Dogs know best

Naisys Tackle

Easily the worst part of having a dog is having to say goodbye at some point.

My pup just turned 1 recently, and it breaks my heart thinking that he'll be gone one day.  Been through it so many times before, and it never gets easier.

Love them and cherish every thing they do that makes you smile, or even the things that annoy you.  They really are your best friends.

20230122-153500.jpg

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Unknown user

• mrmarkus1981_1

• Dawnrazor

CavySlaveJambo

Dogs absolutely know best.  

Assistance Poodle (in Training) Teddy. 

Doing Pressure Therapy at a dog show.  

F8E689A3-53FC-4418-8B6C-F23E5EBBB194.jpeg

Edited by CavySlaveJambo

2 hours ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Dugs.....what not to like.

20190125_141645~2.jpg

He's looking real smug with himself, our dog has faces like that. Because she knows she can wrap me around her little dew claw, she's in charge and i'm just a flunky to serve her needs. 

Jambof3tornado
2 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

He's looking real smug with himself, our dog has faces like that. Because she knows she can wrap me around her little dew claw, she's in charge and i'm just a flunky to serve her needs. 

Always happiest at the beach.......and a real sour puss when we leave the beach!!

20230602_230511.jpg

I've got this handsome chap for the next few days as my Sister and her hubby are away to Ireland for the Rory Gallagher festival.

Screenshot_20230602-231007-887.png

32 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Always happiest at the beach.......and a real sour puss when we leave the beach!!

20230602_230511.jpg

That's another of the things that amuses me about them, I like this beach, what's your problem not staying here? You stupid? Or, I know you have heaps more food in that kitchen, why am I not eating all day long? What's wrong with you?

2 hours ago, Jambof3tornado said:

20230602_230511.jpg

He’s an absolute beauty. 🥰

My dog has been away at the in-laws all day because my partner has been on call and it was easier for her to be there than at home. 

Went to pick him up tonight and the welcome was incredible.  Full jumps up, crying, whining, licking my face, all over me.  Jumping in my lap.... at 45kg, that's some doing :lol:

I honestly prefer dogs to people, but he really is something special. 

On 02/06/2023 at 10:48, Dawnrazor said:

"Guss" is getting picked up next weekend, another chapter begins.

IMG-20230601-WA0000~2.jpg

The look of 'Are you my Daddy' 👍

Unknown user
7 hours ago, Naisys Tackle said:

Hate this thread and jealous as anything. 

:) 

MINKY

SAYS

RELAX

DSC-0926.jpg

Harry Potter
14 hours ago, Jambof3tornado said:

20230602_230511.jpg

Ha Ha, great pic.

This is my very best pal Rudi.

He was diagnosed with cancer last April and given 4-6 months, and here he is today still going strong 😍

He has been through some tough times with the treatment but is always a cheery happy wee soul.

Dogs can teach us a lot.

Rudi 1.jpg

A little interesting thing about dogs I recall reading. It said that dogs are the only animals who will respond to a specific human gesture, namely pointing. If you point a dog will look in that direction, he knows what it means, a chimp on the other hand will not look where you point.

The dogs are so attuned to us, they know things about us we don't know. And i'm not exaggerating when I say that. Seen dogs do some incredible stuff.

It was dog owners not the scientific community who first alerted science to the fact some dogs can somehow detect a seizure developing in owners, and give them warning to lie down it's coming. Amazing stuff.

henrysmithsgloves
3 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

A little interesting thing about dogs I recall reading. It said that dogs are the only animals who will respond to a specific human gesture, namely pointing. If you point a dog will look in that direction, he knows what it means, a chimp on the other hand will not look where you point.

The dogs are so attuned to us, they know things about us we don't know. And i'm not exaggerating when I say that. Seen dogs do some incredible stuff.

It was dog owners not the scientific community who first alerted science to the fact some dogs can somehow detect a seizure developing in owners, and give them warning to lie down it's coming. Amazing stuff.

My pup is more protective since I had my stroke plus always licking my affected arm❤️

Jambof3tornado
14 hours ago, merrymac said:

This is my very best pal Rudi.

He was diagnosed with cancer last April and given 4-6 months, and here he is today still going strong 😍

He has been through some tough times with the treatment but is always a cheery happy wee soul.

Dogs can teach us a lot.

Rudi 1.jpg

Braw dug!

On 03/06/2023 at 15:24, mrmarkus1981_1 said:

Might have lost one but still got this legend to spoil ❤️

PXL_20220326_145446408.jpg

You’ve either got to stop posting pictures like this, or I’ve to stop showing them to my wife.

😍😍

1 hour ago, graygo said:

The wife's sister is getting this wee thing in 4 weeks, I'm not jealous at all.

FB_IMG_1685884210335.jpg

233D7F74-0077-41CC-9CD2-D15C7AC9487C.jpeg

25 minutes ago, Morgan said:

233D7F74-0077-41CC-9CD2-D15C7AC9487C.jpeg

She's calling it Rowan which apparently is old Scots/Irish for little red head.

6 minutes ago, graygo said:

She's calling it Rowan which apparently is old Scots/Irish for little red head.

Perfect!

Just lovely.

If a new poster appears on this thread called Mrs Morgan, you’ll know she’s mine.  👍

mrmarkus1981_1
4 hours ago, Morgan said:

You’ve either got to stop posting pictures like this, or I’ve to stop showing them to my wife.

😍😍

What's that now... 😂

PXL_20230604_124515483.jpg

1 minute ago, mrmarkus1981_1 said:

What's that now... 😂

PXL_20230604_124515483.jpg

Thanks for nothing.

I’ve just lost her for the evening now!

Jokes apart, lovely!  👍

Pans Jambo
On 02/06/2023 at 18:23, Jambof3tornado said:

Dugs.....what not to like.

20190125_141645~2.jpg

What a cracker 👍

Pans Jambo
On 02/06/2023 at 23:06, Jambof3tornado said:

20230602_230511.jpg

Beauty

Pans Jambo
On 02/06/2023 at 17:15, tian447 said:

Easily the worst part of having a dog is having to say goodbye at some point.

My pup just turned 1 recently, and it breaks my heart thinking that he'll be gone one day.  Been through it so many times before, and it never gets easier.

Love them and cherish every thing they do that makes you smile, or even the things that annoy you.  They really are your best friends.

20230122-153500.jpg

Beautiful dug

19 hours ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

My pup is more protective since I had my stroke plus always licking my affected arm❤️

Sorry to hear about the stroke, a good dog always helps in difficult times. Regarding the dogs alerting people to a seizure about to happen that was first reported by an epileptic woman back in the 1990's when her golden retriever began warning her up to 20 minutes before the event.

She said this was life changing, she had been afraid to go anywhere, even have a shower say, because she just never knew when she would have a seizure. Now she could go places and the dog would give her warning to find a safe location lie down and prepare. The scientists believed it, but had no idea how.

Prior to that there had been been trained seizure response dogs. When the owner went down the dog would bark and try to raise the alarm, try to protest them in a number of ways. That can be trained but this even better solution cannot because we didn't know what they were responding to. If we can find it, we can train them.

Quote from an article about it.

Up to now, some scientists have guessed that the dog that was doing the alerting was responding to changes in behavior in the individual, perhaps in the way that they move. Other scientists have suggested that there are changes in the individual's scent, and still others have even speculated that the dogs can detect magnetic effects since it is known that physiological changes and excessive electrical activity in the brain precede epileptic seizures.

A team of researchers headed by Neil Anthony Powell of Queens University in Belfast reasoned that the metabolic stress and the physiological changes which accompany the onset of a seizure might release volatile organic compounds, which dissolve in the blood and saliva and are eventually either exhaled as part of the respiratory process or appear as sweat.

These volatile organic compounds might be detected by a dog's sensitive nose, thus providing a scent cue that a seizure is about to occur. 

Full article https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/canine-corner/202103/how-do-seizure-alert-dogs-know-seizure-is-coming

• 2 months later...
mrmarkus1981_1

A breeder heard about us losing our 2 year old Border Terrier and offered to gift us a healthy BT puppy. Going to see them today 😍

12 minutes ago, mrmarkus1981_1 said:

A breeder heard about us losing our 2 year old Border Terrier and offered to gift us a healthy BT puppy. Going to see them today 😍

Restart your dog life, it's not disloyalty to a lost furry friend. My sister and her husband lost a 5 year old white German shepherd about 10 years or so ago now, swore to never go through that again and never have.

They had been told by a vet sometime prior to the dogs death that she would inevitably die young, some sort of liver thing if I remember correctly. But at the time of diagnosis she was absolutely fine and energetic and was still like that at least a year later, can't remember how long in total she lasted healthy after diagnosis but it was sometime. 

The end came over a period of a couple of months or so and the final 3 weeks she hadn't eaten before they worked up the gumption to let her go. Traumatic I suppose and too traumatic for my sister in particular.

This is a pic of that dog when still a pup. 

Picture-011.jpg

Dick Dastardly
Just now, Sooperstar said:

Not had to deal with this for a good while now, thankfully. 

That was just the tip of the iceberg. The other lug was as bad and her belly and tail were covered too. Saved me from walking too far though, so that was a positive 

3 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

That was just the tip of the iceberg. The other lug was as bad and her belly and tail were covered too. Saved me from walking too far though, so that was a positive 

You'll be finding them for days. 

Dick Dastardly
Just now, Sooperstar said:

You'll be finding them for days. 

She'll be covered in them again before the day is out! 

Benny Factor

We got this absolute crackpot last year. Has cost us a fortune in vets fees, the first one was while we were on a caravan holiday when she was 4 months old. The previous residents of the caravan must've included someone that liked a "smoke". She's picked up one of the ends on the ground and swallowed it, and it's not been until a few hours later that we've realised that it wasn't a normal cigarette end. She was stoned out of her nut!

IMG-20230602-WA0001.jpg

9 minutes ago, Benny Factor said:

We got this absolute crackpot last year. Has cost us a fortune in vets fees, the first one was while we were on a caravan holiday when she was 4 months old. The previous residents of the caravan must've included someone that liked a "smoke". She's picked up one of the ends on the ground and swallowed it, and it's not been until a few hours later that we've realised that it wasn't a normal cigarette end. She was stoned out of her nut!

IMG-20230602-WA0001.jpg

Quality pic. :laugh:

That thing you do

The one in black is ours the one in white is his BFF. They walk together every day and play in the evenings.

She is off to live in Canada next month so hoping ours doesn't take it to badly.

Ours (name is Benny) came from a rescue centre. Him and his brothers and sisters were found half suffocated in a bag and we adopted him from the shelter in Mexico City. Wonderful dog.

I mentioned previously the one that passed away. Benny is 4 months old and last month was a year since our other one had to be put to sleep. Still miss her.

IMG-20230804-WA0004.jpg

Edited by That thing you do

Dick Dastardly
30 minutes ago, That thing you do said:

The one in black is ours the one in white is his BFF. They walk together every day and play in the evenings.

She is off to live in Canada next month so hoping ours doesn't take it to badly.

Ours (name is Benny) came from a rescue centre. Him and his brothers and sisters were found half suffocated in a bag and we adopted him from the shelter in Mexico City. Wonderful dog.

I mentioned previously the one that passed away. Benny is 4 months old and last month was a year since our other one had to be put to sleep. Still miss her.

IMG-20230804-WA0004.jpg

I think I'll be jumping in the river with a rucksack full of rocks when mine goes. 

Just now, AlimOzturk said:

Cherish every moment you have with dogs guys. Truly man’s best friend. 

I've got two older dogs, 10 and 8, it's only a matter of time before one goes but no matter how many dogs you have over how many years, it never gets easier when the day comes, it breaks my heart every time.