• Konrad von Carstein

• iantjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

luckyBatistuta
24 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Sharknado 

A classic movie with the lads, a Chinese and a few beers

1 minute ago, jonesy said:

Any and all of this Marvel pish that everyone seems to have been tugging themselves over for the past decade.

I mean, for **** sake, has your imagination been so destroyed by playing video games that that's the best you can do?

I remember two in particular. Went to see X-Men in the cinema. Fell asleep after about 15 minutes, bored shitless. Then Unbreakable. Walked out. 

Superhero films are, almost without exception, absolute pish, from premise to execution.

You should try watching Deadpool. A film of that genre that successfully takes the piss out the same genre. Sick humour, graphic violence, and some top notch swearing. 

pharmaceutical01

Don’t know if mentioned before …Johnny Depp in Sweeney Todd: the Demon Barber …..:the film is bad enough but that ugly little cretin had to sing in it as well

Edited by pharmaceutical01

Byyy The Light
15 minutes ago, Tazio said:

You should try watching Deadpool. A film of that genre that successfully takes the piss out the same genre. Sick humour, graphic violence, and some top notch swearing. 

Tremendous movie 

JudyJudyJudy
30 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Any and all of this Marvel pish that everyone seems to have been tugging themselves over for the past decade.

I mean, for **** sake, has your imagination been so destroyed by playing video games that that's the best you can do?

I remember two in particular. Went to see X-Men in the cinema. Fell asleep after about 15 minutes, bored shitless. Then Unbreakable. Walked out. 

Superhero films are, almost without exception, absolute pish, from premise to execution.

Yes agreed . I saw one a couple years back and can’t recall which one but it seemed  to go On forever and had anti climax after anti climax ! I see pike to my friend after it whom I saw it with and felt the same . We are both surprised neither of us just walked out half way though it 

27 minutes ago, Tazio said:

It’s brilliant 

JudyJudyJudy

“ Mother “ With Jennifer Lawrence was awful . I sat watchin it and just wondering if it could get any worse ! It did !! Incredible to think it’s the same director of the incredible “ requiem for a dream “ 

JudyJudyJudy
45 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

The Talented Mr Ripley and Magnolia were awful too, Aquaman also. 

I loved “ the talented mr Ripley “ very faithful to the classic Patricia Highsmith book 

2 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

I know that I'm in a minority here, especially as it won the Best Picture Oscar, but I found it boring. Put it down to my lack of taste.  :biggrin2:

Nah, I agree. It was awful.

A pile of pretentious shite.

I'm not sure how the sweary language goes on here but i think my meme above serves the post well.

And of course its all im jest :smile:

Beneath the Skin - the unwatchable garbage Scarlett Johansson made on her 6 month holiday in Glasgow. Saw her on Byers Rd once walk by with her boyfriend. 😂 The film is too bad for words.

Baby Driver - I detested this film. Awful stuff.

The Batman film that had Arnold Schwarzenegger in it. 

They're the worst things that spring to mind.

49 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

“ Mother “ With Jennifer Lawrence was awful . I sat watchin it and just wondering if it could get any worse ! It did !! Incredible to think it’s the same director of the incredible “ requiem for a dream “ 

There are some films that don’t take themselves seriously but are so bad they’re great - Commando, The Room, Bloodsport etc. I love rewatching them. Then there are some films that are made ‘seriously’ but are ****ing dreadful. Darren Aronofsky has made some truly great films - Requiem For A Dream, The Wrestler, Black Swan - but I don’t think I’ve ever hated a film as much as Mother. I sat in the cinema getting increasingly angry about how ****ing shite it was. Great director, great cast and the most ham-fisted pish I’ve ever seen. I’m getting angry even thinking about it now!

JudyJudyJudy
22 minutes ago, Zico said:

There are some films that don’t take themselves seriously but are so bad they’re great - Commando, The Room, Bloodsport etc. I love rewatching them. Then there are some films that are made ‘seriously’ but are ****ing dreadful. Darren Aronofsky has made some truly great films - Requiem For A Dream, The Wrestler, Black Swan - but I don’t think I’ve ever hated a film as much as Mother. I sat in the cinema getting increasingly angry about how ****ing shite it was. Great director, great cast and the most ham-fisted pish I’ve ever seen. I’m getting angry even thinking about it now!

