Random times you've bumped into players

mscjambo

Met Sandy Clark in the check in area at Edinburgh Airport. He was flying out to do BBC commentary in Barcelona for a Celtic euro tie. Very pleasant, happy to talk and get a photo with him. Absolute gentleman.

Said "alright" to Alan McInally at Schiphol airport.  "Alright big man" was the reply as we passed.

Was doing a bit of teaching at an MBA residential at Dalmahoy, was outside having a smoke. Dundee It's team bus arrives. There is Rudi. Wee chat and photo, but he got the goalie to take it so it would be good. A 5-1 pose, naturally. What a gent.

Edited by Boris

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Deodato

• Morgan

• Stu_HMFC

• Tazio

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 12/04/2021 at 22:22, Finlay James said:

I met Chris Sutton at Stansted airport.  We had both had our luggage lost following the flight down from Glasgow so being the last two at the carousel and wondering what was happening, we go chatting and decided to go to the information desk together to complain.  He went nuts at the airport staff 😂

He spotted my Hearts tattoo and he was very complimentary about the club but felt his brother was treated like shit by JJ.  Top, top bloke, nothing at all like he comes across on TV.

Wasn't JJ sacked after 1 game that season and Sutton was signed a month before? 😳

Met Callum Paterson at the posh burger van at Hermiston Gait B&Q, pre-match, just asked him if he was playing, which he was.  Think it was probably not too long after he broke into the team, and had become a first choice pick. 

My dad met Stephane Adam smoking in Makro a few years ago. 

Saw Allan McGregor a few times spewing outside a certain "bar" in a certain triangle in the Grassmarket. We got chucked out one time for giving him dogs abuse inside, he couldn't see or stand but was still a bit of a knob. 

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Scott Brown playing snooker on the table next to mine at the snooker place in Meadowbank. 

With Alan McLaren at The Dome (he was in our group) and Jackie McNamara was in there. They both just have each other

daggers all night. 

Owen Hargreaves in first class (him, not me) on a Heathrow to Calgary flight.

Edited by Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

J.T.F.Robertson
1 hour ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

Scott Brown playing snooker on the table next to mine at the snooker place in Meadowbank. 

With Alan McLaren at The Dome (he was in our group) and Jackie McNamara was in there. They both just have each other

daggers all night. 

Owen Hargreaves in first class (him, not me) on a Heathrow to Calgary flight.

His dad (Colin) and mum were on the same flight as the wife and I from here into Manchester, a few years back.

I was outside the terminal having a fag when Owen picked them up.

Exciting stuff. 😩

Saw Stephen Pressley in Marks and Spencer’s food hall. Was at a few charity nights when I worked in Glasgow, met NeilLennon and Ian Durant. Saw Nade in the hearts shop (not that random I know) for anyone who thinks he’s fat, he certainly didn’t look it then. Built like a heavyweight boxer rather than a footballer. Shame for Ian Black to be on the receiving end of that lol.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
On 14/04/2021 at 13:15, JamesM48 said:

Ally Mccoist came into the pub and worked in and we chatted for a while. This was a few years ago. He was very friendly and sociable. 

Had unpleasant " encounter" with a drunk Andy Goram at Fingers piano bar . He growled at me and looked out his face. Horrible ^^^^

Jason Cummings was in a pub along Gorgie last year. He was quite pleasant actually and had the young team fawning over him. He must have a bladder problem as he was never out the bogs.... :) 

😂

Samuel Camazzola

Neil Lennon at Hard Rock Cafe, George Street in 2006. It was a charity night to celebrate the restaurant's 8th anniversary in Edinburgh. He was very complimentary of Andy Webster and wished Celtic had signed him. Not so complimentary of Gary Caldwell and wished Celtic never signed him! 😂 

Met Edgaras Jankauskas and Marian Pahars in Riga in 2008. Went to a Skonto Riga game which both of them played in but after the match both of them were at the Skyline bar at my hotel. Edgaras was amazed that someone from Scotland was in Latvia but loved to talk about Scottish Golf courses and bars! 😄 Pahars just mentioned that George Burley was a d!ck as he did him out of a new contract which would have included a testimonial. He said deal had been offered before by previous manager Dave Bassett but never signed. 

Used to meet Mark De Vries in Faith nightclub (Cowgate) most weekends. Alan Maybury, Scott Severn and Hibs' player Matthias Doumbe were regular buddies of his there and he was very sound. Liked a blether about football but would never be seen with a drink in his hand. 

Worthing Jambo

Was in Jim Cruickshanks house a few times in Balerno.

He didn’t talk about Hearts!

