Devlin

Homme

Despite not starting, I think we seem enough of him today to judge what type of player he is and what he can offer us. I thought it was a very solid debut from him. He steadied the ship in a game which was starting to get away from us. I think he will be in the starting 11 next week based on that.

Early days of course but what do we all think?

Edited by Homme

24 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

Everyone was raving about Woodburn last week

This week he’s, apparently gash

Place is a madhouse just now 

That is utter nonsense. He started at CM today and he isn’t a CM. Folk just jump in - 2 feet. He will be an absolute standout in the SPL this season.

4 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

That is utter nonsense. He started at CM today and he isn’t a CM. Folk just jump in - 2 feet. He will be an absolute standout in the SPL this season.

It’s unbelievable what some come out with.  Embarrasing 

4 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

My friend who is a Liverpool fan messaged me after he signed for us to say that he was really interested how he got on as he really rated him but he isn't an attacker and hoped we played him in midfield. 

1 minute ago, Saint Jambo said:

My friend who is a Liverpool fan messaged me after he signed for us to say that he was really interested how he got on as he really rated him but he isn't an attacker and hoped we played him in midfield. 

That is interesting. By all accounts when he came here I had read that he was an out and out attacking midfielder (centre) but could also play either side IE right and left wing - at a push, up top. Obviously your mate will have said what he said for a reason. He has the attacking capability but just not sure if he can defend in the cm position or if that’s his game 

5 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

It’s unbelievable what some come out with.  Embarrasing 

Last week he was being lauded as a coup and rightly so. In the space of 7 days …. Mental. 

I think he looks like a good SPL-type player - lots of energy and some bite. He'll be fine. 

I'm a little concerned about how we were trying to get Woodburn and Boyce into the same team today. If Boyce wants to be a 10 then he needs to learn to play with someone else. Today it was Gnando he was pretty much ignoring. On plus side Boyce wasn't slowing things down as much as he was last week. Is there a reason Boyce didn't want the 9 shirt? To me it would be better if Boyce or Gnando was our 9 and Woodburn or Walker tucked in behind at 10 but TBH I don't really see Boyce as a 10...

9 minutes ago, japanjambo said:

Wee man looks to be a pretty decent addition. 

Liked the way he came into the back four to take the ball, and also getting close to players with the ball to give them an option.

Looks a decent SPFL type player from that cameo.

What we were missing in the first half, a little bit but not too much, was someone from the midfield coming deep wanting the ball. Haring normally does this and Devlin done it when he came on and we controlled the majority of the possession after that point. Difference with Haring is he seems to have a great ending for the box to box element. Also showed a bit of the Baningime by toe poking the ball away a few times. Going forward I want Baningime and Devlin as our central two.

Edited by BackOfTheNet

Liked him a lot. Showed clear leadership skills on the park and wasn't shy at letting anyone in either side know what he was thinking. Got about the park well. Think he'll be very good for us 

Jambof3tornado
30 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

Saw some of the BBC Alba coverage. He was shouting at folk. I like gobby players. Shows they give a ****!

1st thing I noticed, him pointing and mouthing at team mates.

Still want to see mceneff get games too but devlin looked to grab his chance today.

30 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

Saw some of the BBC Alba coverage. He was shouting at folk. I like gobby players. Shows they give a ****!

yep. he'll be nipping plenty players ears especially if they're not pulling their weight and don't think he'll be too shy if the opposition players try to take any liberties. It's only first impressions for half an hour so but he seems the type of player we have needed for ages. Typical Aussie - looks a winner

I liked the look of Devlin. He’ll be a great addition to the squad. 

I would still be persisting with Beni/Haring partnership which I think is the core to this team at the moment. Shocked they didn’t start together today to be honest. (Particularly with Moore playing as a make-shift right back who could have done with that protection).

Edited by E3OBE

Howdy Doody Jambo

So do we have Benni and Devlin as a 2 with Woodburn as a no10 in the hole 🕳 we've got right good options with Haliday, McEneff and Haring this season no excuses not to finish it the top 4

1 hour ago, Jamhammer said:

Everyone was raving about Woodburn last week

This week he’s, apparently gash

Place is a madhouse just now 

Woodburn wasn’t great today. He isnt gash though and no one on the entire board has said so.

I thought Devlin looked really good in the time he was on. He’ll be starting soon I would think.

Edited by JimmyCant

Just now, JimmyCant said:

Woodburn wasn’t great today. He isnt gash though and no one on the entire board has said so.

Exactly :lol:

Clearly a good player but he was the weakest attacking link today. 

1 hour ago, Russ1977 said:

I thought he was very good. Positive with and without the ball and definitely improved us when he came on. 

That's an important point.  Johan Cruyff once said that statistically, a player has the ball for 3 minutes on average per game.  It's what the player does in the 87 minutes when he doesn't have the ball that distinguishes a good player.

Just now, The Maroon Pound said:

So do we have Benni and Devlin as a 2 with Woodburn as a no10 in the hole 🕳 we've got right good options with Haliday, McEneff and Haring this season no excuses not to finish it the top 4

Not for me. Beni/Haring is the core to this team. Devlin’s got to work his way into that. Don’t know if Haring was left out for a reason today (a knock or something) but it was a noticeable difference not having Haring in there today.

