The Fear of Losing

Italian Lambretta

Just now, Pasquale for King said:

He’s only really managing to get into the box sporadically, defending is his main job, feel sorry for him he can’t be everywhere. Same for Boyce, don’t think we’re creating chances for him either, or anyone. 

Have to agree. Boyce being asked to do far too much. 

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

• Bazzas right boot

6 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

He’s always said there’ll be different formations played over the season. Bit of an ambiguous statement I suppose but I think a back 4 is coming. 

Me too - I genuinely think Moore will be an astute signing. In Savage I trust

I know the 343 has been decent so far, but our squad is crying out for a 4231 imo. That way we can have the 2 hard working midfielders as the holders, and have the attacking 4 in front, with an actual CAM behind Boyce providing the support he needs. He's never a lone striker without a player behind him, he doesn't have the mobility for it, or the strength to hold it up well. He needs a CAM behind him and for me that player is Woodburn, and I would like to see McEneff get chances in that position too. Also suits Michael Smith, as he's a great right back, but never a wingback in a million years. We would have much more depth using the 4231, it would mean some defenders would miss out, but that creates more competition for places. 

Edited by Arthur Morgan

1 minute ago, Arthur Morgan said:

I know the 343 has been decent so far, but our squad is crying out for a 4231 imo. That way we can have the 2 hard working midfielders as the holders, and have the attacking 4 in front, with an actual CAM behind Boyce providing the support he needs. He's never a lone striker without a player behind him, he doesn't have the mobility for it, or strength. 

I’m coming round to this way of thinking as well. Depends on Moore being good because Halkett isn’t for me in a back 4. That formation puts everyone in their best position. 

Pasquale for King
7 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Have to agree. Boyce being asked to do far too much. 

He’s not really got the pace to play so deep and then get on the end of crosses, still not sure what the best attacking line up is but at least we have decent options. 

5 minutes ago, Arthur Morgan said:

I know the 343 has been decent so far, but our squad is crying out for a 4231 imo. That way we can have the 2 hard working midfielders as the holders, and have the attacking 4 in front, with an actual CAM behind Boyce providing the support he needs. He's never a lone striker without a player behind him, he doesn't have the mobility for it, or strength. 

Cant help but agree with the players we have now as oppose to last year (shivers)

3 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I’m coming round to this way of thinking as well. Depends on Moore being good because Halkett isn’t for me in a back 4. That formation puts everyone in their best position. 

I don't particularly rate Halkett, and would be more than happy for Moore to be given a run in the team beside Souttar. Two ball playing CB's in a 4231 would be sweet. We could even go more attacking in certain games, and play McEneff as part of the '2', or Halliday bursting forward as a box to box type, as he's capable of scoring from distance. I could see him scoring a few tbh, also can play LB which is handy although wouldn't be needed as we would have either Kingsley or Cochrane there. 

Edited by Arthur Morgan

6 hours ago, Gambo said:

Far too cautious a manager for my (and many others) liking.

He has been given the tools to take the brakes off but will he utilise them.

Robbie will never change. He is Levein’s ‘Mini Me’ when it comes to football Philosophy. 

5 minutes ago, Arthur Morgan said:

I don't particularly rate Halkett, and would be more than happy for Moore to be given a run in the team beside Souttar. Two ball playing CB's in a 4231 would be sweet. We could even go more attacking in certain games, and play McEneff as part of the '2', or Halliday bursting forward as a box to box type, as he's capable of scoring from distance. I could see him scoring a few tbh, also can play LB which is handy although wouldn't be needed as we would have either Kingsley or Cochrane there. 

Its **** frustrating having read hundreds of posts and literally sat down with a pen and paper moving players about for a decent answer. The bottom line for me ends up with "right get shot of him and I can make a team"

6 hours ago, MattyK82 said:

Not quite this simple for me. The formation he plays will only be fully utilised if the WBs issue is sorted. Smith isn’t a WB. He has no pace and can’t cross a ball. Cochrane is a very solid defender but again, doesn’t offer enough going forward. Thus, we end up playing with 5 at the back as opposed to 3 with two WBs. 

Beni and Haring dominated the midfield today. They are giving the attacking players the platform to go and express themselves. But again, until we solve the WB issue, I’m not sure 3-4-3 suits us as a team.

With the players we have, I think we may be better in a 4-2-3-1 which we can switch to a 3-4-3, depending on how the respective match is going as opposed to the other way around.

I think the likes of Woodburn (who was impressive today), will prove more effective in such a system. 

It’s a shame Smith was an enforced substitute today as I suspect Gnando May have been introduced and he would have given Boyce some much needed support in the final third/in around the box. 

Great post and on the money. 

If you are genuinely playing a front three then you can’t have a proper attacking midfielder in the two. 

I completely agree the wing backs are the issue. At least one of them has to be a proper forward thinking player. 

And I also agree that there is an argument that Gnando starting would make us more effective. 

5 hours ago, KyleLafferty said:

If the wingbacks do their job properly it’s a very attacking formation. Cochrane gets forward a lot, Smith needs to improve. I’m not Neilsons biggest fan but we’ve played well every league game this season

Do we think that Kingsley would be better at LWB and Cochrane in the back 3. 

the recruitment search should definitely now be focussing on a real pacy RWB

4 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

We all want us to win every game. 

Unlikely to happen tho. 

I don't expect it to happen. I do think we are a much better side than we're showing.

2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Save your amateur psychology, I was standing beside a qualified Psychologist today who knows about that and played football

for Hearts who was less than impressed with what was served up. 

It's good to know that you're allowed to watch television in there. Hopefully all that TLC will alleviate your delusional state soon and the detention order can be lifted. It'll be nice when you're relieved of all that irrationality and can enjoy a good football match. Be well and happy.

We are one attacking midfield player and one solid defender away from being a good side who can compete week in week out . We lack speed at times , they were there for the taking yesterday , yes CG had saves , but they were bread and butter to him 

4 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

So we were poor for the first 20 minutes but dominant? 
Ginnelly should’ve squared it but that and the GMS chance was it in 90 minutes against Hibs at home. The manager enjoyed that. As for negative we play with 3 attackers and 8 defensive players every week. 

Woodburn's shot went over the bar by about 6 inches. Boyce had a decent header that was just high. GMS put two shots on goal immediately before being subbed. (The second was a bit soft but the keeper was leaning the other way and had to stretch.) Another, can't remember who (Haring?), caught a cross from the left wing and played it with his left foot, but had he played it with his right foot the near post was open. Boyce got called for a foul for a very soft touch, which saved the defender from getting a red card as he pulled Boyce down when he was through on goal.

10 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

We have improved, but only because John Murray has retired and we've finally sorted the the recruitment out. 

Robbie Neilson is still the same bang average manager.

And you are still a below average poster. Swings and roundabouts.

:leveinproblem:

3 hours ago, sirwalter said:

It's good to know that you're allowed to watch television in there. Hopefully all that TLC will alleviate your delusional state soon and the detention order can be lifted. It'll be nice when you're relieved of all that irrationality and can enjoy a good football match. Be well and happy.

I shouldn't, but :rofl:

We didn’t set up not lose….we went for a win. Bringing on two wingers in the last half hour of the match was the right thing to do….it’s just a pity there was no CF to aim at.

I think the way the squad has shaped up moving to a 442/433 would suit us better.

Neither Smith or Cochrane are really a constant threat down either flank.

A_A wehatethehibs

We are right in the mix with Hibs and Aberdeen, they were both close, even early season games. And we now go into a double header against Livingston and Ross County with our unbeaten start intact. We are level with Hibs having played 3 of last seasons top 4. They haven’t played anyone from last seasons top 4

Why do fans expect us to turn up and smash these top 4 teams as the newly promoted side that’s been behind them for several years? Both Hibs and Aberdeen have a huge head start over us in squad building. Their fans will not be happy to see Hearts be the better team than them for large spells of both games considering that cavernous head start they have, we should be streets behind them, but we have shown we are a better team than them and will be an extremely dangerous opponent when the tables turn and we’re going to their shite house stadiums. 

Yesterday boils down to 2 goalkeepers on a mission to keep their clean sheets. They were the reason 0-0 was a fair result in the end and not a bad one for either team.  

8 hours ago, Lfhearts said:

See Beni and Haring will be lucky to score all season, folk slag Halliday but he knows where the goals are.

Just to confirm you'd rather play Halliday CM over beni or haring? 

