Worst band on the 'scene'

200milesfromgorgie

200milesfromgorgie

Now i'm sure fellow musical nazis like my self will have noticed that due to the expansion of myspace that every ned with a guitar seem to 'win' a record deal nowadays. Now i for one will not knock a talented musician just beacuse they are getting paid for doing something i would like to do.

BUT.... it seems that music has finally been engulphed by he internet and a 'coolness' factor.

1- if you are 'scally-chic' and try to recreate rave music (even though you wernt even alive in 1990) you can have a record deal

2- if you are a male band that use hair products - you can have a record deal

3 - if you put on a fake accent - you can have a record deal

4 - if you band tname is pre-fixed with 'THE' - you can have a record deal

All 'guitar' based bands are just boy/girl pop bands nowadays.

kooky / kitch faux retro *****?

What ever happend to word of mouth (all internet based hype)

buying records (its all mobile phone ringtones now)

going to proper dirty gigs (not O2 presents/AOL loves...)

No art to these bands anymore, no aloof status.

add the new band you hate to this list.

I have so many but i'll start with the Ting Tings

george lamb summed them up perfectley yesterday...

oooh i shake my fist at these kids.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
200milesfromgorgie
George lamb is a stroker.

yes he is but his ting tings comment was brilliant, just wish i could remember the words he used.

Say What Again

I'm not sure which category they would fall into as I've absolutely no idea what they look like/how they came to being, I only know them from hearing their songs on the radio, but the number 1 music hate for me just now is Scouting for Girls.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Kate Nash or that other bird that sings the song about "a punch in the mouth etc etc"

Mockney Bollocks

200milesfromgorgie
I'm not sure which category they would fall into as I've absolutely no idea what they look like/how they came to being, I only know them from hearing their songs on the radio, but the number 1 music hate for me just now is Scouting for Girls.

wouldn't fall into any of the above. but they should. Cheesey frecking 'alternative' pop

200milesfromgorgie
Kate Nash or that other bird that sings the song about "a punch in the mouth etc etc"

Mockney Bollocks

Bravo. turns my stomach to think Billy Bragg did some sort odf duet with her.

200milesfromgorgie
Jack McManus. Total ****e. With a ****e video to match.

don't know who that is. i'll check him out...WITH DISGUST!

blondejamtart

My two "most hated" at the moment have already been mentioned, so I'm glad to see I'm by no means alone in my absolute and utter loathing of both Scouting for Girls and the Ting Tings!!

The People's Chimp
yes he is but his ting tings comment was brilliant, just wish i could remember the words he used.

Aye, i was just being facetious. :rolleyes:

The ting tings are pretty horrible. I saw about a minute of their glastonbury performance and just cringed with embarassment. It was awful. You could tell, from the brief horrible moment i watched, that she knew, she really knew, that she had sold out. For some reason the ting tings keep sending me emails and you get about one a week from them, each another begging letter imploring you to buy their crappy new internet download. As an aside, is that the sound of a powerball that's at the start of that's not my name? It's just that the only person i know who uses a powerball is a fecking twunt.

You're kind of right in your OP, but it's been going on for so long...you had scenesters like menswear cutting about camden with a heroin habit and a line in looking indie enough for a record deal and a little twist of gayness, back in 1996. The majority of these crappy pseudo rock bands are mainly their spiritual heirs. the tings tings though are just a record label creation with a faux internet buzz created around them to lend some form of credibility to their evil plans.

I ended up back at a friend of a friend flat a few weeks ago and some methil madman was there ruining any chance we had with two girls from dublin we had brought back with such winning gems as:

"have you heard the fecking seahorses? best band in the world mate. best band in the world. you saying they arenae? eh? they fecking are."

Now, I'm not saying I wasn't a fan of the seahorses in 1997. But this guy was 21, so he must have been 10 when the seahorses were about. talk about stuck in an indie timewarp....

jamboinglasgow

three words Mark ****ing Ronson. The guy sums up music at the momment, unoriginal music that is tweaked a little to make it sound fresh. To many covers are around and they go for songs in 70's that most young people wont know so it sounds new. If I want to hear Just I will listen to Radiohead, I prefer Valarie when it is sung by the Zutons and so on.

To me the internet should not be hailed as some great thing for discovering new talent as it produces much more manure. Its like panning for gold in a very muddy river just becuase this may discover a small piece of gold it doesn't mean you find much or it will be easy. I like the idea of a great band working from the bottom facing it when there were only a few people at the first gigs and working hard to get on the next rung of the ladder till they are discovered, rather than thinking a song up putting it up on myspace and getting a record deal just like that.

