the cup. It’s got the mentality required so I’m looking for a cup run.

Im not sure what exactly is wrong with your manager being tested. Tests that he has to pass a majority of to keep his job. There are plenty of ‘tests’ coming up, Perth Pittodrie Parkhead Easter Road. 

Edited by JimmyCant

Just now, JimmyCant said:

I’ll wait to the end of the season if it’s all the same with you. 4th or above and I was wrong and will say so. 5th or below and I’ll be right and he’ll need to go.

Im not sure what exactly is wrong with your manager being tested. Tests that he has to pass to keep his job. There are plenty of ‘tests’ coming up, Perth Pittodrie Parkhead Easter Road. 

We don't need to listen to this constant negative drone from those who won't accept they were wrong and sit back and enjoy the football.

Their constant attempts to revise their targets after each one is met is embarrassing and utterly tiresome.

I'll take one game at a time without worrying about games that are 2, 3, 4+ matches away.

We will see how the league goes between now and the end of the season - its beginning to look like places 2-6 could be very close in terms of points.

12 minutes ago, frankblack said:

We don't need to listen to this constant negative drone from those who won't accept they were wrong and sit back and enjoy the football.

Their constant attempts to revise their targets after each one is met is embarrassing and utterly tiresome.

I'll take one game at a time without worrying about games that are 2, 3, 4+ matches away.

We will see how the league goes between now and the end of the season - its beginning to look like places 2-6 could be very close in terms of points.

Actually you do need to listen to it if you are in this forum. It’s a divisive topic and not everyone is convinced yet. For example , his derby record across his 2 terms is horrible. 2 wins in 8 including a cup tie chucked away in 7 minutes because of his game management. Balanced of course by a semi final cup win. That stat in itself needs to change in his favour before he’ll get overwhelming support. 

Edited by JimmyCant

2 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Actually you do need to listen to it if you are in this forum. It’s a divisive topic and not everyone is convinced yet. For example , his derby record across his 2 terms is horrible. 2 wins in 8 including a cup tie chucked away in 7 minutes because of his game management. That figure in itself needs to change in his favour before hell get overwhelming support.

I seem to recall him winning our last derby cup tie despite being massive underdogs.  If having a bad derby record is your judgement on keeping a manager, Jim Jefferies would have been sacked before winning the cup as he had a few shockers including the 6-2 defeat.

2 hours ago, sandylejambo said:

i admit I have no time for Neilson after last seasons displays, but he is doing great things this season, I suppose I will never forgive him for Brora. 

Never had an issue with Neilson the person but thought that the team I support could do better after watching most of last season and what he left at Dundee Utd. Hearts are  night and day compared to last season and long may  it continue. Neilson deserves credit for setting the team up but the biggest change this season has been the recruitment. Massive upgrade on that side of things and if Neilson is involved then deserves further credit.
One thing I find strange on here is the amount of folk who can find no wrong in our coaching team. Anyway time for all to get behind the team, pack out Tynecastle on what could be a great season 🤞

2 hours ago, sandylejambo said:

i admit I have no time for Neilson after last seasons displays, but he is doing great things this season, I suppose I will never forgive him for Brora. 

I was as pissed-off as anyone after Brora, and said that RN should be fired within 24 hours.  But he wasn't fired, the Club is doing well, and he deserves much of the credit for our improved situation.

For me, it's time to put Brora behind us.  We're the only undefeated team in the League, we're playing attractive football, and it would be a rash person who predicts we won't finish in the top 4.

After a few seasons in the wilderness, the Hearts are back!!  And it feels great.  :cheers:

6 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I seem to recall him winning our last derby cup tie despite being massive underdogs.  If having a bad derby record is your judgement on keeping a manager, Jim Jefferies would have been sacked before winning the cup as he had a few shockers including the 6-2 defeat.

Don’t be a silly billy. JJ’s derby record in 2 stints is miles better than RN’s. That is a fact

23 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

We were lucky to come away with a draw, let's be honest. 

Morelos could have scored 2 or 3 if his heed wasn't up his arse. 

That being said, our general play/passing has been a lot better this season, we have improved, the table shows it. 

Still missing an attacking central midfielder and we need another striker. 

That's because we don't play with one

6 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Don’t be a silly billy. JJ’s derby record in 2 stints is miles better than RN’s. That is a fact

You are all over the place here, as per usual.