Remember seeing Robbo take penalties against Kenny Black on the dance floor at Di Marco’s one night!😂

Class of 75

Met Gary Locke and Darren Beckford and a few others who I can't recall in the Rutland in 1996. I was out with Ian Murray MP and another friend from Uni. Been mates with Locke since school but both Ian and my other friend didn't believe that I knew him. Sounds silly I know but we were only young at the time. 

Punks No Deid

Met my boyhood hero Drew Busby outside Tynecastle 3 or 4 years ago. An absolute gentleman.

20 hours ago, Worthing Jambo said:

Was in Jim Cruickshanks house a few times in Balerno.

He didn’t talk about Hearts!

Remember seeing Robbo take penalties against Kenny Black on the dance floor at Di Marco’s one night!😂

Was he awake? We’re you prancing about with gloves and balaclava? 

9 hours ago, Punks No Deid said:

Met my boyhood hero Drew Busby outside Tynecastle 3 or 4 years ago. An absolute gentleman.

Was behind me at the 2012 final. 

We were on a stag do in Yarm, the giant Gary Pallister was in with the boro players , my mate loved him,  he was brilliant when I explained this at the bar , he comes over to our mob and does the hows it going etc as if he knew me , my mates like wtf..gobsmacked ...hours later he still can’t believe his hero came to us for a pint and a chat ...top man🍺

I also stood next to Michael Ballack when getting served in a bar in Munich, and had my photo taken by the pet pap of Ollie Kahn's bit on the side (Was big news as he'd just left his pregnant wife for her) at the Weis'n as I was kilted up. Photo of her was on front page of Die Bild next day but I wasn't in it - Guess they didn't want my beauty to distract from hers...

Worthing Jambo
4 hours ago, maggieb said:

Was he awake? We’re you prancing about with gloves and balaclava? 

Eh?😂

my mate was going out with his daughter.

Too many to mention but a few of the more random ones:

A few years ago I was in a pub in Tollcross during the Fringe. Rudi was stood to my right and Angus Deayton as to my left!

I remember Pinilla, Jose Goncalves and a few others appearing in Tiger Lily in George Street a few years back - all very smartly dressed in dark blue suits.

I saw Dennis Wise in a department store in Rome.

I saw Hans Eskilsson in Safeway a few days after THAT miss in the New Year's Day derby at Easter Road (the one where the noise from the crowd put him off!)

Konrad von Carstein
6 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

McKeown was a Forrester High the same time I was there. 

She's right. He was an utter dickhead, and a arrogant wank.

Mind you when he got a kicking from two teachers he wasn't so smug then. A taste of his own medicine.

A different era, the early 1970s.

We need more details about this kicking...

indianajones

Never spoke but Agent Maybury getting out a car at the airport a few years ago. Gave him a nod and got one back. 

Again, never spoke to him but David Milinkovic at Fountain Park (outside Nandos of course) with his 10/10 bird. 

I saw Julian Brellier in George Street one lunchtime.In training gear smoking a Gauloises. I nearly started smoking again. Liberté toujours.

Konrad von Carstein
10 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

He'd been bullying a younger pupil as per usual and two teachers, of fearsome reputation, dealt with him. 

I remember both teachers well, an Art and a Geography teacher and everyone was shit scared of them both. 

I got on well with them both.

Changed days... They'd be in the pokey these days...

9 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

Indeed. I reckon there are a few posters on here who will probably know the teachers I am referring to. 

Mr Bill F (Art) and Mr Jim L (Geography).

Mr F had a belt that was hidden in a kiln and Mr L had a flat piece of wood called 'The Persuader'. I was threatened with both but avoided them, probably because we got on well.

Never saw the belt or the stick used in anger thankfully.......

was Mr F, Mr Fotheringham? There was an art teacher at Liberton High with that name, he was a nutcase

On 14/04/2021 at 12:55, the sub goalie said:

Granada Studios back in the early 90’s, remember it was early morning midweek and a miserable day. Anyway seemed like we were the only ones there apart from Man Utd right back Paul Parker. I wandered over with my camera and asked politely if I could have a photo, he replied ‘No, **** off’. Mind being gutted as no one would believe I met a Man Utd player.

Also met McCoist and Durrant at the Roxburgh Hotel before a game, they were sound as anything to me and my pal, they called over Oleg Salenko who couldn’t speak a word of English as the proceeded to rip him for our banter.  The same morning we also seen Pasquale Bruno outside the Caledonian Hotel, dressed every bit the mafia don.

Met quite a few Hearts players of recent times with my daughter being a mascot or at the family days and I get my kill at how a lot of bang average footballers act arrogant and can’t be bothered, if only they realised for the majority this is the pinnacle of their career.  In saying that, Callum Paterson was absolutely first class when my daughter was the mascot.

Callum is class I’ve met him a few times he has played at the highest level out the players we have had in the last few years .He’s probably the most approachable, polite and not the big I am . You’d think if anyone who has played in the premiership with Cardiff and on the amount he has made he would be the arrogant one but he isn’t . A lot of players need to look at him and change their attitude. 

2 hours ago, lou said:

was Mr F, Mr Fotheringham? There was an art teacher at Liberton High with that name, he was a nutcase

Well, he would be.

It was Liberton High, after all.

Some (most) of the pupils were a bit rough too.

2 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Well, he would be.

It was Liberton High, after all.

Some (most) of the pupils were a bit rough too.

Obviously I am an exception 😁

14 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

Mind you when he got a kicking from two teachers he wasn't so smug then. A taste of his own medicine.

He was nearly, not quite, as ugly as Stuart ‘Woody’ Wood.

Now, there was a real scumbag.  👍

15 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

He made the mistake of trying to be wide in front of his pals and threatening my cousin. It didn’t end too well for him, to say the least though I suppose he wasn’t to know my cousin included fighting bouncers in his hobbies. And he was good at it. 

14 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Indeed it was. Bill Fotheringham. Known as Fods. 

Thought it  would be, he gave someone a battering at Liberton too, can you imagine that happening now?

Heart of Darkness

Out for a run one Sunday morning and ran past the Celtic team as they were out for a leg stretch after breakfast at the hotel at Ocean Terminal they stayed in the night before a game against us.

Said 'alright lads' and they were all very pleasant in their response until I ran past Craig Gordon and asked him to throw a couple in the net as he was still a pure Hearts man!! Most laughed including Brendan Rodgers, some didn't including Scott Brown!! 😃😃

heartsfc_fan

Walked past Csaba Laszlo when he was manager (over 10 years ago) at Fountain Park. He was with his partner so I just said a friendly "hello" while crossing paths. He acknowledged, politely.

Does he still/ did he live that side of town? Certainly heard his kids went to school in Edinburgh (Watsons?)

4 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Different times, different rules, lou. 

He was a big lad, played rugby for Corstorphine I seem to recall. 

I always found him ok.

He was bloody huge, I was shit scared of him or maybe more his reputation, being unable to draw more than a stick man probably didn't help

ballybee111
On 12/04/2021 at 21:58, Stu_HMFC said:

Also strange one I thought I seen John Hartson few months back when driving through Cramond. I thought I was imagine it until I stopped at the shops few weeks ago and their he was must live down Cramond 😂.

Hartson lives up towards west Linton. I deliver Chinese to his house now and again

TyphoonJambo
3 minutes ago, ballybee111 said:

Hartson lives up towards west Linton. I deliver Chinese to his house now and again

As in human trafficking?

ballybee111

I met Mickey Cameron in the old Mill in penicuik, asked him why Bertie Voghts hadn't picked him for the internationals and he told me to ask Bertie.

1 hour ago, ballybee111 said:

What’s his order 😂 looks a chicken balls man 

2 hours ago, ballybee111 said:

I'd be struggling not to add some bodily fluids to his food.

1 hour ago, Stu_HMFC said:

What’s his order 😂 looks a chicken balls man 

I didnt know chickens had balls.

adambraejambo

Jacksonville airport 2015 Robert Hatch. We were standing next to each other at luggage reclaim thing. Didn't speak to him as he was with other people deep in conversation. He did say excuse me when he reached over to get his suitcase. As for real footballers lots of them over the years at Cheltenham but nobody really famous. Biggest name prob Niall Quinn .

Donkeys ago I was sitting the the "Johnnie Cope" pub in Prestonpans (now closed) having a bev with the lads on a Saturday night. For some reason we were in the lounge and the door swung open, Wee Robbo and his Mrs at the time were stood in the doorway and Robbo muttered the words "feck that" and closed the door :lol:.

He was at a Prestonpans Hearts end of season awards thing at Prestonpans Community Centre and must have wandered along for a pint with his wife and didnt like the look of the clientele :rofl: 

Saw Scott Crabbe in Makro, circa 1991.

My brother and I, both kids at the time, were looking at the 4.99 football boots when along comes Crabbo with some attractive young lady if I remember correctly.

Pointing to a pair of the 'fancy' boots, the laughing Crabbe remarks – to the young lady's amusement – "How can anyone play in those?!"

Jean Pierre Papin in Our Price on Princes Street. Was over with Bayern squad for game against Raith in Europe at Easter Rd. Got his autograph on the back of a receipt.