Jamie walker

professorfate

Hearts signed a lad George Donaldson from, maybe Rangers, in the mid 1970’s and he was a real talent but if he started a game he was knackered in the second half. You knew when he played he could never last more than 45 minutes and the one big difference is he never got chance after chance like many players that Cathro, Levein & Walker have given to players who can’t give the team a shift like Walker & Halliday who disappear game after game. 

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• DH1986

• Pasquale for King

• A_A wehatethehibs

On 21/05/2021 at 23:58, Hungry hippo said:

I think RN likes him as an option to come off the bench and will continue with that in the Premiership. There aren't many non strikers in our wage bracket with his kind of goal ratio.

I think this is because even at his relatively young age he seems incapable of lasting 90 minutes.

Not sure if it is la ack of fitness or an attitude issue.

Captain Canada

Definitely worth keeping as an impact sub. He's changed a lot of games for us off the bench but I don't see him starting regularly.

On 22/05/2021 at 09:48, GinRummy said:

Done all his best work from the bench. When he’s started he’s generally been anonymous.

Indeed. I’m still absolutely mystified that he couldn’t raise himself to make even the tiniest positive contribution to the biggest game he will ever play back in December. An empty shirt that day.

Tynecastlesmychurch

He’s a rotation option. When he’s in form he’ll play. As he still has plenty to offer. He can also make an impact of the bench as has been said. In my opinion he’s a fantastic option to have in the squad. Especially when we won’t be relying on him. 

Tokyo Drifter
On 21/05/2021 at 23:54, professorfate said:

Does anybody think Jamie Walker has a future at hearts because I think neilson has made slight hints about his fitness and trying harder in training.

Done well as an impact sub, which makes everyone say 'Why doesn't he start?'. Then when he starts and gets hooked everyone wonders if he has a future. I like Jamie but there is something lacking and it might be fitness. Can't believe it's motivation: he's playing for Hearts for heaven's sake.

Absolute Scenes
5 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Jamie Walker is a waste of a shirt. 

Jamie Walker single handedly won several games for us last season

not saying he’s a world beater, but definitely not a waste of shirt 

Allowayjambo1874

Seems mental that for some he is worth perceiving with when they freely admit he is a ‘great impact sub’.

Must be great to have a job that pays so handsomely that you only have to meaningfully contribute about 15 minutes a week towards.

We need hungry players with a point to prove, if Jamie wasn’t a Hearts fan he would be the very definition of another journeyman pro which is the last thing we need at the club. 

Jambo in Bathgate
45 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Jamie Walker is a waste of a shirt. 

That’s not true. He wasn’t able to play 90 mins. But what an impact sub. Won games and saved us a few times. 

Meh.

Offload if we can, if not, utilise him the best way possible next season (impact sub) and no contract renewal. 

2 minutes ago, martoon said:

Meh.

Offload if we can, if not, utilise him the best way possible next season (impact sub) and no contract renewal. 

Tend to agree. Assuming we are on a budget we could probably utilise his wage better elsewhere. If he stays, I won’t be gutted. He’ll have some good moments and cause some frustration I should think. 

Edited by GinRummy

Just now, GinRummy said:

Tend to agree. Assuming we are in a budget we could probably utilise his wage better elsewhere. If he stays, I won’t be gutted. He’ll have some good moments and cause some frustration I should think. 

We have/had many more with contracts who have offered nothing close to what Jamie has. We could be here all day, GR, listing the wage thieves.

I'd like much more from him but at least Walker contributes. 

1 minute ago, martoon said:

We have/had many more with contracts who have offered nothing close to what Jamie has. We could be here all day, GR, listing the wage thieves.

All true and some still with us. 

David Black

It'll be interesting to see what physical shape he is in when pre-season starts. It will show if he has or has not been putting in the extra training many of the other players are doing. I hope he has as he still has a lot to offer when 100% fit. 

5 minutes ago, martoon said:

Correct. He scored 8 goals last season and barely started. We'd like more from him but if he can chip in with 10 goals a season then he's doing OK. 

