• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Unknown user

• mrmarkus1981_1

• Dawnrazor

Had 4 dogs in my life, well on the 5th now and she's 10. The pain of losing them never gets any easier, you always think they're irreplaceable.

But in your affections at least they're not irreplaceable, every last one is unique but the pain is just as intense for every one of them.

I try to earn the devotion and loyalty they give me, but we still don't deserve them.

Eldest dog is 15 and has been diagnosed with heart failure. She's on loads of meds, its costing a fortune, but I don't care. It's heartbreaking try to take her for a walk, knowing that few years back she would be well up for a run around, now can barely get round the block. 

Got two others, one barely a year the other 8. He's a great dog, hates other dogs (apart from the other two), but when mum passed away in August, he glued himself to me for two weeks. He knew something was wrong with me.

Still miss the dog I grew up with, and he passed away about 25 years ago.

I've one Springer who's ten and a Labrador who's seven, two younger ones, a Spinger and a Labrador who are two, and hopefully a Springer and Labrador pup coming this year, my old Springer is still very fit and looks more like a five year old than a ten year old, but dogs her age can go down hill quick, I lost her father last spring and it was heartbreaking, I know I've got it coming twice in the next few years and I'm not looking forward to it.

• 2 months later...

Surely this dog wasn't in this condition for 'weeks' while no one did anything. I mean who wouldn't stop if you saw this.

Ireland's best-known dog passed away this week.  Bród, one of President Higgins' two Bernese mountain dogs, died at the age of 11.  

51b496ca495242389f76f820963fb417.jpg&f=1

Dick Dastardly
17 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Surely this dog wasn't in this condition for 'weeks' while no one did anything. I mean who wouldn't stop if you saw this.

Poor wee thing. Like you said, how could ahe be left like that for weeks? 

President Higgins is fond of Bernese mountain dogs, and still has a younger dog called Misneach - who likes being the centre of attention.

Japan Jambo
4 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Ireland's best-known dog passed away this week.  Bród, one of President Higgins' two Bernese mountain dogs, died at the age of 11.  

51b496ca495242389f76f820963fb417.jpg&f=1

Good age for a Berner, fine looking dog.

jack D and coke

Year ago today my folks wee lad died…

18 he was. 

Some caper the wee man was.

First time in my life there hasn’t been a dog in my family. 
I’d love to get another one but so tying.

I hate when they go too…

IMG_5432.jpeg

Edited by jack D and coke

1 minute ago, jack D and coke said:

Year ago today my folks wee lad died…

18 he was. 

Some caper the wee man was.

First time in my life there hasn’t been a dog in my family. 
I’d love to get another one but so tying.

I hate when they go to. 

IMG_5432.jpeg

Great picture loon. 😍

jack D and coke
2 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Great picture loon. 😍

Great wee guy he was. 
Herts daft as you can see🇱🇻🥰😂

4 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Great wee guy he was. 
Herts daft as you can see🇱🇻🥰😂

Gorgie as **** 😎

jack D and coke
2 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Gorgie as **** 😎

You had to see the wee guy when I went into my ma’s…when he was a bit younger anyway. 

He ran round the walls man :lol: 

I’d never liked Jack Russells till him. 
Some laddie…

12 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

You had to see the wee guy when I went into my ma’s…when he was a bit younger anyway. 

He ran round the walls man :lol: 

I’d never liked Jack Russells till him. 
Some laddie…

Dogs are class , see plenty out working and they put a smile on your face. I miss my boy but I don’t think I’d have another, as you say it ties you down. Big commitment and a lot of folk get one and don’t look after them properly. Not fair. 

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, Irufushi said:

Dogs are class , see plenty out working and they put a smile on your face. I miss my boy but I don’t think I’d have another, as you say it ties you down. Big commitment and a lot of folk get one and don’t look after them properly. Not fair. 

I sort of make it my goal to get pals with every dog I meet :lol: just magic animals. 
Im thinking you’ve got the time for one now again pal no???

Yir part time😀

3 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

I sort of make it my goal to get pals with every dog I meet :lol: just magic animals. 
Im thinking you’ve got the time for one now again pal no???

Yir part time😀

Im full time, I never stop pal . 😂

• 1 month later...
mrmarkus1981_1

Lost one of my dogs this morning. He wasn't even 3 years old, a cracking wee border terrier.

Was diagnosed with heart failure in August 2022, which is unheard of in this breed. They gave him 6 - 18 months but he gave up his fight, sadly.

I'll miss him terribly. Knowing it was coming has really helped though, i think. 

:love:

FB_IMG_1620830172859.jpg

Sooperstar
54 minutes ago, mrmarkus1981_1 said:

Lost one of my dogs this morning. He wasn't even 3 years old, a cracking wee border terrier.

Was diagnosed with heart failure in August 2022, which is unheard of in this breed. They gave him 6 - 18 months but he gave up his fight, sadly.

I'll miss him terribly. Knowing it was coming has really helped though, i think. 

FB_IMG_1620830172859.jpg

Sorry to hear that. He looks like a great, happy wee thing. 

56 minutes ago, mrmarkus1981_1 said:

FB_IMG_1620830172859.jpg

Sad news that. 

AlimOzturk

Miss owning a dog. Really do but I have had to many heart breaks over the years. 

Favourite breed is Pitbulls/Staffies but love all dogs. 

Unknown user
2 hours ago, mrmarkus1981_1 said:

FB_IMG_1620830172859.jpg

Sorry to hear that

FB_IMG_1620830172859.jpg

😢 Sorry to hear this, bud. 

FB_IMG_1620830172859.jpg

That’s so sad to read.  I’m genuinely sorry for you.

I’m by no means a dog fan (in fact I’m scared of them) but your wee one looks a lovely little fellow.

❤️

Psychedelicropcircle
1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

Miss owning a dog. Really do but I have had to many heart breaks over the years. 

Favourite breed is Pitbulls/Staffies but love all dogs. 

We call them a prestonpans poodle 🐩 

J.T.F.Robertson
4 hours ago, mrmarkus1981_1 said:

FB_IMG_1620830172859.jpg,

Lovely wee felly. Really sorry about that.

Wouldn't life be great if death wasn't at the end of it.

Lone Striker
4 hours ago, mrmarkus1981_1 said:

FB_IMG_1620830172859.jpg

Very sorry to hear about your loss.  He looks like a perfect wee pal.     Its impossible not to fall in love with a house  dog, even the wee rascals. 

My lurcher has a heart condition which is only going to get worse. She already can't be treated for anything under anaesthetic because her blood pressure drops to dangerous levels due to the heart not working properly.  A Catch-22.

Like they say though, your dogs are forever in your heart even after they're gone. 

That thing you do
On 27/09/2021 at 17:32, Naisys Tackle said:

After months and months of my dog being sad at 14 the vet has advised its time to go in on Wednesday for his injection.

His digestive system has went to pot.

What do you give your best pal?   

Been through this last summer when my dog dies aged 17. I held her head as she slipped away and she went very peacefully. 

All you can do is be in the moment with them. Its a horrible feeling, but it will comfort your dog.

All the best

Naisys Tackle
1 minute ago, That thing you do said:

Been through this last summer when my dog dies aged 17. I held her head as she slipped away and she went very peacefully. 

All you can do is be in the moment with them. Its a horrible feeling, but it will comfort your dog.

All the best

:)

AlimOzturk
9 hours ago, Psychedelicropcircle said:

We call them a prestonpans poodle 🐩 

Really good mutts. Had several over the years including previous ones deemed to agressive by previous owners and have all been loyal, gentle dogs. It really is down to the owners and how well loved and treated these dogs are. 

