Random times you've bumped into players

mscjambo

heartsfc_fan

Met Jose Goncalves in a George Street bar around 2006-2007 time. Again, very sound guy and had a good sense of humour. Think he was chasing a lady friend at that time so left him to it 😂

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Deodato

• Morgan

• Stu_HMFC

• Tazio

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I recently took my puppy to lauriston castle when you go in and turn right I was walking down the muddy path and coming towards me was Jack Hamilton with his big sheep dog I've seen him about hundreds of times he lives in D'Mains but with him was Aaron Hughes with a tiny wee dug stopped me and spoke to me for 10 minutes about my puppy gave her dog treats from his pocket Hamilton was standing there like a right spare never said anything apart from a mutter about my puppy. Hughes was class speaking away I had my Hearts hat on could of spoke all day to the guy. 

Met robbie keane in a pub in ireland when scotland were playing there in the home nations tournament circa 2011? Seemed like a decent guy tbf.

I'm also sure that i seen leigh griffiths in waverley station one time, or it looked like his double.

7 hours ago, j1964m said:

Was out with the wife and my new born daughter up by the castle in 1988. Ian Jardine and his wife came up to us and ask to see my new born and she put some coins in the daughters pram and said that’s for your child 

Fair swap?

8 minutes ago, gregzy2k7 said:

Met robbie keane in a pub in ireland when scotland were playing there in the home nations tournament circa 2011? Seemed like a decent guy tbf.

I'm also sure that i seen leigh griffiths in waverley station one time, or it looked like his double.

Two thumbs up. : WTF

11 hours ago, August Landmesser said:

1. Rudi's dog sniffed my dog's arse outside the Scottish Parliament in 2015.

That's the kinda content I'm here for.

40 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

I recently took my puppy to lauriston castle when you go in and turn right I was walking down the muddy path and coming towards me was Jack Hamilton with his big sheep dog I've seen him about hundreds of times he lives in D'Mains but with him was Aaron Hughes with a tiny wee dug stopped me and spoke to me for 10 minutes about my puppy gave her dog treats from his pocket Hamilton was standing there like a right spare never said anything apart from a mutter about my puppy. Hughes was class speaking away I had my Hearts hat on could of spoke all day to the guy. 

Totally missed that!!

https://www.heartsfc.co.uk/squads/hearts-women/coaching-staff/aaron-hughes

Good on him! 

Was in a club in Liverpool years ago and ended up stood next to Didi Hamann at the bar, only thing I could think to say was that I liked him more at Newcastle and to thank him for the screamer he scored against England (absolute daisy cutter from about 35 yards), he just laughed and then paid for my drink, top bloke!

Also in Liverpool ended up sat at the table next to Gerrard in Browns for dinner, burd I was with turned out to be second cousins (or something like that) with Mrs Gerrard so we ended up having dinner together. Was all rather surreal and under instruction from both women there was 'no football chat' allowed.

George Best sitting on his own at a hotel breakfast in Hong Kong.

Scott Brown coming out of Tesco at Davidson's Mains wearing shades and strutting like he was a movie star. It was winter.

Craig Gordon down the Grassmarket in a boozer during his first stint with us. He was sober.

Non football: Lester Piggot in Hong Kong, Stephen Hendry in a disco in Singapore

Wouldn't say any of mine are entirely random seeing as in my old job, I used to walk around the city centre all day. But some encounters were still more pleasant than others.

Most random player I'd say I saw was Benni McCarthy in St Andrew Square. Although when I remembered his Mrs is from here and he played a friendly for Easthouses around the same time, it wasn't all that random. Still, not every day you see a CL winner walking through St Andrew Square.

Also became quite pally with Gary Mason in that job. He was driving taxi's at the time, and I said alright to him one day. He obviously took that quite well and proceeded to wave or talk to me whenever we seen each other. He's a good Jambo.

Most pleasant interactions I had were with Pat Nevin, and oor Robbo. Both stopped and had a good chat with me for a few minutes which wasn't necessary, but totally appreciated. Meeting John Robertson honestly left me a little starstruck.

Howdy Doody Jambo

When I was a kid, I ran into Willie Gibson & Cammy Fraser one Saturday morning as I ran out of Andersons the baker's door with morning rolls at the Murieston/Dalry /Gorgie junction must have been around 1979 ,don't know who got the biggest surprise 

22 minutes ago, OTT said:

I wonder if he may end up on the Hearts 1st team coaching eventually. What a CV the guy has. 

He was sound and I couldn't get away from him all over my puppy I never wanted to start speaking about Hearts or his career would of put Jack Hamilton to shame standing there haha. 

26 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Was in a club in Liverpool years ago and ended up stood next to Didi Hamann at the bar, only thing I could think to say was that I liked him more at Newcastle and to thank him for the screamer he scored against England (absolute daisy cutter from about 35 yards), he just laughed and then paid for my drink, top bloke!

Also in Liverpool ended up sat at the table next to Gerrard in Browns for dinner, burd I was with turned out to be second cousins (or something like that) with Mrs Gerrard so we ended up having dinner together. Was all rather surreal and under instruction from both women there was 'no football chat' allowed.

F that I would of told Alex Curran to ram it and  I would of been burning his ear about Liverpool and asking for a photo the guy legend and one of my footballing hero's 😋 Please tell me you have a photo with him ?. 

Met Ann Budge Darren Fletcher and Craig Gordon in Tblisi airport on the way home from a Scotland game, they were not really in the mood for talking as Scotland had got beat 1-0 a few hours earlier.

Met Paul Ritchie in Sportsters in Perth around 10 years ago, thanked him for 1998 and really happy to talk Hearts for half an hour.

Was in Paul Kane's pub after a Scotland game at Easter Road with my St Johnstone pals, apparently he scored the goal that got Saints into Europe in the 90's so he was happy to talk, he refused to do the 5-1 for a photo and he told me if i mentioned the cup final one more time i was getting chucked out.   

Served Colin Cameron petrol at Asda Perth in the 90's, unfortunately there was a big queue. 

Batistuta87
3 hours ago, Zen Jambo said:

Not a player , but...

I literally bumped into an extremely beautiful Spanish speaking lady, outside the main stand before our 4-1 win over ICT in 2006(?). 

The person I was with tried to convince me it was Pinilla’s other half. 

I have no way of verifying this. But for that afternoon I wanted to believe. 

I’m still non the wiser if it was or not.  

Don't think he had a Mrs when he lived here. If he did then he did an awfy lot of shagging behind her back lol. 

Edited by Batistuta87

2 minutes ago, allyjambo said:

Met Ann Budge Darren Fletcher and Craig Gordon in Tblisi airport on the way home from a Scotland game, they were not really in the mood for talking as Scotland had got beat 1-0 a few hours earlier.

Met Paul Ritchie in Sportsters in Perth around 10 years ago, thanked him for 1998 and really happy to talk Hearts for half an hour.

Was in Paul Kane's pub after a Scotland game at Easter Road with my St Johnstone pals, apparently he scored the goal that got Saints into Europe in the 90's so he was happy to talk, he refused to do the 5-1 for a photo and he told me if i mentioned the cup final one more time i was getting chucked out.   

Served Colin Cameron petrol at Asda Perth in the 90's, unfortunately there was a big queue. 

Apart for being a Hibs C .Paul Kane is sound got to know him well when I worked in William Hill was never out the place parking his taxi outside and would be in all day. 

2 minutes ago, allyjambo said:

Top marks for having the minerals to ask for this in his own pub!

Maroon Sailor

Kenny Black in Martine's night club in Pompey. He bought me a beer.

Henry at Hamilton races

Bobby Charlton at King's Cross. He walked over to me and asked me the train I was heading for (Edinburgh) was the Stevenage train. I said it was and we chatted football and Ashington walking to the train. He didn't have anything nice to say about Ashington unlike his brother.

