***Official Celtic v Hearts LC Match Thread***

colinmaroon

1 hour ago, Barack said:

Celtic win. By at least two. 

Unfortunately this.

They will be up for revenge and with a full crowd behind them and probably a dodgy referee.

Neilson will probably try and park the bus when the only chance we have is to attack them from the off.

Really hope I am wrong though. 😏

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• Harry Potter

• daavojaay

• Cruyff

39 minutes ago, Mars plastic said:

A right scudding is on the cards as cup competitions aren’t high on Coach Neilson’s priority list. 

‘consolidating our position in the league’ will be the line trotted out post match. 

This is where I’m at. Would love to see us beat them again but just can’t see it, if they have 70odd% possession again it’s gonna be a long afternoon. Just hope if it does happen it doesn’t derail out decent form going back to league business. 

First big domestic team for them since the return of fans, if that doesn’t attract a big crowd nothing will, which will also heavily go against us. 

Other than that, **** then and cmon the hearts 🇱🇻

We need to find somewhere between how we started and how we finished at Tynie in respect of set-up.

The media and other non Hearts people are sitting there waiting on

the “typical Hearts performance” at Parkhead.  Back to square one and our stock isn’t any higher after an unconvincing performance.

We need to work towards changing all that.  We still need to be positive and have enough of our main threats on the pitch.

Part of our problem over the years through there was having too many cooks at the back. 

Too many bodies ball watching and passing the buck to the next player to defend in a crammed penalty box.

Edited by Debut 4

Celtic have responded well to the Tynecastle defeat so they will be a much harder proposition.   I am just looking for us to compete.  Get stuck in, be brave on the ball and who knows.  

On 10/08/2021 at 00:14, JimmyCant said:

Couldn’t agree more. Rest one of the wingers. maybe both. It’s not even a rest, it purely tactical. I’d play Gnando up front and Boyce switching between deep and supporting. Haring Halliday and Beni in a solid midfield 3. All 3 can defend. All 3 can pass. All 3 can attack. And we get width from the full backs. If we get in the shit or tire we’ll have 2 game changers and out balls on the bench in Ginelly and GMS. Very hard work making sure they don’t hurt us from wide but it’s do-able. We’ll not get away with 77% unchallenged possession for an hour a second time so we definitely need to plug the midfield overload they had last time.

Nailed it. And Robbie needs to get our lads pumped up and not just full of clinical theory!

Mars plastic
1 hour ago, EH11 2NL said:

This is where I’m at. Would love to see us beat them again but just can’t see it, if they have 70odd% possession again it’s gonna be a long afternoon. Just hope if it does happen it doesn’t derail out decent form going back to league business. 

First big domestic team for them since the return of fans, if that doesn’t attract a big crowd nothing will, which will also heavily go against us. 

Other than that, **** then and cmon the hearts 🇱🇻

I mind going through there in January 2011 when we were challenging for the league at that point having won about 10 of our previous 12 or 13 games. Got pumped 4 zip.

2 hours ago, Mars plastic said:

I mind going through there in January 2011 when we were challenging for the league at that point having won about 10 of our previous 12 or 13 games. Got pumped 4 zip.

That was a great run. JJ had us flying 

2 hours ago, Mars plastic said:

Been to Celtic park many times. More than 30 I’d have thought. Seen us winning twice and once wasn’t even against Celtic 

We can’t “expect” to get anything out of this. Celtic are ten times our size on various metrix. We did well to beat them at Tynie with no Celtic fans, small pitch, them struggling to get their team working together. 
They have had more time together, bigger pitch, 60k Celtic fans, increased pressure on ref from fans. They will know our team/set-up better. 
If we lose, even scudded, that is not out of line with what “expectations” should be. 
I just hope we play positive. Try to create chances and a bit of luck on our side gives us a decent result. 
If we do get scudded, I won’t be calling for heads. I will be disappointed but move on. 

Nothing to fear Sunday, free shot at this lot. We shouldn't fear them whatsoever. I would play the strongest 11. The last few years against away to the old firm we have always shat the bed. Take the game to them and have a go.

