Random times you've bumped into players

mscjambo

I was digging through my old autograph book and I found loads of old signatures I'd collected. Most being standard at games but 4 stood out as being utterly random autographs gathered from the most unlikely of places.

1. On holiday with my family in a small French town, met Gerrard Houllier and his mum. Got the autograph on the back an old cheque book of my grans. Delightful man. 

2. Jeremy Goss. I think it was up at Inter sport in princes Street he had no long signed for us. Autograph on the back on an old John menzies receipt. 

3. At the speedway back in the Powderhall days found none other than Andy Goram standing next to my family. The week he'd gone to rangers. Autograph on a monarchs programme 😆

4. Waiting for my sister with my dad still quite young at the time at Glasgow Airport and Jonathan Gould was stood with his dad  Bobby next to us in line for coffee. Think they signed an old receipt or something.  Jonathan was still at celtic at the time I think. 

Random thread but got me thinking random places you've come across footballers lol

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Deodato

• Morgan

• Stu_HMFC

• Tazio

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Held the door open for Obua as he was coming out of Harvey Nics. Didn't even thank me.

Danny Grainger and i think it was Ian Black(can't 100% mind the other player) got seated at the table next to me at Nandos fountain park. Didn't speak to them and just let them eat in peace.

Edited by Jamie Walker Tash

Absolute Scenes

On holiday in the algarve with my mate in 2008 and we met Pepi, Jan Venegoor of Hesselink and our own Steven Naismith within 20 minutes of each other

we had also missed Louis Figo by about two minute visiting the very football shop we went to. That one hurt 

1 minute ago, rory78 said:

This is a weird one and I'm no way into flashing car lights in parks etc but I've seen Stan Collymore 3 times when I've been on holiday 😳 saw him in Ayia Napa just after he signed for Liverpool surrounded by stunning gals ,the next time i saw him was in Spain then the last time was while i was in Sydney a while back - seen plenty other players Sol Campbell Nicky Butt Frank Lampard Rio Ferdinand and a few other England players when in Cyprus 

No Idle Talk

Was playing snooker in the Davis club on Annandale Street one day and none other than Jimmy Johnstone was playing on the table next to us. Never bothered asking for an autograph or anything. 

TyphoonJambo

At Powderhall dog racing my mum went up to Gordon Strachan "your that wee ginger bloke that went to Craigy with my son aren't you? Aye misses and your standing on my foot,was his reply.

Edited by TypoonJambo

Салатные палочки

Andy Goram standing outside the supermarket at Haven, Ayr. 

Met Sandy Jardine in Cala Bona Majorca.  Had a brief chat as he was waiting for his wife to get ready.  I think it was the day before the Spurs game at Tynie.

kingantti1874

Took a piss next to JC in hay market train station 😂.  I bump into some players players who live in the same street. 

some of them ex hearts. Always good crack

Edited by kingantti1874

Served quite a few players when working in the Rutland about 89/90ish. Bumped into JC twice, once in a womens' fashion shop in Glasgow (both he and I with the bursd/wife) and once getting an Easyjet flight to Amsterdam for work. Also MdV on same flight a few weeks later. Stuart Pearce on same flight to Qatar about 06 when I think he was managing Man City.

My own grandad who sadly now passed massive jambo. Told a story of meeting the great Dave Mackay. His prize possession was a napkin signed from one jambo to another and his autograph. I think he said it was about the time he was leaving hearts. He always told that story with pride meeting the great man

In Norwich I physically bumped into Alex Neil when I wasn’t looking where I was going. He wasn’t pleased but he was half my size which was surprising - small man syndrome methinks 😏

Prince Obua

Bumped into Eggert Jonnson while going to the toilets at a restaurant in Edinburgh. We got chatting and he told me Juho Makela was one of the players he had ever seen and how the Finnish league must be utter dross. 

41 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

On holiday in the algarve with my mate in 2008 and we met Pepi, Jan Venegoor of Hesselink and our own Steven Naismith within 20 minutes of each other

we had also missed Louis Figo by about two minute visiting the very football shop we went to. That one hurt 

Thread over 👍🤣

Steve Penny , foster and I think John Millar in the Rutland . Lovely chaps. Was after Robbos stag in the tartan club whats was a fekin epic day ‘. mid Derek Ferguson sang the sash after  a stint by Bernard Manning 🤣🤣🤣

Edited by 1971fozzy

Bumped into Templeton in Kushion in Glasgow. He was with a bunch of girls and was at rangers at the time so was surprised when I said I was a hearts fan. He was almost apologetic to me saying he didn’t want to leave.

