Official linlithgow rose match day thread! Match on!!

braveheart

davemclaren
Just now, Francis Albert said:

Four wins when they were not called pre-season. Matcheds or beats our record in any other competition. 

The, early or otherwise, group sections aren’t where our problems in winning it are, typically. 😄

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Francis Albert

• davemclaren

• Ford Prentice

• GinRummy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Francis Albert
Just now, davemclaren said:

The, early or otherwise, group sections aren’t where our problems in winning it are, typically. 😄

But when we demote the early or group sections to "pre-season" as an excuse for not progressing to later stages we reduce our chances of winning the thing. The simple fact is they are not "pre-season". They are part of the season.

Amazed this is even a debate!

davemclaren
2 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

But when we demote the early or group sections to "pre-season" as an excuse for not progressing to later stages we reduce our chances of winning the thing. The simple fact is they are not "pre-season". They are part of the season.

I’m not quite sure what the debate is either but they do start pre league season. However, I think we’ve only failed to get out of the groups once since they were re-introduced, so not sure how anyone has made that an excuse.  The early games  ( before the league season starts ) are seldom the reason we get knocked out. 

Guest ToqueJambo
5 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I’m not quite sure what the debate is either but they do start pre league season. However, I think we’ve only failed to get out of the groups once since they were re-introduced, so not sure how anyone has made that an excuse.  The early games  ( before the league season starts ) are seldom the reason we get knocked out. 

They set the tone though. Someone like Stendel would be forgiven poor performances in the group while qualifying. Neilson won't be. Even if he plays a team of kids for experience with an eye on the league and we still qualify, some folk will be on his back. He really needs to win and play well in every game in the group stages. He's really up against it in that respect as guaranteed our rivals in the Premiership won't sail through the group with the scintillating football and high scoring wins some seem to demand from Neilson to justify his position for next season.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Francis Albert
6 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Fair enough. But they simply are not pre-season games.

Edited by Francis Albert

davemclaren

Fair enough. But they simply are not pre-season games.

I can safely say they are certainly competitive matches we should be striving to win. 

Francis Albert
2 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I can safely say they are certainly competitive matches we should be striving to win. 

And part of our season?

Guest ToqueJambo
13 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

I like the introduction of the group stages as a competitive part of our pre-season - a chance to assess some players and improve fitness in a more challenging game. So long as we get through that should be all that matters. I'm not fussed by performances but unfortunately some are, which is unrealistic. I think it was Motherwell recently who sailed through the group stages hammering everyone but then started in the league badly. However, because of some opinion against Neilson he really needs wins and performances, even though in reality hammering everyone 6-0 in the group won't mean a thing once the league starts, aside from maybe raising expectations in some to an unrealistic level.

Guest ToqueJambo

And part of our season?

They are part of our season 2021/22 but they take place during pre-season which is the common term for the tightly-managed and important period before the league starts. It's all just semantics.

Edited by ToqueJambo

davemclaren
9 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

And part of our season?

According to the SPFL it is. 

‘Season 2021/22 will begin with the group stage of the League Cup on the weekend of July 10/11, with further matchdays on July 13/14, July 17/18, July 20/21 and July 24/25.’

Francis Albert
11 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

They are part of our season 2021/22 but they take place during pre-season which is the common term for the tightly-managed and important period before the league starts. It's all just semantics.

It really Isn't. The League Cup is part of the season. Just as the League and Scottish Cup are. 

And wtf does "tightly managed" and "important" mean?

Edited by Francis Albert

Francis Albert
2 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

According to the SPFL it is. 

‘Season 2021/22 will begin with the group stage of the League Cup on the weekend of July 10/11, with further matchdays on July 13/14, July 17/18, July 20/21 and July 24/25.’

Statement of the bleeding obvious.

Guest ToqueJambo
3 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

It really Isn't. The League Cup is part of the season. Just as the League and Scottish Cup are. 

And why does "tightly managed" and "important" mean?

🤣 Pre-season is a specific thing in football when specific things happen, whether you think it is or not. You know it is. You hear the term pre-season every summer and you know exactly what it means. Teams could start their pre-season earlier to peak for the LC games I suppose but what about their hols!

Personally I've always thought the whole pre-season thing is silly. Shouldn't highly paid footballers maintain a high level of fitness 365 days a year instead of, in Scotland anyhow, being allowed to go on holiday and do what they want for a few weeks meaning they need a pre-season? Maybe it's changed and they're a bit more professional year-round so they don't need to run up and down sand dunes for a few weeks.

Edited by ToqueJambo

davemclaren

Statement of the bleeding obvious.

I can’t use my season ticket for the matches though. 😂

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, davemclaren said:

Maybe we should agree on them being pre-season ticket games and be done with it.

Francis Albert

Basically I see the excuses for any underperforming in the LC group stages getting in early. Why otherwise claim they are not part of the season?

