Ginnelly

Kiwidoug

airdriejambo3

I'm not confident Neilson can get this over the line although he should have been breaking his back to get Gallagher signed but he is just another in a long line that thought other teams are a better option than us. Its shouldn't be a hard sell would you like to live in the central belt and possibly win trophies or stay in Aberdeen and nearly win trophies. I'm just waiting on us being gazumped on Ginnelly.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kiwidoug

• colinmaroon

• jambonian

• Famous 1874

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

jambonian
6 minutes ago, airdriejambo3 said:

I'm not confident Neilson can get this over the line although he should have been breaking his back to get Gallagher signed but he is just another in a long line that thought other teams are a better option than us. Its shouldn't be a hard sell would you like to live in the central belt and possibly win trophies or stay in Aberdeen and nearly win trophies. I'm just waiting on us being gazumped on Ginnelly.

Not really that fussed over Gallagher. Jimmy Dunne would be the best option available i'd think but far too ambitious for us. A player who's the perfect replacement for Berra, left-sided, 23 and solid. Not really our cup of tea these days.

Ginelly i'm confident we'll get signed up as he says he wants to stay which is the trump card. If he was looking around at other clubs then chances are he'd not have come out in the media and bummed Hearts up. He seems to love being here and if a player is happy then life's a lot easier regarding contracts.

Hungry hippo
12 minutes ago, airdriejambo3 said:

Not ITK but I'd bet that we get Ginnelly. 

Gallagher is a very different situation. He will be commanding a very high wage in comparison to his ability based on his recent Scotland performances. I'd have been happy if we had got him but whether he would be the best option for a very sizeable salary would be debatable.

My source tells me the talks at the Giro are well advanced but have stalled a bit as he can't understand a word they are saying.

1 hour ago, airdriejambo3 said:

Surely wait and see who we bring in first mate. As someone on another thread said we got GMS while Aberdeen were interested so it’s not all doom and gloom. 

2 hours ago, jambonian said:

Not really that fussed over Gallagher. Jimmy Dunne would be the best option available i'd think but far too ambitious for us. A player who's the perfect replacement for Berra, left-sided, 23 and solid. Not really our cup of tea these days.

Ginelly i'm confident we'll get signed up as he says he wants to stay which is the trump card. If he was looking around at other clubs then chances are he'd not have come out in the media and bummed Hearts up. He seems to love being here and if a player is happy then life's a lot easier regarding contracts.

Lack of ambition is the problem here. 

Riccarton3
7 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

Genuine pace, proved he can finish(but equally miss some good chances looking at the final) but the positives outweigh the negatives for me.  

A couple of his self created goals were excellent and it’s this type of player we’ve lacked for a while.  These players can be the difference. 

Should have buried that cutback from Lee. I am left with only an imagined response from the infamous BBC commentary

Guest ToqueJambo
4 hours ago, airdriejambo3 said:

I think we can do better than Gallagher. 30 years old and only really came good in the last couple of years. Stuart Findlay is probably a good benchmark for what he wants. You're right though, although we probably can't always compete with Aberdeen on wages again yet any player wanting to win (or nearly win) things has more chance of that with us than Aberdeen.

Even in the last couple of years we've come closer than them to winning something. Two close-run SC finals to their zero cup finals. And of course in the last 30 odd years we've won 3 SCs to their one LC. Can't imagine any player choosing them over us to win things - it'll usually be down to money and potential playing time.

colinmaroon

Ref ongoing transfer target:

Update on Ginnelly's movements.

After his morning coffee he had a good movement!

On 07/05/2021 at 10:10, Barack said:

Think Ginnelly will be released easily enough by PNE. Savage knows his contract in's & outs & has a relationship with him. Ginnelly has indicated he wants to stay. He wouldn't have hung around after his injury, if he wasn't arsed.

2 year deal I think. Like people have said, he offers something different. No disrespect to Henderson, but the choice of playing either him or Gino, isn't a question. 