1 minute ago, E3OBE said:

Not for me. Beni/Haring is the core to this team. Devlin’s got to work his way into that. Don’t know if Haring was left out for a reason today (a knock or something) but it was a noticeable difference not having Haring in there today.

I’d counter and say not for me🙂.  Haring will become a good squad player, he’ll be decent against most of the less mobile, intense sides in the SPL but is starting to toil in faster matches.  

It’s been well discussed in the last couple of weeks. He’s too ploddy in possession and Beni needs someone with the same mobility as him, someone more proactive on the ball and off and who can carry it up the pitch.  As I said, I’m not saying he can’t be part of Hearts squad, I just think we need to keep improving everything about the team. 

Pace, perception, mobility....

7 minutes ago, E3OBE said:

Was it not just noticeable because we played with pretty much one holding midfielder as opposed to two?

6 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

I’d counter and say not for me🙂.  Haring will become a good squad player, he’ll be decent against most of the less mobile, intense sides in the SPL but is starting to toil in faster matches.  

It’s been well discussed in the last couple of weeks. He’s too ploddy in possession and Beni needs someone with the same mobility as him, someone more proactive on the ball and off and who can carry it up the pitch.  As I said, I’m not saying he can’t be part of Hearts squad, I just think we need to keep improving everything about the team. 

Maybe, I’m basing this on the start we’ve made to this season. Seems harsh to be tinkering with your centre midfield.

Our front three need to do more for me and ideally our wingbacks (that’s the area we really need to look at going forward if we want to step up another level)

7 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Was it not just noticeable because we played with pretty much one holding midfielder as opposed to two?

Possibly mate, just think he brings a massive amount of composure to our team. Lacked it at key points today. 

11 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Agreed - All of Haring, Smith and Boyce were very clearly slowing down moves against Hibs...

2 hours ago, Homme said:

Despite not starting, I think we seem enough of him today to judge what type of player he is and what he can offer us. I thought it was a very solid debut from him. He steadied the ship in a game which was starting to get away from us. I think he will be in the starting 11 next week based on that.

Couldn't agree more, will be surprised if he doesn't start against Livi, thought we had much control of the game when he came on. Also thought Woodburn and McKay linked up pretty well and should start again against Livi.

2 hours ago, Homme said:

Tinkering Nelson has to see your points??

Not be surprised if Devy is on the bench next week. 

Like the boys attitude, shouts and gets in players faces.   Even Soapy was rattled that he told him to calm doon..?? 

3 minutes ago, gavvy said:

Couldn't agree more, will be surprised if he doesn't start against Livi, thought we had much control of the game when he came on. Also thought Woodburn and McKay linked up pretty well and should start again against Livi.

Fax this to Nelson and demand as a paying supporter of his wages you want his thoughts on this. 

2 hours ago, Hearts1975 said:

Who stuck him in there to begin with? Oh yes.....

3 hours ago, Spellczech said:

I think he looks like a good SPL-type player - lots of energy and some bite. He'll be fine. 

I'm a little concerned about how we were trying to get Woodburn and Boyce into the same team today. If Boyce wants to be a 10 then he needs to learn to play with someone else. Today it was Gnando he was pretty much ignoring. On plus side Boyce wasn't slowing things down as much as he was last week. Is there a reason Boyce didn't want the 9 shirt? To me it would be better if Boyce or Gnando was our 9 and Woodburn or Walker tucked in behind at 10 but TBH I don't really see Boyce as a 10...

Gnando? not convinced about him,looks like a league to far for him.

14 minutes ago, jamborich said:

Haring should never have been dropped 

It's a tricky call to make for the next game as Beni (can't drop, he's been great) Haring and Devlin have a good case to play. We can't accommodate all 3 though?

Devlin looked lively. Maybe a better version of Bozanic or Ryan Edwards?

No idea why Haring didn't play at all today but for me a decent half hour sub appearance from Devlin still isn't enough to supplant Haring who has been really good all season paired with Beni.

I honestly just want Haring to get the credit he's due and I don't understand why he has so many doubters and people considering him a "weak link".

Our team has looked far more composed ever since he came on 2nd half vs Celtic at Tynecastle. That's no coincidence.

2 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

It's a tricky call to make for the next game as Beni (can't drop, he's been great) Haring and Devlin have a good case to play. We can't accommodate all 3 though?

Haring has a better case to play than Devlin and I don't think it's particularly close.

As I said in a prior comment, one decent half hour cameo doesn't outshine Haring's performances this season. Haring was really coming onto his game vs Utd and Hibs.

It's an interesting dilemma, how to accommodate Beni, Devlin and Haring into a midfield when we are playing 3-4-3, so 2 of the 4 in the middle are wing backs and only 2 places for CMs.

It could be possible if we varied the formation for some games, went 4-4-2 with a diamond midfield, Haring at the base and Woodburn at the top with Benni and Devlin in the centre.  We'd need attacking full backs to give us width going forward though.

Robbie does seem to favour a back 3 though, so it will be interesting to see how things develop as the new guys start to bed in fully.

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Beni arrived and started in midfield without having proved himself ahead of other potential starters in there. That worked out pretty well.

I like Haring but Devlin is a more modern midfielder and will blend perfectly with Beni IMO and will be a stronger paring.