Stendel back in work at Nancy

WalterEgo

1 hour ago, Scottie Wanshot. said:

so were you a fan, a manager playing absolute joke of a goalkeeper, who was a total embarrassment to the team, who lost us countless amount of points.

Let’s not forget who put the relegation group of players together including floppy wrists. 

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Last Laff

• Maroon Sailor

• Morgan

• Scottie Wanshot.

1 hour ago, Last Laff said:

Doyle was.  Zlamal also shite.  Difference was Stendel brought none of them to the club in the shape of moulding a side.  He was left with utter dross and Levein was only sacked as it was relegation form anyway otherwise he would have still have been kept.  He tried to get Gordon back and signed this season player of the year with one hand tied behind his back and Levein still kicking about as a makeshift Janny/Sports scientist/ doctor while he was trying to mark his stamp with the squad, we even took ages brining him in then his coaching team instead he had to work with Ulster Andy, the woman’s coach now.  He’s the one manager in recent times that didn’t get a fair crack at the whip, probably since Robbo and then Burley. 

Stendel never tried to get Gordon and he had nothing to do with Boyce. He was a failure, same as Cathro, Levein, McPhee. 

4 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Let’s not forget who put the relegation group of players together including floppy wrists. 

:thumbsup:

Scottie will be loving the attention he is now getting.

**** Stendel tbh. Rightly or wrongly he’s gone. Don’t wish him a poor career or anything. It’s just raking over old coals. How anyone can begin to mention how time at hearts without mentioning the poor, unfit squad he inherited is frankly incredible. 

4 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Stendel never tried to get Gordon and he had nothing to do with Boyce. He was a failure, same as Cathro, Levein, McPhee. 

That’s the bottom line. 

16 minutes ago, DS98 said:

He was managing in the same league Boyce was in then Boyce came to the club under him in charge, how and why was he nothing to do with Boyce signing and we tried to get Gordon in the January window, he was also told to sell before any money available and got money for Mulraney.

He was ultimately a failure yes but Levein Neilson and Cathro at least got time and support.  Stendel got none of that. 

10 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

He was managing in the same league Boyce was in then Boyce came to the club under him in charge, how and why was he nothing to do with Boyce signing and we tried to get Gordon in the January window, he was also told to sell before any money available and got money for Mulraney.

He was ultimately a failure yes but Levein Neilson and Cathro at least got time and support.  Stendel got none of that. 

McPhee got Boyce on board. We made a feeble half-hearted enquiry about Gordon late in the window which Stendel had absolutely nothing to do with. In fact he was more against the idea. 

Scottie Wanshot.
2 hours ago, Morgan said:

Hi Scott 👍

This post of yours, coupled with the reply to me on the Doyle and Pereira thread, referencing Kenny Garland, has me thinking that you are either:

1. :hobofish: fishing for bites

or

2. On the wind-up

How am I doing?  🤷🏿‍♂️

doing ok brother.

10 minutes ago, Scottie Wanshot. said:

doing ok brother.

That’s what I reckoned, Scottie.

Thanks for confirming my thoughts.  👍

Guest ToqueJambo

Decent opportunity just like he had with us. Let's hope he makes a better fist of it. I still think of Nancy as a top league French team - can remember when Ray Stephen went there from Dundee. Wenger was their manager. Wonder if he'll get the same support from Nancy fans he gets from some on here if he makes them worse with a 29% win record. 

Edited by ToqueJambo

2 hours ago, DS98 said:

McPhee got Boyce on board. We made a feeble half-hearted enquiry about Gordon late in the window which Stendel had absolutely nothing to do with. In fact he was more against the idea. 

I’m sure the manager had the final say unless it was Levein the janny who told hearts to sign him or are you suggesting Stendel wasn’t allowed to bring in his own players or only the ones that didn’t work out?

Why would he be against signing the second best goalkeeper in the country? :lol: 

3 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Decent opportunity just like he had with us. Let's hope he makes a better fist of it. I still think of Nancy as a top league French team - can remember when Ray Stephen went there from Dundee. Wonder if he'll get the same support from Nancy fans he gets from some on here if he makes them worse with a 29% win record. 

