Jump to content

The Fear of Losing


Italian Lambretta

Recommended Posts

JimKongUno

Bollocks man. It was end to end. Both teams were going for it but both keepers were on it. It was a good game 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Pasquale for King

    54

  • GinRummy

    48

  • 160598

    14

  • Smith's right boot

    14

KyleLafferty

If the wingbacks do their job properly it’s a very attacking formation. Cochrane gets forward a lot, Smith needs to improve. I’m not Neilsons biggest fan but we’ve played well every league game this season

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

That comment says what is wrong with modern football. In today's game players are not allowed to think for themselves anymore. Must do the coaches/ managers instructions to the letter or else. What's wrong with players sorting out issues on the pitch themselves?

 

 

I never said that and I’m not a modern fan.  If there’s a problem, it’s the managers job to spot it and sort.  
 

Managers affect teams. But that could be anything.  Mindset, system, tactics.

 

I want nothing more than players being able to think for themselves these days. 
 

That’s why they’re professionals. The team I grew up with where like that. But it’s naive to think a manager doesn’t influence a football team. 

Edited by Debut 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
John Findlay
3 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

I never said that and I’m not a modern fan.  If there’s a problem, it’s the managers job to spot it and sort.  
 

Managers affect teams. But that could be anything.  Mindset, system, tactics.

 

I want nothing more than players being able to think for themselves these days. 
 

That’s why they’re professionals. The team I grew up with where like that. But it’s naive to think a manager doesn’t influence a football team. 

For me not much after a game has started. He gets half-time, for me during a game players can sort it out for themselves.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Greedy Jambo

We have improved, but only because John Murray has retired and we've finally sorted the the recruitment out. 

Robbie Neilson is still the same bang average manager.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jamboman9 said:

We'll have more draws than wins this season and be comfortable in mid table.

Dull dull dull.

When does Nando get a proper chance? We are so predictable with Boyce and he can't last 90 mins.....he works hard for sure, but a bit of a donkey for me!

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

For me not much after a game has started. He gets half-time, for me during a game players can sort it out for themselves.

👍🏻  Fully agree. But managers are taking that responsibility away from players. It used to breed a proper competitive environment in squads. 
 

Now it’s buck passing.  But the point stands, a manager sets out the team and picks the players he thinks are good enough. 

Edited by Debut 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
John Findlay
Just now, Debut 4 said:

👍🏻  Fully agree. But managers are taking that responsibility away from players. It used to breed a proper competitive environment in squads. 
 

Now it’s buck passing.  But the point stands, a manager sets out the team, pick the players he thinks are good enough. 

No problem 

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Jambos1983 said:

But he keeps picking Smith there? Right of a midfield 4 and he picks a right back?

It's not right midfield. It's RWB. It's a completely different position that is almost always filled by full backs.

 

Look at any other team that plays 3 at the back.

 

To look at that team and say its 2 defensive midfielders and 2 defenders playing in midfield, is to not understand how the formation works.

 

The point that is true though is that Smith is not good enough. Not because he is 'defensively minded' - he spent most of the 2nd half pushed forward - it's because he doesn't have great attacking attributes.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

We had 16 shots at goal and 11 corners. Neilson set us up really well today. 

Created one clear opportunity.

 

Too many primarily defensive players on show for my liking and that showed in chances created.

Link to post
Share on other sites
John Findlay

If we had a fear of losing then we wouldn't be sitting with won three and Drawn two. We would have lost 3/4 by now. A team with a fear of losing, inevitably lose the majority of their games.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Days like today good for identifying the clueless. Actually the opposite, left ourselves too prone to the counter attack 

Link to post
Share on other sites
pettigrewsstylist
2 hours ago, Italian Lambretta said:

Sadly we have a manager who would rather play more defensive midfielders because he is shit scared of losing. It will be the same setup all season even against crap teams like the vermin.  We will go to Dingwall next week and it will the same too many defensive players and one striker. He needs to ditch this attitude sharpish and let the good players play or we're going know where. The midfield for the Ross county game should be Beni, Woodburn and McKay with Boyce and Nando up front.

Unfortunatley, thats how it looks to be shaping up :(

Link to post
Share on other sites
Tasavallan
1 hour ago, KyleLafferty said:

If the wingbacks do their job properly it’s a very attacking formation. Cochrane gets forward a lot, Smith needs to improve. I’m not Neilsons biggest fan but we’ve played well every league game this season

 

Smith is a 33 yrs-old right back.  Playing him at right wingback is playing him out of position.  He will put in a decent shift in this position but there may be better options for the position.  However, if Neilson is going to persist with a back three then playing RWB may be his position, he just needs to practice his crossing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Clerry Jambo
2 hours ago, Gambo said:

Far too cautious a manager for my (and many others) liking.