1 minute ago, Stu_HMFC said:

F that I would of told Alex Curran to ram it and  I would of been burning his ear about Liverpool and asking for a photo the guy legend and one of my footballing hero's 😋 Please tell me you have a photo with him ?

I don't*, never really been one to ask for pictures/autographs, I've met plenty celebs over the years for some reason (outwith those that i've met since I started working for Sky 8 years ago) with some of the most notable being Angus Deaton on an easyjet flight, trying to chat up Andrea Corr in Eros & Elite before I realised who she was, Girls Aloud, Josh Taylor, Johnny Nelson, Karl Froch (dick), Joanna Lumley once stroked my beard, shared a cab with the New York Dolls and an elevator with Kris Akabusi. Only person that's ever had me star stuck and babbling like an idiot was Henry Smith!

*And tbf the Albert Dock area of liverpool was hoaching with footballers/hollyoaks bints etc and the burd I was seeing lived just along the road from it so just kinda thought I'd no doubt bump into him again at some point (which I never)

Dennis Law and Luther Blissett in Asda when I was a kid promoting a soccer school. 

Dave Mackay in the Gordon Arms on Rose Street after the 2006 final, pished. Absolute legend and a gent. 

Alex Young in the Station Tavern on Gorgie Road, i think he was visiting. I never recognised him but my old man did. 

John Cummings just before he died in out West Calder direction. I think he was with a carer and it actually gave me goosebumps walking past him. 

The whole Hearts team at Edinburgh Airport coming back from a European game the day JJ was sacked 2nd time around. I was flying to Sweden. 

Ian Black, lives round the corner from my street, seen him and his burd jogging the other day. 

Walked past Sean Clare in double denims on George Street a couple of years ago. 

Oor Gary had a season ticket a couple of rows behind me when he played for Killie. PHM.

Sat beside Neil McCann at Murrayfield v Sparta Prague. Too feard to say a word for the whole 90 minutes. :lol:

Big Zak nearly knocked me down as we were heading to the Tyne Arms. Lager blinkers were on as he turned into McLeod St. I pointed to the pub and he just laughed. RIP Zal.

Big Dave McPherson and Roger W in a pub in Paisley, drinking champagne on a Tuesday night no less. Ice bucket on the bar. Top blokes, RIP, Roger.

Craig Gordon at Glasgow Airport as he was flying out to Helsinki with the hooped demons. Asked for a 5-1 for my holiday photo album. Laughed and said “ NO ! “

On the same flight to Portugal as Jim Jefferies. Genuinely as nice a guy as you can imagine. 

Served Andy Goram while working at UCI (and surprisingly he didn't order a diet drink)

Nutmegged a Hibs player at an Ian St John Soccer camp (I think maybe Keith Wright)

Saw Sam Nicholson all the time at Tesco Penicuik before he went stateside. 

HamishMcGonagall
1 minute ago, Der Kaiser said:

On the same flight to Portugal as Jim Jefferies. Genuinely as nice a guy as you can imagine. 

Served Andy Goram while working at UCI (and surprisingly he didn't order a diet drink)

Nutmegged a Hibs player at an Ian St John Soccer camp (I think maybe Keith Wright)

Saw Sam Nicholson all the time at Tesco Penicuik before he went stateside. 

The UCI! I served Pat Nevin while working there. Didn't really talk much though, just asked what he wanted n told him the price. Also served one of the 'two fat ladies' cooks there. As far as I know she didn't play football though so I won't count that one.

Used to bump into Keith Wright a lot. At the co-op, at the gym and then also ended up buying a sofa from him...

Used to see all the players training when I was younger as they'd train at my school and I remember refusing to wash my hand after Bruno shook it. He then used to spot me at other times and come over and ruffle my hair and say hello when he saw me.

