Top Posters In This Topic

• Footballfirst

• Mikey1874

• RobboM

• davemclaren

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Here's a list of the licensing status published yesterday.

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/media/11752/240424-club-licensing-awards.pdf

Strangely, Airdrie, Cove, Kelty, Edinburgh City and Peterhead still don't have a Bronze licence.

I note that Beith still doesn't have a licence, so cannot participate in the LL Playoff with the EOS and SOS champions, should they win the WOS Premiership.

I sort of wonder what this all really means. On the one hand, I get that they want all clubs to raise their standards in some way. On the other, I feel like this is a load of beaurecratic, convoluted bullshit to preserve the SPFL chairmen who are very much anti-pyramid.

Mikey1874
1 minute ago, Locky said:

Buckie statement claims they've held regular contact with SPFL and are on verge of having all requirements completed by the middle of May. Interesting.

Yeah. Someone seems to have misled Buckie if they were discussing things that weren't taken into account for final decision. 

PortyJambo
3 minutes ago, Locky said:

Buckie statement claims they've held regular contact with SPFL and are on verge of having all requirements completed by the middle of May. Interesting.

That Escalated Quickly Meaning & Origin | Dictionary.com

Watt-Zeefuik
3 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

There's also the argument that a number of HL sides don't actually want to be promoted with all the additional travelling and costs involved (although they would receive a share of the SPFL distribution of a minimum of £50k and entry to the various cups).

I wonder how Brechin feel now about losing out on the HL title on the last day.

If there's ever an indication that the lower end of the SPFL needs to be regionalized, it's that clubs don't actually want to be promoted up the pyramid because of the cost.

In an ideal world I'd like to see a large amount of the HL just added to a bottom-tier regionalized and expanded SPFL, as the quality difference between the HL and L2 seems to be non-existent, but I can't imagine that happening politically.

2 minutes ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

If there's ever an indication that the lower end of the SPFL needs to be regionalized, it's that clubs don't actually want to be promoted up the pyramid because of the cost.

In an ideal world I'd like to see a large amount of the HL just added to a bottom-tier regionalized and expanded SPFL, as the quality difference between the HL and L2 seems to be non-existent, but I can't imagine that happening politically.

Yup me too. Ideally there would be enough money in the game that clubs wouldn't need to feel like that but I'd much rather regionalisation.

Larger Premiership and Championship, then a North and South tier 3, with the leagues regionalised further down.

On 21/04/2024 at 23:49, Locky said:

Rooting for Buckie to come up. Never back the SPFL club to stay up although don't want to see Stranraer or Bonnyrigg go down. **** Clyde however. I also can't take to East Kilbride coming up. Don't know what it is about them, but just not a fan at all. I'd generally favour the Lowland sides over their Highland counterparts but this might be the one exception.

Maybe because it is such a Celtic riddled place 

Stanley_
53 minutes ago, Locky said:

I sort of wonder what this all really means. On the one hand, I get that they want all clubs to raise their standards in some way. On the other, I feel like this is a load of beaurecratic, convoluted bullshit to preserve the SPFL chairmen who are very much anti-pyramid.

Spot on.

17 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Maybe because it is such a Celtic riddled place 

Aye that too. Also from what I've been told the money that's been pumped into them and built their stadium was all from a drug dealer. Get that stuff to ****.

Just now, Locky said:

Aye that too. Also from what I've been told the money that's been pumped into them and built their stadium was all from a drug dealer. Get that stuff to ****.

Parts of the country I have absolutely no desire to visit . Been to enough shitholes watching football and would prefer to leave some places off the list really . I hate how many times I have been to Airdrie :lol: 

Footballfirst

Two sides to every story.

https://www.buckiethistlefc.co.uk/news/club-statement--pyramid-playoff-semifinal-2847695.html

"At 5pm today, Buckie Thistle FC received an email from the SPFL, stating that because the club do not comply with the SFA Bronze Licence criteria, and did not apply for a waiver or period of grace in respect of this non-compliance by the deadline of 31st March 2024, there will be no Play-Off Tie between Buckie Thistle FC and East Kilbride FC, and East Kilbride will automatically go forward to the Pyramid Play-Off Tie with Club 42.

However, we can confirm that the club has been in regular contact with the SFA in regard to the Bronze Licence criteria items, and we were in fact asked by the SPFL to ask for a period of grace for four of these items on Tuesday 23rd April, which we duly did.

