The Royal family

HartleyLegend3

SectionDJambo

I just tuned in for the last hour of this extravaganza, but I was surprised at them wheeling out a few American singers for what was a celebration of the Queen's Platinum Jubilee. The appearance of Diana Ross, who looked to me to be miming, as the headline act was strange. If they'd wheeled out The Three Degrees for Charlie, I could have understood that, but what possible reason was there for an ageing American singer taking the main spot?

Surely there were better British alternatives to Diana Ross to give a rousing end to the show.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FWJ

• Unknown user

• jack D and coke

• A Boy Named Crow

31 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Money we'll spent if it leads to a Scottish Republic 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 

But it won't. You are a minority. There's not even going to be another referendum. She's taking you for a ride. Although she doesn't do too badly from it mind.

20 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

I just tuned in for the last hour of this extravaganza, but I was surprised at them wheeling out a few American singers for what was a celebration of the Queen's Platinum Jubilee. The appearance of Diana Ross, who looked to me to be miming, as the headline act was strange. If they'd wheeled out The Three Degrees for Charlie, I could have understood that, but what possible reason was there for an ageing American singer taking the main spot?

Surely there were better British alternatives to Diana Ross to give a rousing end to the show.

Diana Ross is one of the Queen's favourite artists hence why she was asked...probably also to promote her upcoming Glastonbury appearance mind you 😁

There was definitely an issue with her mic although I don't think she was miming but certainly had backing singers covering her.

Edited by neilnunb

Doctor FinnBarr
46 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Money we'll spent if it leads to a Scottish Republic 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 

Well said mate, we need to rid ourselves of the so called Royals, fickin parasites.

3 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Diana Ross is one of the Queen's favourite artists hence why she was asked...probably also to promote her upcoming Glastonbury appearance mind you 😁

She could have at least sung.

29 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

The Jubilee bank holiday weekend has boosted the economy by 6 billion. Money well spent.

That's assuming everyone that goes to a pub over the weekend is celebrating the Jubilee though :laugh:

Folk would be spending money anyway. Maybe they'll be including all arrivals into Heathrow as Jubilee related next.

Dying institution tries to make it seem like they make the country money... aye right!

dobmisterdobster
29 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

There is only one Diana Ross. There is no "better" alternative.

Ainsley Harriott
2 minutes ago, kila said:

That's assuming everyone that goes to a pub over the weekend is celebrating the Jubilee though :laugh:

Folk would be spending money anyway. Maybe they'll be including all arrivals into Heathrow as Jubilee related next.

Dying institution tries to make it seem like they make the country money... aye right!

Leading economists or a bitter republican on kickback? Will happy stand by my first estimate 🇬🇧

1 minute ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Leading economists or a bitter republican on kickback? Will happy stand by my first estimate 🇬🇧

Does your estimate (which the Times indicated too) include everyone's spending activities, regardless of whether they Jubilee related or not? ;)

It's easy to make it seem like this is a money making event for the country when you say all spending this weekend is Jubilee related.

dobmisterdobster

The celebrations cost £28 million. Cost of living packages for low income households will cost £15 billion.

Some of you lot a masters of false economy.

John Gentleman
3 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

The celebrations cost £28 million. Cost of living packages for low income households will cost £15 billion.

£28 million invested generating £6 billion revenue. Wow, that's some investmest!

il Duce McTarkin
8 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

:lol: 

You’ve been called a pom because they thought you were English no?

A man from NI (or Scotland) is not a pom. That’s not you being exceptionalist surely??

I lived in Australia for a couple of years and was called a pom regularly (amongst many other casually racist things).

We called the kiwis that we worked with south-sea poms too (amongst many other casually racist things.

We called the Aussies whatever casually racist stuff we could come up with based largely on their heritage/ancestry.

It was a good laugh to be honest. Some of the casual racism was pretty inventive, and it's good to laugh at yourself and each other.

Nobody took any offence, but I can see how somebody might be.

SectionDJambo
44 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

There was definitely an issue with her mic although I don't think she was miming but certainly had backing singers covering her.

One of the Queen’s favourite artists?

I now have an image of Her Majesty and Phil nipping along to the local discotheque back in the day. 
No doubt, good times had by all.

hmfc_steve

On holiday in Turkey just now .. some dafties have pinned up bunting and planted UJ flags with pics of the queen on them around their sunbeds .. tragic !  Think they can hear me laughing

Jambo-Jimbo

I'm fairly indifferent towards the Royal family/Monarchy, if they lasted another 1000 years or decided to call it a day when the Queen dies, wouldn't bother me either way.