1 minute ago, Cruyff said:

Correct. He scored 8 goals last season and barely started. We'd like more from him but if he can chip in with 10 goals a season then he's doing OK. 

I think he's capable of around the same total next season, even in a cameo role.

7-10 goals, impacting FT results, could be invaluable. Especially if late in a Cup tie or derby.

I won't greet in my beer if he does move on, Johann, but happy enough for him to see out his contract.

Fort Vallance

I hope he has a good preseason and starts strongly. Could be a big player for us this year. Far to good a player to be written off by so many. It might be the wrong attitude but I can understand to a point how he couldn't get himself up for it last season. Playing crap football in a crap league. Not excusing it if that was the problem, but can see why. Last chance saloon at Hearts though.

1 minute ago, Fort Vallance said:

I hope he has a good preseason and starts strongly. Could be a big player for us this year. Far to good a player to be written off by so many. It might be the wrong attitude but I can understand to a point how he couldn't get himself up for it last season. Playing crap football in a crap league. Not excusing it if that was the problem, but can see why. Last chance saloon at Hearts though.

That's a fair point.

Many under performed at various stages last season and often the team as a collective.

JW was far from unique in that sense.

If he stays, I think he'll do us a turn.

Bazzas right boot

If he can even be as half as effective from the bench as he was last season then he'll be more than useful. 

Been an age since I've felt a player could come of the bench and win us a game. 

Ofc we'd all like a player to do that over 90 and on a consistent basis, but If a player does that then in all honesty he want be with us long. 

He Has a role to play if he can have the impact he had last season. 

I recently watched clips of his goals for us, the ladie doesn't just score goals, he's a player capable of changing the game in a second. He scores very good goals. 

We don't have a player like that and if we do get them then the more the merrier, even if some are bench options. 

I'd rather have Walker coming on as a sub with  the game  0-0 rather than some dafty who will try hard and run about a bit. 

He speed of thought and quick technique gave him an advantage over tiring defenders, whether that works a level up we will find out. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

9 minutes ago, Barack said:

And if he doesn't...? 

:byebye:

I think he will need to command a starting position to get an extended deal, can't see it unfortunately. 

5 minutes ago, martoon said:

I think he's capable of around the same total next season, even in a cameo role.

7-10 goals, impacting FT results, could be invaluable. Especially if late in a Cup tie or derby.

I won't greet in my beer if he does move on, Johann, but happy enough for him to see out his contract.

He's capable but I'd prefer the Jamie Walker first time around. He can definitely do more.  

LarrysRightFoot
On 22/05/2021 at 00:01, professorfate said:

I rate him quite highly he can definitely be a game changer on his day. But he is letdown by his attitude in my opinion.

If Walker had the right attitude he wouldn’t be at Hearts. Extremely talented but hasn’t had the career he should have. 

5 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

If Walker had the right attitude he wouldn’t be at Hearts. Extremely talented but hasn’t had the career he should have. 

If Walker had the right attitude he might be a starter for Hearts,  not any level higher.

Jamie will probably chip in with a few goals off the bench this season then end up signing for Raith next summer.

He could have been a great player for us but he is anonymous in the big games. I hope he starts none of the derbies this season.

jamtartan74

The frustrating thing about him is that we all know that he can be a very good player but we seldom see it, not sure what the problem is if it’s fitness or something else but I think he is worth keeping for another season to see how it pans out for him, but at the same time if we got rid then I wouldn’t be fussed 🤷🏻‍♂️.

1 hour ago, David Black said:

It'll be interesting to see what physical shape he is in when pre-season starts. It will show if he has or has not been putting in the extra training many of the other players are doing. I hope he has as he still has a lot to offer when 100% fit. 

Yeah, hopefully this will give him a blank slate to get his fitness back to where it should be. 