Our Club President Garry Farquhar attended a meeting with the SFA on Wednesday 24th April, and we were granted Derogations for 3 items - Floodlights, Safety Officer and Diversity & Inclusion. One item - Medical – has been deferred until the 15th of May, but the club has committed to resolving the matter by May 10th.

It goes without saying that everyone at the club is stunned and devastated by the timing of this decision. It’s particularly harsh on the players and management, who put so much hard work into winning the Highland League title, that they don’t get the opportunity to go for promotion."

Watt-Zeefuik
1 hour ago, Locky said:

Yup me too. Ideally there would be enough money in the game that clubs wouldn't need to feel like that but I'd much rather regionalisation.

Larger Premiership and Championship, then a North and South tier 3, with the leagues regionalised further down.

Yeah, although I have to say that to me if you hold up two competitions, you have the HL which is well-run, reasonably well-attended, and produces a quite decent standard of football given the money involved, and on the other you have the SPFL L2 which is tired, repetitive, and staid.

There's something to be said that the HL is run well and the SPFL run shite despite the differences in budget.

ehcaley

All Scottish clubs had a chance to change the way football was run in this country but chose self interest and shouted take your medicine.this is the outcome,blatant corruption.

Is that absolute skidmark of a man at Brechin still on the SPFL Board by any chance 

The Treasurer

I think a lot of chairmen of the unambitious league clubs who have done nothing for the game for years are panicking now that they see well run clubs coming up through the system and leaving them behind. 

5 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

I think a lot of chairmen of the unambitious league clubs who have done nothing for the game for years are panicking now that they see well run clubs coming up through the system and leaving them behind. 

Totally . What is quite amusing though , is the minute they get flushed , suddenly they are all for more promotion between the bottom of the SPFL and the pyramid . Wonder why ? :lol: 

Edited by Sooks

Jambo dans les Pyrenees
10 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

https://www.buckiethistlefc.co.uk/news/club-statement--pyramid-playoff-semifinal-2847695.html

"At 5pm today, Buckie Thistle FC received an email from the SPFL, stating that because the club do not comply with the SFA Bronze Licence criteria, and did not apply for a waiver or period of grace in respect of this non-compliance by the deadline of 31st March 2024, there will be no Play-Off Tie between Buckie Thistle FC and East Kilbride FC, and East Kilbride will automatically go forward to the Pyramid Play-Off Tie with Club 42.

However, we can confirm that the club has been in regular contact with the SFA in regard to the Bronze Licence criteria items, and we were in fact asked by the SPFL to ask for a period of grace for four of these items on Tuesday 23rd April, which we duly did.

Our Club President Garry Farquhar attended a meeting with the SFA on Wednesday 24th April, and we were granted Derogations for 3 items - Floodlights, Safety Officer and Diversity & Inclusion. One item - Medical – has been deferred until the 15th of May, but the club has committed to resolving the matter by May 10th.

It goes without saying that everyone at the club is stunned and devastated by the timing of this decision. It’s particularly harsh on the players and management, who put so much hard work into winning the Highland League title, that they don’t get the opportunity to go for promotion."

Those are very specific claims, and as such, you would imagine that they have reams of evidence.

Squeaky blazer time?

4 minutes ago, Jambo dans les Pyrenees said:

Those are very specific claims, and as such, you would imagine that they have reams of evidence.

Squeaky blazer time?

Mackie the prick getting handers for how they voted in the covid season ? Surely not 

IMG_6895.jpeg

IMG_6894.jpeg

Preston Jambo
11 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

The statement suggests that they had come to some sort of agreement yet Gary Farquhar was interviewed on radio Scotland this morning and made no mention of the meeting of the 24th. 

More to this than meets the eye I think 🤔

Edited by Preston Jambo

2 minutes ago, Preston Jambo said:

The statement suggests that they had come to some sort of agreement yet Gary Farquhar was interviewed on radio Scotland this morning and made no mention of the meeting of the 24th. 

More to this than meets the eye I think 🤔

My money is on Buckie ****ing up, not telling the manager they haven’t done what is required to go up and now trying to save face. 

CostaJambo

And people wonder why Scottish football is regarded as a bit of a joke? The words ****-up and brewery spring to mind.

5 hours ago, CostaJambo said:

And people wonder why Scottish football is regarded as a bit of a joke? The words ****-up and brewery spring to mind.