Its the same as youtube, people claims it will give people the chance to make great videos that could be films and it is the new way for people to be discovered but most videos on youtube done by people is just egotisitical idiots who think the world wants to hear what they say.

conn artist

the fratelli's. the wombats, kaiser chiefs. artic monkeys, last shadow puppets, they are all gash.

three words Mark ****ing Ronson. The guy sums up music at the momment, unoriginal music that is tweaked a little to make it sound fresh. To many covers are around and they go for songs in 70's that most young people wont know so it sounds new. If I want to hear Just I will listen to Radiohead, I prefer Valarie when it is sung by the Zutons and so on.

quote]

100% agree with this. That ^^^^ Ronson is a plague on the music scene and makes me sick.

jamboinglasgow
three words Mark ****ing Ronson. The guy sums up music at the momment' date=' unoriginal music that is tweaked a little to make it sound fresh. To many covers are around and they go for songs in 70's that most young people wont know so it sounds new. If I want to hear Just I will listen to Radiohead, I prefer Valarie when it is sung by the Zutons and so on.

quote']

100% agree with this. That ^^^^ Ronson is a plague on the music scene and makes me sick.

it annoyed me that he won a brit for best male solo artist saying it was other people singing songs written by different people that he added a few different bits to.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Jack Johnson or that other **** with the dreadlocks doing pseudo surf lifestyle muzak

It's Simply Red for the new millenium. Music by marketing departments. By sales reps for sales reps. The musical equivalent of a coffee table book.

200milesfromgorgie
Jack Johnson or that other **** with the dreadlocks doing pseudo surf lifestyle muzak

It's Simply Red for the new millenium. Music by marketing departments. By sales reps for sales reps. The musical equivalent of a coffee table book.

not a fan of Jack Johnson at all but who's this dreaded chap you speak so highly of?

P.S. Winehouse and that Pete ****, "ooh we've had such a hard life, give me some crack" Feck off! just Feck off. Billei Holiday, Ray Charles, Robert Johnson now theres some sad souls not these rich kids. aaarrrgghh.

Do you mean the white guy with the dreadlocks, can't remeber his name but he is bloody awful and keeps on ruining songs by doing cover versions....... is it Newton Faulkner???

Gavsy Van Gaverson
Aye, i was just being facetious. :rolleyes:

The ting tings are pretty horrible. I saw about a minute of their glastonbury performance and just cringed with embarassment. It was awful. You could tell, from the brief horrible moment i watched, that she knew, she really knew, that she had sold out. For some reason the ting tings keep sending me emails and you get about one a week from them, each another begging letter imploring you to buy their crappy new internet download. As an aside, is that the sound of a powerball that's at the start of that's not my name? It's just that the only person i know who uses a powerball is a fecking twunt.

You're kind of right in your OP, but it's been going on for so long...you had scenesters like menswear cutting about camden with a heroin habit and a line in looking indie enough for a record deal and a little twist of gayness, back in 1996. The majority of these crappy pseudo rock bands are mainly their spiritual heirs. the tings tings though are just a record label creation with a faux internet buzz created around them to lend some form of credibility to their evil plans.

I ended up back at a friend of a friend flat a few weeks ago and some methil madman was there ruining any chance we had with two girls from dublin we had brought back with such winning gems as:

"have you heard the fecking seahorses? best band in the world mate. best band in the world. you saying they arenae? eh? they fecking are."

Now, I'm not saying I wasn't a fan of the seahorses in 1997. But this guy was 21, so he must have been 10 when the seahorses were about. talk about stuck in an indie timewarp....

I loved 'The Seahorses' in 1997 but find it strange than ANYONE would say that about them nowadays.

I've actually not listened to them in years. I'm going to tonight.

Have to say i hate every band mentioned here so far. Will add my chemical romance, and their likes to the list. The problem with these guys is that none of them can even have a drug/alcohol addiction like they used to! Oh and i also saw the ting tings peformance at glastonbury (on tv) and it truly was appaling. not that i expected any better mind. Im sure plenty of people would hate a lot of the music i listen to but at least i know its not manufactured 'scene' garbage. Oh and calvin harris-words cannot describe my hatred.

I loved 'The Seahorses' in 1997 but find it strange than ANYONE would say that about them nowadays.

I've actually not listened to them in years. I'm going to tonight.

The Seahorses were great. Seen their lead singer do quite a few solo gigs around Manchester and he's great live, does a lot of acoustic stuff too.

cosanostra

The Klaxons

Hadouken

Hot Chip

Ting Tings

All absolutely terrible.