He is out of contract at the end of the season so no need for him to be released surely?

6 minutes ago, Famous 1874 said:

Taking its time this one. Been talking to him for months.

We often seem to be involved in fairly long drawn out negotiations. Usually seem to end in our favour. 

jambonian
41 minutes ago, Famous 1874 said:

Taking its time this one. Been talking to him for months.

Most will hold back and see what wages they're offered at other clubs. Not sure we actually offer decent contracts anymore which is why we look in the bargain bins at Poundland. In fairness though, we've had our fingers burnt over the last few years with the likes of Oshaniwa, Sammon, Martin and Damour. That said, if we watched and scouted better, that would never have happened. I'd rather we had spent the cash better on beating the Aberdeens and Hibs of this world for the likes of Shinnie, Cosgrove, John McGinn, Nisbet and others. I'd rather we looked in our own market in Scotland with half an eye on something decent from England. I don't know the contracts of players at other clubs but Hearts should be the first ones in there if there's interest in a good player. I said the same when McGinn went to Fester Rd and watching the likes of Kamara at Dundee stroll it, Greg Taylor at Killie when we struggled for left-backs, both who ended up at the old firm later down the line. Liked Steven O'Donnell as well come to think of it. Always too late to the party. Right now Hearts should be all over Jamie McGrath at St Mirren, reminds me of when McGinn was with them a little bit. Stands out. There's Campbell at Motherwell, can we not put together a deal of some kind with Roberts plus cash for him? Devante Cole maybe? Seems like too much work for the folk employed to do these things for the club and makes you wonder why they're even there.

47 minutes ago, jambonian said:

Most will hold back and see what wages they're offered at other clubs. Not sure we actually offer decent contracts anymore which is why we look in the bargain bins at Poundland. In fairness though, we've had our fingers burnt over the last few years with the likes of Oshaniwa, Sammon, Martin and Damour. That said, if we watched and scouted better, that would never have happened. I'd rather we had spent the cash better on beating the Aberdeens and Hibs of this world for the likes of Shinnie, Cosgrove, John McGinn, Nisbet and others. I'd rather we looked in our own market in Scotland with half an eye on something decent from England. I don't know the contracts of players at other clubs but Hearts should be the first ones in there if there's interest in a good player. I said the same when McGinn went to Fester Rd and watching the likes of Kamara at Dundee stroll it, Greg Taylor at Killie when we struggled for left-backs, both who ended up at the old firm later down the line. Liked Steven O'Donnell as well come to think of it. Always too late to the party. Right now Hearts should be all over Jamie McGrath at St Mirren, reminds me of when McGinn was with them a little bit. Stands out. There's Campbell at Motherwell, can we not put together a deal of some kind with Roberts plus cash for him? Devante Cole maybe? Seems like too much work for the folk employed to do these things for the club and makes you wonder why they're even there.

Good post that makes one think.

Batistuta87
56 minutes ago, jambonian said:

Spot on. 

We never seem to sign the obvious safe options who have done well for other smaller teams in Scotland and who are ready to take that next step, and often we attempt some sort of out of the box thinking by signing someone with good pedigree on paper but no time in Scotland, and those guys go to Aberdeen, Hibs etc. It's about time we start snapping up these guys ourselves with Alan Campbell being a prime example of someone we should be all over. 

jambonian

Honestly, you do wonder if the club actually gives a stuff anymore. We've seen players do well at other clubs and either ignore them or assume they won't get them anyway so don't make the effort. Then they turn up elsewhere and contribute a lot to that club. You feel like turning up at the doors of Tynie or Oriam and slapping a piece of paper in their hand saying go and look at these players ffs. The players mentioned (along with Jimmy Dunne as well) are not players at the end of their careers but early in them and signing them offers us some quality as well as potential big transfers down the line. Do we want to make money or are we happy just strolling along aimlessly watching Hibs (promoted 2017, third and possible Cup Final) and Rangers (promoted 2016 and Prem Champs) while we (promoted 2015, been back in Champ and losing to Brora) just amble on with our heads in the sand. Show some balls and ambition for once Hearts. If not, we'll be signing like-for-like shite yet again.