Who regards it as a bit of a joke?

RustyRightPeg
1 hour ago, Dunks said:

I do from time to time. 

1 hour ago, Dunks said:

Around about the time of the split , I think almost everyone does , I certainly do . Waiting to find out if you have more home or away ties to try and avoid an old firm title decider . All so we can guarantee four old firm games for the TV and the diddy teams who would go bust without four visits . Absolute tinpot stuff tbh 

CostaJambo
2 hours ago, Dunks said:

I think you would probably be better off asking who doesn't regard it as a bit of a joke, but from what I understand and pick up in the media virtually everyone involved in football south of the border for starters.

Footballfirst

Now a further statement by the Buckie club president.

“As your club president it is not only my responsibility, but my duty to inform you of the facts / circumstances that resulted in the decision made yesterday by the SFA. I am personally gutted for our fantastic management team and our fantastic players, who all did so much to make us all proud, and to all of you , our fantastic and loyal supporters.

The statement issued by the SFA yesterday indicates that we did not reply to their requests. We have in fact been actively preparing for a Bronze Licence since late last year when it was clear that was the requirement from the SPFL.

I will state straight away that we did in fact miss the cut off date for the “period of grace “ from the SPFL. We have to accept that and categorise as an error never to be repeated. However earlier this week we were asked to submit a request for this to the SPFL, which we did straight away. Why did they request this ?

On the licencing side ( SFA ) I had a Teams meeting with the SFA Licencing Committee at Hampden on Wednesday to discuss the 4 applications for derogation that we had previously submitted. We were granted 3 of those derogations, the Floodlights, The Safety Officer and the Equality, Diversity and Inclusion. The Medical Return was deferred to the next meeting due on the 15th of May.

We have been unable to complete / submit our Medical Return because we are still trying to engage the services of a Doctor to attend all of our home games , this is a requirement for Bronze Level. This is currently our stumbling block and I believe the reason for our failure to be granted a Bronze Licence.

I have to stress that during ALL the dialogue between the club, the SPFL and the SFA, there was never any mention of the pending disaster that unfolded last night. I received the e-mail last night at 5 o’clock, informing us that we would not be taking part in the Pyramid Playoffs. The rest, as they say is history.

On a personal note I can only hope the above statement of fact clarifies the clubs current status as regards the licencing procedures and the efforts we have put into gaining a Bronze Licence. We felt we were in a good position , but unfortunately we were off the mark there.

I would like to finish this by saying that the board, committee and management team will continue to pursue the Bronze Licence, do our utmost to keep our management team and players together, and fight ( as we did this season ) for the title again next season.

We owe this to every one of you at Buckie Thistle Football Club.”

JamboGraham

Club, League and Association all look a bit foolish as a result of this. No party entirely without fault here.

It does seem incredible though that this is completed by a 5pm email.

Scottish Football is a small circle where everyone knows each other. This should have been at least a phone call between senior people.

I also find it incredible that this type of activity is reviewed and discussed so close to the long published fixture date.

John Findlay
1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

Now a further statement by the Buckie club president.

“As your club president it is not only my responsibility, but my duty to inform you of the facts / circumstances that resulted in the decision made yesterday by the SFA. I am personally gutted for our fantastic management team and our fantastic players, who all did so much to make us all proud, and to all of you , our fantastic and loyal supporters.

The statement issued by the SFA yesterday indicates that we did not reply to their requests. We have in fact been actively preparing for a Bronze Licence since late last year when it was clear that was the requirement from the SPFL.

I will state straight away that we did in fact miss the cut off date for the “period of grace “ from the SPFL. We have to accept that and categorise as an error never to be repeated. However earlier this week we were asked to submit a request for this to the SPFL, which we did straight away. Why did they request this ?

On the licencing side ( SFA ) I had a Teams meeting with the SFA Licencing Committee at Hampden on Wednesday to discuss the 4 applications for derogation that we had previously submitted. We were granted 3 of those derogations, the Floodlights, The Safety Officer and the Equality, Diversity and Inclusion. The Medical Return was deferred to the next meeting due on the 15th of May.

We have been unable to complete / submit our Medical Return because we are still trying to engage the services of a Doctor to attend all of our home games , this is a requirement for Bronze Level. This is currently our stumbling block and I believe the reason for our failure to be granted a Bronze Licence.