7 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

See the bit where i said “at the best of times” clearly indicates we weren’t that high for most of the game 👍🏽
Playing quick attacking football would create more chances, most chances are created with 4 passes, not sideways and back to eventually get it wide to two wing backs who can’t cross the ball to one striker and two playing central. We have created extremely few chances so far from open play. 

You've said hibs played on the counter as they always do. 

So we didn't peg hibs back but they played us on the counter? How's that work then?

You wanted us to play quick attacking football but if hibs are sitting in and countering surely that makes it difficult? And you need to be patient and wait for chances. 

As for motm being Gordon the sponsors pick it, they probably wanted his top. Woodburn or Beni were motm. 

We created plenty chances, we had 16 shots at goal and not every chance ends in a shot unfortunately. 

Was a good game, unfortunately we never got the breaks it happens. 

Edited by fabienleclerq

19 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

We are right in the mix with Hibs and Aberdeen, they were both close, even early season games. And we now go into a double header against Livingston and Ross County with our unbeaten start intact. We are level with Hibs having played 3 of last seasons top 4. They haven’t played anyone from last seasons top 4

Why do fans expect us to turn up and smash these top 4 teams as the newly promoted side that’s been behind them for several years? Both Hibs and Aberdeen have a huge head start over us in squad building. Their fans will not be happy to see Hearts be the better team than them for large spells of both games considering that cavernous head start they have, we should be streets behind them, but we have shown we are a better team than them and will be an extremely dangerous opponent when the tables turn and we’re going to their shite house stadiums. 

Yesterday boils down to 2 goalkeepers on a mission to keep their clean sheets. They were the reason 0-0 was a fair result in the end and not a bad one for either team.  

:spoton:

343 is here to stay. Unbeaten in the league against 3 of the top 4 sides, Plus 2 away victories. Until it goes tits up why chances what’s putting points on the board? People Need to separate their hatred for Neilson from the team. The players done more than enough to win the game yesterday, and I don’t think anyone played particularly bad.

You also can’t sign a player for every position in one window. We covered every area that was desperate for. RWB wasn’t desperate but it will be going forward. 

You can’t work on a formation all summer, play it in the last 12-15 games(including last season) and just chuck it. Rangers played 433 for 3-4 years now it takes time. 

Bazzas right boot
7 hours ago, DG_HMFC said:

I don't expect it to happen. I do think we are a much better side than we're showing.

Much better side than 3rd place? 

Ooft, fair doos. 

There's nothing wrong with the formation but perhaps we are a little too cautious on the attack.   I think this comes down to courage of players to try to get beyond the gain line.  All too often we took the pass back inside option.  A little more punch up front and we will be a very good side.   

Pasquale for King
9 hours ago, sirwalter said:

Classy 👍🏽

Pasquale for King
7 hours ago, Ugly American said:

Woodburn's shot went over the bar by about 6 inches. Boyce had a decent header that was just high. GMS put two shots on goal immediately before being subbed. (The second was a bit soft but the keeper was leaning the other way and had to stretch.) Another, can't remember who (Haring?), caught a cross from the left wing and played it with his left foot, but had he played it with his right foot the near post was open. Boyce got called for a foul for a very soft touch, which saved the defender from getting a red card as he pulled Boyce down when he was through on goal.

I know you don’t really get it but none of those were good chances, Boyce maybe was unlucky as McGinn like his family and team mates dived and conned the ref who bottled it. 
Shots from outside the box are not good chances. 
We had two, GMS shot saved by the GK and Ginnelly header. Not good enough. 

1 assist from both wing backs combined tells you everything. I think we're close to being a good team and I like 343 but if the wing backs aren't providing the attacking width or if they are and your striker isn't in the box...then you've got a problem.

It's early days, but no goals and no assists from lwb and 1 assist from rwb does suggest it's not the formation for the players we've got. Sadly imo as I like it.

League stats that is.

Edited by Taffin

Pasquale for King
4 hours ago, fabienleclerq said:

Just to confirm you'd rather play Halliday CM over beni or haring? 

You've said hibs played on the counter as they always do. 

So we didn't peg hibs back but they played us on the counter? How's that work then?

You wanted us to play quick attacking football but if hibs are sitting in and countering surely that makes it difficult? And you need to be patient and wait for chances. 

As for motm being Gordon the sponsors pick it, they probably wanted his top. Woodburn or Beni were motm. 

We created plenty chances, we had 16 shots at goal and not every chance ends in a shot unfortunately. 

Was a good game, unfortunately we never got the breaks it happens. 

I explained it up there but if a team wants to sit back and not throw men forward that’s not being pegged back is it, they chose to sit back, nothing to do with us. Anyone that’s watched even a few of their games knows this is how they play, especially in the 2nd half. 
Playing quick passing attacking football is what the manager said he wanted to play, how the opposition set up shouldn’t change this whether they make it difficult or not.

Four shots on target out of sixteen attempts isn’t very good is it? The Hibs GK made one good save.  

Edited by Pasquale for King

We are, without a doubt, difficult to beat... but with a formation that has 2 wingers and 2 wingbacks  - we need somebody in the box attacking crosses - and first time crosses at that - of which there was 1 yesterday and Boyce was about 5 yards behind it! We have 3 'easy' (!?) games coming up and, if Boyce is to continue dropping back, it's time to give Gnando a run out to help and get in front of him. The question is who do we drop? ...but I think in these games, it's worth a try.

1 hour ago, TexasAndy said:

There's nothing wrong with the formation but perhaps we are a little too cautious on the attack.   I think this comes down to courage of players to try to get beyond the gain line.  All too often we took the pass back inside option.  A little more punch up front and we will be a very good side.   

We still tend to move the ball forward very slowly, in stages. Lots of stopping, looking sideways and backwards, as you say. We have some pace in the squad now, so you’d like to think we’ll emerge from the ultra-cautious, risk-averse mindset that has dictated our style for so long. It takes an awful lot of ingenuity for us to create chances as we’re rarely in behind a defence - and consequently we still create very few gilt-edged chances. 

I've been saying for a few weeks that a 4231 formation would suit us better due to having 2 defensively minded wing backs. Although 343 sounds quite attacking, it's effectively playing with 7 defensive players for us. 4231 would give us an extra attacking player. Hopefully we'll see a more attacking, adventurous line up in our next couple of games, our first really against the poorer teams in the league. 

I'm not a big fan of Robbie but he gets some slack from me due to the results and our league position so far. 

18 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

We are, without a doubt, difficult to beat... but with a formation that has 2 wingers and 2 wingbacks  - we need somebody in the box attacking crosses - and first time crosses at that - of which there was 1 yesterday and Boyce was about 5 yards behind it! We have 3 'easy' (!?) games coming up and, if Boyce is to continue dropping back, it's time to give Gnando a run out to help and get in front of him. The question is who do we drop? ...but I think in these games, it's worth a try.

Is Boyce dropping back because he has to, because he’s told to or because he wants to and sees that as part of his game?

I don’t know the answer to that btw. 

2 minutes ago, Paulp74 said:

I've been saying for a few weeks that a 4231 formation would suit us better due to having 2 defensively minded wing backs. Although 343 sounds quite attacking, it's effectively playing with 7 defensive players for us. 4231 would give us an extra attacking player. Hopefully we'll see a more attacking, adventurous line up in our next couple of games, our first really against the poorer teams in the league. 

I'm not a big fan of Robbie but he gets some slack from me due to the results and our league position so far. 

Likewise, but in view of the depth of the squad now, I cant understand why he started with Smith when by his own admission he was only likely to last 60 - 70 minutes. That immediately cuts down the options of the bench and possibly aggravate a niggling injury. We have enough about us  to only field a fully fit outfit.

14 minutes ago, Paulp74 said:

We need to play with 3 attackers and Boyce in front of them.

GMS Woodburn McKay

Boyce

Still leaves 6 players who are strong defensively behind that 4. 

9 minutes ago, 132goals1958 said:

Likewise, but in view of the depth of the squad now, I cant understand why he started with Smith when by his own admission he was only likely to last 60 - 70 minutes. That immediately cuts down the options of the bench and possibly aggravate a niggling injury. We have enough about us  to only field a fully fit outfit.

I thought all our subs were a bit strange yesterday. All just really like for like swops as opposed to mixing things up. 

Just now, GinRummy said:

Is Boyce dropping back because he has to, because he’s told to or because he wants to and sees that as part of his game?

According to a couple on here, RN was seen/heard shouting "10" 🤷‍♂️.. so I couldn't answer either.  IMO, for a forward, he seems to not spend much time in or around the box... or, at least, as much as I would expect for a forward. I get it, the games changed and a lot of teams play with one up front these days... I just feel, if we're playing with wingers and wingbacks - you would assume a few crosses would be firing into the box (it must be part of the plan)... if we had someone to aim at eg. Gnando, more goals would follow. I just feel we're set up to play this way but the person leading the line is told to do something different... at least, this is how it looks to me.

I reckon the first two names on the teamsheet are Gordon and Boyce - and rightly so, but I'm beginning to feel a bit of the frustration directed at Boyce (not that it's entirely his fault.) But I'm also getting de javu - I'm sure there was a thread about this exact same subject last season! 😅

1 minute ago, Rogue Daddy said:

According to a couple on here, RN was seen/heard shouting "10" 🤷‍♂️.. so I couldn't answer either.  IMO, for a forward, he seems to not spend much time in or around the box... or, at least, as much as I would expect for a forward. I get it, the games changed and a lot of teams play with one up front these days... I just feel, if we're playing with wingers and wingbacks - you would assume a few crosses would be firing into the box (it must be part of the plan)... if we had someone to aim at eg. Gnando, more goals would follow. I just feel we're set up to play this way but the person leading the line is told to do something different... at least, this is how it looks to me.

I reckon the first two names on the teamsheet are Gordon and Boyce - and rightly so, but I'm beginning to feel a bit of the frustration directed at Boyce (not that it's entirely his fault.) But I'm also getting de javu - I'm sure there was a thread about this exact same subject last season! 😅

Aye, I said on the other thread. It’s like playing without a centre forward at times. There’s been a few times this season when a balls come into the box and there’s been nobody to take advantage. We need a presence there, I’d prefer that to be Boyce but it needs to be someone. 

29 minutes ago, Paulp74 said:

13 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

We need to play with 3 attackers and Boyce in front of them.

GMS Woodburn McKay

Boyce

Still leaves 6 players who are strong defensively behind that 4. 

Hated 4231 with a passion last season.... but I have to agree with you (both) here. We have some decent personnel now so it may be worth a run! 

39 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I explained it up there but if a team wants to sit back and not throw men forward that’s not being pegged back is it, they chose to sit back, nothing to do with us. Anyone that’s watched even a few of their games knows this is how they play, especially in the 2nd half. 
Playing quick passing attacking football is what the manager said he wanted to play, how the opposition set up shouldn’t change this whether they make it difficult or not.

Four shots on target out of sixteen attempts isn’t very good is it? The Hibs GK made one good save.  

So hibs sat back and we sat back not venturing 30 yards from our own goal? And there was 30 shots at goal during the game? 

How the opposition play has a direct effect on how we play. If they camp in we can hardly play counter attacking quick football can we? 

The hibs keeper has been roundly praised, if that's from one save then it must've been some save. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, fabienleclerq said:

So hibs sat back and we sat back not venturing 30 yards from our own goal? And there was 30 shots at goal during the game? 

How the opposition play has a direct effect on how we play. If they camp in we can hardly play counter attacking quick football can we? 

The hibs keeper has been roundly praised, if that's from one save then it must've been some save. 

You really don’t get it do you. 
Here’s goes for the last time. 
They were on the front foot and pressed us back early on, first 20 minutes. The manager has never had us up for derbies from the start in 8 attempts now. 
We then started venturing further forward from our 18 yard line to 30 yards from goal at best, all because of one player and his pace. There are other ways of dealing with him, he’s a Hibs player after all not Salah or Mane. 
Sitting back doesn’t preclude teams from shooting at goal. 
Who mentioned counter attacking football? We don’t do anything quickly, even though the manager says he wants to, hence the reason we create extremely few chances even if we “dominate” possession (57% is not dominant). 
Teams who play quick attacking football do it no matter who they play, Celtic currently do and aren’t always successful but play that way anyway. Even Hibs play quicker than we do. To be a better team than others usually requires you to stamp your style of play on others, even if you have to adapt it. We were ponderous in possession as per usual. 

Their GK had four shots to save, a good one from GMS and another from Hanlon. Decent game for one of their GKs against us, not an outstanding performance by any means. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Hated 4231 with a passion last season.... but I have to agree with you (both) here. We have some decent personnel now so it may be worth a run! 

It was but usually because of playing two DMs when there was no need to. If we change to that and play two DMs and play the same slow style it will be the same, a bit more urgency is required from the team no matter what the formation is. Hopefully with better players it will produce better football and chances. 

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

You really don’t get it do you. 
Here’s goes for the last time. 
They were on the front foot and pressed us back early on, first 20 minutes. The manager has never had us up for derbies from the start in 8 attempts now. 
We then started venturing further forward from our 18 yard line to 30 yards from goal at best, all because of one player and his pace. There are other ways of dealing with him, he’s a Hibs player after all not Salah or Mane. 
Sitting back doesn’t preclude teams from shooting at goal. 
Who mentioned counter attacking football? We don’t do anything quickly, even though the manager says he wants to, hence the reason we create extremely few chances even if we “dominate” possession (57% is not dominant). 
Teams who play quick attacking football do it no matter who they play, Celtic currently do and aren’t always successful but play that way anyway. Even Hibs play quicker than we do. To be a better team than others usually requires you to stamp your style of play on others, even if you have to adapt it. We were ponderous in possession as per usual. 

Their GK had four shots to save, a good one from GMS and another from Hanlon. Decent game for one of their GKs against us, not an outstanding performance by any means. 

I could sum your opinion up as "doesn't like neilson". All the rest is drivel, it was a good game Hearts played well. 

We could've won 3-0 and you'd still be unhappy. 

4 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

It was but usually because of playing two DMs when there was no need to. If we change to that and play two DMs and play the same slow style it will be the same, a bit more urgency is required from the team no matter what the formation is. Hopefully with better players it will produce better football and chances. 

Hopefully!... with the 4 attackers, it would allow Boyce to be a striker/forward... or if Boyce was to be played as a 10 - Gnando up front. With any luck, the urgency would come ie. with 4 attackers as opposed to 3 (at the moment).

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

I could sum your opinion up as "doesn't like neilson". All the rest is drivel, it was a good game Hearts played well. 

We could've won 3-0 and you'd still be unhappy. 

I don’t like Neilson or his tactics, or folk that know nothing about football. 
As for winning 3-0 nil I would’ve been ecstatic if surprised as this manager has consistently shown he isn’t capable of such an win over them. Two lucky victories in 8 must be one the worst success rates in the last 40 years. 

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Hopefully!... with the 4 attackers, it would allow Boyce to be a striker/forward... or if Boyce was to be played as a 10 - Gnando up front. With any luck, the urgency would come ie. with 4 attackers as opposed to 3 (at the moment).

You would hope so, Woodburn and Mckay would be the other two for me. We would still need to get them the ball a bit quicker. 

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

I don’t like Neilson or his tactics, or folk that know nothing about football. 
As for winning 3-0 nil I would’ve been ecstatic if surprised as this manager has consistently shown he isn’t capable of such an win over them. Two lucky victories in 8 must be one the worst success rates in the last 40 years. 

Self-loathing is such a sad and destructive trait. That psychologist must be very concerned about you. Come on, I'm sure you must have some knowledge of football that you're hiding away? Give yourself a break. There is research to suggest that following a sports team has therapeutic value but I think one probably has to enjoy it. Try to think positively. It will help in time.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
4 hours ago, GinRummy said:

There is an interview with him recently where he said he enjoyed dropping back as part of his game.

In my view that causes a problem for us.

In our formation we really want a striker that wants to be constantly on the front foot.

While I’m on, with Haring in the team, why isn’t he rather than Boyce the target when Craig takes a long goal kick? Gordon would just need to pitch and wedge it to 10 yards or so inside their half at the angle for Haring to have a much better chance of us staying up the park and starting an attack in their half.

4 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

There is an interview with him recently where he said he enjoyed dropping back as part of his game.

In my view that causes a problem for us.

In our formation we really want a striker that wants to be constantly on the front foot.

While I’m on, with Haring in the team, why isn’t he rather than Boyce the target when Craig takes a long goal kick? Gordon would just need to pitch and wedge it to 10 yards or so inside their half at the angle for Haring to have a much better chance of us staying up the park and starting an attack in their half.

I agree completely. 

I think we have to be flexible and also mindful of our opponents. Hibs are a counter attacking team with pace so to adopt Stendel tactics would have been playing into their hands. Ross County will play 451 so we will need to be more attacking if we are to win. 

Edited by jimbojambo