Could be wrong but he has a knee issue right? So its a constant that needs to be managed. I'm fine with him being an option off the bench because the quality is there. Obviously when he ceases to be impacting games then there will be a conversation to be had. Despite the fitness issues last season he did score a few goals so heres hoping that is maintained this coming year. 

gowestjambo
2 hours ago, Allowayjambo1874 said:

Seems mental that for some he is worth perceiving with when they freely admit he is a ‘great impact sub’.

Must be great to have a job that pays so handsomely that you only have to meaningfully contribute about 15 minutes a week towards.

We need hungry players with a point to prove, if Jamie wasn’t a Hearts fan he would be the very definition of another journeyman pro which is the last thing we need at the club. 

Agree entirely with the above, in fact his effort and pay are about commensurate with certain Air Traffic Controllers.....

Tennant's  6's
2 hours ago, Jambo in Bathgate said:

That’s not true. He wasn’t able to play 90 mins. But what an impact sub. Won games and saved us a few times. 

Yeah, true, in the Championship. 

More difficult for him to do that next season. Hopefully him entering the final year of his contract might make him knuckle down and graft for a new deal, although I'd rather he was released to make space for better quality & harder workers. 

Many Hearts fans would say “When Townsend plays well Hearts Play well”. Hibees said the same thing with Stanton. Walker could be put in the same bracket if only he was more consistent and play for the whole game.

Edited by mitch41

King Of The Cat Cafe

Walker is only 27.  He can score good goals, mainly because he has the knack of being in the right place when a chance present itself.  He is also a player that defenders need to watch, and that helps our other striker.

David Black
35 minutes ago, OTT said:

Yeah, hopefully this will give him a blank slate to get his fitness back to where it should be. 

Could be wrong but he has a knee issue right? So its a constant that needs to be managed. I'm fine with him being an option off the bench because the quality is there. Obviously when he ceases to be impacting games then there will be a conversation to be had. Despite the fitness issues last season he did score a few goals so heres hoping that is maintained this coming year. 

I thought the knee issue had been resolved a year or so back. Could be wrong of course.

Fort Vallance
4 hours ago, Barack said:

Why should he get the hump & get a pass? Boyce was blatantly pissed off in games last year. He still did his job, got top scorer & walked away with POTY awards.

I know you're not excusing it, or justifying it. But again it goes back to how players are getting leeway, because they're "Hearts". 

Gnadulliett played about 14 games, scored 5 & assisted with 4. Yet gets branded "lazy". When per minute, he's contributed more than most players in the team. Never mind Jamie.

The hypocrisy is staggering at times. :lol:

Hypocrisy? Never met a football fan yet that didn't have an opinion on a player. In my opinion, some of these opinions are shite. I think Gnaduilliett has been ok for what it's worth. 

I think with Walker you're going to get more out of him with a bit of encouragement rather than calling him a lazy ****. Just my opinion mind.

Guest ToqueJambo

Not sure him or Naisy will be satisfied with the bench, which seems to be their future with us going by last season.

5 hours ago, db211833 said:

If Walker had the right attitude he might be a starter for Hearts,  not any level higher.

Imagine yourself having the ability to pull on the famous maroon jersey.

Bad attitude and bad injuries, bad combination.

2 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Not sure him or Naisy will be satisfied with the bench, which seems to be their future with us going by last season.

Naismith possibly.  Walker won’t make more money than he’s on again in his life.  No danger he will leave. 

bigis semiauskas

Latest scans on knee  showing good news, so not as bad as first feared which could have set him back again big time,

Delighted about that as he is one of the few quality players we have.

abuse he gets is out of order. 

BackOfTheNet

The injury would say Brandon, but the abuse part? Walker maybe? Either way the post is very confusing.

2 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

The injury would say Brandon, but the abuse part? Walker maybe? Either way the post is very confusing.

I’d wager it’s Walker. He had knee issues and as m8ch as I still hold high hopes for Brandon I can’t see anyone describing him as ‘one if the few quality players we have’.

Edited by GinRummy

2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Chebs

Doesn’t even start to do them justice.

In the style of the M&S adverts “these aren’t just chebs, these are Jamie Lee Curtis chebs”