Scotland V Israel/Faroes. Official double match thread.

John Findlay

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• ri Alban

• Maroon Sailor

• Harry Potter

20 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

:thumb:

Ach, fech it, It's half fu' o' gin & tonic richt noo; sae 'Bottoms Up', 'Prost' and 'Slàinte Mhath' tae ye, ma bonny laddie (ma single malt has been quaffed) 🤪

Screenshot_20211010-053620_Gallery.jpg

3 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

Ach, fech it, It's half fu' o' gin & tonic richt noo; sae 'Bottoms Up', 'Prost' and 'Slàinte Mhath' tae ye, ma bonny laddie (ma single malt has been quaffed) 🤪

Screenshot_20211010-053620_Gallery.jpg

And to you.

I'm having a decaf, letting my Cat oot, walking the dog, and off to work.

I'll be on it later tho, as I've taken a few days holiday. :cheers: 

:olly:

Great second half but the defending was abysmal at times, not sure they know how to play a 3. Not easy to coach guys to play a 3 when you only have them a week or two every two and a bit months. get the feeling it was just to accommodate McTominay, McGinn and Gilmour in same team. 

Ex member of the SaS

Not read the whole thread but why did the ref not use VAR at their second goal? Dykes kicked the ball against the attacker's arm and Gordon was kicked in the head! Glad he looked again at our goal though. Just what is the criteria for getting the officials to check?

Some of the criticism of Dykes is ridiculous. We can all agree he's not world class, but the reality is he's a lot better than most of the strikers Scotland have had over the last two decades. Even Ally McCoist wasn't world class, but we've not had a striker of his quality since he stopped playing for Scotland - and that was the best part of 25 years ago.

4 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Dykes isn’t shite at all, is he a top top player? Of course not but he works his arse off, holds play ip, links well..  he’s not ****ing world beater but he’s not “shite”

Agreed, but some think Thumb is an option.

part_time_jambo
10 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Days like this you curse that the thumb is a wee waster. 

Having him in form as an option. 

Instead he's booting flairs back into fans at dens. 

Just like McGregor and  baz.. Arseholes Think playing for the of makes the untouchable. 

Wankers. 

I have an image of a pair of trousers flying through the air. 

If Dykes worked on his finishing he would score double the goals. He's not outstanding but he's not a weak link like some make out. Gets in good positions and creates problems for opposition defenders.

14 hours ago, micole said:

Well done Scotland, at last we get a break. What is annoying me though, how come we are getting Andorra v England on cooncil telly yet our game was on Sky ?.

It’s nuts that this isn’t more widely known. But all the tv rights are centralised by UEFA. So they sell each countries. ITV were willing to pay the most for England games Sky we’re willing to pay the most for Scotland games. UEFA take the highest offer. While the rights continue to be centralised by UEFA the only ones who can get Scotland games back on cooncil telly are BBC or STV (I suppose CH4 or CH5 too)

5 minutes ago, CloustonHMFC said:

If Dykes worked on his finishing he would score double the goals. He's not outstanding but he's not a weak link like some make out. Gets in good positions and creates problems for opposition defenders.

He is, he took out our offside trap while looking along the line for their second, it was as weak as you'll see defensively.

At high school I knew to let the guy run offside, that was really poor

A_A wehatethehibs
17 minutes ago, Smithee said:

He is, he took out our offside trap while looking along the line for their second, it was as weak as you'll see defensively.

At high school I knew to let the guy run offside, that was really poor

There’s a massive difference between a center forward getting caught in the wrong position on the park and being a “weak link” in a team. 

He’s not a defender it’s quite absurd to call him out based on an offside trap. He’s a Center forward. 

Take a look at his finish that tells you all you need to know about doing his job. Weak links are players who do not do their jobs. 

But yes, leave the offside trap to the Center halves Lyndon get the **** out of there ya big ozzy plank. 

He is a big guy with brain of a peanut.

Offside, penalty, header, plus at least two other simple mistakes but it would seem he's the best we've got.

15 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Why do you think ? I’d think it was fairly obvious if you know anything about international politics and the in humane treatment of some people’s 

All aboard the outrage bus 

5 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Dykes isn’t shite at all, is he a top top player? Of course not but he works his arse off, holds play ip, links well..  he’s not ****ing world beater but he’s not “shite”

:dito:

We've given ourselves a chance of qualification. 

Much more than we've done in recent years! 

1 hour ago, stirlo said:

Some of the criticism of Dykes is ridiculous. We can all agree he's not world class, but the reality is he's a lot better than most of the strikers Scotland have had over the last two decades. Even Ally McCoist wasn't world class, but we've not had a striker of his quality since he stopped playing for Scotland - and that was the best part of 25 years ago.

Agree but McCoist was an average centre forward at international level.

We have got this far without the thumb and Dykes has scored more goals than him.

Not you Stirlo but another that is vastly overrated at international level.

1 hour ago, chizinho21 said:

It’s nuts that this isn’t more widely known. But all the tv rights are centralised by UEFA. So they sell each countries. ITV were willing to pay the most for England games Sky we’re willing to pay the most for Scotland games. UEFA take the highest offer. While the rights continue to be centralised by UEFA the only ones who can get Scotland games back on cooncil telly are BBC or STV (I suppose CH4 or CH5 too)

English games live on STV!

English game highlights, on STV, just after the STV English news describing the action at English games, just after the actual Live English games!

Oh well.......at least we are now being force fed the English women games now on the EBC so have plenty of options and couldn't possibly complain!

10 hours ago, Smoked-Glass said:

Basically if just beat the crap teams in this group we've done it for 2nd.

2 winable games away from home 

Oh God, you’ve done it now.

If Scotland excel at one thing, it’s getting ourselves into an excellent position only to blow it against someone rubbish. The classic example being when we led a Euros qualification group containing France, Italy and Ukraine for about 80% of the campaign, and blew qualification because we lost away to Georgia. I thought we might have laid that bogey when we came through the Serbia playoff, but then we managed to let the Czechs pip us at the post in the Nations League when promotion to the top group and a second shot at the World Cup were within our grasp. Naturally, we’d beaten the Czechs home and away (the latter thanks to Covid, but still) and it was losses to the weaker teams that did for us.

Nothing can be taken for granted when Scotland are playing. There’s always the possibility of a Georgia (happened twice), a Kazakhstan, or a Faroes (where we have drawn in two previous campaigns). We’ve even required an injury time goal to beat Liechtenstein.

I thought I posted about Dykes yesterday, but can’t see it now. The guy isn’t an international class striker, that’s undeniable. And his penalty last night was woeful. But we don’t have a big queue of great strikers (which is why we have Nisbet on the bench) and Dykes does score goals. Not in the Euros, where he looked like a carthorse, but he has the knack of scoring important goals in qualifiers. The one he scored last night was superb - power, aggression, athleticism and skill. He’d have had a second if not for a superb save from Marciano. He’ll do.

i wonder if tony watt would work well alongside dykes? now hear me out, i was looking at strikers who are eligible to play for scotland and watt is in a bit of form just now and can do things that are unpredictable (his quick thinking to shoot from outside the box v us that forced gordon to push it over the bar). he also has more goals than nisbett this season in the league (4 in 8 compared to 2 in 6). 

or could he be a better option to have on the bench than nisbett?

2 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

i wonder if tony watt would work well alongside dykes? now hear me out, i was looking at strikers who are eligible to play for scotland and watt is in a bit of form just now and can do things that are unpredictable (his quick thinking to shoot from outside the box v us that forced gordon to push it over the bar). he also has more goals than nisbett this season in the league (4 in 8 compared to 2 in 6). 

😳

1 hour ago, Hesh said:

All aboard the outrage bus 

Beep beep !!!! We sent them packing beep beep 

1 hour ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

There’s a massive difference between a center forward getting caught in the wrong position on the park and being a “weak link” in a team. 

He’s not a defender it’s quite absurd to call him out based on an offside trap. He’s a Center forward. 

Take a look at his finish that tells you all you need to know about doing his job. Weak links are players who do not do their jobs. 

But yes, leave the offside trap to the Center halves Lyndon get the **** out of there ya big ozzy plank. 

That was one example, but any professional footballer should know better than that, attacker, defender, whatever.

I don't think we have loads better  but I'd still say he was a weak link

A_A wehatethehibs
1 minute ago, Smithee said:

That was one example, but any professional footballer should know better than that, attacker, defender, whatever.

I don't think we have loads better  but I'd still say he was a weak link

Aye a Center forward scores 2 winners and 1 equaliser in 3 games, “weak link”, right enough. I suppose you’re one of those who reckons Hearts need to drop Boyce? Weak link for us eh, keeps giving the ball away and missing chances (top scorer in the league) 

jack D and coke
1 hour ago, jonnothejambo said:

I agree with this. He certainly isn't shite. He's not the best but he is an integral part of the team. He should have had a hattrick but his goal was a ripper.

Now Olly McBurnie. He is shite.

I think Dykes has something about him and I like his Aussie mentality.

Defo. Great attitude. 
Saw a thing on Twitter after the Moldova game at home some people were looking for this guy cos he’d went missing and he’d ended up on a bender with Dykes amd his old man :lol: 

Its hard to not like Dykes. 

44 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Just an unexpected post. 😄

Not entirely. There was a thread a couple of weeks ago on Scotland’s lack of quality strikers. Watt was mentioned by quite a few as someone who might be worth a try. He’s better than Nisbet that’s for sure

13 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Not entirely. There was a thread a couple of weeks ago on Scotland’s lack of quality strikers. Watt was mentioned by quite a few as someone who might be worth a try. He’s better than Nisbet that’s for sure

Must have missed that. I think his boat has sailed. 

It is without doubt this is the best Scotland team in 25 years.......we are also getting the luck that's deserted us at every opportunity......It's time to all stand together as its easy to criticize isn't it.......    We have a very competitive squad with a club mentality......But we need another penalty taker ffs lol

21 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

11 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

He’s only 27. Goal rate probably needs to go up a bit for him to get another chance right enough

1 hour ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Aye a Center forward scores 2 winners and 1 equaliser in 3 games, “weak link”, right enough. I suppose you’re one of those who reckons Hearts need to drop Boyce? Weak link for us eh, keeps giving the ball away and missing chances (top scorer in the league) 

You're not very good at dealing with opposing views eh?

I'm a Boyce fan btw

2 hours ago, Doc Rob said:

Oh God, you’ve done it now.

If Scotland excel at one thing, it’s getting ourselves into an excellent position only to blow it against someone rubbish. The classic example being when we led a Euros qualification group containing France, Italy and Ukraine for about 80% of the campaign, and blew qualification because we lost away to Georgia. I thought we might have laid that bogey when we came through the Serbia playoff, but then we managed to let the Czechs pip us at the post in the Nations League when promotion to the top group and a second shot at the World Cup were within our grasp. Naturally, we’d beaten the Czechs home and away (the latter thanks to Covid, but still) and it was losses to the weaker teams that did for us.

Nothing can be taken for granted when Scotland are playing. There’s always the possibility of a Georgia (happened twice), a Kazakhstan, or a Faroes (where we have drawn in two previous campaigns). We’ve even required an injury time goal to beat Liechtenstein.

I thought I posted about Dykes yesterday, but can’t see it now. The guy isn’t an international class striker, that’s undeniable. And his penalty last night was woeful. But we don’t have a big queue of great strikers (which is why we have Nisbet on the bench) and Dykes does score goals. Not in the Euros, where he looked like a carthorse, but he has the knack of scoring important goals in qualifiers. The one he scored last night was superb - power, aggression, athleticism and skill. He’d have had a second if not for a superb save from Marciano. He’ll do.

Yup. Was going to say we lost to Georgia twice. 

Hope  we never get them in a qualifying group again...and Kazakhstan.. Very nice!! 

36 minutes ago, chrisyboy7 said:

It is without doubt this is the best Scotland team in 25 years.......we are also getting the luck that's deserted us at every opportunity......It's time to all stand together as its easy to criticize isn't it.......    We have a very competitive squad with a club mentality......But we need another penalty taker ffs lol

No. 