I hear people saying we should have an elected head of state, well the problem with that is the people who didn't vote for them would probably end up hating them as much as some hate the royals and want them out, simply because they didn't vote for them, there'd still be a decent percentage of the population against whoever was the head of state, so tbh I'm not sure it would solve anything.

I really don't get the hatred some people have towards a family whom for many have only ever seen them on the TV, equally I don't get the tea towel saving commemorative mug flag waving devotion shown by many either.  What I do know is the monarchy have been around long long long before I was born and quite probably will be around long long long after I'm dead.

I'm certainly not going to get upset or even angry towards a family or an institution which means next to nothing to me.

The Mighty Thor

1 hour ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

The Jubilee bank holiday weekend has boosted the economy by 6 billion. Money well spent.

54 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Ah I see the Tories have wheeled out the ledendary GERS calculator (the one used to calculate Scotlands mythical deficit)

The whole thing including policing costs and all the stuff erected around London over 4 days cost £28 million? 😂

No seriously, it made £6 billion? 😂

47 minutes ago, John Gentleman said:

£28 million invested generating £6 billion revenue. Wow, that's some investmest!

Aye its some return on your dough 😂

The Mighty Thor
1 minute ago, manaliveits105 said:

Marvelous on the continent too don’t you know 

DC722FB8-E90E-4618-9757-A360FDDAD4F8.jpeg

Wait! You actually go abroad, like spend money to fly somewhere to go to a place like that? 

**** me. 

😂😂

John Gentleman
7 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Ah I see the Tories have wheeled out the ledendary GERS calculator (the one used to calculate Scotlands mythical deficit)

The whole thing including policing costs and all the stuff erected around London over 4 days cost £28 million? 😂

No seriously, it made £6 billion? 😂

Aye its some return on your dough 😂

Shouldn't this be on the 'More Tory Lies' thread?

25 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Wait! You actually go abroad, like spend money to fly somewhere to go to a place like that? 

**** me. 

😂😂

:laugh:

Lone Striker
44 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I'm fairly indifferent towards the Royal family/Monarchy, if they lasted another 1000 years or decided to call it a day when the Queen dies, wouldn't bother me either way.

I hear people saying we should have an elected head of state, well the problem with that is the people who didn't vote for them would probably end up hating them as much as some hate the royals and want them out, simply because they didn't vote for them, there'd still be a decent percentage of the population against whoever was the head of state, so tbh I'm not sure it would solve anything.

I really don't get the hatred some people have towards a family whom for many have only ever seen them on the TV, equally I don't get the tea towel saving commemorative mug flag waving devotion shown by many either.  What I do know is the monarchy have been around long long long before I was born and quite probably will be around long long long after I'm dead.

I'm certainly not going to get upset or even angry towards a family or an institution which means next to nothing to me.

At last, some laid-back common sense to the whole thing without resorting to competitive  flag-waving on a football fansite.👍

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, The Mighty Thor said:

**** me. 

😂😂

:laugh2:

**** me. 

😂😂

Stupendously fair comment.

Edited by Ray Gin

2 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Pretty much where I am - but I don’t think we’re doing the internet right.  You have to have extreme views one way or the other….

SwindonJambo
5 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Rod made his dosh early when he was half decent…….it’s only the weege that still think he’s any good and, they keep his bank balance topped up, his audiences consist of mainly blue rinses (well bleached blonds) and cardigan wearers.  Is it true he has a placard outside his LA mansion which says “Celtic park” (or similar)

Rod’s voice is getting very weak. I thought his backing vocalists carried him last night. I saw him a couple of times in the 90s with his voice still in excellent nick and his stage act full of bounce and energy but I doubt I’d see him now.

Unknown user
33 minutes ago, FWJ said:

Pretty much where I am - but I don’t think we’re doing the internet right.  You have to have extreme views one way or the other….

It's surely just that the people who feel strongest about a topic are those most likely to comment.

Lone Striker
13 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Lol me? Cleverish? 😂 I’m well aware what the blue is..my point was that didn’t feel like a British event to me. It just felt so English and like I say there’s nothing wrong with that the English are a fine people I have plenty pals down south and they can be as proud as they want about that nonsense. 
That felt another planet from Scotland for me was all. 

Ah ok.... picked you up wrong, sorry.  But if HRH had been resident at Holyrood yesterday, a similar OTT event would probably have been arranged  in Holyrood Park.   You'd have to have found another reason to despise it 😃

28 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

Rod’s voice is getting very weak. I thought his backing vocalists carried him last night. I saw him a couple of times in the 90s with his voice still in excellent nick and his stage act full of bounce and energy but I doubt I’d see him now.

Off topic I know but Rod Stewart is a very poor mans Steve Marriot, and I just caught his performance and he really should just pack it in....😁

Lone Striker
5 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Rod made his dosh early when he was half decent…….it’s only the weege that still think he’s any good and, they keep his bank balance topped up, his audiences consist of mainly blue rinses (well bleached blonds) and cardigan wearers.  Is it true he has a placard outside his LA mansion which says “Celtic park” (or similar)

Something like that, I think. He was in the papers a wee while back making a big noise about how proud he was that his son played in a Celtic youth team.   He's always seemed an opportunist Scots wannabe ....a Sellick glory hunter one too.

Lone Striker
50 minutes ago, Smithee said:

It's surely just that the people who feel strongest about a topic are those most likely to comment.

Probably ....which then gives a false impression about the importance of the topic in the eyes of a large chunk of society.   There's about 8 folk on here showing their hatred of  the monarchy. Fair play to their view, but it doesn't mean everyone else is a flag-waving royalist by default. 

SwindonJambo
4 hours ago, micole said:

Off topic I know but Rod Stewart is a very poor mans Steve Marriot, and I just caught his performance and he really should just pack it in....😁

Ironic comparison given Rod replaced SM as vocalist when the Small Faces morphed into the Faces. Rod’s voice has never been the same since he had a throat op a few years back. He was still putting in energetic performances well into his 50s. 

4 hours ago, SwindonJambo said:

1 hour ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

First to wear the green?

Specifically to wind up The Rangers Fans 

Geoff Kilpatrick
5 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Probably ....which then gives a false impression about the importance of the topic in the eyes of a large chunk of society.   There's about 8 folk on here showing their hatred of  the monarchy. Fair play to their view, but it doesn't mean everyone else is a flag-waving royalist by default. 

The only thing the royals could do to trigger them more is for each of them to put on a troll face apparently. Getting bent out of shape about the royals is the wrong target when there are problems in the world.

Seymour M Hersh
10 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

**** me. 

😂😂

These two would be more your type of "establishment" I think. 

th-3.jpeg

th-2.jpeg

The Mighty Thor
10 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

These two would be more your type of "establishment" I think. 

th-3.jpeg

th-2.jpeg

That's your problem right there. Thinking.

I'm off to Italy on Thursday and being a modern thinking, European facing Scot, once I've negotiated the shit fest of not being able to travel freely thanks to the racist Englanders, I'll spend my time soaking up the local culture, visiting the galleries, the museums, enjoying the opera, eating and drinking with the locals and just generally enjoying life.

What i'll not be doing is looking for a roast beef dinner and drinking pints of Carling with a shower of flag waving heart attacks waiting to happen. 😎

The Real Maroonblood

I'm off to Italy on Thursday and being a modern thinking, European facing Scot, once I've negotiated the shit fest of not being able to travel freely thanks to the racist Englanders, I'll spend my time soaking up the local culture, visiting the galleries, the museums, enjoying the opera, eating and drinking with the locals and just generally enjoying life.

What i'll not be doing is looking for a roast beef dinner and drinking pints of Carling with a shower of flag waving heart attacks waiting to happen. 😎

Sounds a good plan.

🍺🍷🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

SwindonJambo
22 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

👏This is exactly where I am. Balanced and reflective post on what has been a car crash of a thread at times.  I live in an Oxfordshire village with flags and bunting everywhere. If it makes people happy, good for them. I didn’t partake myself. Plenty of non royalists down here too btw but don’t feel the need to draw attention to themselves and get into a hate filled froth about it. 

There have been some utterly  crass comments on this thread with a number of posters doing themselves and their causes no favours at all. 

Ron Burgundy

Looks like the people who wanted to enjoy and celebrate it had a fantastic time and the people who wanted to berate and slag it off had a ball as well.

Great time for everyone.

SwindonJambo
13 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Looks like the people who wanted to enjoy and celebrate it had a fantastic time and the people who wanted to berate and slag it off had a ball as well.

Great time for everyone.

Well put :D I would add a 3rd group - the indifferent people who also benefitted - with an extra public holiday. Everyone a winner !

Seymour M Hersh
3 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

And your little sycophant accused me of being a pseudo-intellectual. That's rich......:rofl:

The Real Maroonblood
19 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

And your little sycophant accused me of being a pseudo-intellectual. That's rich......:rofl:

:rofl:

Armageddon

I love the fact Rod is being destroyed for destroying Sweet Caroline - two birds, one stone!

If was such a shocking version they couldn't even sing along to it - amazing!

Edited by Armageddon

The Mighty Thor
3 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Whoever this 'little sycophant' is, he's got your number 😉