He didn’t have a decent opportunity at HMFC.  He came in November got his staff in December had a shite transfer window and the league stopped in March :lol:  His win percentage was one of a manager coming to a new club in free fall due to another manager destroying the club for years.  

Edited by Last Laff

Guest ToqueJambo
5 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

He didn’t have a decent opportunity at HMFC.  He came in November got his staff in December had a shite transfer window and the league stopped in March :lol:  His win percentage was one of a manager coming to a new club in free fall due to another manager destroying the club for years.  

It was still a great opportunity. 15 league games is not far off half a season (in fact it turned out to be about half a season). Let's see if Nancy fans will be so forgiving if he has such a bad record there. They're in a worst situation than we were, being mid table in French football's lowest professional tier. Does that count as freefall considering where they used to be? Not sure they'll appreciate being made worse anyhow but hope he does well.

Edited by ToqueJambo

13 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

It was still a great opportunity. 15 league games is not far off half a season (in fact it turned out to be about half a season). Let's see if Nancy fans will be so forgiving if he has such a bad record there. They're in a worst situation than we were, being mid table in French football's lowest professional tier. Does that count as freefall considering where they used to be? Not sure they'll appreciate being made worse anyhow but hope he does well.

It wasn’t a great opportunity and he should never had taken it on if he knew he was going to be shat on like it was. 

The club was controlled by one guy just been sacked but still kicking about, the team had relegation form, there was no budget and he couldn’t even get his own background staff in for over a month.  How on earth is that a great opportunity? 

16 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Oh and how did Stendel make us worse exactly?  What was the form before he was appointed? Relegation form.  That’s why reluctantly Levein was sacked but mentally still kept on but we sack Stendel despite him actually caring enough to forfeit his wage as Levein was still taking money out the club a lot long after he was finally, eventually, correctly, punted because of the relegation form and shite show he left the club in. 

38 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

I’m sure the manager had the final say unless it was Levein the janny who told hearts to sign him or are you suggesting Stendel wasn’t allowed to bring in his own players or only the ones that didn’t work out?

Why would he be against signing the second best goalkeeper in the country? :lol: 

Probably for the same reason he consistently played the WORST keeper in the country. He wanted to play a sweeper keeper system and didn’t give two flying ****s about defending. 

And I’d say CG is the best, not the second best. 

Edited by DS98

Guest ToqueJambo
8 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Oh and how did Stendel make us worse exactly?  What was the form before he was appointed? Relegation form.  That’s why reluctantly Levein was sacked but mentally still kept on but we sack Stendel despite him actually caring enough to forfeit his wage as Levein was still taking money out the club a lot long after he was finally, eventually, correctly, punted because of the relegation form and shite show he left the club in. 

Because we became worse off in the league. That's what worse means.

Guest ToqueJambo
7 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Probably for the same reason he consistently played the WORST keeper in the country. He wanted to play a sweeper keeper system and didn’t give two flying ****s about defending. 

Exactly this. Stendel was so obsessed with his way of playing he lost sight of what we needed which was points. Two seconds of research into Scottish football during the massive amount of time it took for him to arrive here would have told him a sweeper keeper is not going to work here and that teams will happily sit back and punt long balls into space all day long, on crappy pitches guaranteed to bamboozle goalies playing sweeper. A bit more research into CG would found that Brendan Rodgers also didn't rate Craig Gordon as a sweeper keeper but ended up going back to him instead of using the sweeper keeper he signed. He should have done what Robbie did and jumped at the chance to sign the country's best goalie.

Whatever mistakes Neilson made this season, none of them were as bad or damaging as that one (actually those two - not dropping Perreria and not signing CG).

Edited by ToqueJambo

Guest ToqueJambo
21 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

It wasn’t a great opportunity and he should never had taken it on if he knew he was going to be shat on like it was. 

The club was controlled by one guy just been sacked but still kicking about, the team had relegation form, there was no budget and he couldn’t even get his own background staff in for over a month.  How on earth is that a great opportunity? 

It was Stendel's job to change things and correct the mistakes of the previous manager, not stick with the same goalie who had looked dodgy all season. There was budget. For a start he was paid a fortune. He was also backed in January.

3 hours ago, been here before said:

Ach you're trying hard but the problem you've got there is that you dont know what games (if any) Ive watched this year.

You seem to want the attention so have one more go...

Read my post again and have another bash at that one.

14 hours ago, been here before said:

See how I said "one" of the worst?

See how I said "borne witness to"?

Well I put those 2 parts in to help people understand that a) I know there have been other shite performances and b) no fans, myself included, witnessed any games this year. I thought that was onbvious. Next time Ill try and dumb it down even more to take you into consideration.

Apologies for making it complicated.

"onbvious"???

SidewaysFitba

Best of luck to the guy, I thought he was treated badly by AB from day one.   The last manager we had since Sergio to captivate the fans.👍

siegementality
16 hours ago, Restonbabe said:

Dont think in a game where it mattered the most, away from home with a large backing since Dundee in 86 have we played so bad and failed. 

Maybe the 96 Cup final or the 95 semi vs Airdrie. 

St mirren game was massive at the time. 

It turned out to be a massive game. If the season had finished normally, like in the vast majority of countries, that game might not even have been remembered if we’d stayed up.

Bazzas right boot

Good luck to the guy. 

I liked him and longer term who knows what he could have achieved. 

Short term tho he taken a poor Hearts team over, changed things like bringing in his own players, staff and binning others and unfortunately we got worse and ended up 4 adrift of Hamilton. 

Longer term nobody knows, unfortunately short he failed and unfortunately for him - covid and the season ending early was cherry on the big shit cake of a season for us. 

Good luck, Daniel son. 

SectionDJambo
12 hours ago, DS98 said:

Maybe it was because he was told that if he got Craig Gordon he couldn't get anyone else in? Maybe it was because he saw that Celtic didn't want to let him go and were wasting his time? I don't know, and I suspect that nobody outside Hearts recruitment team at the time knows either. 

He brought in Liam Boyce, Tony Sibbick and the 2 guys from Germany who were obviously cheap gambles from the start. Sibbick certainly looked a player but picked up an illness which he couldn't shake off.

Stendel had done very well with Barnsley in a far more competitive league than the Scottish Premiership, but he hadn't come in half way through a season with a squad that were as unfit and lacking in quality as Craig Levein and his merry band of hopeless coaches had left him. Then he felt that he couldn't trust any of those coaches apart from Andy Kirk. No surprise there when Levein was still lurking in the shadows, and he wasn't able to bring his own trusted coaches with him for a while. 

I certainly don't trust Levein to have not interfered with the thoughts of any players he still had the ear of. If Stendel had succeeded, what would that have made Levein look like? The man's ego would have burst like a balloon with a pin through it. He's still trying to blame Stendel for the squad that Neilson inherited.

Stendel was in a situation at Hearts that few, if any, new managers coming into any club will have had to deal with. I certainly don't think that a Scottish manager of any repute would have taken the job with Levein still hanging around.

He inherited a bloated unfit squad, but even taking that handicap into account he failed to get any sort of a new manager bounce and criticised the senior players after a couple of games, not really the best way to make friends and influence people.

There were signs of improvement when the music stopped, but nobody knows what would have happened if the league had been completed.

Kudos to him for forgoing his wages during the pandemic, while his predecessor and alleged PHM bled the club for every penny he could when he was furloughed from his paperclip shuffling job.

Jim Panzee

Stendel - right guy, wong time. 

His persistence in playing Pereira was his and our downfall. People say Doyle was just as bad / worse - but I do recall Doyle making an outstanding save in one game - diving full length to tip a shot onto the post and out for a corner. I cannot recall Pereira doing the same.

I recall Pereira trying to tip a chest high shot over the bar in one game - missing completely and in it went. Doyle committed the howler v motherwell - but not many more?

