16th of May 1998. The Day The Cup Came Back To Gorgie.

maroonlegions

Would like to see the famous cream suit displayed in the Hearts museum..maybe lockie or JJ could oblige 😊

Weakened Offender

I remember leaving Celtic Park that afternoon thinking nothing would top the sight of us lifting the cup. The following day I was in amongst this and saw the bus coming round the corner and under the bridge. One of the happiest moments in my life. 

121515009_3057100031068648_4583960882206239713_n.jpg.5904d111f461dc28542c76849fdff71b.jpg

The best footballing day of my life !

Of course beating the lochenders was great, but it was that game that will never leave me till my dying day.

So much heartache and despair in the preceding years, and make no mistake, rangers had a bloody good team then.

Magnificent display by the team, as others have said the last few minutes of the game was excruciating !

When the final whistle eventually went, I 'd never felt such relief and joy in my life !

What a day, what a weekend !

I was out with my usual mates that night that included a couple of Hibs boys who'd just been relegated but there was no sour grapes. We were all in France a few weeks later for the World Cup, good times.  

Best day of my life bar none. Like others I'd seen lots of second places since my first game in 1963 so to finaly win the cup was incredible. I was driving and had my three boys with me so there wasn't any alcohol involved but all the way back along the M8 with scarves out the windows, horns blaring then back to Gorgie to see the bus arriving. Sunday was terrific too. Drove up to Edinburgh again and was in the stadium for the party. What a weekend!

53 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

I remember leaving Celtic Park that afternoon thinking nothing would top the sight of us lifting the cup. The following day I was in amongst this and saw the bus coming round the corner and under the bridge. One of the happiest moments in my life. 

121515009_3057100031068648_4583960882206239713_n.jpg.5904d111f461dc28542c76849fdff71b.jpg

It was a fantastic sight.  I’d followed the bus from Princes St and got to the corner of Gorgie and Dalry.  There was no way you were going any further.

I looked along and saw this.

To think there was already a few thousand in the ground aswell.

I’ll never forget that whole weekend. Top end stuff following Hearts. Never felt so good. 🇱🇻🏆👍🏻

davemclaren
37 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

I was out with my usual mates that night that included a couple of Hibs boys who'd just been relegated but there was no sour grapes. We were all in France a few weeks later for the World Cup, good times.  

We met up with our Hibs mate for a beer after returning from the game. Getting relegated the same season your biggest rivals win the cup must have been hard to beat but he suffered us manfully. 😎

5 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

Travelling back home that day it wasn’t until our bus went past the fire station on the Calder road and the firemen ( and possibly women) were outside doing the twirly with their scarves that began to sink in . 

Then when the team bus came past The Luckies the roar was incredible . 

Bigger win than the 1-5 for me after so many near misses . 

We drove back through maybury and it was as if the fans were cheering us. Wonderful memories 

1 hour ago, JackLadd said:

First drink I was brought that evening was a huge glass of champagne. From a Hibbee. I remember he said mate.. I'm happy if you are happy, we are mates at the end of the day. Hate your club, love you as a friend. Drink this 

gowestjambo

Best day of my life without a doubt. Walking out past rangers supporters who were saying well done! (To them it was just another Cup Final). to us what a celebration that night, and the next day. I have never seen so many Hearts supporters, every one with a smile as wide as the Forth! I lost my voice for 4 days, but it was worth it.

As an aside my brother and I somehow lined the street at Corstorphine, with thousands of other Hearts supporters. After a while we were beginning to think we were in the wrong place!, an old woman walked past and said "Dont worry son, they always come this way after they win the Cup!!" My wife who had dropped us off headed back up to Sighthill, and was promptly stopped by the Police at the Roundabout to let the Hearts Bus pass. She had a Grandstand view of the the Cup being paraded, while we were stuck down in Corstorphine!

ps the Sighthill bypass had not been built in 1956, so technically the old woman was right!! It did not stop the celebrations...

Spent the evening in the company of Cruikie - Jimmy Johnstone (Hearts Security Man) brought him down the bowling club. What an evening of reminiscing and celebrating. Then down to Tynecastle the following day

4 hours ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Aye it was a brilliant weekend and the weather was fantastic as well. 

Thank god I took the Monday and Tuesday off. 

Got to the stage I thought it would never happen after so many heartaches. 

Ha ! I thought Monday would do it also.

Took the Tues.