Agreed ! 

5 hours ago, Dirty Deeds said:

Dead Poets Society 

Troll type post IMHO

Governor Tarkin
9 hours ago, redjambo said:

Lost in Translation.

I really enjoyed this.

Excellent soundtrack too.

Alone in Kyoto. :sweeet:

Governor Tarkin
18 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

A mate of mine (an archivist) spent an afternoon at his house about 15 years ago. 

All the models in the films he worked on were dotted around the place. 

That would be a surreal experience. :)

Malinga the Swinga
7 hours ago, cosanostra said:

Beneath the Skin - the unwatchable garbage Scarlett Johansson made on her 6 month holiday in Glasgow. Saw her on Byers Rd once walk by with her boyfriend. 😂 The film is too bad for words.

Baby Driver - I detested this film. Awful stuff.

The Batman film that had Arnold Schwarzenegger in it. 

They're the worst things that spring to mind.

Soundtrack to Baby Driver is fantastic though and is well worth a listen.

William H. Bonney
9 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

The Talented Mr Ripley and Magnolia were awful too, Aquaman also. 

I don’t think you and I will ever have a movie night together. 
Two of the greatest films of the 90’s. 

10 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

I know that I'm in a minority here, especially as it won the Best Picture Oscar, but I found it boring. Put it down to my lack of taste.  :biggrin2:

Don't back down Maple, I'm wth you on the English Patient!
Funnily enough I was flying to Canada and it was in the days where in flight entertainment was a small screen in the head rest of the seat in front and a choice of take it or leave it. Flying Glasgow to Totonto the film was the English Patient, dull, dull self indulgent and dull despite Juliet Binoche.
Changed flights at Toronto to fly on to Vancouver, and the only in flight film was .... The English Patient. Even worse second time round 😂

scott herbertson

The remake of the brilliant dutch horror film the Vanishing . Jeff Bridges in a happy ending to please the US audience - jeez!

Talking of horror films Plan 9 from Outer Space and Phantasm are two corkers of badly made films (unless you think they are spoofs)

8 hours ago, Zico said:

The Room was meant to be taken seriously. It's just that nobody did. 

8 hours ago, cosanostra said:

Forgot about this one. I switched it off after half an hour. Dreadful. 

17 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

The Room was meant to be taken seriously. It's just that nobody did. 

By Wiseau maybe, just nobody else that worked on the film!

Only two films I’ve walked off were Chain Reaction (Keanu Reeves) and To Woo Fong, Thanks For Everything!  Julie Newmarch (Patrick Swayze and Wesley Snipes) an American take on the brilliant ‘Priscilla, Queen of the Desert’.

12 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

I liked both of these  :D

Boo!

So did many folk. :) It seems that people either love them or hate them. I just thought that both were pretentious rubbish that tried to shout to the world that they had depth/atmosphere when none actually existed. Hence my considering them to be "Emperor's new clothes" films.

Glad you liked them though.

JudyJudyJudy
3 hours ago, Furious Styles said:

The English patient is stunning . Said it before . The acting is superb . Particularly from the beautiful Juliette Binoche and her English counterpart Kirsten Scott Thomas . Knowing some of you lads on this I thought it might score some brownie points for even that 😂 I love when she says to him in the cave “ Say you’ll come back for me” and he says “ I will come back for you “ ( it’s very romantic ) 

2 hours ago, RobboM said:

Funnily enough I was flying to Canada and it was in the days where in flight entertainment was a small screen in the head rest of the seat in front and a choice of take it or leave it. Flying Glasgow to Totonto the film was the English Patient, dull, dull self indulgent and dull despite Juliet Binoche.
Changed flights at Toronto to fly on to Vancouver, and the only in flight film was .... The English Patient. Even worse second time round 😂

See above 

2 hours ago, scott herbertson said:

The remake of the brilliant dutch horror film the Vanishing . Jeff Bridges in a happy ending to please the US audience - jeez!

Talking of horror films Plan 9 from Outer Space and Phantasm are two corkers of badly made films (unless you think they are spoofs)

Oh yes that was awful Jeff us usually a terrific actor but that films a dud . Never try and remake a classic film . The original is so disturbing 

scott herbertson
1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

The English patient is stunning . Said it before . The acting is superb . Particularly from the beautiful Juliette Binoche and her English counterpart Kirsten Scott Thomas . Knowing some of you lads on this I thought it might score some brownie points for even that 😂 I love when she says to him in the cave “ Say you’ll come back for me” and he says “ I will come back for you “ ( it’s very romantic ) 

See above 

Oh yes that was awful Jeff us usually a terrific actor but that films a dud . Never try and remake a classic film . The original is so disturbing 

It's not a coincidence you think Highsmith is great if you like the original of the vanishing - very similar feel in my opinion

32 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Boo!

So did many folk. :) It seems that people either love them or hate them. I just thought that both were pretentious rubbish that tried to shout to the world that they had depth/atmosphere when none actually existed. Hence my considering them to be "Emperor's new clothes" films.

Glad you liked them though.

If you think they are pretentious, stay well clear of "The Tree of Life", which is actually worthy of mention in this thread. 

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, Furious Styles said:

Critically acclaimed films also, maybe I should watch them again? What should I be looking for?

JudyJudyJudy
3 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

It's not a coincidence you think Highsmith is great if you like the original of the vanishing - very similar feel in my opinion

Yes that’s true . She wrote great psychological thrillers I feel . The best crime writer in my opinion . She wrote “ strangers on a train “ too ( Hitchcock) as well as many other classics . Her main characters always seem to spiral to a sticky ending . She never was one for happy endings in her books ! Apart from the Ripley books 

scott herbertson
19 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes that’s true . She wrote great psychological thrillers I feel . The best crime writer in my opinion . She wrote “ strangers on a train “ too ( Hitchcock) as well as many other classics . Her main characters always seem to spiral to a sticky ending . She never was one for happy endings in her books ! Apart from the Ripley books 

Yes - has been one of my favourites for many years - I have all of her books in first edition, including some of the American firsts. I have three of the early ones signed, as in the 1980s a friend ran the Murder One bookshop in London and she was visiting. Knowing I was a fan he alerted me (in writing as this was pre internet!) and I posted him three of her books  and she signed them in the shop, then he posted them back to me.. (the good old days of post and patience).

JudyJudyJudy
15 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

Yes - has been one of my favourites for many years - I have all of her books in first edition, including some of the American firsts. I have three of the early ones signed, as in the 1980s a friend ran the Murder One bookshop in London and she was visiting. Knowing I was a fan he alerted me (in writing as this was pre internet!) and I posted him three of her books  and she signed them in the shop, then he posted them back to me.. (the good old days of post and patience).

Fascinating story . She was quite a complex character and her books are just so interesting if one like psychology mixed with crime ! And the human condition . I’m current re reading “ People who knock on the door “  and re read several of her other books last year . 

rudi must stay
51 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

If you think they are pretentious, stay well clear of "The Tree of Life", which is actually worthy of mention in this thread. 

Well said. Never going to watch it 

2 hours ago, JWL said:

The Blues Brothers and The Commitments. Both overrated pish.

I recently rewatched The Blues Brothers. For the music alone it should be exempt from this thread.

The Commitments is also v funny

53 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

I have no idea what Tree of Life was about but I kinda liked it.

Also A Ghost Story. 5 of us watched it. 4 of us thought it was tosh. I thought it was incredible.

There’s no accounting for taste

JudyJudyJudy
10 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

Here's one of them - one of her scarcer titles

IMG_8360.JPG

Terrific . That novel is brilliant . Well they all are . It’s one of my favourites . My favourite is probably “ Those who walk away “ followed by “ Ediths diary” “ The glass cell “ And “ This sweet sickness “ 

15 hours ago, cosanostra said:

Nah, I agree. It was awful.

A pile of pretentious shite.

7 hours ago, RobboM said:

Thanks guys.  That's 3 who thinks "The English Patient" was crap.

I feel exonerated. :biggrin: