The Fear of Losing

Italian Lambretta

12 hours ago, fabienleclerq said:

Just to confirm you'd rather play Halliday CM over beni or haring? 

You've said hibs played on the counter as they always do. 

So we didn't peg hibs back but they played us on the counter? How's that work then?

You wanted us to play quick attacking football but if hibs are sitting in and countering surely that makes it difficult? And you need to be patient and wait for chances. 

As for motm being Gordon the sponsors pick it, they probably wanted his top. Woodburn or Beni were motm. 

We created plenty chances, we had 16 shots at goal and not every chance ends in a shot unfortunately. 

Was a good game, unfortunately we never got the breaks it happens. 

Beni plays before all other midfielders just to clarify Fab, Haring occasionally but when playing teams we need to breakdown we cannot have a back 5 and Haring.

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

• Bazzas right boot

38 minutes ago, Lfhearts said:

Beni plays before all other midfielders just to clarify Fab, Haring occasionally but when playing teams we need to breakdown we cannot have a back 5 and Haring.

I think that’s right. It’s definitely costing us in an attacking sense. Team is doing well but it could be better. 

Pasqualle is a remarkable figure. Of all the Hearts fans on this thread he's the only one who "gets it."

Apparently that means knowing that a midfielder standing in front of a goal with just the keeper to beat and a cross hitting him in the foot isn't a "good chance." I admit, that knowledge is beyond my meager capacity.

Sorry if this comes across as a wind-up but my tolerance for nonsense is on the low side today.

16 minutes ago, Ugly American said:

Pasqualle is a remarkable figure. Of all the Hearts fans on this thread he's the only one who "gets it."

Apparently that means knowing that a midfielder standing in front of a goal with just the keeper to beat and a cross hitting him in the foot isn't a "good chance." I admit, that knowledge is beyond my meager capacity.

Sorry if this comes across as a wind-up but my tolerance for nonsense is on the low side today.

It spins both ways tbh. Folk trying to say a draw at home against Hibs is a good result. It isn’t. Never will be. We have a good side so of RN ‘settled for a draw’ as some people are saying then that’s just not going to do for many hearts fans. 

Let’s face it, for every fan who is anti Neilson on here there is another who will defend anything Ann Budge does and by extension anything RN does. 

2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

It spins both ways tbh. Folk trying to say a draw at home against Hibs is a good result. It isn’t. Never will be. We have a good side so of RN ‘settled for a draw’ as some people are saying then that’s just not going to do for many hearts fans. 

Let’s face it, for every fan who is anti Neilson on here there is another who will defend anything Ann Budge does and by extension anything RN does. 

I haven't seen anyone on here, including Neilson, say it was a good result. There's gradations as to whether it was a deserved draw or whether Hearts were the better team but didn't finish our chances. But I find nobody who is happy with the result of the match.

I think there's also split opinions as to whether this Hibs team is a quality side (I think they're better than I've seen from them in a while) or whether they're overpriced numpties we should be ragdolling every time.

We've had about as tough a schedule to start the season as ever reasonably happens and we're undefeated and a point off the top. I'm pretty happy with that but the caveat is we should now be dolling out some more severe results. If in three weeks we've picked up 5 points and scored 4 goals total, I'll be a lot more sympathetic to the anti-Neilson brigade. Right now, I think he should get his plaudits.

2 minutes ago, Ugly American said:

I haven't seen anyone on here, including Neilson, say it was a good result. There's gradations as to whether it was a deserved draw or whether Hearts were the better team but didn't finish our chances. But I find nobody who is happy with the result of the match.

I think there's also split opinions as to whether this Hibs team is a quality side (I think they're better than I've seen from them in a while) or whether they're overpriced numpties we should be ragdolling every time.

We've had about as tough a schedule to start the season as ever reasonably happens and we're undefeated and a point off the top. I'm pretty happy with that but the caveat is we should now be dolling out some more severe results. If in three weeks we've picked up 5 points and scored 4 goals total, I'll be a lot more sympathetic to the anti-Neilson brigade. Right now, I think he should get his plaudits.