Our wins v the hobos and the rangers I feel were more those teams playing openly to win the game. Against other teams who put 10 behind the ball and tried to nick a goal, Stendel's style of play didn't work (maybe different players would've made a difference - but if so, he should've kept us up and then tried his style of play, with his players the seaosn after)

Maroon Sailor

Personal thought now is Stendel was only ever keeping the seat warm for Robbie.

Jim Panzee
25 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Personal thought now is Stendel was only ever keeping the seat warm for Robbie.

an expensive option?

Maroon Sailor
12 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

an expensive option?

It just looks that way

Took ages for them to bring Stendel in and if the rumours are true that Robbie was sounded out but wanted to get United promoted first it all adds up to how his appointment came out the blue after the season ended.

Jim Panzee
3 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

It just looks that way

Took ages for them to bring Stendel in and if the rumours are true that Robbie was sounded out but wanted to get United promoted first it all adds up to how his appointment came out the blue after the season ended.

hmmm. interesting thought. could've stuck with mcphee or tried another coach or an official caretaker - player manager? asked Naismith to step in for free?

Maroon Sailor
5 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

hmmm. interesting thought. could've stuck with mcphee or tried another coach or an official caretaker - player manager? asked Naismith to step in for free?

McPhee and Naismith were untested as managers. They gave McPhee as long as they could.

Don't forget the relationship between Levein and Robbie.

Levein had total control and even when he was sacked he still had some input !

Edited by Maroon Sailor

Saint Jambo
2 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

McPhee and Naismith were untested as managers. They gave McPhee as long as they could.

Don't forget the relationship between Levein and Robbie.

Levein had total control and even when he was sacked he still had some input !

This totally ignores that if Stendel had kept us up he would have remained under contract for another two seasons. By all accounts it was a contract on more generous terms than most of the managers we've had. Are you really suggesting the Budge's plan was to pay off the remainder of his two-year contract to bring in Neilson?

Budge and Stendel agreed a break point in his contract if we failed to stay up. Even if Stendel was unlucky that we went down in the circumstances we did, from a purely financial management point of view, making a decision not to use that break point would have been crazy. That is even before we get on to the failings he had demonstrated as manager of Hearts.

Maroon Sailor
13 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

This totally ignores that if Stendel had kept us up he would have remained under contract for another two seasons. By all accounts it was a contract on more generous terms than most of the managers we've had. Are you really suggesting the Budge's plan was to pay off the remainder of his two-year contract to bring in Neilson?

Budge and Stendel agreed a break point in his contract if we failed to stay up. Even if Stendel was unlucky that we went down in the circumstances we did, from a purely financial management point of view, making a decision not to use that break point would have been crazy. That is even before we get on to the failings he had demonstrated as manager of Hearts.

Just a personal thought based on how suddenly Robbie ended up back at Hearts despite having to drop down a division.

I was surprised at the time but thinking about it maybe it wasn't so surprising.

Edited by Maroon Sailor

Guest ToqueJambo
3 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Just a personal thought based on how suddenly Robbie ended up back at Hearts despite having to drop down a division.

I was surprised at the time but thinking about it maybe it wasn't so surprising.

If you look back at the media, Stendel and his agent were being very noncommittal, saying he "wanted" to stay at Hearts but he needed guarantees around what league we would be in, when the league would start, how long it would be, what his budget would be, etc. One week after the last article appeared saying Stendel needed time and answers before committing, Neilson was appointed. Clearly we couldn't give Stendel the answers he wanted, understandably. Getting a very high wage off the budget and bringing in a cheaper more reliable manager was probably seen as a bonus. At the end of the day, Stendel's relegation clause worked both ways and he certainly didn't seem in a rush to come back while Neilson was willing to leave a stable job to manage us.

One week after Neilson joined we signed Gordon. I hate to think who we'd have had in goal if Stendel still preferred a sweeper keeper.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Scottie Wanshot.
23 hours ago, Morgan said:

That’s what I reckoned, Scottie.

Thanks for confirming my thoughts.  👍

you might be a physic. 

professorfate

I think Stendal was a absolute disaster at Hearts had not been for covid and him not taking a wage the fans would have hounded him out of the club.