Jamie walker

professorfate

professorfate

Does anybody think Jamie Walker has a future at hearts because I think neilson has made slight hints about his fitness and trying harder in training.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• DH1986

• bigis semiauskas

• martoon

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hungry hippo

I think RN likes him as an option to come off the bench and will continue with that in the Premiership. There aren't many non strikers in our wage bracket with his kind of goal ratio.

professorfate
Just now, Hungry hippo said:

I think RN likes him as an option to come off the bench and will continue with that in the Premiership. There aren't many non strikers in our wage bracket with his kind of goal ratio.

I rate him quite highly he can definitely be a game changer on his day. But he is letdown by his attitude in my opinion.

See this 352 Robbie has adopted with Boyce as a 10, I think Walker is tailor made for one of the two. 

Would like to see him given a chance in that position. He’s not the most mobile but give him the ball in the box and things happen. 

professorfate

I just hope Naismith retires and Robbie trusts Walker to play the no 10 position.

1 minute ago, professorfate said:

I just hope Naismith retires and Robbie trusts Walker to play the no 10 position.

Be happy to lose both tbh

Jamie has a lot of quality but the fitness and conditioning side of his game has always been a disgrace IMO

I mind him doing an interview after his laddie was born when he was about 23 saying he’d come to the realisation that he needs to stop eating his kids sweets and looking after himself. Even to this day we hear that his fitness isn’t up to much which is mental when you consider the talent he has at his disposal.

I honestly think whether it be this summer or next summer, when he leaves us he will join a st Johnstone or a st mirren and after that he won’t get another full time contract 

vlad on the tyne

Walker doesn't do enough to be considered as a regular. Games tend to pass him by I find. 

cosanostra

He's done enough this year to warrant a place in the squad and a regular place on the bench.

He doesn't do enough to warrant a regular start IMO.

Bazzas right boot

If he can be a player that changes games and score from the bench then yes. 

I've no problem with that, can't remember a time when we've had a player come on and had me thinking he'll make a difference. 

If he can do that and both parties are happy then all good. 

As an impact sub I think he has a role to play. He can win us a game off the bench but I don't think he's first XI material at the moment. 

He really needs to influence games more as he has done in the past, which we know he can do. The only thing that will ruin his future career at Hearts is himself. 

I don't think he's a wide player anymore either, he needs to play behind a striker because his strengths are getting into goal scoring positions and finishing. He's scored 52 goals for us, he could score another 50 playing there. 

I’m going to buck the trend a wee bot and say probably not much of a future. He’s not fit enough for 90 minutes and could offer something off the bench for a short spell though. 

If he's not absolutely busting a gut to get on the park, I want nothing to do with him.

Jeffros Furios

Walker's performances from the  latter stages of his first stint to now have been poor .

Hes not a young guy anymore and in the next few seasons I could see him at Dunfermline/Raith .

Jamie has so much quality but seems to lack the motivation, which, for me, is baffling because he's living the dream playing for the club he and all his family grew up supporting. Big pre season for Jamie coming up, because if he can improve his fitness and attitude then we have a proper match winner.

Byyy The Light

Frustrating player.

He has the look of a guy who’d rather play within himself and be average then push himself, give everything and fail.

If he had a different mentality he’d be some player.

1 hour ago, Harry Potter said:

Should be given a few starts next season, 

Thing is whenever he started this season, he and the team player very poorly - slow and lethargic, may have been a coincidence that the two are related. Off the bench though he played with aggression and provided goals.

1 hour ago, Harry Potter said:

Should be given a few starts next season, 

Based on what ?

Hows he performed in a handful of matches last season ?

Nookie Bear

I don’t want to give up on him because to replace him with a player of similar ability AND that extra fitness and motivations is beyond him. 

Happy for him to be on the bench but this season is a crossroads for him and he needs to understand that. 

Салатные палочки

He is capable of the occasional moment of magic and great goals but he's one of these players who plays with his head down. By now he should have learned to impose himself on games more but that hasn't happened. He's not a young guy anymore and is approaching the peak of his career. 

If he's not on massive wages, it's worth keeping him as an option off the bench but as mentioned he isn't good enough to warrant a starting place every week. 

Edited by Salad Fingers

10 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

Based on what ?

Done all his best work from the bench. When he’s started he’s generally been anonymous.

8 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Done all his best work from the bench. When he’s started he’s generally been anonymous.

Yes......and because of this I’d look to move him on asap.

1 minute ago, DH1986 said:

Yes......and because of this I’d look to move him on asap.