David Black

For those of the older generation, I got talking to Roald Jensen in the  Cavandish Ballroom one Saturday night and very pleasant he was. Robbie Savage once said excuse me to me at Malaga airport and I accidently stood on the toe of Alex.McLeish on a flight from Faro as he had his feet in the aisle. What a life eh?

1 hour ago, Locky said:

Meeting John Robertson honestly left me a little starstruck.

Met him a few times now and it’s always a shambles. 

Met the great man himself Rudi in the last drop a few years back,obviously got the obligatory 

5 -1 photo with him,great guy.

credit card

Had breakfast with Romanov, Fedotovas and their bodyguard in the Planeta Hotel in Minsk. They sat at our table. The wife was nervous as the bodyguard's leather jacket was open exposing a holster and hand gun.

Fedotovas did the talking telling us that they had a new manager ready (it was Burley) but didn't name him and said plenty of signings were on their way.

The hotel was where Scotland were staying. Chris Robinson was there too as part of the SFA (boo). 

Elvis and a few others tricked wee Barry Ferguson. The top floor had hookers and private dancers. They chipped in for Barry. We were at reception next morning and Elvis and a few others came out the lift laughing. The next lift had wee Barry who said "Elvis ya fud!" That in itself was funny but he then said "That dancer you sent me to. Well she took off her top and her bra and that was fine. Then she took her knickers aff tae and 'they' fell oot!"

Spoke to most of the team. Craig Gordon was just a wee laddie then but trained with the goalie coach on a wee bit of grass outside the hotel! Elvis was the elder Hearts statesman with Andy Webster who were both happy to blether. Lee Miller was in the squad too but not at Hearts at that time. My mate kidded on a Ukrainian journalist looking for McCoist that he was his agent but did indeed get the guy his interview.

Mental place Minsk. The u21 game got abandoned due to rain and when we got back they had restarted an hour later.

We went to the war museum and bumped into Kevin Thomas too who was there for the game.

Never sold any Levis 

Shanks said no

Jock Stein in the petrol station just after Dundee, we suggested he pick Robbo more often, he laughed. 

Billy McNeill at the sinks at St Andrew’s Boxing Club event, got chatting to him and was still debating a fight when we returned to our respective tables. Much to the astonishment of the mhanks at our table. 

non football as there’s been a mention already, 2 famous Hollyoaks actresses on the adjacent sun beds to us at the Hilton Sharm. Very full of themselves but meant nothing to us as never watched it. Also used the word Babe in every sentence, which Mrs F hates. 

Hairy Nugget

A few years ago onway to orlando had neil alexander on flight out and then scott brown on way back.Also saw charlie austin in Disney.Spoke to alexander briefly and wasn’t leveins biggest cheerleader.

I’ve just remembered a very odd one due to the players appearances. I was touring with a well known Scottish band and we were playing Manchester and Gordon Strachan and Brian McClaire were there and came backstage to say hello. Nothing odd about that apart from the fact they were both in their Man Utd club blazers. I don’t know if they’d been at a function or if it was something Ferguson wanted them doing. 
Also Alex McLeish when he was Hibs manager having a Guinness in my work after seeing a festival show and the next day he was rushed into hospital with serious stomach pains. Turned out it was appendix and not a poisoned pint. 

I P Knightley

Martin O'Neill and I were brushing up our putting early one morning at the Buckinghamshire GC before heading out on our respective rounds. "Play well", he said to me as I headed off to the tee. That's the kind of guy he is.

Alex McLeish in a sheepskin jacket behind me in the queue for the Bank of Scotland Autoteller in Union Street, Aberdeen. The one at the West end (North side).

17 hours ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Also strange one I thought I seen John Hartson few months back when driving through Cramond. I thought I was imagine it until I stopped at the shops few weeks ago and their he was must live down Cramond 😂.

He lives at West Linton 

Rogue Daddy

As a young lad me and my dad got a lift home from Davie Bowman from our golf club (Bowman's best mate was a member who we knew)... had had a few and drove like a loon! Good laugh though! Blue Ford Sierra.... 3 door.

Rogue Daddy

I also worked at BMW (Service) for a while and Paulo Sergio's car came in a couple of times.... don't think he liked me as I had to charge him for things he didn't (or his interpreter at least) agree with. Did all I could for him though... even if he didn't appreciate it! He was very pleasant though. Legend!

1 minute ago, jonnothejambo said:

My son and myself were in The Oak Room at White Hart Lane for the match against Spurs. Had my photo taken with Martin Peters, Martin Chivers and Pat Jennings. All lovely blokes, especially Martin Peters who was an absolute gem.

After the match a young Spurs player was in the room to collect the MOM award and it was all Jambos in the room.

Also saw Ossie Ardiles who was helping Dave Mackay into an adjoining lounge. Mr Mackay was very frail looking which was sad to see.

The Oak Room was fantastic, absolute top notch grub and booze. Not a cheap day out though. Martin Peters was always the match day host. I was running late for it and phoned ahead to warn them my plane was delayed, so when I eventually arrived Pat Jennings was waiting for me at the front desk and gave me a personal tour of the stadium as I’d missed the one with everyone else. Then after the match I had a chat with Kenneth Wolstenholme as I was having a piss. Spurs used to let him come to any home game he fancied for a free meal. 

Two more, from when I was quite wee.

Alex Cropley played football with me.  He lived in the same street as my aunt and uncle - Paisley Crescent, near Meadowbank.

Due to the fact that my best friends uncle was Hearts PR man at the time (Ian Scott), we attended Jim Cruickshank’s  birthday party at his house in Cherry Tree Avenue, Balerno.

Just now, jonnothejambo said:

Brilliant. 

What a night. What a session.

It was a different occasion, remember I’m a plastic Spurs fan 😀

11 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

My son and myself were in The Oak Room at White Hart Lane for the match against Spurs. Had my photo taken with Martin Peters, Martin Chivers and Pat Jennings. All lovely blokes, especially Martin Peters who was an absolute gem.

After the match a young Spurs player was in the room to collect the MOM award and it was all Jambos in the room.

Also saw Ossie Ardiles who was helping Dave Mackay into an adjoining lounge. Mr Mackay was very frail looking which was sad to see.

That was a fantastic Spurs side back then.

16 hours ago, JWL said:

That's more like it. Footballers who were c**ts is a heck of a lot better than this love in. Don Murray told my mate to feck off once after being asked for an autograph. I didn't bother after that. We were both around 13/14 at the time so he's a footballing ****.

😀 Another pair who were a bit of a pain, on a night out for my wife’s birthday, were Craig Levein and Mickey Cameron.

16 hours ago, McGlynn The Money said:

Bar Italia is still there.

👍 Thanks, I didn’t know that.

Edited by Morgan

McGlynn The Money
2 minutes ago, Morgan said:

😀 Another pair who were a bit of a pain, on a night out for my wife’s birthday, were Craig Levein and Mickey Cameron.

👍 Thanks, I didn’t know that.

Great wee place!

Just now, jonnothejambo said:

👍

you both well, mon ami ?

Hunky Dory, J.  👍

How’s you two?

When I was nearly done with school I used to help a guy do Tv ariel rigging for a few months. We done Gordon Smith's who lived along Joppa way and also a guy called Willie Miller (not the sheep one, the one who played for Hibs) who lived in Livi.

No Idle Talk

There was a football day held at Meadowbank Stadium in the 80s for young lads. Emlyn Hughes, Paul Kane, Mickey Weir(I think?), Gary Mackay and another Hearts player(canny mind who?) were coaching the boys. They all took a group each and you took turns being coached by each of them.

Emlyn Hughes was a total gent and a funny man. Paul Kane went in goals and had us taking penalties into him. I had my full Hearts kit on so he was giving me some digs and was definitely trying a wee bit harder to keep my penalties out. He saved my first one but I despatched the second one past him. Made my day. 😁

Edited by No Idle Talk