I have to stress that during ALL the dialogue between the club, the SPFL and the SFA, there was never any mention of the pending disaster that unfolded last night. I received the e-mail last night at 5 o’clock, informing us that we would not be taking part in the Pyramid Playoffs. The rest, as they say is history.

On a personal note I can only hope the above statement of fact clarifies the clubs current status as regards the licencing procedures and the efforts we have put into gaining a Bronze Licence. We felt we were in a good position , but unfortunately we were off the mark there.

I would like to finish this by saying that the board, committee and management team will continue to pursue the Bronze Licence, do our utmost to keep our management team and players together, and fight ( as we did this season ) for the title again next season.

We owe this to every one of you at Buckie Thistle Football Club.”

The 15th of May is yet to pass.

Footballfirst
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

The 15th of May is yet to pass.

The chairman's statement suggests that the club has accepted its fate, given that he is looking to win the HL again next season.

Edited by Footballfirst

John Findlay
3 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

The chairman's statement suggests that the club has accepted its fate, given that he is looking to win the HL again next season.

More fool him.

Mikey1874
21 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

More fool him.

Yeah. They clearly didn't bother putting everything they needed into place, quickly enough. Could have blown their chance. 

6 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

I do from time to time. 

That's one :lol:

6 hours ago, Sooks said:

Around about the time of the split , I think almost everyone does , I certainly do . Waiting to find out if you have more home or away ties to try and avoid an old firm title decider . All so we can guarantee four old firm games for the TV and the diddy teams who would go bust without four visits . Absolute tinpot stuff tbh 

It annoys me too, but it was voted for by the clubs and is used in lots of leagues, so hardly a joke 🤷‍♀️

5 hours ago, CostaJambo said:

I think you would probably be better off asking who doesn't regard it as a bit of a joke, but from what I understand and pick up in the media virtually everyone involved in football south of the border for starters.

Can't say I pay much attention to the English leagues - they're a bit of a joke to be honest with their random points deductions and dreadful var decisions :ninja:

53 minutes ago, Dunks said:

It annoys me too, but it was voted for by the clubs and is used in lots of leagues, so hardly a joke 🤷‍♀️

I do think it is a bit shit and embarrassing though . I remember talking about split fixtures and who we were likely to get at home or away a few seasons ago with a mate , and my brother in law just looking bemused . It is often not until someone outside of the absolute circus you are a part of tries to ask you about it , that you step back and marvel at the utter tinpottery of the whole thing 

SandyClark
1 hour ago, Sooks said:

I remember talking about split fixtures and who we were likely to get at home or away a few seasons ago with a mate , and my brother in law just looking bemused . 

I'm sure they were

11 hours ago, Sooks said:

I do think it is a bit shit and embarrassing though . I remember talking about split fixtures and who we were likely to get at home or away a few seasons ago with a mate , and my brother in law just looking bemused . It is often not until someone outside of the absolute circus you are a part of tries to ask you about it , that you step back and marvel at the utter tinpottery of the whole thing 

I prefer the split in the women's league - at the half way point. At least you still have home and away against the rest of your mini-league.

12 minutes ago, Dunks said:

I prefer the split in the women's league - at the half way point. At least you still have home and away against the rest of your mini-league.

Agree any split should have home and away fixtures to avoid the odd numbers of home and away games that come about every season.

42 minutes ago, Dunks said:

It would solve one of the issues - the odd number of games thing

It would mean more games against the old firm instead of other teams we are more likely to beat though . Points differences between second and third would likely expand further 

Tommy Brown

Big obstacle seemed to be getting a Doctor to attend all home games.

Is this a bit extreme from the SPFL at this level. Must be a huge cost for these clubs, maybe I am wrong.

Anyone in the know?  @Footballfirst

Footballfirst
Just now, Tommy Brown said:

Big obstacle seemed to be getting a Doctor to attend all home games.

Is this a bit extreme from the SPFL at this level. Must be a huge cost for these clubs, maybe I am wrong.

Anyone in the know?  @Footballfirst

The non availability of a doctor for match days is the reason given for failing to obtain a bronze licence.  They had been given derogation for three other issues.  It will always be difficult to get a doctor to attend matches in a small community, unless they have an avid fan who is qualified.

Five SPFL clubs still don't have a Bronze licence, so they must have previously been given derogation for some criteria.