For me, depends who comes in I suppose. Right now he could have an impact from the bench but get the right attacking options in the squad then I agree, he could move on. 

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

For me, depends who comes in I suppose. Right now he could have an impact from the bench but get the right attacking options in the squad then I agree, he could move on. 

RN wants a smaller squad so there is going to be less room for fringe players like Walker.

I think he’ll be out on loan next season.

Great option from the bench, also capable of starting if there's injuries - without heavily weakening the side. Far better than the other likely alternatives available to us, a youngster or a dud. 

2 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

RN wants a smaller squad so there is going to be less room for fringe players like Walker.

I think he’ll be out on loan next season.

You may well be right. May be stating the obvious but if he wants a smaller squad he must add much better quality and not  older players, who are more likely to get injured either. No point relying on 30+ year old players to stay fit all season.

Pasquale for King

He has always been a frustrating player, so good at certain points but rarely demands the ball. 
His fitness problems are well documented, his attitude can seem poor at times too. 
When we played Morton away and he scored the two goals he was great, but mostly because Naismith was shouting at him the whole game to keep him on his toes. 
Can only really play at 10 now but it will be mostly off the bench or when Boyce is unavailable and if Naismith retires. 
Definitely his last season with us. 

Jamtastico

Overall, sadly I just see him as a stop gap.

If recruitment goes well over this window, and those players perform. I can only see his a sub at best.

I'd love to see the JW of old, but like most have said here, I just don't see it.

Always want every player to do well though, so I'll stay optimistic!

Edited by Jamtastico

5 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

You may well be right. May be stating the obvious but if he wants a smaller squad he must add much better quality and not  older players, who are more likely to get injured either. No point relying on 30+ year old players to stay fit all season.

He did say he was looking to lower the average age of the squad so you have to assume he wants these younger and fitter players to play more minutes.

We really shouldn't have taken him back in the first place, let alone on a (3?) year deal. 

The lad peaked in his early 20's and doesn't offer a huge amount any more. If he's not capable of being the main man in this Hearts team at this age then there's not really much hope for him. 

Expect the odd goal or bit of skill from him in the prem next season, but we should be aiming a lot higher than him.

Hopefully moved on swiftly at the end of his deal and can go and play at Raith or Edinburgh City or something. 

jambogirlglasgow

He just doesn’t seem to be bright enough to have any concept that he’s a professional athlete. If you follow him on social media his life seems to revolve around play, not work. He would have done well to have looked at his boss in relation to making the most of your ability through sheer graft. 

I doubt he’s even smart enough to have any regrets.

Glamorgan Jambo

Anybody know what the injury situation is with him. As soon as we got promoted he dropped out of the squad and from what I could infer was back at Riccarton with the rehab squad (Ginnelly etc)

Don't understand why football clubs are so opaque when discussing injuries these days. Back in the day it was pretty much all that guys like Mike Aitken wrote about.

14 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

He did say he was looking to lower the average age of the squad so you have to assume he wants these younger and fitter players to play more minutes.

I hope so. I’m still a bit sceptical but we will find out. 

Harry Potter
54 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

Based on what ?

based on he has skill, 

I like Jamie but him and Naismith are not our future. Jamie is great coming off the bench however and I do think Naisy is finished and should concentrate on his coaching badges. 

RustyRightPeg

Make or break season for me. Finger out and warrant a place in the first 11 or go. We don’t want to carry passengers in the squad. Being happy to come off the bench and play 20/30 mins here and there isn’t what we want or need. We want 20 boys fighting for the strip. 

There will be a big difference in his attitude and fitness because next season is his last year of the three year contract Levein gave him, I would use him as a squad player but no new contract after that. He would revert back to the invisible man if he got another deal.

letsalldothebeattie

Think he will. Mainly off the bench hopefully as an impact sub with the odd game against a lesser team

Still only 27. If he could get fit he could be a great player for us. Sadly, I just think his best days are behind him.  

According to Craig Gordon he is the best finisher at the club. Might well see him further forward this season.  Definitely better coming off the bench 

I’ve said before that Walkers body has let him down. 
He started great for Hearts and when he got the first serious injury we really missed his contribution but as the years have went on and he got injured again, he has been robbed of the pace he once had. 
I think the football brain is still there but for the last few years he has looked like he has been unable to stretch the legs fully. 
He came back to us, has contributed (great goal against Pars) but unless we can get 90mins from him rather than hoping he will be an impact sub. In my opinion I would be looking to move him on