The 06-07 was our best team.  Even Barry ferguson played well in that team and we had a Hartley, mcfadeen and Gordon etc.. 

Beating France twice and destroying the Ukraine at Hampden.      But for Georgia and that ref howler in last min v Italy we cud have made it. No play offs that campaign either. 

17 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

I'm celebrating tonight with haggis and salad cream, washed down with cammomile tea, whatever that is.

There’s a strong reek of devil worship about this vile concoction.

Desist.

3 hours ago, Jambo61 said:

English games live on STV!

English game highlights, on STV, just after the STV English news describing the action at English games, just after the actual Live English games!

Oh well.......at least we are now being force fed the English women games now on the EBC so have plenty of options and couldn't possibly complain!

iPlayer doesn't even have last nights Sportscene highlights available yet unless I'm missing something. 

Sometimes I think we get what we deserve in terms of being treated with utter disdain by the broadcasters, what with the woeful worn out old blazers in the SFA and idiot-works Doncaster talking our game down all the time. 

2 hours ago, milky_26 said:

You Tony Watts love child he has absolutely no chance of ever getting near squad.

Nisbet miles better 

Malinga the Swinga
17 minutes ago, Lfhearts said:

You Tony Watts love child he has absolutely no chance of ever getting near squad.

Nisbet miles better 

Nisbet is a fat useless ***** of a player who played for a shit team of ****ing nobodies.

You carry your love strongly for Nisbet, always rushing to his defence, whenever his obvious deficiencies are called out.

You must have been heart broken when he lost his nerve and missed penalty in semi final. 

Watt playing better and could be an option.

3 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Nisbet is a fat useless ***** of a player who played for a shit team of ****ing nobodies.

You carry your love strongly for Nisbet, always rushing to his defence, whenever his obvious deficiencies are called out.

You must have been heart broken when he lost his nerve and missed penalty in semi final. 

You still breathing in Currie air, anyway on you go would rather you slag me than your normal attack, as for Nisbet it's about opinions, Tony Watt an option oh my sides.

Curry lads I know, bwatt, soup, niz etc I used to go on Currie bus.

34 minutes ago, Lfhearts said:

Nisbet miles better 

Nisbet is an imposter and should be nowhere near this squad. 

13 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Watt is a journeyman and his chance has passed.

Pasquale for King
20 hours ago, tian447 said:

Ah that's a good point, didn't think about that. 

I know they did have a little spell in the Oceania (OFC) groups for a while after getting punted out of the Asian groups (ACL) after a series of boycotts. They've been in the European qualifiers since 1992, and a full member since 1994.

Still, strange we didn't bump into them once in 24 years, and then had 7 games in the last 3 :lol:

Yeah definitely. 
Didn’t realise they got dumped on us because other groups didn’t want them, makes sense. 

Hackney Hearts
21 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

It's a song for plastic Scots. 

I hate haggis, whiskey and that song. 

Is it the plastic Irish you hate as well?  

🤪

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

If he keeps scoring and also puts in the effort he did against us he might just get another chance. 

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Hackney Hearts said:

Is it the plastic Irish you hate as well?  

🤪

Should have to go back to school if you spell whisky that way 🤦🏽

A_A wehatethehibs
1 hour ago, Smithee said:

You're not very good at dealing with opposing views eh?

I'm a Boyce fan btw

Just feel you are being harsh on a guy who has been pivotal to our points tally calling him a weak link. A weak link is someone who is not capable of doing their job. What is the job of a Center forward? Has he done that job last 3 games? For me he has been one of the big positives at the minute. Maybe it’s just temporary but, playing his club football at a good level, improving himself, developing. Age 26 I think it’s perfectly possible he is about to have his peak years ahead of him which could be massive for Scotland if he can finish these balls in from the left, as he did last night magnificently, because that is one area we are very strong with 2 world class crossers of a ball. They will put balls on a plate which is meat and drink for a CF 

2 hours ago, davemclaren said:

i missed that thread as well, however watt is only 27 so still has a chance

• davemclaren changed the title to Scotland V Israel/Faroes. Official double match thread.