Men who wear skinny jeans should be shot.

I can honestly say I haven't heard of more than half the bands mentioned on the thread, never mind heard their music.

It's easy to ignore the ****e nowadays.

Gavsy Van Gaverson
The Seahorses were great. Seen their lead singer do quite a few solo gigs around Manchester and he's great live, does a lot of acoustic stuff too.

Chris Helme - I think :cool:

The People's Chimp

Yeah, they were great at the time, but you know, very much of their time as well. Just so strange for some 21 yr old with an advanced ocean colour scene haircut to be really aggressive at a party about the fecking seahorses. pretty random banter. Mind you, he was from methil, so maybe that explains it.

Say What Again
I can honestly say I haven't heard of more than half the bands mentioned on the thread, never mind heard their music.

It's easy to ignore the ****e nowadays.

You're not alone mate. I've just had a quick skim of the 'artists' mentioned on the thread and it's almost exactly half I've never heard of.

Ivan Drago

Razorlight are far worse than any band mentioned on this thread.

Don't know if they count as part of the 'scene' though.

The only band who come close to being as offensively ****e as Razorlight are The Enemy. I dont think i've actively hated any band as much as those two.

Take Thats last album was far better than anything those cocktwats could ever come up with.

I ended up back at a friend of a friend flat a few weeks ago and some methil madman was there ruining any chance we had with two girls from dublin we had brought back

Aye right. Bet it was your patter that scared them off.

The People's Chimp
Aye right. Bet it was your patter that scared them off.

You may be right. i was pretty tired. :rolleyes:

Bobby_swing_the_bar

I still love the Seahorses, maybe its a living in Fife thing? It is kind of a timewarp here.

Agree with the rest of the bands though, most of them are awful. Pretty sure Scouting for Girls, The Feeling and The Hoosiers are the same band with different make up.

Actually gone off Indie a lot. I think indie and R n B has become less popular in recent times. Dance and trance is where it is. :)

cosanostra
In fact any Indie type music nowadays.

Have to agree with that. The indie scene has been **** poor for years.

The last indie records that i liked were OK computer - Radiohead, Mercury Rev - Deserters Songs, Mogwai - Young Team, Arab Strap - Monday At The Hug & Pint and Gomez - Bring it on.

Now i'm sure fellow musical nazis like my self will have noticed that due to the expansion of myspace that every ned with a guitar seem to 'win' a record deal nowadays. Now i for one will not knock a talented musician just beacuse they are getting paid for doing something i would like to do.

BUT.... it seems that music has finally been engulphed by he internet and a 'coolness' factor.

1- if you are 'scally-chic' and try to recreate rave music (even though you wernt even alive in 1990) you can have a record deal

2- if you are a male band that use hair products - you can have a record deal

3 - if you put on a fake accent - you can have a record deal

4 - if you band tname is pre-fixed with 'THE' - you can have a record deal

All 'guitar' based bands are just boy/girl pop bands nowadays.

kooky / kitch faux retro *****?

What ever happend to word of mouth (all internet based hype)

buying records (its all mobile phone ringtones now)

going to proper dirty gigs (not O2 presents/AOL loves...)

No art to these bands anymore, no aloof status.

add the new band you hate to this list.

I have so many but i'll start with the Ting Tings

george lamb summed them up perfectley yesterday...

oooh i shake my fist at these kids.

"There's only music so that there's new ringtones"- A Certain Romance by the Arctic Monkeys sums a lot of it up perfectly.

Have to agree with that. The indie scene has been **** poor for years.

The last indie records that i liked were OK computer - Radiohead, Mercury Rev - Deserters Songs, Mogwai - Young Team, Arab Strap - Monday At The Hug & Pint and Gomez - Bring it on.

Listened to both last week.Rev still fresh but the Gomez sadly time has not done it any favours.

Malcolm Tucker

The Feeling, The Fratelli's, Kooks, Ting Ting's, Scouting for Girls, The Pigeon Detectives. All utter utter rubbish. It's easy listening ****-indie for the masses. "Oh, lets just make songs that sound the exact same and see if people will like it........they do? Spiffing, now lets go and tell the NME how great we are." Makes me sick.

Arctic Monkeys, Errors, Radiohead, Mogwai. These are good bands.

Razorlight are far worse than any band mentioned on this thread.

Don't know if they count as part of the 'scene' though.

The only band who come close to being as offensively ****e as Razorlight are The Enemy. I dont think i've actively hated any band as much as those two.

Take Thats last album was far better than anything those cocktwats could ever come up with.

You're havin a laugh right?! Take That, Westlife etc and bands in that mould are the worst of all. Get some songwriter to write some soppy lyrics then they're put to some crap pop tune. I like most of the artists that have been mentioned, they've got some decent songs which I like listening to. You can't argue that they're all talented in some way, and at least they always perform live unlike Girls Aloud/Mariah Carey types. But arguments about music are pathetic, if you don't like a band, don't listen to them, it's not difficult.

The Klaxons

Hadouken

Hot Chip

Ting Tings

All absolutely terrible.

Men who wear skinny jeans should be shot.

hot chip have some great songs (and i was a boy from school is genius).

other than them, every band mentioned on here should be rounded up and shot.

ESPECIALLY

MARK FUNTING RONSON

the man is an utter cretin, takes great songs and throws ****ing trumpets at them and gets some idiot to sing them...i mean..."stop me if you've heard this one before"...one of the greatest songs ever...why? WHY?

i hate him.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much.

The Feeling, The Fratelli's, Kooks, Ting Ting's, Scouting for Girls, The Pigeon Detectives. All utter utter rubbish. It's easy listening ****-indie for the masses. "Oh, lets just make songs that sound the exact same and see if people will like it........they do? Spiffing, now lets go and tell the NME how great we are." Makes me sick.

amen

scott_jambo

Peddled by NME as the next Oasis etc.. for months.

In reality. Very ordinary band.

scott_jambo
You're havin a laugh right?! Take That, Westlife etc and bands in that mould are the worst of all. Get some songwriter to write some soppy lyrics then they're put to some crap pop tune. I like most of the artists that have been mentioned, they've got some decent songs which I like listening to. You can't argue that they're all talented in some way, and at least they always perform live unlike Girls Aloud/Mariah Carey types. But arguments about music are pathetic, if you don't like a band, don't listen to them, it's not difficult.

He didnt say Take That, Westlife etc.. He said Take That, and Take That members are more talented at singing than scouting for pigeons or the girl detectives will ever be with their instruments.

Deal with that fact that indie is 99% crap.

listen to zepplin floyd and hendrix experience for a month and you will seriously be soul destroyed by the music today.

Thats coming from me, a 21 year old, so its not an age thing!

Moral of the story --Just because you have a guitar in your hand doesnt suddenly make your band legitimate or better than a pop group.

Excellent thread.

As a self confessed "indie kid", today's offerings sicken me. Scouting for Girls, Hoosiers, Fratellis, Kooks, whoever sings that effing "just for tonight" song.................why bother?

Why do they hate music to such a degree to inflict their ear cancer upon us?

I really don't know whether to feel sorry for those going to T in the P, or applaud them for their martyrdom.

jamboinglasgow
He didnt say Take That, Westlife etc.. He said Take That, and Take That members are more talented at singing than scouting for pigeons or the girl detectives will ever be with their instruments.

Deal with that fact that indie is 99% crap.

listen to zepplin floyd and hendrix experience for a month and you will seriously be soul destroyed by the music today.

Thats coming from me, a 21 year old, so its not an age thing!

Moral of the story --Just because you have a guitar in your hand doesnt suddenly make your band legitimate or better than a pop group.

As a fellow 21 year old I agree that zepplin and floyd are great bands and should be given to all teenagers to give them a proper education in music. However I do also like indie and I agree that most are rubbish but I think one or two are decent. I think the artic monkeys are a great band who suffer from the best and worst possible situation, everyone likes them as it seems that it is the cool thing (including politicions.) This means proper music fans can see them as poor. I think they are supperor lyricists and not to every ones taste.

But I agree on others as they are too similar and bland, used to like Kaiser Chiefs before everyone started listening to them but now cant stand them.

I think a testement to the current music is to think do any bands of recent years be classified as a great band of the decades. So in the 60's you had the beatles, the who, the rolling stones. And so on but who is the band of the '00s?

scott_jambo
Excellent thread.

As a self confessed "indie kid", today's offerings sicken me. Scouting for Girls, Hoosiers, Fratellis, Kooks, whoever sings that effing "just for tonight" song.................why bother?

Why do they hate music to such a degree to inflict their ear cancer upon us?

I really don't know whether to feel sorry for those going to T in the P, or applaud them for their martyrdom.

T in the Park is just a place for neds that cant afford a holiday to ibiza now, they also like to feel that their part of a music scene once a weekend every year.

Most of them couldn't name you a RATM song, haven't heard any early biffy stuff and probably believe that The Fratelli's are the main headliners.

Yawn. Go listen to clubland you idiotic fools!

Archived