There have been people saying it’s a good result. Read the match day thread. There’s no doubt we could have beat them but the fact we didn’t when we were clearly the better team is at the heart of the discussion. I’m not screaming for RN’s head any more and he deserves credit for his points haul but we let them off the hook imo. Neilson saying he enjoyed the game irritated me as well. **** Hibs, they’re an ordinary side with two good players ffs. We have huge potential, some excellent players and should be beating them at tynecastle. There may be split opinions but that’s mine. 

We have picked up 5 points and scored 4 goals but only one from open play. That isn’t good, we are definitely not getting the best out of our attacking players and he needs to sort it out. 

I have just watched the whole game again as I had recorded it yesterday.

If the OP thinks that was a performance from Hearts that was a fear of losing.

Then I suggest the next time he goes to a game he takes his eyes with him.

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

There have been people saying it’s a good result. Read the match day thread. There’s no doubt we could have beat them but the fact we didn’t when we were clearly the better team is at the heart of the discussion. I’m not screaming for RN’s head any more and he deserves credit for his points haul but we let them off the hook imo. Neilson saying he enjoyed the game irritated me as well. **** Hibs, they’re an ordinary side with two good players ffs. We have huge potential, some excellent players and should be beating them at tynecastle. There may be split opinions but that’s mine. 

We have picked up 5 points and scored 4 goals but only one from open play. That isn’t good, we are definitely not getting the best out of our attacking players and he needs to sort it out. 

Agreed on the last point. We just brought in two new attacking players and they haven't had a chance to get fully fit or in sync with the rest of the squad. But 0-0 with this roster isn't acceptable in the long term.

We really should win one of the next three games by three goals. I'm sure one of them will make us grind out a 1-0 or some such but at some point, with this much attacking verve in the squad, we need to cut a team or two open.

The game at County seems a perfect chance to start some combination of Logan, Gnanduillet, Gino, McKay, and Devlin and see what we can do, even if just to give players like Smith, Boyce, and GMS a rest.

2 minutes ago, Ugly American said:

Agreed on the last point. We just brought in two new attacking players and they haven't had a chance to get fully fit or in sync with the rest of the squad. But 0-0 with this roster isn't acceptable in the long term.

We really should win one of the next three games by three goals. I'm sure one of them will make us grind out a 1-0 or some such but at some point, with this much attacking verve in the squad, we need to cut a team or two open.

The game at County seems a perfect chance to start some combination of Logan, Gnanduillet, Gino, McKay, and Devlin and see what we can do, even if just to give players like Smith, Boyce, and GMS a rest.

At the risk of repeating myself (probably several times) I just don’t think it’s there yet. The potential is there and the players are there to have a really good season. In an attacking sense we are hindered by some well discussed things. Michael Smith and Alex Cochrane are poor in the final third, the two central midfielder are definitely much better defensively than in attack. That’s our entire midfield who don’t produce enough in an attacking sense. 

Boyce has far too much to do as well. He’s basically trying to cover two positions, does way too much defending for a supposed centre forward. 

Don’t get me wrong, when the side is able to push high up the park and get close to the attacking 3 we look brilliant, as evidenced against Dundee United but how often are we going to face opponents who will let that happen for long periods. 

3 minutes ago, RULEOF3 said:

Bottom line is its working

Bottom line is, it could be better. If we are getting the most out of the players we have then it’s working. I don’t believe we are yet. 

3 hours ago, Lfhearts said:

I think if we have attacking wing backs then it's fine, we don't though! If our wb's attack more the likes of Woodburn can play more central. Last two games we have run the midfield though. 

5 hours ago, RULEOF3 said:

Spoken like a man who hasnt done a 3 1/2 schlep up to dingwall

Not for a football match but during field work I made three trips between NW Mull and Lochinver over a two month period with a ferry ride over the Minch with a toddler thrown in for fun. Nearly bugged out the eyes of the fella at the car hire when I returned it one time and he looked at the mileage. :lol:

I did pass through Dingwall on the way out of Inverness and glanced up at toward where the County stadium was the once but so long as the football calendar largely overlaps the academic calendar I’m SOL on actually catching Hearts there.

Guest ToqueJambo
6 hours ago, GinRummy said:

We want to and expect to win every derby, home or away, but that's never going to happen. Sunday was an acceptable result for anyone who watched the game - ie acceptable based on how the actual game went not what we think a Hearts-Hibs result should be. It could have gone either way right up to the end. We had chances to win it but so did Hibs. We did edge it overall IMO but I've seen us create far less, play far worse and win games, including derbies.

I don't think for a second we settled for a draw in that game. Nothing in the way we played suggests that.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Guest ToqueJambo
4 hours ago, fabienleclerq said:

I think if we have attacking wing backs then it's fine, we don't though! If our wb's attack more the likes of Woodburn can play more central. Last two games we have run the midfield though. 

This is the key thing. Haring and Beni are a good partnership in there and Haring is more attack-minded than people give him credit for. Has everyone forgotten how he started with us pre-injury back in 2018? They are starting to look very similar to the Gomis-Bauben partnership in how they enable us to control games, with Beni in the Gomis role dictating play, breaking up attacks and helping us dominate possession.

Pasquale for King
12 hours ago, sirwalter said:

Self-loathing is such a sad and destructive trait. That psychologist must be very concerned about you. Come on, I'm sure you must have some knowledge of football that you're hiding away? Give yourself a break. There is research to suggest that following a sports team has therapeutic value but I think one probably has to enjoy it. Try to think positively. It will help in time.

Save the amateur psychology for folk who care what you think 😆

2 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

This is the key thing. Haring and Beni are a good partnership in there and Haring is more attack-minded than people give him credit for. Has everyone forgotten how he started with us pre-injury back in 2018? They are starting to look very similar to the Gomis-Bauben partnership in how they enable us to control games, with Beni in the Gomis role dictating play, breaking up attacks and helping us dominate possession.

One constant in Neilson's career, even as he's changed formations, is that he loves that midfield duo. Gomis and Buaben set the mold but Pallardo, Kitchen, and Cowie all played in it too.

Gomis was your standard holding mid but I think the back 3 lets Beni play further forward than Gomis was able to. Not to mention that, as much fondness as I have for their time at the club, Beni is several steps above either of them in quality, at least on what we've seen to start the season.

8 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Save the amateur psychology for folk who care what you think 😆

We term this denial. I'm confident, however, that with time and effort you can overcome this barrier and discover that watching football can be a pleasurable experience. Do try to think positively and keep an open mind. Strive to distinguish fact from opinion and prejudice. Love the Hearts, not uncritically, but realistically and unconditionally.

Sunday's derby was an excellent match in which both teams played very well. Hearts' performance was richly promising. A promise which experience tells us may well be unfulfilled but let's enjoy the moment, eh?

Bruno brought some interesting things to Tynecastle but try to think Tommy Walker, Donald Ford or Rudi Skacel...Anne Budge even!

Bazzas right boot
16 hours ago, John Findlay said:

I have just watched the whole game again as I had recorded it yesterday.

If the OP thinks that was a performance from Hearts that was a fear of losing.

Then I suggest the next time he goes to a game he takes his eyes with him.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Bazzas right boot

The op has a point Tbh. 

Next time we go and play, we should just go and get beat and afterwards have a cheeky nandos and a bevvy, just to prove we aren't scared of losing and don't give a **** about it. 