 

He has been given the tools to take the brakes off but will he utilise them.

This was always my worry with pep, has good enough squad to certainly grab 3rd but I’m not convinced he’s the man to take us there 

Link to post
Share on other sites
thecarnbeejambo

it would appear we have another manager who's attitude appears to be lets not lose... c.l. springs to mind...before k.o. i thought we had the players to cause them serious problems, however throwing a ball up to boyce was not getting anywhere yet we still persisted. this was robbies chance to show that we could put teams under pressure st home..we managed to do that a couple of times but never enough to give them serious problems...undefeated we may be but thats 4 points dropped at home against teams who we expect to be in the mix with us.. sorry robbie but its not really good enough..

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, thecarnbeejambo said:

it would appear we have another manager who's attitude appears to be lets not lose... c.l. springs to mind...before k.o. i thought we had the players to cause them serious problems, however throwing a ball up to boyce was not getting anywhere yet we still persisted. this was robbies chance to show that we could put teams under pressure st home..we managed to do that a couple of times but never enough to give them serious problems...undefeated we may be but thats 4 points dropped at home against teams who we expect to be in the mix with us.. sorry robbie but its not really good enough..


Baffled by views like this. People obviously watching a different game to me. 
 

We were well on top bar first ten minutes and the couple of chances they made on the break in the second half. 
 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Malinga the Swinga

Wouldn't matter if we had won 5-0 every game, a few of our support won't ever accept him being there, mostly for their own personal reasons.

Luckily there are only a few such people and they are drowned out by rest of our support.

They post on here a lot but still a tiny minority.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, thecarnbeejambo said:

it would appear we have another manager who's attitude appears to be lets not lose... c.l. springs to mind...before k.o. i thought we had the players to cause them serious problems, however throwing a ball up to boyce was not getting anywhere yet we still persisted. this was robbies chance to show that we could put teams under pressure st home..we managed to do that a couple of times but never enough to give them serious problems...undefeated we may be but thats 4 points dropped at home against teams who we expect to be in the mix with us.. sorry robbie but its not really good enough..

Not a huge Neilson fan and there are things about the formation and style of play I don’t particularly like but your post is a bit exaggerated and unfair. Macey made some good saves and Neilson didn’t order us to overplay the ball in the opposition box. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Italian Lambretta said:

Sadly we have a manager who would rather play more defensive midfielders because he is shit scared of losing. It will be the same setup all season even against crap teams like the vermin.  We will go to Dingwall next week and it will the same too many defensive players and one striker. He needs to ditch this attitude sharpish and let the good players play or we're going know where. The midfield for the Ross county game should be Beni, Woodburn and McKay with Boyce and Nando up front.

 

Ha, we would get opened up with a team set up like that.

 

Haring and Beni utterly dominated the midfield, so very weird you would want to change that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Section N Rules said:

We have 11 points, 1 behind the big spending rangers. What is is you what? Id love if we won today but it wasn't a great game, despite what's said on here Hibs are actually no too bad, that's why they are joint with us!

 

What do I want? I want a Hearts side that goes out there to win a football match. Aye we have 11 point but we should've won our home games against the dons and hibs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Italian Lambretta said:

Sadly we have a manager who would rather play more defensive midfielders because he is shit scared of losing. It will be the same setup all season even against crap teams like the vermin.  We will go to Dingwall next week and it will the same too many defensive players and one striker. He needs to ditch this attitude sharpish and let the good players play or we're going know where. The midfield for the Ross county game should be Beni, Woodburn and McKay with Boyce and Nando up front.

So a total change of formation despite our general excellent play and results - aye ok oops sorry forget to mention the now obligatory Neilson moan - again aye ok  - Crap teams like the vermin - aye ok

Link to post
Share on other sites
fabienleclerq
1 hour ago, Gambo said:

Created one clear opportunity.

 

Too many primarily defensive players on show for my liking and that showed in chances created.

 

We had plenty opportunities, never made the best of them.Thats not the managers fault, he can only set the team up to dominate the game as best they can, if the players don't make the best of it then that's their responsibility. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

 

We had plenty opportunities, never made the best of them.Thats not the managers fault, he can only set the team up to dominate the game as best they can, if the players don't make the best of it then that's their responsibility. 

It is if he fills the team with primarily defensive minded players.

 

We need more attack minded players to take advantage of the chances created.

Too many triangles and sideways/backward ball today due to make up of team. Imo

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jr ewing said:

Tale of two keepers. Both on form. 

 

Correct. With lesser keepers it could have been 3 - 3

Link to post
Share on other sites
Smith's right boot

Not wanting to lose is a good thing. 

 

The whole threads a a mess. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
fabienleclerq
1 minute ago, Gambo said:

It is if he fills the team with primarily defensive minded players.

 

We need more attack minded players to take advantage of the chances created.

