Official linlithgow rose match day thread! Match on!!

braveheart

No bothered what anyone says, it’s good to get a confidence boosting win like yesterday and it’s also good that the youngsters got the chance to play alongside the first team. Absolutely no negatives from yesterday apart from McEneff’s knock.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Francis Albert

• davemclaren

• Ford Prentice

• GinRummy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Mr Sifter said:

I don’t even know what’s real on this site anymore 😩

Certainly not that particular poster.

I’m amazed how someone can be a footballer supporter for more than 5 minutes and not realise that friendlies at the end of June are for fitness. 

Harry Potter
10 minutes ago, King prawn said:

I’m amazed how someone can be a footballer supporter for more than 5 minutes and not realise that friendlies at the end of June are for fitness. 

And a 6-0 win against the mighty linlithgow rose is a good start.

Unknown user
2 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Our multi-million pound 2005/06 squad played mighty Berwick, East Fife and Stirling Albion pre season. Couldn't even beat Berwick - drew 0-0 less than 2 weeks before the start of the season.

Weren't they before we really signed anyone? I have in mind things were looking pretty bare bones until later in the summer

2 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

And a 6-0 win against the mighty linlithgow rose is a good start.

Good point. Robbie recently commented in the press that he was impressed by how fit the players are after their break. Nice to see a good win.

8 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Weren't they before we really signed anyone? I have in mind things were looking pretty bare bones until later in the summer

They were indeed. 

Alright didn’t play professional but played junior football for years and believe me you want to win your friendlies. Yes it’s about match sharpness and blowing away the cobwebs but losing starts planting seeds of doubt. Examples are lack of trust in the management team, lack of trust in your teammates, breaks bonds between each other, you can be disillusioned at teammates and let down on how they’ve come back majorly out of shape after the summer. I remember playing Queens Park and getting beat 5-0, lucky it wasn’t 10 and it almost caused a mass brawl in the changing room. Two best mates went to blows and still don’t speak now (and that was 10 years ago!!). Caused all sorts of friction and broke unity between us.  I could continue to write another 100 reasons why you need to win your pre season games but it the majority will get my point and know the benefits.

Edited by goldie83
Spelling

AllyjamboDerbyshire
6 hours ago, Awbdy Oot said:

PCR tests aren't worth shit unfortunately, our foster kid got sent home from school as she was deemed to be a close contact of someone in her class who tested positive. She took a PCR test which was negative and still has to self isolate for 10 days because the tests can't be trusted.

I'm not looking for an argument over this, I know tough decisions have to be made.

Sorry to hear about your foster kid, just be glad the test was negative.

Everybody knows the tests are not 100% accurate, though the PCR test is worth a lot more than shit - which is probably the reason your kid is isolating and not unwittingly sitting beside someone in school who has Covid - and is why isolation is still necessary. But that has no bearing on why the match was cancelled on Friday, but Saturday's match went ahead.

scott herbertson
58 minutes ago, goldie83 said:

Alright didn’t play professional but played junior football for years and believe me you want to win your friendlies. Yes it’s about match sharpness and blowing away the cobwebs but losing starts planting seeds of doubt. Examples are lack of trust in the management team, lack of trust in your teammates, breaks bonds between each other, you can be disillusioned at teammates and let down on how they’ve come back majorly out of shape after the summer. I remember playing Queens Park and getting beat 5-0, lucky it wasn’t 10 and it almost caused a mass brawl in the changing room. Two best mates went to blows and still don’t speak now (and that was 10 years ago!!). Caused all sorts of friction and broke unity between us.  I could continue to write another 100 reasons why you need to win your pre season games but it the majority will get my point and know the benefits.

Good post, and you are 100% right, unlike some on this thread who are 100% the opposite. You could add the impact on training afterwards - the training should be getting progressively better and a positive attitude building.  

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope

For the benefit of those of us not at the game, could one of you who were give us an idea how they all played? (Particularly the fringe and reserve players coming through).

PS If there is such a list, I missed it and a link would be appreciated.

Unknown user
8 minutes ago, Andrew Gilbert Wauchope said:

For the benefit of those of us not at the game, could one of you who were give us an idea how they all played? (Particularly the fringe and reserve players coming through).

PS If there is such a list, I missed it and a link would be appreciated.

Pollock and Smith especially

5 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Our multi-million pound 2005/06 squad played mighty Berwick, East Fife and Stirling Albion pre season. Couldn't even beat Berwick - drew 0-0 less than 2 weeks before the start of the season.

Spot on Toque. You can’t get upset about friendlies. On a side note I was at the Stirling Albion game and it was the first time I’d seen Brellier, he was horrendous that day but of course became a favourite.

9 minutes ago, farin said:

Yep, I’d add to that that after the year we’ve had it was great just to be actually allowed in watch a football game again. Even if it was just a friendly with 500 fans, it’s was hopefully the start of normality returning to our lives. 

