Devlin

Homme

Tom Hardy’s Dug
12 minutes ago, RobNox said:

It's an interesting dilemma, how to accommodate Beni, Devlin and Haring into a midfield when we are playing 3-4-3, so 2 of the 4 in the middle are wing backs and only 2 places for CMs.

It could be possible if we varied the formation for some games, went 4-4-2 with a diamond midfield, Haring at the base and Woodburn at the top with Benni and Devlin in the centre.  We'd need attacking full backs to give us width going forward though.

Robbie does seem to favour a back 3 though, so it will be interesting to see how things develop as the new guys start to bed in fully.

It’s not a matter of accommodating players IMO. If Devlin shows up better than Haring he’s in the team. Haring wasn’t a starter in our first league game and he got in. Same will go for Devlin if he proves himself.

To add to my previous post, it's nice to be in a position where we are debating how to accommodate players into the team and making cases for players not to be dropped, as opposed to moaning about having to rely on players who simply aren't good enough for the first team, as has been the case in recent seasons.

It does look as if we are creating genuine competition for places in a number of positions, and hopefully that continues.  Up front is my main concern, we do seem to be over reliant on Boyce and don't create or convert enough chances when we are in the ascendency.

7 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

It’s not a matter of accommodating players IMO. If Devlin shows up better than Haring he’s in the team. Haring wasn’t a starter in our first league game and he got in. Same will go for Devlin if he proves himself.

I'd agree, if 3-4-3 is the preferred formation, then it's two from Benni, Haring or Devlin in CM, and on current form Benni is guaranteed one of those places.  I was only putting forward a scenario where it might be possible for all 3 to feature, but that would mean a departure from what appears to be Robbie's preferred formation.

While I am a fan of Haring, I have a feeling that if Devlin lives up to expectations, then it will be him and Benni as first choices, Haring as an option off the bench, who can also cover in central defence.  It's a sign of progress being made if we end up with Haring as a squad player, when he previously would have been one of the first names on the team sheet.

11 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

I’d counter and say not for me🙂.  Haring will become a good squad player, he’ll be decent against most of the less mobile, intense sides in the SPL but is starting to toil in faster matches.  

It’s been well discussed in the last couple of weeks. He’s too ploddy in possession and Beni needs someone with the same mobility as him, someone more proactive on the ball and off and who can carry it up the pitch.  As I said, I’m not saying he can’t be part of Hearts squad, I just think we need to keep improving everything about the team. 

Pace, perception, mobility....

Devlin has been signed as a direct replacement for Haring in my opinion. We won’t see much of Haring this season I wouldn’t have thought. He won’t be first pick unless the system changes drastically. Devlin really looks the part so Haring will be used sparingly and will be moving on next summer

One.Night.In.Basel

I hope yesterday Puts an end to the folk screaming for one of the centre mids to be an attacking player. Yesterday proved it has to be 2 solid cm's, beni/haring/devlin or holiday at a push. Having jusy one gave beni too much to do on his own which let County get through alot. Also it exposed the defence, making it look like the stendel days when we never had a solid midfield. 

...andFulton'sBaggio

Peter Haring is immense. I'm so pleased for him getting back to something like top form after a horrendous - and weirdly mysterious! - injury. He was out for almost two years which is a crazy amount of time for a footballer. I'm hoping he didn't play on Saturday as a precaution to look after his fitness.

Great to hear that Devlin's cameo was full of running, energy, picking up the ball from the back four and moving it forwards. It's even better to hear that he's vocal and has that Aussie winning mentality. That's just what we need in the squad, in the dressing room and out on the pitch.

Welcome to Hearts, Cammy! ❤

11 hours ago, ford donald said:

Gnando? not convinced about him,looks like a league to far for him.

I agree. Not convinced by him at all so far. However, at least you can see that he is trying to play as main striker.

Boyce, I'm not sure about - I think he is a main striker but it just seems like he sees himself as a 10 or in a free role, but he never seems to even try to link up with any other striker we try to play alongside him...Perhaps he doesn't trust our wingers to find him in the middle or he just wants to contribute more, but I was a bit confused by his play today (despite the goal)

9 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Correct. 

Beni and Devlin will be our main pairing this season.

i think so. Like there’s have said.. plenty of room for Haring, they won’t play every 90 mins.. and Haring can also play CB

15 hours ago, Hearts1975 said:

That is utter nonsense. He started at CM today and he isn’t a CM. Folk just jump in - 2 feet. He will be an absolute standout in the SPL this season.

Woodburn is a class act and he is a step above most of the players we have.

2 hours ago, One.Night.In.Basel said:

I hope yesterday Puts an end to the folk screaming for one of the centre mids to be an attacking player. Yesterday proved it has to be 2 solid cm's, beni/haring/devlin or holiday at a push. Having jusy one gave beni too much to do on his own which let County get through alot. Also it exposed the defence, making it look like the stendel days when we never had a solid midfield. 

Yesterday didn’t prove that at all. It maybe proved we need two central midfielders but no need for them both to be primarily defensive midfielders. We really need more in an attacking sense coming from the middle of the park and I’m glad Neilson seems to recognise this. 

Edited by GinRummy

11 hours ago, RobNox said:

It's an interesting dilemma, how to accommodate Beni, Devlin and Haring into a midfield when we are playing 3-4-3, so 2 of the 4 in the middle are wing backs and only 2 places for CMs.

It could be possible if we varied the formation for some games, went 4-4-2 with a diamond midfield, Haring at the base and Woodburn at the top with Benni and Devlin in the centre.  We'd need attacking full backs to give us width going forward though.

Robbie does seem to favour a back 3 though, so it will be interesting to see how things develop as the new guys start to bed in fully.

No Halliday?

One.Night.In.Basel
13 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Yesterday didn’t prove that at all. It maybe proved we need two central midfielders but no need for them both to be primarily defensive midfielders. We really need more in an attacking sense coming from the middle of the park and I’m glad Neilson seems to recognise this. 

In a 343 the 2 cms need to be more holding mid/defensive minded. They give cover when the wbs are upfield. The creativity comes from the wbs and the front 3. That's how we have played the system everytime untill yesterday. Look at most teams that successfully play this system, they will all have 2 holding mids.

1 minute ago, One.Night.In.Basel said:

In a 343 the 2 cms need to be more holding mid/defensive minded. They give cover when the wbs are upfield. The creativity comes from the wbs and the front 3. That's how we have played the system everytime untill yesterday. Look at most teams that successfully play this system, they will all have 2 holding mids.

We played a back 4 yesterday so weren’t playing the same system. We can’t have two holding mids because our wing backs are not good enough in the final third, on a good day providing maybe 2 good crosses between them. Then, with nothing coming through the middle either just who is providing the service to our forwards?

15 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

No Halliday?

He's in the same boat as McEneff for now. Quite far down the pecking order and going to have to be patient and take their chances when they come along.

One.Night.In.Basel
1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

We played a back 4 yesterday so weren’t playing the same system. We can’t have two holding mids because our wing backs are not good enough in the final third, on a good day providing maybe 2 good crosses between them. Then, with nothing coming through the middle either just who is providing the service to our forwards?

Like I said the the creativity is upto the wbs and the front 3. But we don't necessarily need crosses into the box, apart from yesterday with gnando starting we don't have many thats going to get on the end of of crosses. All we need is our wbs to be further forward to provid cut backs or coming in at the back post, like you see alot of from the good teams that play 343. But my mistake on yesterday's formation though. From what I saw of it it looked to be 3 at the back at times, i am in Cyprus just now though so the stream wasn't reliable so must have missed more than I saw.

4 minutes ago, One.Night.In.Basel said:

Like I said the the creativity is upto the wbs and the front 3. But we don't necessarily need crosses into the box, apart from yesterday with gnando starting we don't have many thats going to get on the end of of crosses. All we need is our wbs to be further forward to provid cut backs or coming in at the back post, like you see alot of from the good teams that play 343. But my mistake on yesterday's formation though. From what I saw of it it looked to be 3 at the back at times, i am in Cyprus just now though so the stream wasn't reliable so must have missed more than I saw.

Aye fair enough. For me the wing backs just don’t produce enough in the final third. That’s an issue that needs resolved, I don’t think it can be fixed with our current squad so we need to support the front three another way. Just imo obviously and only talking about when we play 3 at the back. 

53 minutes ago, cocobeab said:

Haring was bought as a centre half when it became apparent he could play a bit he was moulded into a holding midfielder. 

Haring wasn't bought at all.  He was a free and played both CH and MF for previous clubs.

One.Night.In.Basel
4 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Aye fair enough. For me the wing backs just don’t produce enough in the final third. That’s an issue that needs resolved, I don’t think it can be fixed with our current squad so we need to support the front three another way. Just imo obviously and only talking about when we play 3 at the back. 

Yeah you're right they're not doing enough, a way to possibly get more out of them would be if their starting positions where a bit further upfield and then not just trying to punt the ball in the box from deep. In theory with our wbs pushing right up that stops the other teams wbs/fb pushing up. Obviously you need to be brave to play this way as with your wbs right up there's a risk of getting countered but that's where the 2 holding mids come into it they sit back, almost into the back 3 pushing the 2 cbs out, creating your normal back 5. Just imo of course. I just feel we a have improved so much with this formation, a few tweeks could make it really click. 

18 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Beni arrived and started in midfield without having proved himself ahead of other potential starters in there. That worked out pretty well.

I like Haring but Devlin is a more modern midfielder and will blend perfectly with Beni IMO and will be a stronger paring.

What does that even mean?

And how could you possibly know that after about 20 minutes of him playing?

I hope he starts on Saturday to a raucous reception and plays a blinder.

We might just have a gem on our hands.

I also hope Souttar finds his pen this week.

I would favour Beni and Haring in the Middle, think Devlin would fit in on right of midfield as it looks like he has the energy to get forward and to track back if needed.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
30 minutes ago, moonraker said:

I would favour Beni and Haring in the Middle, think Devlin would fit in on right of midfield as it looks like he has the energy to get forward and to track back if needed.

We don’t play with a right midfielder.

Do you mean RWB?

1 hour ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

We don’t play with a right midfielder.

Do you mean RWB?

I think thats the problem. People might call  it a wingback but it is not necessarily so.  People get hung up on labels. If its 3-4-3 the 4  are midfield players, the wider players may have to get up and back more than the central players but they can be either mainly defensive, mainly attacking or they can be a mixture. I believe Devlin could be one who is a mixture. If you play full backs (Smith) you lack attacking variation. If you play a traditional winger there (Ginelly) you leave yourself exposed. A hard working midfield type might give us a lire balanced approach. Iguess an alternative is to go for  a defensive player on one side, a more attacking one on the other.

On 18/09/2021 at 21:07, The Maroon Pound said:

So do we have Benni and Devlin as a 2 with Woodburn as a no10 in the hole 🕳 we've got right good options with Haliday, McEneff and Haring this season no excuses not to finish it the top 4

Yep. Beni and Devlin with any three from Boyce, Gnando, McKay, Woodburn, Gino, GMS and Walker in front.  Halliday and McEneff’s versatility make them good squad players as cover.  

Against the OF, throw Haring in to make it a three and sacrifice one of the AMs.  

Edited by gashauskis9

HeartsandonlyHearts
5 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

I hope he starts on Saturday to a raucous reception and plays a blinder.

We might just have a gem on our hands.

I also hope Souttar finds his pen this week.

Not getting a warm fuzzy feeling regarding the signing of a new contract right now. Hope I’m wrong and it doesn’t turn into one of the “see out the contract or sell on the cheap in January” that is the new norm lately.

4 hours ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

Not getting a warm fuzzy feeling regarding the signing of a new contract right now. Hope I’m wrong and it doesn’t turn into one of the “see out the contract or sell on the cheap in January” that is the new norm lately.

He didn’t seem himself at the weekend. Silly things like when he was trying to curb devlin’s enthusiasm. 
it could and hopefully will be other things unrelated to his contract situation 

I think if it was a case of just the club and Soapy discussing the deal it would get signed. However I am sure Soapy (through no fault of his own” will have so called “advisors” putting their tuppence worth in. 

Who knows. I think an agreement would be fair for both parties as long as we aren’t tying him to something long term and if he needs the guarantee of being able to make a choice to leave as and when it becomes available. 

At the same time we have supported him (rightly so) through his unfortunate multiple injuries that he has suffered. I hope he will consider this and not just leave on a pre contract as I don’t think we would get anything for him as the development fee won’t apply due to his age ? Even if it did, it would be a fraction of what he is worth without knowing the detail behind it 

Think Devlin could be a key signing. What we really need is an all-round central midfielder. 

we’ve had lots of debate about AMs and DMs within the 343 set up. If we have two players who can do a bit of everything, that automatically balances the side. Benni is great at Breaking up play but is also passes accurately and can carry the ball forward well. 

If Devlin can match his athleticism and get in about the box as well, that lets the midfield four move up quickly as a unit and start working overloads which will lead to goals. 

4 hours ago, Hearts1975 said:

He didn’t seem himself at the weekend. Silly things like when he was trying to curb devlin’s enthusiasm. 
it could and hopefully will be other things unrelated to his contract situation 

I think if it was a case of just the club and Soapy discussing the deal it would get signed. However I am sure Soapy (through no fault of his own” will have so called “advisors” putting their tuppence worth in. 

Who knows. I think an agreement would be fair for both parties as long as we aren’t tying him to something long term and if he needs the guarantee of being able to make a choice to leave as and when it becomes available. 

At the same time we have supported him (rightly so) through his unfortunate multiple injuries that he has suffered. I hope he will consider this and not just leave on a pre contract as I don’t think we would get anything for him as the development fee won’t apply due to his age ? Even if it did, it would be a fraction of what he is worth without knowing the detail behind it 

He also has a younger brother playing for Stoke who will no doubt be earning a lot more than we can afford to pay him.

With his injury history it would make sense for him to move now before his next injury.

The club have been good to him but as we all know football is a relatively short career and players need to make the most of it and loyalty probably goes out the window.

In an ideal world he will sign a new two year deal on the best we can afford with a sell on clause that he can be released for a decent fee.

46 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

He also has a younger brother playing for Stoke who will no doubt be earning a lot more than we can afford to pay him.

With his injury history it would make sense for him to move now before his next injury.

The club have been good to him but as we all know football is a relatively short career and players need to make the most of it and loyalty probably goes out the window.

In an ideal world he will sign a new two year deal on the best we can afford with a sell on clause that he can be released for a decent fee.

True re his brother. It won’t be long till the end of the year. Hopefully what happens is what you said in your last paragraph. 

4 hours ago, CMc said:

Think Devlin could be a key signing. What we really need is an all-round central midfielder. 

we’ve had lots of debate about AMs and DMs within the 343 set up. If we have two players who can do a bit of everything, that automatically balances the side. Benni is great at Breaking up play but is also passes accurately and can carry the ball forward well. 

If Devlin can match his athleticism and get in about the box as well, that lets the midfield four move up quickly as a unit and start working overloads which will lead to goals. 

Think he will come deep to get the ball and move it around. Start attacking moves. Recycle and break up opposition possession.

Not really sure if he is a get in the opposition box type player and from what I have heard. 

17 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

True re his brother. It won’t be long till the end of the year. Hopefully what happens is what you said in your last paragraph. 

If he has any loyalty to how well the club has treated him then this is what he should do but then money talks.

1 minute ago, wavydavy said:

If he has any loyalty to how well the club has treated him then this is what he should do but then money talks.

It does but I guess in his head I’m hoping he may be thinking more about getting games under his belt and not getting injured again.

If he can stay injury free for 12 - 18 months or so, rack up a good number of games, that may be a better time to make a move. Hopefully he commits on this basis. It’s a short career and he has to do what is best for him and his family. We have to recognise that. 

6 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

It does but I guess in his head I’m hoping he may be thinking more about getting games under his belt and not getting injured again.

If he can stay injury free for 12 - 18 months or so, rack up a good number of games, that may be a better time to make a move. Hopefully he commits on this basis. It’s a short career and he has to do what is best for him and his family. We have to recognise that. 

I agree. He may also get back into the Scotland squad which would help his career assuming he plays well.

Fozzyonthefence
17 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

How has the club treated him well?

9 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

How has the club treated him well?

By giving him a contract extension after he had been out for some time with injuries.

Fozzyonthefence
12 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

By giving him a contract extension after he had been out for some time with injuries.

He was back playing again though wasn’t he, therefore, a marketable asset.  I doubt the club did this out of sentiment.  Do you think we would have done that if he had been injured at the time?  I suspect we would’ve have done what Sunderland did with Gordon and just cut their losses and not renew the contract (he then didn’t play again for 2 years).  The club may have gone above and beyond in other ways, I don’t know, but they were contractually obliged to support him while he was out injured. 

51 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

He was back playing again though wasn’t he, therefore, a marketable asset.  I doubt the club did this out of sentiment.  Do you think we would have done that if he had been injured at the time?  I suspect we would’ve have done what Sunderland did with Gordon and just cut their losses and not renew the contract (he then didn’t play again for 2 years).  The club may have gone above and beyond in other ways, I don’t know, but they were contractually obliged to support him while he was out injured. 

He was after being out with a hip injury. He was only just back though when we offered him the contract extension.

You obviously don't see it the way I do so no point in debating as we will just disagree it seems.

HeartsandonlyHearts
1 hour ago, wavydavy said:

As a previous poster stated, voices from all around him in both his ears giving him advice. Right or wrong.
Agents hate loyalty. It usually costs THEM money.  Hearts have obviously stood by him but that is now history and may mean $#!t come January.

The more I think about it I think we will see Haring and Devlin in equal amounts. Whoever starts will likely be told to run themselves into the ground before a straightforward substitution is made, then the sub does the same.

Beni is Beni and has to be considered undroppable at this stage.

On 19/09/2021 at 13:26, JamboAl said:

Haring wasn't bought at all.  He was a free and played both CH and MF for previous clubs.

My bad; poor use of ‘bought’ when I meant brought in. 
Seem to recall he made his debut down at Dumbarton pre season and talk in the stands that day was that he was a CH. Fairly sure he played there that day but bow to your greater knowledge re his previous roles (genuinely, that’s not sarcy)