The dog I had which was the most challenging and literally couldn’t be around children or other dogs was a Jack Russell terrier. She was mental. 😂

Edited by AlimOzturk

There's an interesting documentary about how we turned wolves into dogs. It looks into an experiment, the silver fox experiment  that's been going on in Russia for over 60 years now. They started by wondering as I said how did we turn wolves into dogs.

They started with wolves and demonstrated that a wolf pup, even if taken from the pack at birth and entirely raised by humans, is not a dog. You cannot raise it to behave like a dog. You can for example train a pup not to try to get in about the fridge when you open it, a wolf pup will launch himself in there and cannot be trained not to. Among a lot of other things.

Wolf pups become pretty big pretty quickly and eat a lot, too difficult to handle and feed so they turned to these silver foxes. A lot smaller even as adults, easier to handle but real nasty little brutes.

They kept them in cages with a wire mesh they could see into and tried to decide which of these nasty vicious little brutes was even just slightly less nasty than the rest. They selected them, bred them, repeat with the next generation and so on.

Foxes have pointy ears and a straight tail, check this pic of what they had made the foxes look like after just 10 years selectively breeding for only tameness. Floppy ears like a dog, and curly tails soon followed as they kept it going generation after generation breeding for nothing but tameness.

ezgif-4-8a6a97f5b4.jpg

Link to a paper about the experiment.

https://evolution-outreach.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12052-018-0090-x

Armageddon
22 hours ago, mrmarkus1981_1 said:

FB_IMG_1620830172859.jpg

Awww man sorry to hear that :(  

Absolutely dreading the day, ours is 8 this year and the best thing to happen to our family, an example would be we no longer argue as she goes nuts if anyone raises a voice at each other!

Dugs man, the greatest thing on this earth.

henrysmithsgloves

Feel your pain lost a fair few over the years,last one was especially bad at only eight years old,🥺. Got another dog ,I find helps eases the pain

Psychedelicropcircle
16 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Really good mutts. Had several over the years including previous ones deemed to agressive by previous owners and have all been loyal, gentle dogs. It really is down to the owners and how well loved and treated these dogs are. 

The dog I had which was the most challenging and literally couldn’t be around children or other dogs was a Jack Russell terrier. She was mental. 😂

Agreed on all 👍

Dog Jumps Out of Window of Burning House

When his family’s Pennsylvania home went up in flames, Charlie the dog found himself trapped. At the urging of firefighters below, the brave canine had to leap to safety from an upper story window. Charlie suffered burns in the blaze, and a short while later was recovering with an IV drip and nasal oxygen in an animal hospital. Though the family’s house was destroyed, they’re relieved that they still have Charlie.

Konrad von Carstein
On 31/05/2023 at 12:38, Armageddon said:

Awww man sorry to hear that :(  

Absolutely dreading the day, ours is 8 this year and the best thing to happen to our family, an example would be we no longer argue as she goes nuts if anyone raises a voice at each other!

Dugs man, the greatest thing on this earth.

Ours leaves the room if we slightly raise our voices, even if we are just mucking about...

Sooperstar
2 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Dog Jumps Out of Window of Burning House

When his family’s Pennsylvania home went up in flames, Charlie the dog found himself trapped. At the urging of firefighters below, the brave canine had to leap to safety from an upper story window. Charlie suffered burns in the blaze, and a short while later was recovering with an IV drip and nasal oxygen in an animal hospital. Though the family’s house was destroyed, they’re relieved that they still have Charlie.

The hose won't go any further. FFS, I pray to the non-existent God that I'm never involved in a fire in the States. 

5 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

The hose won't go any further. FFS, I pray to the non-existent God that I'm never involved in a fire in the States. 

His yelps before jumping are heartbreaking, he's burning.

Konrad von Carstein
30 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

"Guss" is getting picked up next weekend, another chapter begins.

IMG-20230601-WA0000~2.jpg

:wub:

1 hour ago, Dawnrazor said:

"Guss" is getting picked up next weekend, another chapter begins.

IMG-20230601-WA0000~2.jpg

Aw man.  :wub:  ❤️ :dog: