16th of May 1998. The Day The Cup Came Back To Gorgie.

maroonlegions

maroonlegions

From our Adam himself below.

Never forget that day.  FTH.

"23 years ago today, we won the Scottish cup against the late rangers football club (RIP).
Memories !!
Happy 16th of May Jambos !!"
✌️☝️💪🇱🇻🏆😁

maroonlegions
2 minutes ago, Fraggle said:

Title needs amended. 

Why??

Edited by maroonlegions

• davemclaren changed the title to 16th of May 1998. The Day The Cup Came Back To Gorgie.
maroonlegions
2 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

Fake images....the year is wrong 

:kirk:

The 1998 Scottish Cup Final was played on 16 May 1998 at Celtic Park in Glasgow and was the final of the 113th Scottish Cup. Heart of Midlothian and Rangers contested the match which Hearts won 2–1, thanks to Colin Cameron's early penalty and Stephane Adam's goal.

Stephane is bound to get orc correspondence for that. 😄

Ever looked back at a long, ardous period of time in your life and felt that there's a part of you that's been left behind and is still there?

That last 9 minutes was excruciating.

Class of 75

I remember standing there with my dad and couldn't believe what had just happened. Looking back I realise now what it meant after those years of nearly getting there. Great day and great result. 

Der Kaiser
19 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

The 1998 Scottish Cup Final was played on 16 May 1998 at Celtic Park in Glasgow and was the final of the 113th Scottish Cup. Heart of Midlothian and Rangers contested the match which Hearts won 2–1, thanks to Colin Cameron's early penalty and Stephane Adam's goal.

Tennents Lager is made by Tennents

(I'm not totally sure what we're doing but it's fun and I like it!)

peebles jambo

Me and my mate were greeting like bairns at the final whistle, was greatest day of my Hearts supporting life so far, only surpassed by the 5-1 final

56 minutes ago, martoon said:

Stephane is bound to get orc correspondence for that. 😄

Ever looked back at a long, ardous period of time in your life and felt that there's a part of you that's been left behind and is still there?

That last 9 minutes was excruciating.

This. Had no doubt they were going to equalise and then win in extra time. Because that's what happened to Hearts.... Still can't believe the final whistle. Must have drunk about 12 pints that night and was as sober as a judge. Drove back to borders on Sunday through lauder and there was a huge sign.. "Jim jefferies... Luader legend" 

4 minutes ago, David Black said:

Greatest day of my life. 

I'll be honest. I prefer 19th.this game was so surreal. Emotions didn't kick in until days after

SectionDJambo

For those of us who had endured the disappointments of the 60s onwards, this was a day we thought would never come. All of those kicks in the teeth we endured melted away and, at last, we saw maroon and white ribbons on the cup.

Hearts were the last club to take the original cup back home. From 1999 on wards a replica trophy is swapped for it and the original kept at Hampden.

15 minutes ago, LeftBack said:

This. Had no doubt they were going to equalise and then win in extra time. Because that's what happened to Hearts.... Still can't believe the final whistle. Must have drunk about 12 pints that night and was as sober as a judge. Drove back to borders on Sunday through lauder and there was a huge sign.. "Jim jefferies... Luader legend" 

Aye.

I'd already started to consider our chances in extra time/penalties.

Thank goodness those lads on the pitch had more of a backbone than me.

Thirteen of them, btw. Willie Young and his linesman deserve praise for holding their nerve and, quite rightly, ignoring McCoist/Smith's cries of "PENALTYYYYYYYY".

Only doing their job, of course, but many of their colleagues have failed to do so. 

Before and since.

Edit: I agree with you about 2012. 

Edited by martoon

David Black
3 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

For those of us who had endured the disappointments of the 60s onwards, this was a day we thought would never come. All of those kicks in the teeth we endured melted away and, at last, we saw maroon and white ribbons on the cup.

Hearts were the last club to take the original cup back home. From 1999 on wards a replica trophy is swapped for it and the original kept at Hampden.

I didn't know that. Thanks.

stevie1874

Best day as a Hearts supporter for me.  What a time,  sun belted down all weekend Saturday night chaos, Sunday afternoon sat on the grass drinking in the sun at the old Gillsland Hotel. Bliss 🍺🍺

Салатные палочки
50 minutes ago, R1874 said:

Why was there so little maroon in stands? 

That's a good point. I've thought about that before. I remember seeing plenty of maroon but I have it in my head that everyone had an away shirt on. I certainly did. My dad had a maroon polo shirt and my mum had a white Olympic training shirt  thing. 

It was absolutely scorching from early doors that day so maybe people reconsidered their clothing choice. 

2 minutes ago, stevie1874 said:

Best day as a Hearts supporter for me.  What a time,  sun belted down all weekend Saturday night chaos, Sunday afternoon sat on the grass drinking in the sun at the old Gillsland Hotel. Bliss 🍺🍺

I milked that weekend for all it was worth.

One of the last to leave Tynecastle after the players arrived on the Saturday evening, the parade from Haymarket the next day and kept it going all through the Monday, too. 

The liver was nipping a bit but what a few days it was.

2 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

That's a good point. I've thought about that before. I remember seeing plenty of maroon but I have it in my head that everyone had an away shirt on. I certainly did. My dad had a maroon polo shirt and my mum had a white Olympic training shirt  thing. 