When Neilson picks a team to play at Tynie I like many wonder what goes through Neilson’s head. To play a so called 3421 or 343 why play with 1 x Right Back, 2 x Centre Backs, 2 x Left Backs & 2 x Defensive Midfielders. Ok we have 1 Left Back playing as a left sided Centre Back but that leaves two Full Backs as Wing Backs and we have the likes of McEnfee who, I recon, would be a revelation in that position just like Clare did. With 2 Defensive Midfielders that covers the defence and having 2 out and out defenders playing Wing Back it’s  too defensive. Even Neilson’s substitutions during games show a mindset that is all about not losing rather that going on to win a game. With the players Neilson has at his disposal we have dropped 4 points against Aberdeen & Hibs that were avoidable.
The evidence is there for all to see fellow Kickbackers.
I rest my case.

Edited by mitch41

5 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

When Neilson picks a team to play at Tynie I like many wonder what goes through Neilson’s head. To play a so called 3421 or 343 why play with 1 x Right Back, 2 x Centre Backs, 2 x Left Backs & 2 x Defensive Midfielders. Ok we have 1 Left Back playing as a left sided Centre Back but that leaves to Full Backs as Wing Backs and we have the likes of McEnfee who, I recon, would be a revelation in that position just like Clare did. With 2 Defensive Midfielders that covers the defence and having 2 out and out defenders playing Wing Back is too defensive. Even Neilson’s substitutions during games show a mindset that is all about not losing rather that going on to win a game. With the players Neilson has at his disposal we have dropped 4 points against Aberdeen & Hibs that were avoidable.
I rest my case.

What was defensive about his subs against hibs? 

More drivel.

Nothing defensive about his subs.

Players are capable of playing in more than one position.

And not sure how you can think McEneff will be a revelation at RWB given he is a midfielder. 

Edited by leith_dude
Hadn't finished typing!

He’s done a good job so far this season but I think it could be better. People call him pragmatic in an almost condescending way. If he’s truly pragmatic he’ll set up to get more goals from this side, he certainly has the players to score goals. There are obvious issues (which have been discussed) with our link up play and service to our attackers. 

6 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

When Neilson picks a team to play at Tynie I like many wonder what goes through Neilson’s head. To play a so called 3421 or 343 why play with 1 x Right Back, 2 x Centre Backs, 2 x Left Backs & 2 x Defensive Midfielders. Ok we have 1 Left Back playing as a left sided Centre Back but that leaves to Full Backs as Wing Backs and we have the likes of McEnfee who, I recon, would be a revelation in that position just like Clare did. With 2 Defensive Midfielders that covers the defence and having 2 out and out defenders playing Wing Back is too defensive. Even Neilson’s substitutions during games show a mindset that is all about not losing rather that going on to win a game. With the players Neilson has at his disposal we have dropped 4 points against Aberdeen & Hibs that were avoidable.
I rest my case.

your attempt to correctly spell one of our own players is there for all Kickbackers to see.

I think we've scored 17 goals in 10 games this season. We substituted attacking players with attacking players on Sunday.

Do i think Robbie is the best fit for Hearts right now?

No.

Do i have an ounce of energy left to care and argue about it endlessly on here?

Also no.

Selkirkhmfc1874

Have been a critic of this in the past but disagree at the start of the season because as the stats show every game the amount of shots at goal we having , corners for etc and also looking at recruitment this summer it's mostly attack minded players signed 

Bazzas right boot

Mods need to re open the mega Bob loony thread. 

Instead of all the slaverings being contained or getting merged  if folk went Rogue they are just opening threads to get their point across now. 

Every thread just turns into a BB thread as the folk that could let loose on the mega thread can't, and as  they cannot contain themselves unless they greet and moan they just start threads and hijack others. 

It's ridiculous as it is amusing. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

Bazzas right boot
12 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

I rest my case.

Keep your promise of your last sentence. 👍

McEnfee :rofl:

Let's look at the subs in the PL this season so far:

v Celtic: Haring , Gnanduillet

v St Mirren: Gnanduillet, Henderson, McEneff

v Aberdeen: Walker, McEneff, Henderson

v Dundee Utd: Ginnelly, Gnanduillet, Moore

v Hibs: Moore, McKay, Ginnelly

I see 2/14 max defensive minded substitutions there (haring v Celtic and Moore v Dundee Utd) as Smith / Moore at the weekend was a straight swap.