William H. Bonney

Let Craig levein play through at archerfield. 
gave directions to a strip club in Edinburgh years ago to a few rangers players. 
Sat next to Alan shearer and Bobby robson on a flight from Newcastle to Berlin during the 2006 World Cup. 
Many more trivial interactions with footballers over the years. 

There have been many over the years, but you cannot go anywhere in Corstorphine without bumping into Gordon Marshall. The one that sticks out is Tommy Walker in the queue at the Barbecue Fish and Chip shop on Glasgow Road. Most recently, before lockdown no.2,  I  saw John Colquhoun in the Marine Hotel in North Berwick. I always respect their privacy, whether they like it or not!

Saw Stiliyan Petrov at the next checkout in Asda Govan. (Brave man!) Tried to tell my wife subtly. She thought someone was stealing petrol. 

Scott Brown at Kingsfield Linlithgow and John Collins on Craigelaw.

Big Jim Hamilton in uphall ended up bumping into him in bookies, Scotmid and Deer Park I got to know the big man well sound guy!

Also strange one I thought I seen John Hartson few months back when driving through Cramond. I thought I was imagine it until I stopped at the shops few weeks ago and their he was must live down Cramond 😂.

1 hour ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Must be something about the Algarve. I saw John Terry and Steven Gerrard not together and Kris Boyd and Davie Weir together all on the same day at a theme park. Must have been around 2010/11

On the same flight from Charleroi to Edinburgh with Stephane Adam a few years back when he was coming over for a 98 reunion.

Gordon Durie, Dennis Wise and Steve Clarke in a bar in Gibraltar.  Durie was adamant that Clarke was signing for Hearts

Sandy Jardine in the paper shop on Liberton Brae (he lived round the corner). 

Dave Mcpherson in Ryan's Bar. 

The whole Hearts team when they met up with hibs who were on their Christmas night out in the seven sisters in the Cowgate. Spoke to Gary Wales (he was coming back from a leg break) and Thomas flogel. Gary mcswegan was pished and acting like a nob. The hibs players were in fancy dress. Russell Latapy was dressed like a 1930s gangster (think Wacky Races Ant Hill Mob) and dirk lehmann was dressed in the style of how he played. Like a French tart. 

Paul Ince at the MGM Grand in Vegas. 

Wayne Rooney (and Rory McIlroy) who were filming a Nike advert at the posh upmarket place we were staying at.

Lee Wallace at Crieff Hydro.

Danny Wilson at Costco.

Scott Brown a few times at the Festival.

Many, many pints with Robbo and Big Slim, over a four year (roughly) period..

We had a meal and drinks with Gazza. He paid the bill, pretty sure he wouldn’t remember doing so, though.   That was fun!  😳🍻

Met Jurgen Klinsmann, he was extremely shy.

Shared a table in a restaurant with George Wright after the 1996 LC Final.

Had a few beers with Pasquale Bruno.

24 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

Forgot I met Rousset and Paille in indigo yard. Big Gilles a lovely guy. 

I know big John Brough as well. Absolute diamond. 

Salvatori was often in Indigo with Stephane and Gilles, too.

1 minute ago, Morgan said:

Many, many pints with Robbo and Big Slim, over a four year (roughly) period..

We had a meal and drinks with Gazza. He paid the bill, pretty sure he wouldn’t remember doing so, though.   That was fun!  😳🍻

Met Jurgen Klinsmann, he was extremely shy.

Shared a table in a restaurant with George Wright after the 1996 LC Final.

Had a few beers with Pasquale Bruno.

Ah that reminds me

Mo Johnston Orchid Lodge Chinese - he was a racist knob

Bruno in that Italian at the West End - he was quite reserved

Glamorgan Jambo

Dick Advocaat in the KLM lounge in Amsterdam. Said rumours linking him to us during the Vlad era were nonsense. very decent guy.

Sat beside Guus Hiddinck on a flight from Amsterdam to Seoul 6 months after the Japan/Korea world cup. Didn;t want to engage with any of the other occupants of the top deck of the 747. We walked through customs at the same time and there were about 500 cheering Koreans waiting to welcome him.

Finlay James

I met Chris Sutton at Stansted airport.  We had both had our luggage lost following the flight down from Glasgow so being the last two at the carousel and wondering what was happening, we go chatting and decided to go to the information desk together to complain.  He went nuts at the airport staff 😂

He spotted my Hearts tattoo and he was very complimentary about the club but felt his brother was treated like shit by JJ.  Top, top bloke, nothing at all like he comes across on TV.

5 minutes ago, smiler said:

Ah that reminds me

Mo Johnston Orchid Lodge Chinese - he was a racist knob

Bruno in that Italian at the West End - he was quite reserved

Bar Roma?  Queensferry Street?  

Bruno was as shy as could be.

My wife didn’t seem to mind though, in fact, I think she forgot I was there.  :sad: 

I’ll tell you who was a royal pain in the ass.  

Norman Whiteside.  

Edinburgh Airport.

1 minute ago, Morgan said:

Bar Roma?  Queensferry Street?  

Bruno was as shy as could be.

My wife didn’t seem to mind though, in fact, I think she forgot I was there.  :sad: 

He was surprisingly shy. Was the other one around there called Bar Italia? I honestly can’t remember which one we were in.

1 minute ago, smiler said:

He was surprisingly shy. Was the other one around there called Bar Italia? I honestly can’t remember which one we were in.

Bar Italia was at the top of Lothian Road, just down from the old ABC.

Bar Roma was in the wee street where Indigo Yard is.

3 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Bar Italia was at the top of Lothian Road, just down from the old ABC.

Bar Roma was in the wee street where Indigo Yard is.

It must have been Roma, apparently he virtually lived in there.

Andy Goram in Indigo Yard, Walter Smith in a pub on Rose Street - of course I didn't bother with them.Walked past Robbo on Princes St and he spotted the recognition that must've been on my face but I only gave a wee nod and smile as he was clearly with family. Sat next to Paul Hartley on flight up from Bristol. Didn't say anything until landing when I thanked him for 2006 semi - ended up chatting all the way to the multilevel parking. Lovely guy. Bumped into him again when he was with Dundee at Holiday Inn, Glasgow and I think he recognised me, as both did a smile and nod. Last one was Peter Haring in a cafe off Dundas Street a few months back.

9 minutes ago, smiler said:

It must have been Roma, apparently he virtually lived in there.

Bar Italia.......Stanley Baxter...........more talent than the current squad combined!

StevenNaismith

Got on a flight to Prague back in 2017 and ended up sat next to Rudi. We spent the next 3 hours or so chatting all things Hearts. Truly loves the club and the fans.

Edited by StevenNaismith

Remember as a nipper in the mid 70s, being on the way to the game on the bottom deck of a packed 33 bus from town going along Gorgie Road at about twenty to three.  Who should pile down the stairs from the top deck but Gibson, Kay and Callachan, in a massive hurry barging past the other passengers then bombing off in the direction of the main stand.  Needless to say all the Hearts supporters on the bus were totally gobsmacked.

They’d probably warmed up for the game by having a liquid lunch in the West End somewhere. Changed days.

30 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Salvatori was often in Indigo with Stephane and Gilles, too.

Salvatori and Gilles used to get their foreign language newspapers from Luigi on Lothian Road so I’d see them most days. I didn’t bother them though but Stefano used hang around for ages and have a good chat with Luigi everyday about the Italian football. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Graeme Souness at a do. was a decent chat - said we all knew he was a Jambo at heart. He didn’t deny it...

I am fairly sure I bumped into Gary MacKay at the Ideal Home Exhibition the day after we lost the league. I had my hearts Kagool on and he spied it and we both kind of just looked down to the ground. I was 12 which is why I can’t really be sure.

Had a few pints and a dinner with JC in recent times. As much a legend as a person as he was a player.

Best non-football sports was rugby - Danny Cipriani. He was actually decent and spent some time chatting. Wasn’t in a rush to get away.