I'm a fan of JJ but taking your criteria for a manager he would fail your tests.  I don't recall RN getting a shocker like the 6-2, which is still the worst game I have ever attended.

The point is you and the Neilson haters are not prepared to give a manager a chance, be it RN, Levein, or anyone else we would appoint.  There is no way the club would ever go forward with that kind of mentality.

Edited by frankblack

Guest ToqueJambo
7 hours ago, Elmo said:

All the we need to have a go straight from the start crew.

Do any of them have any examples of when this has worked ?

Do any of them have even a semblance of insight as to what that plan would be.

Maybe Robbie could have phoned Gerrard during the week said we are going to have a real go I know you are unbeaten in 18 months at home and  usually plan meticulously how to utilise your high quality internationalists but would you mind not having a plan and letting us knock it about for a while at the start.

The crazy thing about this "debate" (not really a debate just some folk clutching at straws for something to have a go at Neilson about) is that we got proof yesterday that merely starting well and playing well in the first half and taking the game to the opposition doesn't mean you'll win the game.

Rangers dominated the first half and didn't win the game, so doesn't that blow this idea that all teams have to do in Glasgow to win is start on the front foot?

Edited by ToqueJambo

Guest ToqueJambo
7 hours ago, Smithee said:

'

Its a huge test for Hearts.

All this "ah but is he good enough for this?" needs to stop.

Robbie passed his audition, he's earned the right to a bit of respect and support as Hearts manager 

TO be fair he passed his audition 5 or 6 years ago. He seems to have really matured as a manager. There are very few things to criticise about our start to this season - from appointing his coaches to recruitment to tactics to formation to game management and subs. He's obviously not perfect and is still pretty inexperienced and young for a manager but he's doing a great job and is obviously working well with both the players and the likes of Savage.

3 hours ago, sandylejambo said:

Pathetic.

3 hours ago, Bull's-eye said:

You're correct of course, I apologise for making things up.

You've never been a decent poster.

😁

1 hour ago, frankblack said:

You are all over the place here, as per usual.

I'm a fan of JJ but taking your criteria for a manager he would fail your tests.  I don't recall RN getting a shocker like the 6-2, which is still the worst game I have ever attended.

The point is you and the Neilson haters are not prepared to give a manager a chance, be it RN, Levein, or anyone else we would appoint.  There is no way the club would ever go forward with that kind of mentality.

On the contrary (and I’m not a hater) he has performed more than adequately since the start of this season, certainly assisted by a pretty damn good window and the signs are really good. But it’s early days to be hailing him after all the shite that’s gone before including 3 or 4 of the worst outcomes in the entire history of the club. He’s doing okay, better than okay. He has my cautious support now having wanted him replaced in the summer. For me that’s as much as he has earned so far.

13 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

On the contrary (and I’m not a hater) he has performed more than adequately since the start of this season, certainly assisted by a pretty damn good window and the signs are really good. But it’s early days to be hailing him after all the shite that’s gone before including 3 or 4 of the worst outcomes in the entire history of the club. He’s doing okay, better than okay. He has my cautious support now having wanted him replaced in the summer. For me that’s as much as he has earned so far.

Since you have said that we should sack RN if we finish 5th, I presume you would have sacked Paulo Sergio before the 2012 cup final as we finished 5th with a far superior squad?

7 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Since you have said that we should sack RN if we finish 5th, I presume you would have sacked Paulo Sergio before the 2012 cup final as we finished 5th with a far superior squad?

It wasn’t a superior squad. 

2 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Actually you do need to listen to it if you are in this forum. It’s a divisive topic and not everyone is convinced yet. For example , his derby record across his 2 terms is horrible. 2 wins in 8 including a cup tie chucked away in 7 minutes because of his game management. Balanced of course by a semi final cup win. That stat in itself needs to change in his favour before he’ll get overwhelming support. 

Aaah it is now his derby record that is the problem.

Well it was indeed a big test for Neilson on Saturday in Glasgow, back when that was the problem.

4 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

It wasn’t a superior squad. 

Our squad is getting better but Skacel is far superior to anyone we have now.  Then at the back Zal and Webster, Suso and Driver out wide, Beattie and Stephen Elliot up front.  Add in Danny Grainger, Novikovas, Ryan MacGowan, etc.  You can run through the whole squad and compare if you like - its an interesting debate for another thread.

Just now, frankblack said:

Our squad is getting better but Skacel is far superior to anyone we have now.  Then at the back Zal and Webster, Suso and Driver out wide, Beattie and Stephen Elliot up front.  Add in Danny Grainger, Novikovas, Ryan MacGowan, etc.  You can run through the whole squad and compare if you like - its an interesting debate for another thread.

Ska cell is obviously the stand out. Maybe too early to compare squads as this is a fresh side but for me this one looks better. Driver had already had his bad injury by 2012, he was never the same after he came back. Real shame as he could’ve been a fantastic player at a higher level than us. 

39 minutes ago, frankblack said:

You presume wrong. Sergio managed a squad who didn’t get paid most months, In an environment that was toxic. It was remarkable that got anywhere near a cup final. A far superior squad ? Take Skacel out of that team and it’s not as good man for man as the current squad IMO. Skacel  and Zal are the only two who would get in the current team, again IMO. Skacel was a once in a lifetime player who carried that team. Paulo Sergio was probably the best manager of the Romanov era outwith Burley and I’d have kept him on even if he hadn’t won the cup

If RN finishes 5th or below with this squad after this start, he’ll be correctly sacked. (he is out of contract anyway as far as I know) My opinion won’t matter, neither will yours.

Edited by JimmyCant

Another test passed yesterday.

I started the season as a Robbie sceptic, but no-one can argue that results and performances haven't exceeded expectations.

We've been crying out for a team with a bit of desire and skill for years, and so far it's looking good.

It's still early days, but for the first time in a long time we have cause for optimism.

3 hours ago, frankblack said:

I'd go with "The other teams were garbage, any manager would have won it".

Another manager might have done better in the cups.

There are two things I find Robbie is lacking in: Cup and Derby games.

32 minutes ago, WageThief said:

Well it was indeed a big test for Neilson on Saturday in Glasgow, back when that was the problem.

Like it or not his derby record is a problem. 

32 minutes ago, WageThief said:

His derby record isn’t good. Check it out. It just isn’t. That’s a standalone fact. If you don’t think that fact matters, let’s just leave it there.

2 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Think we’ve read enough on this thread to see people who were against him previously have softened their stance. Good to see. 

9 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

His derby record isn’t good. Check it out. It just isn’t. That’s a standalone fact. If you don’t think that fact matters, let’s just leave it there.

Is it 2 wins, 2 losses and 4 or 5 draws ? It’s neither great or terrible. Not something you can hold against him surely ? 

9 minutes ago, damo said:

Think we’ve read enough on this thread to see people who were against him previously have softened their stance. Good to see. 

Absolutely. I’m a perfect example. I’ve said clearly he is doing better and I’m happy enough seeing how he goes

15 minutes ago, Beni said:

Another test passed yesterday.

I started the season as a Robbie sceptic, but no-one can argue that results and performances haven't exceeded expectations.

We've been crying out for a team with a bit of desire and skill for years, and so far it's looking good.

It's still early days, but for the first time in a long time we have cause for optimism.

Precisely correct.  And if hid derby and Cup record isn't good, let's look forward to him improving them.

1 minute ago, damo said:

Is it 2 wins, 2 losses and 4 or 5 draws ? It’s neither great or terrible. Not something you can hold against him surely ? 

I said it wasn’t ‘good’ It isn’t good.

21 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

You presume wrong. Sergio managed a squad who didn’t get paid most months, In an environment that was toxic. It was remarkable that got anywhere near a cup final. A far superior squad ? Take Skacel out of that team and it’s not as good man for man as the current squad IMO. Skacel  and Zal are the only two who would get in the current team, again IMO. Skacel was a once in a lifetime player who carried that team. Paulo Sergio was probably the best manager of the Romanov era outwith Burley and I’d have kept him on even if he hadn’t won the cup

If RN finishes 5th or below with this squad after this start, he’ll be correctly sacked. (he is out of contract anyway as far as I know) My opinion won’t matter, neither will yours.

To clarify you honestly think Robbie will be sacked if we finish 5th this season ?

5 minutes ago, ramrod said:

To clarify you honestly think Robbie will be sacked if we finish 5th this season ?

Unless he has the cup in the trophy room, he wouldn’t be here the following season IMO. He is out of contract anyway so costs nothing to switch and depending  on who is available, I think we’d switch. He has the best squad by a distance that we’ve had since coming out of admin. He has started very well. If he finishes 5th or lower from here that’s a fail IMO.