Another away ground we haven't won since 2009 I think😬

I would go:

Gordon

Smith

Kingsley

Halks

Soapy

Cochrane

Halliday or Haring

Beni

Gino

Boycie

GMS

weegie jambo

I really don't think we have anything to fear with this tie. OK, so on first glance celtic* have improved a fair bit after beating Dundee and progressing in Europe, however  both Dundee and the team they knocked out are not exactly top quality opponents and ourselves and even an under performing celtic^ would be expecting to get a result against those teams. I watched their European games on TV and saw the Dundee highlights and to my mind the only great difference is the Japanese boy coming onto a bit of form. Despite knocking in a few goals they still look fragile to me and their defence looks shaky. The new centre back doesn't look commanding in the air and I would like to see Gnando on from the start to test them arielly. If we press and harry continually and don't let them have as much possession as they did at Tynecastle then I think we can win. We have options to change personel but I would keep the basis 3-4-3 but bring in Gnando for either Josh or GMS. Maybe an extra body in midfield would be good as a bit of security. I would suggest McEneff would can also play the No 10 roll. 

Celtic have improved but are far from brilliant.  If we sit back we will lose by 2 or 3.  A draw is no use to anyone so let’s just have a go.

StirlingJambo

Nothing to lose lets just go for it. Stick Boyce and Gnando up top and make their defence work. Celtics defence is still pish and are there for the taking. If we sit in like we did in the first half at Hampden in December we’ve no chance.

Pasquale for King
9 hours ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Unfortunately this.

They will be up for revenge and with a full crowd behind them and probably a dodgy referee.

Neilson will probably try and park the bus when the only chance we have is to attack them from the off.

Really hope I am wrong though. 😏

Doesn’t look like it will be anywhere near a full house, not easy to get over from Ireland on a Sunday. 
It would be nice to have a go from the start, not wait until we are behind as per usual. GMS and Ginnelly in behind on that big pitch will surely cause problems. 

No Idle Talk

I am not expecting us to make it to the next round so most of my focus in this game will be on our performance.

If we go through there and get scudded by the usual 3-0 4-1 type scoreline and spend most of the match on the back foot then I will be a bit despondent. If we go through there and lose 2-1 but create chances and have Celtic worried then I'll not be too downbeat. That sort of performance will keep our confidence level up and will send us to Tannadice next weekend still in a good place.

Just make them earn it, Hearts. That is all I ask of you.

Scott Leitch

I just hope Neilson will at least go out and let us have a bit of a go. Sick and tired of the usual cowardly performances and losing by 3 or more. Sadly I don't think anything will change.

Fozzyonthefence
1 hour ago, Forever Hearts said:

Robbie will soil himself at Harthill and we'll get pumped 4 or 5 nil. 

That will be progress at least, it’s normally by Newbridge and not just Robbie either.  Players and managers alike. 

Pasquale for King
23 minutes ago, andydog said:

We’ve done alright in the last 2 games against them. Hopefully again this weekend 

Good point. Nothing to fear really, better to have a go and get beat than sit back and regret it. 

Pasquale for King

Halliday will need to be more careful, any dodgy challenge will have the great unwashed up in arms and pressure the ref. 

4 hours ago, weegie jambo said:

I really don't think we have anything to fear with this tie. OK, so on first glance celtic* have improved a fair bit after beating Dundee and progressing in Europe, however  both Dundee and the team they knocked out are not exactly top quality opponents and ourselves and even an under performing celtic^ would be expecting to get a result against those teams. I watched their European games on TV and saw the Dundee highlights and to my mind the only great difference is the Japanese boy coming onto a bit of form. Despite knocking in a few goals they still look fragile to me and their defence looks shaky. The new centre back doesn't look commanding in the air and I would like to see Gnando on from the start to test them arielly. If we press and harry continually and don't let them have as much possession as they did at Tynecastle then I think we can win. We have options to change personel but I would keep the basis 3-4-3 but bring in Gnando for either Josh or GMS. Maybe an extra body in midfield would be good as a bit of security. I would suggest McEneff would can also play the No 10 roll. 