I wish folk would just stop talking utter pish.

Jambo in Bathgate
8 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

When Neilson picks a team to play at Tynie I like many wonder what goes through Neilson’s head. To play a so called 3421 or 343 why play with 1 x Right Back, 2 x Centre Backs, 2 x Left Backs & 2 x Defensive Midfielders. Ok we have 1 Left Back playing as a left sided Centre Back but that leaves two Full Backs as Wing Backs and we have the likes of McEnfee who, I recon, would be a revelation in that position just like Clare did. With 2 Defensive Midfielders that covers the defence and having 2 out and out defenders playing Wing Back it’s  too defensive. Even Neilson’s substitutions during games show a mindset that is all about not losing rather that going on to win a game. With the players Neilson has at his disposal we have dropped 4 points against Aberdeen & Hibs that were avoidable.
I rest my case.

God not this again. Did you watch the game. To move forward you have to win the ball. Both our Defensive Midfielders won the ball and moved forward. We had the upper hand in the first half so much so that Ross took off Scott and brought on a Defensive Midfielder. These are two teams we played that finished 3rd and 4th last season. We have matched them and look in good shape. Time to put your airplane and banner away or you will be accused of trolling.   

14 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

I rest my case.

16 attempts at goal at 57% possession tells a different story Pep 

Jeffros Furios

The midfielders don't need to be camped ontop  of the centre halves and the wide players need to be receiving the ball further forward. 

We need to stop having Boyce on the half way line with his back to goal.

It's a pretty decent squad of players let's have a bit more faith in them.

Need a drop Craig Gordon thread.

It's ridiculous playing a Goalkeeper every week, maybe need one against The Rangers right enough away at Greyskull. But why is Jobby Nilsun persisting with this defensive cluster**** every week, it was plain to see against Hubs, Gordon just wasn't required, drop Souter back a yard or so and stick another Striker on the pitch, we might have conceded a couple or 4 but we'd score 10 every game. 

I can't see how Jobby Nilsun dussnae see this, I've had a season book since 1924 and did a poll on my bus after the game and 13,376 supporters agreed with me.

There's no need for defenders in the modern game. Nilsun is clueless.

3 minutes ago, Russ1977 said:

What was defensive about his subs against hibs? 

Ok let’s say Woodburn, a goal scorer, for McKay & GMS for Ginnelly, like for like, and Moore for Smith thinking of being more defensive !! No, maybe but definitely not going for a win. Thank god for Craig Gordon, yes !

Bazzas right boot
16 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Has the same person got several usernames?

Usernames?  Or Personalities? 

Berra than you
16 minutes ago, Homme said:

McEnfee :rofl:

Let's look at the subs in the PL this season so far:

v Celtic: Haring , Gnanduillet

v St Mirren: Gnanduillet, Henderson, McEneff

v Aberdeen: Walker, McEneff, Henderson

v Dundee Utd: Ginnelly, Gnanduillet, Moore

v Hibs: Moore, McKay, Ginnelly

I see 2/14 max defensive minded substitutions there (haring v Celtic and Moore v Dundee Utd) as Smith / Moore at the weekend was a straight swap.

I wish folk would just stop talking utter pish.

And ironically, both of these subs had a positive attacking impact. The haring sun gave us back control vs Celtic and Moore allowed us to go back to a 3-4-3 at United and go on to score the second.

Just now, mitch41 said:

Looks like I’ve disturbed a Hornets nest.

No idea why folk get so riled up. Neilson is doing fine this season but suggesting he’s a bit cautious or defensive in his approach is hardly crazy talk. 

2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

No idea why folk get so riled up. Neilson is doing fine this season but suggesting he’s a bit cautious or defensive in his approach is hardly crazy talk. 

He’s certainly more cautious than Stendel but less cautious than Levein imo.