Francis Albert
10 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

🤣 Pre-season is a specific thing in football when specific things happen, whether you think it is or not. You know it is. You hear the term pre-season every summer and you know exactly what it means. Teams could start their pre-season earlier to peak for the LC games I suppose but what about their hols!

Personally I've always thought the whole pre-season thing is silly. Shouldn't highly paid footballers maintain a high level of fitness 365 days a year instead of, in Scotland anyhow, being allowed to go on holiday and do what they want for a few weeks meaning they need a pre-season? Maybe it's changed and they're a bit more professional year-round so they don't need to run up and down sand dunes for a few weeks.

I have been following Hearts for nearly sixty years. And until recently I have never heard this argument that the initial League Cup games are pre-season.

As for your first sentence ... "pre-season is a specific thing in football when specific things happen". Right.

Francis Albert
17 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

So  Scottish cup games are not part of the season either?

davemclaren
5 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

So  Scottish cup games are not part of the season either?

Clearly not, or my season ticket would cover them.  🧐

Francis Albert

In  1954  we beat Dundee 3

-1  before 35000 at Tynie then Falkirk before 30000 at Tynie and then Celtic 3-2 at Tynie  before 40000 before going on to win the League Cup. Now classed as just  pre-season games apparently. Because they were before the League started.

Edited by Francis Albert

1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

I think your ST doesn't cover it for a different reason.

STs, unless otherwise specified, only cover league matches where the home team receive all gate receipts.  Cup games have a sharing formula.

6 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

I have been following Hearts for nearly sixty years. And until recently I have never heard this argument that the initial League Cup games are pre-season.

As for your first sentence ... "pre-season is a specific thing in football when specific things happen". Right.

The season starts when competition starts. Whether we start with the league Cup, European Qualifiers or the League championship. But anything played before the league started used to be pre season. Maybe we'll get back to this soon. But at this point, we're shite. 

Edited by ri Alban

colinmaroon

And here was me, jumping in at the end to read about the game  and it's all about replacing the Gregorian calendar with a JKB variant.

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope
18 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

And here was me, jumping in at the end to read about the game  and it's all about replacing the Gregorian calendar with a JKB variant.

Only on JKB could such a sterile argument extend over so many posts. 

davemclaren
47 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

😂😄

Jeez jumped on here to see what the take was on our young players that played on saturday.  Another thread stuck in a maze.

Ron Burgundy

A 6-0 thumping of a team like Rose is exactly what you would expect regardless of the team Hearts put out. More of the same please.

13 hours ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Spartans on Tuesday night at Ainslie Park £8 Adult £5 kid .

Better going to watch Hearts pre season or not midweek than sitting in the house watching the Euros . 

And playing Civil Service at 6pm that day too. I've heard Robbie will be taking the Civil game and then heading over to watch the Spartans game. I imagine the Civil game will have more first teamers, but I may be wrong.

Edited by Dayman

3 minutes ago, Dayman said:

And playing Civil Service at 6pm that day too. I've heard Robbie will be taking the Civil game and then heading over to watch the Spartans game. I imagine the Civil game will have more first teamers, but things may be wrong.

48 minutes ago, Dayman said:

And playing Civil Service at 6pm that day too. I've heard Robbie will be taking the Civil game and then heading over to watch the Spartans game. I imagine the Civil game will have more first teamers, but I may be wrong.

Don't think Robbie took Linlithgow think it was Rankin 

3 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Don't think Robbie took Linlithgow think it was Rankin 

RN might have been one of those having to self isolate

4 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

RN might have been one of those having to self isolate

Yeah I was thinking that. think if their is two games tomorrow the team will be split I think that was the idea for Friday v Berwick and Sat v the Rose. 

upgotheheads

Has anybody mentioned what kind of game Damour had? I'm not particularly hopeful but It would be great if he could turn out to be a useful player in the Premier league as a defensive midfielder/ball winner but further up the park than he played last time.

4 hours ago, Andrew Gilbert Wauchope said:

Only on JKB could such a sterile argument extend over so many posts. 

🤣🤣

4 hours ago, colinmaroon said:

🤣🤣

Tommy Brown
14 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Not had a ST for 3 or 4 seasons now.

Cup ties were not part of it for a while now.

Or Am I wrong?

davemclaren
5 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Not had a ST for 3 or 4 seasons now.

Cup ties were not part of it for a while now.

Or Am I wrong?

Not for about 25 years iirc. I wasn’t being entirely serious tbf. 😎

Tommy Brown

Certainly surprised me winning 6-0 against Linlithgow  Rose.

A team that have been one of the better junior sides of the past few decades.

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope
1 hour ago, sadj said:

🤣🤣

🤣🤣

39 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Not for about 25 years iirc. I wasn’t being entirely serious tbf. 😎

I did have a suspicion that one of you was on the wind-up.

50 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

When's our next glamour friendly?

Doh.  Checked the proper thread.  All clear now.