Gnando to test them, will need to be a bit more physical and also get his feet off the ground when he jumps 😏.

Didn’t we beat Celtic at park head in a couple of league cup games in consecutive seasons? Seem to remember velicka scoring a double in one game and Stewart scoring a pen in the other 

7 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Didn’t we beat Celtic at park head in a couple of league cup games in consecutive seasons? Seem to remember velicka scoring a double in one game and Stewart scoring a pen in the other 

Not consecutive, 2007 and 2009.

We are always expected to lose over there but we don't always lose.  Going out on penalties, again, would be very hard to take.

I'm picking us to win.

8 hours ago, Sid said:

We can’t “expect” to get anything out of this. Celtic are ten times our size on various metrix. We did well to beat them at Tynie with no Celtic fans, small pitch, them struggling to get their team working together. 
They have had more time together, bigger pitch, 60k Celtic fans, increased pressure on ref from fans. They will know our team/set-up better. 
If we lose, even scudded, that is not out of line with what “expectations” should be. 
I just hope we play positive. Try to create chances and a bit of luck on our side gives us a decent result. 
If we do get scudded, I won’t be calling for heads. I will be disappointed but move on. 

That's what I was thinking.

Then I spent the last couple nights watching these.

Scudded them both and look at the nick of the teams we did it with.

Mon the Hearts

(Please excuse the thumbnail on that bottom video.)

• 1Hamilton
  • 27StrunaBooked at 42mins
  • 19Nowak   for Avlonitis at 71'minutes
  • 5Hughes
  • 46Sowah
  • 7Walker
  • 15Cowie
  • 6Kitchen
  • 88Martin  for Tziolis at 55'minutes
  • 20Johnsen  for Nicholson at 64'minutes
  • 77Esmael Gonçalves
  •  
  • 1McLaughlin
  • 30Brandon
  • 2Smith
  • 6Berra
  • 16Randall
  • 8Buaben   for McDonald at 67'minutes
  • 47Cochrane
  • 15CowieBooked at 34mins
  • 20Callachan   for Grzelakat 85'minutes
  • 11Milinkovic
  • 9Lafferty  Substituted for Stockton at 72'minutes

8 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Been to Celtic park many times. More than 30 I’d have thought. Seen us winning twice and once wasn’t even against Celtic 

This for me as well although the one not against them was GLORIOUS. 

Back on subject

3 nil Heart of Midlothian GMS Boyce and Halkett :flagwave:

Captain Canada

We need to try our best to have a go. Their back five is definitely the weakest part of their team and I think we can cause them problems. 

They have a lot of very good attacking midfielders though and it's so important that we're able to keep possession so it's not just wave after wave of pressure. 

Gordon Ramsay
6 hours ago, Forever Hearts said:

Robbie will soil himself at Harthill and we'll get pumped 4 or 5 nil. 

More than likely.

Bazzas right boot

If we concede early it could get messy. 

If we can keep it tight then we might give them A problem.

Unfortunately, I think they will score early, we'll fold and get pumped. 

No Idle Talk

It's depressing to read this thread and see so many PHM thinking the same way I am. Guess we've all seen this movie before.

Hopefully the JTs will put up more of a fight this time.

Mars plastic
17 hours ago, Rudi5kaceldream1ng said:

Don't care but hope we put in decent performance. League more important. 

I’d take finishing tenth in the league to win this cup. Couldn’t give two hoots about finishing third or fourth then getting pumped out of Europe from some no mark Maltese goat herders before the schools are back. 

Sadly fear we’re going to be on the receiving end of some revenge here. Celtic should win this at a canter, they’ll be right up for it after we embarrassed them on opening day. If it was at tynie again I’d give us half a chance but beating them at parkhead  with a full house of only their lot behind them is a very difficult ask. If we pulled it off it’d be one of the biggest upset wins by us in my lifetime.