Too many triangles and sideways/backward ball today due to make up of team. Imo

 

I felt we were the better team and made plenty chances. He can only select the players we have. Given another transfer window or two we might end up with more attacking fb's or another striker to push boyce. 

 

I wanted him gone but he's started the season well and we look pretty good. Today isn't a day to have a pop at RN. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Smith's right boot
27 minutes ago, DG_HMFC said:

 

What do I want? I want a Hearts side that goes out there to win a football match. Aye we have 11 point but we should've won our home games against the dons and hibs.

 

We all want us to win every game. 

 

Unlikely to happen tho. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
SomethingAboutObua

How could you watch today and think we played to avoid defeat? At times wasteful finishing and good goalkeeping on both sides is why we drew ffs. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Would of like Halliday starting LWB today need him in these games Apart from that I think Robbie picked the correct team to start today .
 

Both keepers played there part today don’t think 1 team deserved the win over the other .Roll on to County next week . 
 

County Away

Livi Home 

Motherwell Home

 

good chance of getting full points! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

 

I felt we were the better team and made plenty chances. He can only select the players we have. Given another transfer window or two we might end up with more attacking fb's or another striker to push boyce. 

 

I wanted him gone but he's started the season well and we look pretty good. Today isn't a day to have a pop at RN. 

There was enough attacking options available today. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, SomethingAboutObua said:

How could you watch today and think we played to avoid defeat? At times wasteful finishing and good goalkeeping on both sides is why we drew ffs. 

As shite as Hibs were we created one clear cut chance.

Too many primarily defensive minded players. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Jambof3tornado
2 hours ago, GlasgoJambo said:


Think we’re hoping that man’ll be Devlin. RN probably right not to chuck him in today.

 

Disappointing not to win but I'm taking a lot of positives out of today’s game. If Robbie was setting out not to lose such a game Halliday would have started.

Thought it was mceneff but he has already slipped out the matchday squad without getting a chance.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Talking shite. We bossed the play today, a few chances missed from wining it. A few counter attack chances doesn't change the facts, unless you're a shitebag that couldn't see how poor hibs were

Link to post
Share on other sites
Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, Italian Lambretta said:

Sadly we have a manager who would rather play more defensive midfielders because he is shit scared of losing. It will be the same setup all season even against crap teams like the vermin.  We will go to Dingwall next week and it will the same too many defensive players and one striker. He needs to ditch this attitude sharpish and let the good players play or we're going know where. The midfield for the Ross county game should be Beni, Woodburn and McKay with Boyce and Nando up front.

Spot on, five at the back and two sitters against Hibs at home. Shit scared of Boyle. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MattyK82 said:


Not quite this simple for me. The formation he plays will only be fully utilised if the WBs issue is sorted. Smith isn’t a WB. He has no pace and can’t cross a ball. Cochrane is a very solid defender but again, doesn’t offer enough going forward. Thus, we end up playing with 5 at the back as opposed to 3 with two WBs. 
 

Beni and Haring dominated the midfield today. They are giving the attacking players the platform to go and express themselves. But again, until we solve the WB issue, I’m not sure 3-4-3 suits us as a team.

 

With the players we have, I think we may be better in a 4-2-3-1 which we can switch to a 3-4-3, depending on how the respective match is going as opposed to the other way around.

 

I think the likes of Woodburn (who was impressive today), will prove more effective in such a system. 
 

It’s a shame Smith was an enforced substitute today as I suspect Gnando May have been introduced and he would have given Boyce some much needed support in the final third/in around the box. 
 

 

Your first paragraph is bang on.

If we had a Patterson or Ramsay type player at Right Wing Back, it would have a huge difference to our attacking threat and open up more space centrally.

Cochrane has bags of energy and good defensively but not really one to overlap and get past a full back.

Will be interesting to see if Neilson changes things centrally and swaps Haring for a more dynamic and attack minded player. Potentially that might be Devlin so looking forward to seeing how he fits in.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Pasquale for King
10 minutes ago, EH11 2NL said:

Talking shite. We bossed the play today, a few chances missed from wining it. A few counter attack chances doesn't change the facts, unless you're a shitebag that couldn't see how poor hibs were

The biggest shite bag is in the dug out, we couldn’t get out our half until around 20 minutes into the game.
For a Hearts manager to say he enjoyed a draw against Hibs at Tynecastle is unacceptable. 

His predictable substitutes made no real difference, again. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, MattyK82 said:


Not quite this simple for me. The formation he plays will only be fully utilised if the WBs issue is sorted. Smith isn’t a WB. He has no pace and can’t cross a ball. Cochrane is a very solid defender but again, doesn’t offer enough going forward. Thus, we end up playing with 5 at the back as opposed to 3 with two WBs. 
 

Beni and Haring dominated the midfield today. They are giving the attacking players the platform to go and express themselves. But again, until we solve the WB issue, I’m not sure 3-4-3 suits us as a team.

 

With the players we have, I think we may be better in a 4-2-3-1 which we can switch to a 3-4-3, depending on how the respective match is going as opposed to the other way around.

 

I think the likes of Woodburn (who was impressive today), will prove more effective in such a system. 
 

It’s a shame Smith was an enforced substitute today as I suspect Gnando May have been introduced and he would have given Boyce some much needed support in the final third/in around the box. 
 

 

Spot on 

Link to post
Share on other sites
HeartsandonlyHearts
4 hours ago, Italian Lambretta said:

Sadly we have a manager who would rather play more defensive midfielders because he is shit scared of losing. It will be the same setup all season even against crap teams like the vermin.  We will go to Dingwall next week and it will the same too many defensive players and one striker. He needs to ditch this attitude sharpish and let the good players play or we're going know where. The midfield for the Ross county game should be Beni, Woodburn and McKay with Boyce and Nando up front.

🤥

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Costanza said:

Your first paragraph is bang on.

If we had a Patterson or Ramsay type player at Right Wing Back, it would have a huge difference to our attacking threat and open up more space centrally.

Cochrane has bags of energy and good defensively but not really one to overlap and get past a full back.

Will be interesting to see if Neilson changes things centrally and swaps Haring for a more dynamic and attack minded player. Potentially that might be Devlin so looking forward to seeing how he fits in.

 


I am intrigued to see what changes are made in the coming weeks regarding the midfield (if any). I think Devlin may well be in contention to compliment Beni, but at the same time, I like the look of Pete and Beni when they play like today.

 

Yeah - agreed re: someone like Patterson or Ramsay at RWB. We need pace and attacking intent in the WB positions, while at the same time, an ability to defend when necessary. Not easy to find someone of that ilk. Maybe Logan could - although I don’t know enough about him to say either way. Plus, I appreciate he’s a young player and won’t just become a regular starter. Unless he’s that good. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Gambo said:

There was enough attacking options available today. 

What would you have done attacking wise today instead? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

The biggest shite bag is in the dug out, we couldn’t get out our half until around 20 minutes into the game.
For a Hearts manager to say he enjoyed a draw against Hibs at Tynecastle is unacceptable. 

His predictable substitutes made no real difference, again. 


2 of them were forced due to injuries

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

The biggest shite bag is in the dug out, we couldn’t get out our half until around 20 minutes into the game.
For a Hearts manager to say he enjoyed a draw against Hibs at Tynecastle is unacceptable. 

His predictable substitutes made no real difference, again. 

Hibs started well first 10-15, then it was all Hearts. A draw is always a poor result against them, but the performance was strong. Only missing that goal. 

 

On the point of shitebags, see 1 manager sub an attacked at HT for a def mid, the other changed attacker for attacker trying to win the game. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, 1971fozzy said:


2 of them were forced due to injuries

Smith was, neither GMS or Woodburn were injured. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, EH11 2NL said:

Hibs started well first 10-15, then it was all Hearts. A draw is always a poor result against them, but the performance was strong. Only missing that goal. 

 

On the point of shitebags, see 1 manager sub an attacked at HT for a def mid, the other changed attacker for attacker trying to win the game. 

Performance was strong ffs, they had better chances right through the game. 
Taking Woodburn off weakened us. 
Who gives a **** what Neilsons negative buddy at ER does? 
Happy with a draw 🙈

Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought we were quite good but made the wrong changes and never really went for it at the end. I'd not read much into it if it wasn't exactly what was expected. 2 wins in 10 against Hibs isn't something that should be acceptable for Hearts imo. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Pasquale for King said:

Performance was strong ffs, they had better chances right through the game. 
Taking Woodburn off weakened us. 
Who gives a **** what Neilsons negative buddy at ER does? 
Happy with a draw 🙈

I'm no happy with a draw, i said at the time the Woodburn sub would level the game. They never had better chances, they hit us on the break as a counter attacking team usually does when being dominated and failed to score. A few tweaks here and there and we'll be fine, they on the other hand got bullied in every position and have problems. Unless of course you're a shite bag and fail to see what portrayed over the 90. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Bull's-eye

Excellent performance by the team today, to suggest they played like a team scared is pretty ridiculous to anybody watching. If anything both our centre halfs striding forward gave me the chills. 

Only disappointment is not getting all 3 points, because we deserved them.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Tom Hardy’s Dug

If Neilson was playing not to lose today why didn’t he bring Halliday on instead of Gino or McKay to shore things up at 0-0.

 

Only one manager playing not to lose today and that was Ross. Felt he needed to match our formation to nullify it, then took an attacking player off for a defensive player at half time.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...