Edited by JimmyCant

Absolute Scenes
5 hours ago, sandylejambo said:

Well you are going to have to just grow up and get over it! It’s history move on. He’s doing great things this season.

6 minutes ago, ramrod said:

I don't think he'll be sacked if we get relegated this season. 

That's hardly the point. 

1 minute ago, damo said:

By the same token It also isn’t bad ? 

For a Hearts manager it is, unless you buy in to the "just another game" stuff.

5 minutes ago, damo said:

By the same token It also isn’t bad ? 

Depends on what you are used to in derbies I suppose and what you’ll accept as a minimum. How would you describe it now you’ve said what it isn’t ? How far back would you have to go to find a derby record like his ?

Edited by JimmyCant

4 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Well you are going to have to just grow up and get over it! It’s history move on. He’s doing great things this season.

🥰

1 minute ago, JimmyCant said:

Unless he has the cup in the trophy room, he wouldn’t be here the following season IMO. He is out of contract anyway so costs nothing to switch and depending  on who is available. He has the best squad by a distance that we’ve had since coming out of admin. He has started very well. If he finishes 5th or lower from here that’s a fail IMO.

Not saying your opinion is wrong I just can't  see him being sacked if we finish top 6 , obv our Scottish Cup run will be a factor.

I just hope the guys that clearly don't like or want RN as manager don't come out swinging when we inevitably turn in an under par performance and lose .

He and the players have earned the right to be judge on the season so far not just on one result. 

For what it's worth it's probably a forlorn hope and the usual suspects will slaughter him as soon as we lose a game.

43 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Loved Zal to bits but Webby was twice the defender and twice the player. Zal wouldn’t get in a combined 11 for me though so that neither weakens or strengthens your point. 

14 minutes ago, ramrod said:

Not saying your opinion is wrong I just can't  see him being sacked if we finish top 6 , obv our Scottish Cup run will be a factor.

I just hope the guys that clearly don't like or want RN as manager don't come out swinging when we inevitably turn in an under par performance and lose .

He and the players have earned the right to be judge on the season so far not just on one result. 

For what it's worth it's probably a forlorn hope and the usual suspects will slaughter him as soon as we lose a game.

I don’t have any doubts he’ll be judged on the season as a whole, including the cup. Also no doubt he’ll get slaughtered by some every time he gets beat, and he will at some point no doubt. He’s won a lot of credit back so far this season. He is more positive and more confident looking now he’s got a decent squad. His system works and he doesn’t tinker as much. His substitutions have generally worked and been the right ones at the right time. He’s getting more out of players IMO and he’s getting good support from Naismith and Savage which wasn’t there last season. All good signs but surely a bit of waryness is still justified, disappearing week by week but still there, quite understandably.

By Jove, the perennially miserable naysayers are having a difficult season thus far. Deluded to the point that they must honestly think that their negative nonsense, back-handed compliments and transparent agenda(s) carry weight in the real world. Pathetic. As for their previous confident predictions of a relegation battle, and so on and so forth? Their chrystal balls should be returned as faulty goods.

Methinks that if they got the chance then they'd sneak into Tynecastle and literally shift the goalposts.

A bunch of interloping Hobos couldn't do a better job of shit-stirring. It must be terrible being driven by bitterness and feeling compelled to perform mental gymnastics simply to maintain a grasp on some longed for ambition to one day, one day be able to say, "I was right all along".

3 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

I don’t have any doubts he’ll be judged on the season as a whole, including the cup. Also no doubt he’ll get slaughtered by some every time he gets beat, and he will at some point no doubt. He’s won a lot of credit back so far this season. He is more positive and more confident looking now he’s got a decent squad. His system works and he doesn’t tinker as much. His substitutions have generally worked and been the right ones at the right time. He’s getting more out of players IMO and he’s getting good support from Naismith and Savage which wasn’t there last season. All good signs but surely a bit of waryness is still justified, disappearing week by week but still there, quite understandably.

An excellent summary 👌

5 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Loved Zal to bits but Webby was twice the defender and twice the player. Zal wouldn’t get in a combined 11 for me though so that neither weakens or strengthens your point. 

The pre injury pre buggering off Webster was a great player. The one that came back to Sergios team not so much. Zal was a better defender than 2 of the 3 current incumbents and was  almost as good as Pressley at his height although Pressley was excellent for far longer than Zal was.