It'll be really difficult trying to contain their attack, they look dangerous.

Their defence is atrocious though, they're vulnerable. I don't expect us to take the game to them, they'll cut through any team who come at them easily. I think our counter attacks will be important, we'll soak up a lot of pressure and I expect we'll be forced back into a 5-2-3 for a lot of the game again...but there will be chances to break, we just need to be clinical.

I hope we get in about them, rough up their skilful players right from the start and make them scared to take the ball.

2-1 Hearts again... let's do it.

Whatever happens the club is at last moving in the right direction.

Next time we play them we will hopefully have the full strength team with new signings.

That's when we can judge properly.

Edited by Turkishcap
Spelling,

kingantti1874

Expectations are extremely low today. I won’t be holding the outcome against neilson.

****ing irritated however tthat we have to play these ***** again already when we’ve got some great momentum 

No  idea.  They’ll be after some revenge, and as is usual if they score a couple early it could be a rout.

Hopefully we can keep it tight, keep possession more and everyone plays a blinder.  I hate playing at Ibrox and Parkhead and rarely even bother watching the live streams , such is our record there.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, marcus said:

It'll be really difficult trying to contain their attack, they look dangerous.

Their defence is atrocious though, they're vulnerable. I don't expect us to take the game to them, they'll cut through any team who come at them easily. I think our counter attacks will be important, we'll soak up a lot of pressure and I expect we'll be forced back into a 5-2-3 for a lot of the game again...but there will be chances to break, we just need to be clinical.

I hope we get in about them, rough up their skilful players right from the start and make them scared to take the ball.

2-1 Hearts again... let's do it.

Agree, if we use the ball better we can hurt them on the counter, but to open up v them would be football suicide. 

Cosidering all the doom and gloom about this one, I’m actually looking forward to see how we fair. Kept my Premier sport subscription going for it and hope I'm still keeping it after 90mins or even 120!

billybalfour

Can we not get a bit more positive here.The last twice we have played them we drew in Glasgow and won at Tynie.If I recall correctly the same gloom and doom was being trotted out for these games.This manager could be a complete dud and as a few have said their defence isn't the greatest.If Gnando plays instead of Ginnelly or GMS it may cause them problems.Our first 11 looks pretty good but we are weak on the bench at the moment.Let's hope the ref. doesn't revert to type now that crowds are back.

11 minutes ago, billybalfour said:

Can we not get a bit more positive here.The last twice we have played them we drew in Glasgow and won at Tynie.If I recall correctly the same gloom and doom was being trotted out for these games.This manager could be a complete dud and as a few have said their defence isn't the greatest.If Gnando plays instead of Ginnelly or GMS it may cause them problems.Our first 11 looks pretty good but we are weak on the bench at the moment.Let's hope the ref. doesn't revert to type now that crowds are back.

I’m torn on Gnando playing or not tbh. On the one hand going 3-5-2 let’s us shore up central midfield and enables us to play balls over the top but on the other hand, it’s a big pitch and Ginnelly and GMS could do well. 

Edited by GinRummy

3 hours ago, GinRummy said:

I’m torn on Gnando playing or not tbh. On the one hand going 3-5-2 let’s us shore up central midfield and enables us to play balls over the top but on the other hand, it’s a big pitch and Ginnelly and GMS could do well. 

I don't think any of Ginnelly , GMS or Gnando have the legs to last 90 minutes on what is a big pitch at Parkhead.

For that reason I have a feeling Robbie will change his formation and maybe start more defensively and change it later.

I just hope that he has a go at them.

Ex member of the SaS

It has been proven in the past the ONLY way to beat either of the Glasgow bigots is to get stuck in. Attack their defenders and stop them spraying passes around. Tackle and take the ball from the defenders before they get to the half way line, in doing so you have half the pitch to their goal line rather than the full pitch from our own line.

If you allow them all of their half and let them pick passes into the danger areas then you have already lost the game. No team in this league can defend for the whole game and hope to stop them scoring.