Tommy Brown
2 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

The non availability of a doctor for match days is the reason given for failing to obtain a bronze licence.  They had been given derogation for three other issues.  It will always be difficult to get a doctor to attend matches in a small community, unless they have an avid fan who is qualified.

Five SPFL clubs still don't have a Bronze licence, so they must have previously been given derogation for some criteria.

Exactly my thoughts.

Mikey1874

Tranent making a point. Still unsure also about Celtic playing a 33 year old in a B game. 

Mikey1874

Bonnyrigg look safe 3 points and 12 goals advantage over bottom. Stranraer now bottom of League 2, two points behind Clyde, 2 goals worse.

Stranraer v Stenhousemuir 

Elgin v Clyde

Bonnyrigg v Forfar

Footballfirst
Posted (edited)

At tier 6, Broxburn failed to clinch the EOS title when they could only draw 1-1 away to Jeanfield today, but they look certain to seal it with Musselburgh 8 points behind with 3 games left. Broxburn still have 2 games to play.

Club P W D L F A GD Pts
1 28 21 5 2 76 34 42 68
2 27 18 6 3 63 26 37 60
3 28 17 1 10 67 39 28 52
4 28 15 3 10 63 47 16 48
5 25 14 5 6 67 31 36 47

In the WOS, Beith is 3 points clear of Clydebank with a game in hand and a superior goal difference.  Beith has 3 games left.  Auchinleck could still feature with 3 games in hand over Beith but are 11 points in arrears.  If Beith wins the league, then it looks unlikely that the WOS will be able to participate in the playoffs as Beith is not licensed atm

#   P W D L F A +- PTS
1 Beith Juniors Beith Juniors 27 16 6 5 69 38 31 54
2 Clydebank Clydebank 28 15 6 7 53 32 21 51
3 St Cadoc's St Cadoc's 27 14 6 7 57 40 17 48
4 Pollok Pollok 27 13 7 7 67 48 19 46
5 Largs Thistle Largs Thistle 26 13 5 8 43 38 5 44
6 Auchinleck Talbot Auchinleck Talbot 24 13 4 7 47 25 22 43

The SOS is shaping up to have a tight finish between Creetown and Dalbeattie, after the latter's surprise defeat in midweek. Dalbeattie is a point behind, but with a superior goal difference and a game in hand against bottom of the table side Wigtown and Bladnoch scheduled for Wednesday. However the final game is Creetown v Dalbeattie with the home side able to clinch the league with a win over their nearest rivals.

# Team Pl HW HD HL AW AD AL W D L F A Diff Pts
1. Creetown 21 6 3 1 10 0 1 16 3 2 68 19 49 51
2. Dalbeattie Star 20 9 1 1 7 1 1 16 2 2 84 21 63 50
3. Newton Stewart 22 9 0 2 7 2 2 16 2 4 84 29 55 50
4. Abbey Vale 21 7 2 2 7 1 2 14 3 4 77 24 53 45
5. Lochar Thistle 22 6 4 1 6 2 3 12 6 4 62 31 31 42

In terms of access to the Highland League, neither of the tier 6 champions Broughty Athletic (Midland) nor Invergordon (North Caledonian) are licensed, so Strathspey will be spared a playoff.

Edited by Footballfirst

Tommy Brown
4 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Bonnyrigg look safe 3 points and 12 goals advantage over bottom. Stranraer now bottom of League 2, two points behind Clyde, 2 goals worse.

Stranraer v Stenhousemuir 

Elgin v Clyde

Bonnyrigg v Forfar

Stranraer are standing on the trap door spot. Would think the Lowland League teams will be hoping they pull through on a pure selfish aspect.

Stranraer being around a 2 and half hour journey, four hours from Berwick. Times are in car without stopping :lol:

On 27/04/2024 at 12:01, Sooks said:

It would solve one of the issues - the odd number of games thing

It would mean more games against the old firm instead of other teams we are more likely to beat though . Points differences between second and third would likely expand further 

A bigger league would be better - every team home and away, job done :thumbsup:

3 minutes ago, Dunks said:

A bigger league would be better - every team home and away, job done :thumbsup:

Could not agree more 

Fraggle
On 26/04/2024 at 21:48, Footballfirst said:

The tone of the message makes it look the club hierarchy really had no intentions of wanting to challenge for promotion, and this is the convenient excuse, with an acceptable scapegoat.