Edited by jambonian

Are Hearts fans honestly complaining that we didn't sign Greg Taylor? The guy that moved to Celtic for a rumoured £3m and is probably on about £7 or £8k a week 🙄

Just now, andrew said:

Are Hearts fans honestly complaining that we didn't sign Greg Taylor? The guy that moved to Celtic for a rumoured £3m and is probably on about £7 or £8k a week 🙄

We had the chance to sign Greg Taylor for 85k when he wasn't near Killie first XI as a youngster. 

He was captain of Killie at u17 and u20 level and made his debut at 18/19, why would they have let him go for £85k?

Famous 1874
4 hours ago, jambonian said:

I emailed the club to sign Kamara whilst he was at Dundee😂 His talent was evident. Glad he didn’t end up at Hibs where he was rumoured to be going at one point. 

On 07/05/2021 at 10:10, Barack said:

Think Ginnelly will be released easily enough by PNE. Savage knows his contract in's & outs & has a relationship with him. Ginnelly has indicated he wants to stay. He wouldn't have hung around after his injury, if he wasn't arsed.

2 year deal I think. Like people have said, he offers something different. No disrespect to Henderson, but the choice of playing either him or Gino, isn't a question. 

Good post Barack.

As you touch on, Ginnelly on his day is a game changer, and perhaps one of the best players we have. Given the money we've spent, and faith we've put into players with much worse fitness issues, Ginnelly is one that I can't help feel is worth taking a punt on. 

6 minutes ago, Barack said:

Yep. Wasn't totally enamoured with the "keeping him around for the banter" type stuff, from Roberto. However if the deal is right for both parties, then he offers us in similar terms to what Boyle offers Hibs. Utter pace & goal threats, be it starting or off the bench. 

GMS & Gino, would on their days, be a handful for any team. And I include the OF. 

From what Ginnelly was saying on Twitter, this isn't a recurring thing either. He's apparently never had problems before. Sincerely hope that a good rest and a full pre-season should put an end to it.

Arthur Morgan
25 minutes ago, Locky said:

From what Ginnelly was saying on Twitter, this isn't a recurring thing either. He's apparently never had problems before. Sincerely hope that a good rest and a full pre-season should put an end to it.

Yeah I saw that post he made also, hopefully just bad luck. Hopefully ok now it's out the way, although we seem to have terrible luck when it comes to injuries :(

Edited by Arthur Morgan

colinmaroon
8 hours ago, Cruyff said:

We had the chance to sign Greg Taylor for 85k when he wasn't near Killie first XI as a youngster. 

They wouldn't!

sandylejambo
33 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

I love how people think Hearts are sitting about doing nothing 😂

Get them in early said Neilson, no evidence of that yet, I know we keep thing close but something usually comes out from things like twitter or whatever these things are, there are always hints that can be deciphered but not so far from Hearts.

AlimOzturk
9 minutes ago, sandylejambo said:

Get them in early said Neilson, no evidence of that yet, I know we keep thing close but something usually comes out from things like twitter or whatever these things are, there are always hints that can be deciphered but not so far from Hearts.

I mean there is early and there is early. The premier league hasn’t even finished yet and the championship is just finished as well. 

Fort Vallance
9 minutes ago, sandylejambo said:

To be fair the season isn't finished yet. A lot of teams still with a lot to play for which will decide who they keep and who goes.  OK our season is finished but that's our own fault.

SectionDJambo

There’s little doubt that our recruitment has generally been underwhelming over the last few years. Far too much emphasis on signing experienced players getting near the end of their careers, with no sell on value, but big wages.

Other clubs have managed to sign younger players who have a desire to improve themselves. I have no problem with a player who wants to play for Hearts as a means to going onto to a bigger club. He’ll only achieve that ambition if he performs for us.

The academy hasn’t been the success that the investment should have been rewarded with. We keep hearing about young players being almost ready for the first team but it hardly ever seems to actually happen. Decisions have been made to release a few young players who then go on to play well for clubs at our level.

Let’s take Doig against Hickey. We let Doig go for nothing to keep Hickey’s clear route to the first team uncomplicated, to keep him happy. Levein said we didn’t want to hold up Doig’s career. Hickey then doesn’t sign a new contract with Hearts that would provide us with a substantial transfer fee. Meanwhile Doig signs an extended contract with Hibs which may provide them with a bigger transfer fee than we got for Hickey.

We can only hope that with Levein finally being away and Joe Savage bringing a new approach and eye for players, better decisions will be made. 

Jean Louis Valois
4 hours ago, sandylejambo said:

Our season only finished last week, and most other leagues are still playing. Give them a chance.

colinmaroon
5 hours ago, Jean Louis Valois said:

Our season only finished last week, and most other leagues are still playing. Give them a chance.

And the play-offs aren't even complete for our division.

Tommy Brown
On 08/05/2021 at 16:33, Famous 1874 said:

I emailed the club to sign Kamara whilst he was at Dundee😂 His talent was evident. Glad he didn’t end up at Hibs where he was rumoured to be going at one point. 

Im sure we tried to sign Kamara.

Late in a January transfer window.

£100K was agreed, but player didnt agree.

This is memory only, may be quite wrong.

sandylejambo
10 hours ago, Jean Louis Valois said:

Remember when we could sign players on pre contract and everybody new they had signed?

15 hours ago, sandylejambo said:

:cornette_dog:

Most players will still be under contract until June at the earliest ffs.  If they're still under contract at a club, we're not exactly going to be allowed to go around announcing we've signed them, and might not even be allowed to be in proper contact with them due to the rules around "tapping up".

Give the club a bloody chance.

15 hours ago, sandylejambo said:

Jesus , the seasons have not ended. Your being unrealistic and that’s being kind

Pasquale for King
11 hours ago, Jean Louis Valois said:

Teams are signing players on pre contracts already, Hibs have with Mackay and the Sheep with Brown and Gallagher. Only the bottom three have anything to play for league wise. 

Pasquale for King
39 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Most players will still be under contract until June at the earliest ffs.  If they're still under contract at a club, we're not exactly going to be allowed to go around announcing we've signed them, and might not even be allowed to be in proper contact with them due to the rules around "tapping up".

You have heard of the pre contract and being able to speak to them since January haven’t you 🤔🤷🏾‍♂️? Other teams have signed and announced players still under contract with games to play, they can’t stop you. We did it with Stewart. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

Finlay James
16 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

There’s little doubt that our recruitment has generally been underwhelming over the last few years. Far too much emphasis on signing experienced players getting near the end of their careers, with no sell on value, but big wages.

Other clubs have managed to sign younger players who have a desire to improve themselves. I have no problem with a player who wants to play for Hearts as a means to going onto to a bigger club. He’ll only achieve that ambition if he performs for us.

The academy hasn’t been the success that the investment should have been rewarded with. We keep hearing about young players being almost ready for the first team but it hardly ever seems to actually happen. Decisions have been made to release a few young players who then go on to play well for clubs at our level.

Let’s take Doig against Hickey. We let Doig go for nothing to keep Hickey’s clear route to the first team uncomplicated, to keep him happy. Levein said we didn’t want to hold up Doig’s career. Hickey then doesn’t sign a new contract with Hearts that would provide us with a substantial transfer fee. Meanwhile Doig signs an extended contract with Hibs which may provide them with a bigger transfer fee than we got for Hickey.

We can only hope that with Levein finally being away and Joe Savage bringing a new approach and eye for players, better decisions will be made. 

Youre all over the place here.  Comparing Doig to Hickey is like comparing One Direction with The Rolling Stones.  Doig has signed a new contract because Hibs are the biggest club he'll ever play for whereas Hickey, a player that we nurtured, now plays regularly in Serie A.  This isn't a stick to beat the club with.

bobskeldon
48 minutes ago, Finlay James said:

Youre all over the place here.  Comparing Doig to Hickey is like comparing One Direction with The Rolling Stones.  Doig has signed a new contract because Hibs are the biggest club he'll ever play for whereas Hickey, a player that we nurtured, now plays regularly in Serie A.  This isn't a stick to beat the club with.

Doig will play at a higher level than Hibs. 

Arthur Morgan
10 minutes ago, bobskeldon said:

Doig will play at a higher level than Hibs. 

I agree. Absolutely ridiculous we let him go, even if Hickey was/is better, there should still have been a development path for Doig at Hearts imo.

Leveins Battalion
5 minutes ago, Arthur Morgan said:

I agree. Absolutely ridiculous we let him go, even if Hickey was/is better, there should still have been a development path for Doig at Hearts imo.

It's not like this decision is in isolation though,so many acts of incompetance throughout the club at all departments that it purely can't be just down to poor performing employees?:sadrobbo:

A more suspicious person would look beyond that :callme:

I suppose hearts recruitment policy will have to be amended now to ensure that telling the future is an essential attribute for our recruitment staff. How many youth players get released by clubs each season by every club only to find another club before making it “big” with lesser teams like hibs? Hundreds I’ll bet. If everything about hearts makes you so angry why do you “support” hearts? We have never been team of home grown superstars on a regular basis. We have rarely been  bankers for top 3 every season and we will probably be good,  bad, great or brilliant most seasons for at least a few games. That is Hearts! This last season in the Championship looks worse if people continue to compare us with Premiership clubs. You might as well compare Edinburgh City to us for all the relevance that performances in different leagues has. Let things play out between now and the end of next season before making a judgement, All I am saying is give peas a chance😏

Famous 1874
11 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Im sure we tried to sign Kamara.

Late in a January transfer window.

£100K was agreed, but player didnt agree.

This is memory only, may be quite wrong.

Had a quick google search and couldn’t see anything, but you could still be correct 

Famous 1874
2 hours ago, Finlay James said:

Doig is very good. Will play for far bigger and better teams than Hibs I’m sure. 

9 hours ago, tian447 said:

Most contracts end on 31 May and if the player is not staying with that club then they can speak with any other club from January before their contract ends.

I am not suggesting that we should have loads of signings at this stage but I would have thought and hope that Savage has already been sounding out his targets ready to show to Robbie.

SectionDJambo
3 hours ago, Finlay James said:

I'm not suggesting that Doig is of the calibre of Hickey. I'm only questioning the decision making that has been going on over the last few years as regards player recruitment and retention. Levein said he thought that Doig was a very good prospect and a good lad to have around, but he didn't want to hold him back by being behind Hickey. He then said that he reckoned Hickey's future position would be as a holding midfielder due to his talent of quick thinking and ability in tight spaces. So why let another young left back go if he's thinking Hickey won't be a full back in Hearts' plans much longer?

Hickey wouldn't be the first young Scottish prospect who showed great promise but then didn't develop as hoped. The same goes for Doig, but in my view he shouldn't have been released so early when he was thought so highly of by Hearts. 

We're not exactly flooding the first team with good young players, and therefore not getting much return for the big investment in producing them. 

On 07/05/2021 at 10:28, colinmaroon said:

He's a free agent come the end of the season.

Every Hearts supporter knows that.

It was a joke aimed at the doom merchants - the ones who are determined to moan about anything and everything.  

bobskeldon
5 hours ago, Arthur Morgan said:

I am not sure if Hickey is better than Doig, in the few times I have seen Doig, think he looks more dangerous going forward than Hickey did. Both very talented.