It was absolutely scorching from early doors that day so maybe people reconsidered their clothing choice. 

I was naked.

Rocky jamboa

The best day ever for me that will never be surpassed. Not even the 5-1 beat it for me. Years of thinking we'd never win anything and beating a good rangers team. Probably depends on your age as to which game holds most significance but for guys 40+ like myself, I'm sure it would be this one. That last 9 minutes felt like a lifetime! 

Turkishcap

On the Monday morning I was giving it large with my forklift horn, at the Gyle pleased to say from afar it was reciprocated.

Maroon Sailor
3 minutes ago, Paulp74 said:

The best day ever for me that will never be surpassed. Not even the 5-1 beat it for me. Years of thinking we'd never win anything and beating a good rangers team. Probably depends on your age as to which game holds most significance but for guys 40+ like myself, I'm sure it would be this one. That last 9 minutes felt like a lifetime! 

First trophy in my time as a Hearts supporters so will always be the best feeling

The many bridesmaid moments before this made it even more special. Stunned really that Hearts had actually won something 

Edited by Maroon Sailor

1 hour ago, Harry Potter said:

Was in tears at midnight, what a day, never forget the joy of winning the cup.

Even better than 19/5/12. HHGH 

3 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

First trophy in my time as a Hearts supporters so will always be the best feeling

Absolutely. Still remember like it was yesterday. 

Maroon Sailor
Just now, Marvin said:

Absolutely. Still remember like it was yesterday. 

Still get nervous watching it when they got one back then Ally went for his usual plunge in the box

1 minute ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Still get nervous watching it when they got one back then Ally went for his usual plunge in the box

It's the added on time. Where the feck did that come from. I have to make a cuppa during, just in case. When I get back to my seat, we're still playing. 

I've only vague memories of this day, but it still resonates. I wasn't at the game either, but seeing my Dad and Uncle, even at such a young age, drilled it all home to me.

If I could go back and relive that day as I am now, I'd cherish every minute of it.

3fingersreid

Travelling back home that day it wasn’t until our bus went past the fire station on the Calder road and the firemen ( and possibly women) were outside doing the twirly with their scarves that began to sink in . 

Then when the team bus came past The Luckies the roar was incredible . 

Bigger win than the 1-5 for me after so many near misses . 

Rocky jamboa
22 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

The many bridesmaid moments before this made it even more special. Stunned really that Hearts had actually won something 

Yip. The lows make the highs even better! 😁

There’s been alot supporting Hearts but I doubt there’s been a more emotionally charged/draining day than that since.

While smacking Hibs was legendary and now safely stored in our prestigious history to call upon, I’ve resigned myself to admitting 1998 beats it significantly, all things considered.  

Harry Potter
35 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Even better than 19/5/12. HHGH 

Was the feeling of pure relief, getting over the line at last, wee ally going down 

in the box gave me the fear .

1 hour ago, peebles jambo said:

Me and my mate were greeting like bairns at the final whistle, was greatest day of my Hearts supporting life so far, only surpassed by the 5-1 final

Likewise. I’ve cried twice watching Hearts. 
Not at Dens in 86

When we lost to Rangers 4-3. I just thought “It’s never gonna happen”

Then it did.

Funny, watching Leicester yesterday reminded me of it.

I felt physically sick for the last 10 mins.

If Rangers had scored, like Chelsea did I’d have had a heart attack before VAR disallowed it (Like that would happen up here)

Best weekend of my life as a football fan. Usurping West Ham beating Arsenal in 1980

davemclaren
17 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

There’s been alot supporting Hearts but I doubt there’s been a more emotionally charged/draining day than that since.

While smacking Hibs was legendary and now safely stored in our prestigious history to call upon, I’ve resigned myself to admitting 1998 beats it significantly, all things considered.  

I think we would have to win the league title to top it. I’m not living long enough for that though I would hazard. 

Robbo-Jambo
2 hours ago, Boab said:

Sunday was a decent day also. 
Buckled !

Aye it was a brilliant weekend and the weather was fantastic as well. 

Thank god I took the Monday and Tuesday off. 

Got to the stage I thought it would never happen after so many heartaches. 

40 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I think we would have to win the league title to top it. I’m not living long enough for that though I would hazard. 

Who knows, mate?  We’ve been closer than most over the years (albeit rare) and we have a habit of springing from nowhere with an unexpected challenge. 

Keep believing 👍🏻😁

Auld Reekin'
2 hours ago, stevie1874 said:

:sweeet:

Exactly the same for me, right down to drinking at the Gilly on the Sunday afternoon!  :thumbsup: 🍻 

From what I remember there were long and slow queues (at least 15-20 minutes until you made it to the bar and got served) which was in danger of putting a dampener on things. Luckily, we then discovered that, somewhere around the back of the hotel, there was another wee bar where all the regulars had taken refuge and that you could get served there much quicker. Which was nice...

A fantastic game, performance, and result, and a great weekend altogether. The current squad and management team should be made to watch the game in its entirety, along with the build-up and aftermath, as well as Neil Pointon's video of the parade and the other videos and TV footage of that. It might make them realise what it means to be at Hearts, what they should be aspiring to, and the heroes they could become if they emulated that achievement.