2021 Scottish Parliament Election (Thursday 6th May 2021)

12 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Yep, especially with a pro-business Tory government.  They won't throw away billions worth of business for their constituents and supporters.

They predicted that about the trade agreement with the EU, but that was approved by Parliament with a comfortable majority.  No difference here.  The scale of trade is a bit smaller, but still important enough to make sure to cut a deal.

So you are basing an iScotland on the pro business ethics of a Conservative party led govt at Westminster?

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• sadj

• ri Alban

• Smithee

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 hours ago, frankblack said:

Yeah, that will work.

Remember that Scotland needs tarriff free access to the UK infrastructure - roads, rail etc to export/import the majority of its goods to the continent.

The UK is obliged to provide that access under international law.  If the UK blocks, inhibits or delays that access for any country, it is in breach of an international convention.  If it blocks, inhibits or delays access to or from the EU market, it is in breach of its trade agreement with the EU, in which case the EU can retaliate by blocking UK road transit into and through the EU, and by imposing tariffs.

14 hours ago, frankblack said:

Road and rail is a far more effective means of delivering goods to the rest of the UK and the continent.  I'm not expert on the logistical reasons but the haulage companies seem to prefer it.

Road and rail are quicker, it is that simple, and road is the most accessible mode of all.  That's why road transit rules are so important.  There are international conventions on all sorts of transport, but road is the most significant one.  In fact, the road convention is so broad that it is applied to rail, sea and inland waterway movements of a shipment as long as the goods spend some time on the road.

2 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

So you are basing an iScotland on the pro business ethics of a Conservative party led govt at Westminster?

A sensible person should never start a question with the word "so".

Either make a statement or ask a proper question - and stop jumping to conclusions.

1 minute ago, Ulysses said:

A sensible person should never start a question with the word "so".

Either make a statement or ask a proper question - and stop jumping to conclusions.

So you are the expert nowadays. I am looking forward to your pronunciations. 

11 hours ago, scott herbertson said:

I think it's relevant to consider the medium to long term as well as the immediate future. It's a pity governments (UK and Scottish) have not done so more in my opinion.

It is surely also relevant to consider just why we have a balance of trades deficit and huge debt in the UK if its so wonderful to be part of it? And why we should stay in such an ineffective organisation? The argument that we are in too much debt to leave is an odd one - as if it is some sort of gambling debt with Boris as the 'Tallyman'

France has a consistent trade deficit but it's a nice country to live in and has a high standard of living.  The United States runs a constant trade deficit and remains a powerful and wealthy country.  In the first decade of this century Canada ran regular trade surpluses.  More recently it has run regular trade deficits, but I don't think Canada has worsened as a place to live and do business in  It's not everything.

Just now, Ulysses said:

France has a consistent trade deficit but it's a nice country to live in and has a high standard of living.  The United States runs a constant trade deficit and remains a powerful and wealthy country.  In the first decade of this century Canada ran regular trade surpluses.  More recently it has run regular trade deficits, but I don't think Canada has worsened as a place to live and do business in  It's not everything.

You are the expert nowadays. That is what I said @Ulysses

6 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

So you are the expert nowadays. I am looking forward to your pronunciations. 

A lot of people like my accent, but I'm quite sure you haven't heard it.  ;) :whistling:

Just now, Zlatanable said:

Accents aren't important.

Ideas and facts are.

And you are the expert now. 

If accents aren't important, why do you look forward to my pronunciations?

1 minute ago, Ulysses said:

If accents aren't important, why do you look forward to my pronunciations?

You @Ulysses make pronouncements of such significant importance, I genuinely believe the world ought to stop and listen. 

Almost every time. 

1 minute ago, Zlatanable said:

You @Ulysses make pronouncements of such significant importance, I genuinely believe the world ought to stop and listen. 

Almost every time. 

Yaaay, you got it right this time. 

Anyway, back on topic, there's a good lad.

2 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Yaaay, you got it right this time. 

Anyway, back on topic, there's a good lad.

42 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Yep, especially with a pro-business Tory government.  They won't throw away billions worth of business for their constituents and supporters.

They predicted that about the trade agreement with the EU, but that was approved by Parliament with a comfortable majority.  No difference here.  The scale of trade is a bit smaller, but still important enough to make sure to cut a deal.

25 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

The UK is obliged to provide that access under international law.  If the UK blocks, inhibits or delays that access for any country, it is in breach of an international convention.  If it blocks, inhibits or delays access to or from the EU market, it is in breach of its trade agreement with the EU, in which case the EU can retaliate by blocking UK road transit into and through the EU, and by imposing tariffs.

Road and rail are quicker, it is that simple, and road is the most accessible mode of all.  That's why road transit rules are so important.  There are international conventions on all sorts of transport, but road is the most significant one.  In fact, the road convention is so broad that it is applied to rail, sea and inland waterway movements of a shipment as long as the goods spend some time on the road.

If you @Ulysses could ever actually stay on the point of a thread.

8 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

It doesn't even make sense. 

It was a Scottish election, all parties were Scottish.

Does the saltire belong to the SNP?

Saltire, Scottish Independence. 

Onion John, English Empire. 

Quite simple, really. 

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Quite simple, really. 

What complete and utter drivel.

Scots were actively involved in every shady part of the British empire, notably the slave trade, where you will find a number of your Glasgow city centre streets named after slave traders.

SectionDJambo
4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Quite simple, really. 

Would you insist, as part of the independence protocols, that the Saltire be taken out of the Union flag? Think of all the flags that Boris would need to buy to replace the never ending number that him and his chums appear on tv with these days. It could be a bargaining chip to keep down Scotland's share of the inherited deficit. We save Boris money by not having to design a new flag, and we don't have as much debt at the start of our new adventure.

18 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

Would you insist, as part of the independence protocols, that the Saltire be taken out of the Union flag? Think of all the flags that Boris would need to buy to replace the never ending number that him and his chums appear on tv with these days. It could be a bargaining chip to keep down Scotland's share of the inherited deficit. We save Boris money by not having to design a new flag, and we don't have as much debt at the start of our new adventure.

The cross of St Patrick is still in the Union flag.

SectionDJambo
1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

The cross of St Patrick is still in the Union flag.

Yes.

I was just curious as to how far things could go if Scotland and Wales ever got independence. People tend to get worked up about flags and the UK politicians seem to have taken on the American habit of having the nation’s flag on multiple display at any press briefings or meetings with prominent officials from overseas.

The blue of the Saltire is very prominent on the Union flag.

3 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

Yes.

I was just curious as to how far things could go if Scotland and Wales ever got independence. People tend to get worked up about flags and the UK politicians seem to have taken on the American habit of having the nation’s flag on multiple display at any press briefings or meetings with prominent officials from overseas.

The blue of the Saltire is very prominent on the Union flag.

I would imagine that if Scotland gains independence from the rest of the UK then the union flag would be totally redundant, as two of the nations represented in the flag, were no longer part of it.

Ainsley Harriott

Intresting to see Sturgeon condemn the home office for removing illegal immigrants. I'm guessing an independent scotland will have no immigration controls? 

manaliveits105
1 hour ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Intresting to see Sturgeon condemn the home office for removing illegal immigrants. I'm guessing an independent scotland will have no immigration controls? 

Was it her house - she did offer 

Space Mackerel
2 hours ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

image.png.e321a7f799d8eec5dd9f5df95dd19763.png

Space Mackerel

Cant see the relevance. What's the sweedish bombshell upto tonight?

Did you see John Curtis tear a new one in that daft Tory last night? 

BarneyBattles
4 hours ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Home office vans with blacked out windows arrive to take some scared folk to god knows where and you see it as an ideal opportunity to criticise Sturgeon😂

Space Mackerel
1 hour ago, BarneyBattles said:

Home office vans with blacked out windows arrive to take some scared folk to god knows where and you see it as an ideal opportunity to criticise Sturgeon😂

image.jpeg

Ainsley Harriott
1 hour ago, BarneyBattles said:

Amazing how quickly wee Nazi Nic will condemn when any organisation using the words UK in their title. Are you against controlled immigration?

Ainsley Harriott
5 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

image.jpeg

You still didn't tell me how your sweedish bird is getting on?

Edited by Ainsley Harriott
Space Mackerel
2 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

You still didn't tell me how your sweedish bird is getting on?

She’s fine pal. She leans to the left a wee bit too so you’ve nae chance. 

Ainsley Harriott
Just now, Space Mackerel said:

She’s fine pal. She leans to the left a wee bit too so you’ve nae chance. 

Sounds right it's all £15 pints, ABBA and universal income over there 

Space Mackerel
Just now, Ainsley Harriott said:

Sounds right it's all £15 pints, ABBA and universal income over there 

It’s not really. That’s Norway you’re thinking of. And city centre prices at that. 

A bottle of quality malt whisky is about £8 more in their offishul offys. 

Space Mackerel
29 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Tell you what that Kate Forbes is ****ing bam. Jumping about shouting with eyes popping our her wee heid on question time.

Tell you what, you lost, get over it.☺️🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Nandy and Buckland on the ropes dodging the TKO. 

0E99CC8F-802C-4E66-9B79-B96E88F6540A.jpeg

Swahili Jambo

Tell you what that Kate Forbes is ****ing bam. Jumping about shouting with eyes popping our her wee heid on question time.

You must have been watching a different programme than me.  She was calm, collected erudite and batted everything away that came her way.  Anyway, get used to her, she will be holding the reins of Scotland after wee Nick passes the baton.  Glorious times for Scotland.

Space Mackerel
52 minutes ago, Swahili Jambo said:

You must have been watching a different programme than me.  She was calm, collected erudite and batted everything away that came her way.  Anyway, get used to her, she will be holding the reins of Scotland after wee Nick passes the baton.  Glorious times for Scotland.

The only eyes popping out their heeds were the Scotch Unionist ‘we are the peeple’ 🇬🇧 🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧 after the election.

48D2D962-1B58-414F-A9A9-F52E88266C3D.jpeg

Swahili Jambo
1 hour ago, Space Mackerel said:

By election, SNP hold. 😊🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

More like a landslide in Labour's (ex) heartland.  Anyway tick tock.  Alba Gu Brath.

Ainsley Harriott
8 hours ago, Swahili Jambo said:

We are not a cult, repeat after me we are not a cult 

Jeffros Furios
8 hours ago, Swahili Jambo said:

Away to fuxk she's a funking idiot , slavering shite about allowing paedos and rapists the right to vote .

Also Scots working away from home for a few years dont get a vote yet refugees do ? 

I hate the SNP as much as I hate all the others , lying cheating incompetent tramps! 

Rant over (well maybe not)