E1488F7D-AA1E-415C-9B15-0D80D2606554.thumb.jpeg.ff38bc7d6ccaaf11f1452cac5ed511b3.jpeg

There will be quite a few needing Covid tests this week.

12 hours ago, XB52 said:

???? Think you might be wrong there, unless your team has celtic in a friendly 

More a Hearts fan than you will ever be but am a realist not a fantasist like most on here.

3 hours ago, AllyjamboDerbyshire said:

Sorry to hear about your foster kid, just be glad the test was negative.

Everybody knows the tests are not 100% accurate, though the PCR test is worth a lot more than shit - which is probably the reason your kid is isolating and not unwittingly sitting beside someone in school who has Covid - and is why isolation is still necessary. But that has no bearing on why the match was cancelled on Friday, but Saturday's match went ahead.

That's fair.

47 minutes ago, farin said:

Yep, I’d add to that that after the year we’ve had it was great just to be actually allowed in watch a football game again. Even if it was just a friendly with 500 fans, it’s was hopefully the start of normality returning to our lives. 

E1488F7D-AA1E-415C-9B15-0D80D2606554.thumb.jpeg.ff38bc7d6ccaaf11f1452cac5ed511b3.jpeg

Definitely, brilliant to see fans in a ground. 

6 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Good point. Robbie recently commented in the press that he was impressed by how fit the players are after their break. Nice to see a good win.

Did he? Thats a good starting point. Hopefully we have players who are all taking personal responsibility too then. That would indicate it. 

7 minutes ago, sadj said:

Did he? Thats a good starting point. Hopefully we have players who are all taking personal responsibility too then. That would indicate it. 

Aye said the players were in great shape. Shows a good attitude I would think. 

3 hours ago, Lfhearts said:

More a Hearts fan than you will ever be but am a realist not a fantasist like most on here.

Than you will ever be 🤣🤣🤣 **** my life thats the best thing iv read in ages…

Here mate my dick pisses maroon and if ya sliced me in half itd read Hearts of Midlothians through me….

Internet Hardman alert type post 😵💫🤣

Please for us all can you inform us of how we measure our Hearts dicks…. 

Thanks on behalf of Hearts supporters on the forum

15 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Absolutely right. I’ve seen good seasons where we were very poor in pre season friendlies and poor seasons when we played well in pre-season friendlies.

I still feel better when we win then though. 

Im sure some of our best seasons have come after honking preseasons. 2006 being one that immediately springs to mind

Guest ToqueJambo
7 hours ago, Smithee said:

It was a pretty typical preseason no matter who we sign. We usually only play one "glamour" friendly nearer the star of the season if we're lucky (although they're always pretty shite). Most years it's a little tour or training base in Ireland or Germany or somewhere and/or maybe a couple of games against lower league northern England clubs. No idea how anyone could get upset about who we're playing in June.

1 minute ago, Francis Albert said:

From losing to Brora to thrashing Limlithgow. Robbie on a roll.

So was that two wins in a day for Robbie in addition to Linlithgow?

:verysmug:

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

It was a pretty typical preseason no matter who we sign. We usually only play one "glamour" friendly nearer the star of the season if we're lucky (although they're always pretty shite). Most years it's a little tour or training base in Ireland or Germany or somewhere and/or maybe a couple of games against lower league northern England clubs. No idea how anyone could get upset about who we're playing in June.

Even in our worst years we used to have some decent opposition for pre-season friendlies. And it is not so long ago since Barcelona and 58000 at Murrayfield.

What is our glamour pre-season friendly this year? 

Just corrected my typo in time frankblack!

Edited by Francis Albert

Wish there were some highlights even though it was a friendly. A run out early in pre-season for everyone, no major injuries, 6 goals and a feel good start albeit against a lower league team. 

21 minutes ago, Jumper said:

Wish there were some highlights even though it was a friendly. A run out early in pre-season for everyone, no major injuries, 6 goals and a feel good start albeit against a lower league team. 

Dundee TV show a few highlights away to Forfar you’d think for what you pay for Hearts TV you’d at least get the goals. Yes Hearts TV needs to get a grip in fact calling it TV is a joke.

58 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

From losing to Brora to thrashing Limlithgow. Robbie on a roll.

Sky's the limit.  Good to see Ginnelly back.

I've got a contact in the Kremlin so hopefully I'll be able to post players' recovery from injury in future.

No secrets from them.

TyphoonJambo
1 minute ago, Kiwidoug said:

Sky's the limit.  Good to see Ginnelly back.

I've got a contact in the Kremlin so hopefully I'll be able to post players' recovery from injury in future.

No secrets from them.

Don't worry,my mate Dom the man Cummings has a good few contacts, what do you want to know?

Just now, TypoonJambo said:

Don't worry,my mate Dom the man Cummings has a good few contacts, what do you want to know?

Did he set up any secret cameras at Westminster? 🤔

TyphoonJambo
1 minute ago, frankblack said:

Did he set up any secret cameras at Westminster? 🤔

I'll send you the Craig hand up the Perreria jacksy one, answers a few conspiracy theories on here.

57 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Even in our worst years we used to have some decent opposition for pre-season friendlies. And it is not so long ago since Barcelona and 58000 at Murrayfield.

What is our glamour pre-season friendly this year? 

Just corrected my typo in time frankblack!

Who cares? All friendlies are shite. The Barcelona game was rubbish as well. As long as we play at least one half decent side before we get going then I’m happy enough. 

TyphoonJambo

I actually think the crappy wee league Cup qualifiers present a great opportunity for pre season.  Real football, crap teams but competitive. 

Francis Albert
1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

Who cares? All friendlies are shite. The Barcelona game was rubbish as well. As long as we play at least one half decent side before we get going then I’m happy enough. 

I enjoyed the Barcelona game. To watch Hearts play against a team containing some of the best players of their era was a privilege. And we were by no means disgraced. And 58000 showing there is Scottish football outside the weege.

1 minute ago, Francis Albert said:

I enjoyed the Barcelona game. To watch Hearts play against a team containing some of the best players of their era was a privilege. And we were by no means disgraced. And 58000 showing there is Scottish football outside the weege.

Thought the games itself was terrible. If others enjoyed it then great. I’ve never been to a friendly since that one and don’t think I ever will again. Not for me at all. 

Francis Albert
11 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

I actually think the crappy wee league Cup qualifiers present a great opportunity for pre season.  Real football, crap teams but competitive. 

Good opportunity if we win them. And if we don't think of them as pre-season!

Edited by Francis Albert

Francis Albert
3 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Thought the games itself was terrible. If others enjoyed it then great. I’ve never been to a friendly since that one and don’t think I ever will again. Not for me at all. 

But you post on a thread about a pre-season friendly vs Linlithgow Rose.

4 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

But you post on a thread about a pre-season friendly vs Linlithgow Rose.

I’m interested in hearing how training and youth matches go as well but I wouldn’t go and watch. 

6 hours ago, Lfhearts said:

Well most Hearts fans know we have league cup games before we play Celtic. Been a Hearts fan for nearly 60 years, my names on the wheatfield and gorgie stands, got my foh plot etc.etc.  

Guest ToqueJambo
2 hours ago, TypoonJambo said:

Unfortunately we have been treating them as pre-season games. I really hope we take the LC seriously this season for a change.

Guest ToqueJambo
5 hours ago, sadj said:

Im sure some of our best seasons have come after honking preseasons. 2006 being one that immediately springs to mind

I always assume pre-season games are simply planned and played with the sole aim of peaking in the first league game. And maybe trying some tactical things, hoping new signings settle, and easing injured players back in. Some folk seem not to have noticed how often we completely change almost the entire first XI at half time in these games? Not to jinx it but one thing Neilson seems to have been good at as Hearts manager is starting well in the league. Shame we got Celtic first this time but at least it's at home.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Francis Albert
9 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Unfortunately we have been treating them as pre-season games. I really hope we take the LC seriously this season for a change.

Yes. For the last few seasons the League Cup qualifiers have been described as pre-season. Back in the day when we won the thing every other year we thought it was part of the season.

Guest ToqueJambo
3 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Yes. For the last few seasons the League Cup qualifiers have been described as pre-season. Back in the day when we won the thing every other year we thought it was part of the season.

Playing them while clubs are still in their pre-season doesn't help

Spartans on Tuesday night at Ainslie Park £8 Adult £5 kid .

Better going to watch Hearts pre season or not midweek than sitting in the house watching the Euros . 

Francis Albert
44 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Playing them while clubs are still in their pre-season doesn't help

No they're played at the start of the season! As they always were! When we won it 4 times in 8 years.

They were not called qualifiers. And they still are not. They are the group stages. And part of our season. In one of only two competitions we have a reasonable  chance of winning. Or should have.

But hey just call.it pre-season. Another excuse. Not that some of our fans are short of them!

Edited by Francis Albert

davemclaren
7 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

No they're played at the start of the season! As they always were! When we won it 4 times in 8 years.

They were not called qualifiers. And they still are not. They are the group stages. And part of our season. In one of only two competitions we have a reasonable  chance of winning. Or should have.

But hey just call.it pre-season. Another excuse. Not that some of our fans are short of them!

We didn’t have a lot of success in the years they weren’t ‘called’ pre-season’ either. I think the reasons for not winning it since 1962 are down to the groups as we normally qualify out of them. 

Francis Albert
3 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

We didn’t have a lot of success in the years they weren’t ‘called’ pre-season’ either. I think the reasons for not winning it since 1962 are down to the groups as we normally qualify out of them. 

Four wins when they were not called pre-season. Matches or beats our record in any other competition. 

Edited by Francis Albert