1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

We met up with our Hibs mate for a beer after returning from the game. Getting relegated the same season your biggest rivals win the cup must have been hard to beat but he suffered us manfully. 😎

Aye. I think I even got a hhgh out of one walking back along Gorgie road. I seem to recall the then Robertson's Bar had a shut in party going.    

Psychedelicropcircle

Best day being a jambo! The elation when that final whistle went, couldn’t even get pished that night..managed fine on the Sunday mind🍻

5-1 not even close as I expected that result!

scott herbertson
4 hours ago, 1902hewat said:

Spent the evening in the company of Cruikie - Jimmy Johnstone (Hearts Security Man) brought him down the bowling club. What an evening of reminiscing and celebrating. Then down to Tynecastle the following day

Had he watched the match then? Nice to think of him seeing us win it

Maple Leaf

It was the last game that my dad and I watched together ... and we both knew that it would be ... so it's a very nostalgic memory for me.  Fantastic occasion though.

The 5-1 final is my personal favourite. :toasting:

Worthing Jambo
5 hours ago, 1902hewat said:

I thought Jimmy might have brought him into his local?

A hell of a party was going on in there.🥳🥳🥳

7 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

Just look at that!  I got the video around two months later and my heart was in my mouth for the last 10 minutes.

As a Jambo, it just meant everything to me.  My only regret is that we didn't take pretty clear chances after our 2nd goal to thrash them.

been here before

Was a no bad day. Better than 2012 but not as good as winning the Tennents 6s in 1985.

Unknown user
1 minute ago, been here before said:

Was a no bad day. Better than 2012 but not as good as winning the Tennents 6s in 1985.

I'd never seen a Hearts player with a trophy, it sounds daft now but it meant the world to me at 10

Worthing Jambo
10 minutes ago, been here before said:

To be fair, that night at Ingliston wasn’t bad 🥳

1998 was the pinnacle though.

Winning the league would top it but I don’t think the mindset required is there.

davemclaren
49 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

It was the last game that my dad and I watched together ... and we both knew that it would be ... so it's a very nostalgic memory for me.  Fantastic occasion though.

Lovely story Ron. Your dad must have been so pleased to see a trophy winning Hearts team again. 

Dagger Is Back
1 hour ago, Maple Leaf said:

That’s a sad but lovely story Ron. 

Maple Leaf
3 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Lovely story Ron. Your dad must have been so pleased to see a trophy winning Hearts team again. 

2 hours ago, Dagger Is Back said:

That’s a sad but lovely story Ron. 

Thanks guys.  It was certainly a day of mixed emotions, but it was great that my dad went out on a high.  He was the most die-hard Hearts supporter I've ever met.

Fxxx the SPFL
On 16/05/2021 at 11:53, davemclaren said:

I was 41 and had never seen Hearts win a major trophy. One of the best days of my life. 

i was 41 as well Dave 11 days after my birthday had seen lose in all finals from 1968 until then definitely the best day of my life along with the wife, son 13, daughter 15 couldn't have asked for any more. 

I was only 7 and still can remember that weekend like it was yesterday. I never got a ticket for the game in fact my dad only got a ticket the day before the game. I always remember getting up on the Saturday morning and begging my dad to take me he left the stair and I followed him as far as I could greeting because I wasn't going. My mum took me and my sister to the Zoo ( it was a roasting day ) got back to the flat and the game had 20 minutes to go. It was brilliant I can't remember my dad coming back on the Saturday night but the Sunday morning I woke up and he had me a maroon and white flag from the game in my bedroom. We were up early on the Sunday morning and right up to the city chambers stood for an age waiting on the players coming after that it was right back in the car and along into gorgie we stood at the ardmilin I was on his shoulders watching the bus come past will never forget it that weekend was a special weekend. 

wentworth jambo

I had just turned 29 and recently moved down south...came back up for the game. Knew pretty soon after the final whistle it would never be topped - I don't think even winning the League will top the feeling of release that day of all the nearly moments. Interesting sidenote, I met my now wife a week or so before the final and left her down south to return for the weekend. Last year for my birthday, she got me an engraved bracelet that just says "May 1998 - Love always"....not had the courage yet to tell her of the double meaning !!

davemclaren
4 minutes ago, wentworth jambo said:

I had just turned 29 and recently moved down south...came back up for the game. Knew pretty soon after the final whistle it would never be topped - I don't think even winning the League will top the feeling of release that day of all the nearly moments. Interesting sidenote, I met my now wife a week or so before the final and left her down south to return for the weekend. Last year for my birthday, she got me an engraved bracelet that just says "May 1998 - Love always"....not had the courage yet to tell her of the double meaning !!

👍👍

Robbo-Jambo

The unbelievable feeling and sheer relief of that final whistle being blown will never be beaten i dont think.

So many disappointments in the past had left me feeling it would just never happen.

It did though 😁 What a weekend in the sun that was 😎

23 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

No sign of anyone fighting with each other , smashing glass bottles of each other's heads taking a crap  in the faces of your K/O mates or any fireworks blowing off any hands 😛 That's how its done in this pictures above.

Theres a poll on bbc website for best ever cup final -think the hibbys are voting big style cos 2016 is ahead. We need to get on to this.

1 minute ago, bigdav said:

Theres a poll on bbc website for best ever cup final -think the hibbys are voting big style cos 2016 is ahead. We need to get on to this.

Just realised they only have one to vote for- we have 3 so our vote is split.

John Findlay
20 hours ago, scott herbertson said:

Had he watched the match then? Nice to think of him seeing us win it

My thoughts too.

Greenbank2

Mike Aitken's report in the Scotsman on the Monday morning started "May 16th 1998. The day that God looked down from heaven, put his hand on the forehead of every wretched soul who had the misfortune to be born a Hearts supporter and said, 'this one's for you'".

Summed it up perfectly. Nothing in my footballing supporting life will surpass it.

The Sunday Mail had a brilliant comment on Rino Gatusso (who had been giving a lesson in midfield skills from Colin Cameron) : an ugly man playing ugly football. 

I'll never forget that. 

No Idle Talk

The biggest rollercoaster of emotions in my life. It was the first trophy I ever seen Hearts win and I wept with joy at the final whistle. Just one problem. I wasn't there. To this day it is the biggest regret of my life. And I don't say that lightly. Every time I watch the goals from that match I cry. Part happiness and part broken heart.

Sorry if I shared too much.

HHGH

davemclaren

I’ve watched the match a few times since then and what strikes me is the number of fouls that Rangers get away with - especially from Gattuso. 

On 16/05/2021 at 15:51, bairdy said:

The best footballing day of my life !

Of course beating the lochenders was great, but it was that game that will never leave me till my dying day.

So much heartache and despair in the preceding years, and make no mistake, rangers had a bloody good team then.

Magnificent display by the team, as others have said the last few minutes of the game was excruciating !

When the final whistle eventually went, I 'd never felt such relief and joy in my life !

What a day, what a weekend !

No day will top that. ❤️

Maroon Sailor
20 minutes ago, Marvin said:

No day will top that. ❤️

Winning the league at Easter Road would 🤣

29 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Winning the league at Easter Road would 🤣

Absolutely 😂

11 hours ago, No Idle Talk said:

The biggest rollercoaster of emotions in my life. It was the first trophy I ever seen Hearts win and I wept with joy at the final whistle. Just one problem. I wasn't there. To this day it is the biggest regret of my life. And I don't say that lightly. Every time I watch the goals from that match I cry. Part happiness and part broken heart.

HHGH

Me too.  Watched in the Tynecastle Arms and in tears at the end.  Standing outside in the throng waiting for the Hearts bus, there was a bloke who had his girl, a decent looking bird, on his shoulders and every so often she would lift up her top to display her breasts, to great cheers from the fans.  

Funny the things you remember.

No Idle Talk
2 hours ago, chrystaf said:

Me too.  Watched in the Tynecastle Arms and in tears at the end.  Standing outside in the throng waiting for the Hearts bus, there was a bloke who had his girl, a decent looking bird, on his shoulders and every so often she would lift up her top to display her breasts, to great cheers from the fans.  

Funny the things you remember.

A sad story with a happy ending then. 😄

What a day. Best day ever apart from my kids being born.

Went through on the train with my Dad and a few guys from the Sherry Ferry. Weather was glorious. Just had a feeling that morning that things were gonna be different from every other final ... I was actually confident.

15 hours ago, No Idle Talk said:

HHGH

My mate was the same. A year earlier a workmate of his booked his stag weekend in Dublin that very weekend.  

He felt obliged to go. All booked up for months and he had a strong friendship with the guy.  He jumped in the Liffey River starkers while singing the Hearts song. He was well oiled and overcome with emotion wishing he was back home 😒 😁 

He was briefly lifted by the local police but kindly given a chance to chuck his clothes back on and carry on with his day...🇱🇻🏆