Random times you've bumped into players

mscjambo

Being brought up in gala, used to see john collins a lot.

Worked in the west end oyster bar in mid 90s, got to know gordon Marshall quite well while he was playing for celtic.

A couple of nights before the 4 3 league cup final, me and mrs were in the Edinburgh rock bar having a scran. 3 guys walked in, mrs says look at the height of him, was dave macpherson with Darren beckford and I still can't remember who the 3rd player was.

I also remember having a blether with andy goram in the rutland. Had a couple of pints with him until my mate was a dick to him. Mate started ripping in to him about how many derbies he wan at hubs, however he went too far, goram was going to kill him until I dragged my mate away.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Deodato

• Morgan

• Stu_HMFC

• Rogue Daddy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Seen Gary Mackay outside Mackays Spot On on Morrison Street using a payphone. 

Putting 50p's into the slot too, bling. 

Box Office!

Are we surprised that no one on this fine thread has claimed to have seen Ibrahim Tall? 

CloustonHMFC

Met loads of Hearts players in and around Edinburgh. One that sticks out was Callum Elliot getting thrown out of Stereo and trying to fight the bouncer while he couldn't stand straight. Had to lead him away before the boy knocked him clean out. Circa 2010/2011.

Also met Scott Brown, Leigh Griffiths and Anthony Stokes in the queue for Cav one night around the same sorta time. Mate that was with me is a Hibs fan and started talking to them. They sorted us out with VIP inside and paid for most of our drinks for the night. Stokes was a bit of an obnoxious knob but, and whisper it, the other 2 were actually gentlemen. 

Rogue Daddy
19 minutes ago, Deodato said:

Are we surprised that no one on this fine thread has claimed to have seen Ibrahim Tall? 

Pretty sure my dad met him of some golf day at Dalmahoy (may have been Goncalves)... anyhoo, he had just signed and didn't speak any/much English.... and didn't play golf! But wandered round as part of a fourball and was good company apparently. Pretty sure it was 'The Shepherd'!

4 hours ago, HamishMcGonagall said:

The UCI! I served Pat Nevin while working there. Didn't really talk much though, just asked what he wanted n told him the price. Also served one of the 'two fat ladies' cooks there. As far as I know she didn't play football though so I won't count that one.

Used to bump into Keith Wright a lot. At the co-op, at the gym and then also ended up buying a sofa from him...

Used to see all the players training when I was younger as they'd train at my school and I remember refusing to wash my hand after Bruno shook it. He then used to spot me at other times and come over and ruffle my hair and say hello when he saw me.

One of the two fat ladies wrote a letter of complaint about me when I worked there!!

It was genuinely an utter load of lies about me swearing and being very rude (The truth was I asked them to move as they were in someone else's seat, they said that someone was in their seat and they won't move until their seat was free so I said I'll get everyone seated properly and they just moaned the entire time) Work said they were thinking about deducting the free ticket cost from my wage....I said then I quit as it was all untrue....quickly followed by the manager saying but we decided a warning will suffice. 

I cant recall which one the letter was from (my manager told me who it was but I forget) but it doesn't matter as they're both dead.....Needless to say I had the last laugh.

Rogue Daddy
16 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

One of the two fat ladies wrote a letter of complaint about me when I worked there!!

It was genuinely an utter load of lies about me swearing and being very rude (The truth was I asked them to move as they were in someone else's seat, they said that someone was in their seat and they won't move until their seat was free so I said I'll get everyone seated properly and they just moaned the entire time) Work said they were thinking about deducting the free ticket cost from my wage....I said then I quit as it was all untrue....quickly followed by the manager saying but we decided a warning will suffice. 

I cant recall which one the letter was from (my manager told me who it was but I forget) but it doesn't matter as they're both dead.....Needless to say I had the last laugh.

🤣🤣🤣... didn't see the point of them on the TV! Always thought they came over as a couple of angry frustrated old bags!

Geddyalexneil

I once stood next to Ally McCoist at a Stiff Little Fingers gig at the Barras. 

It was a St Patricks day gig and there had been an old firm game earlier in the day and there were plenty of both sets of fans (stil in tops) in the venue pissed as hell. He was stood nearer an exit at the back (as was I... prog fans don't fight😂)

heatonjambo
1 hour ago, Deodato said:

Ok, i will spoil that for you.

meet him, (well said bonjour) in Ave jean Jare in Reims where my wife is from around 2.5 years ago.

playing in Switzerland apparently.

a 3 minute (rather embarrassing conversation for him as he was with his missus i assume) later we said our au revouirs!

Seemed a nice guy to be honest. And smaller than i thought

colinmorewasgash
20 hours ago, mscjambo said:

I was digging through my old autograph book and I found loads of old signatures I'd collected. Most being standard at games but 4 stood out as being utterly random autographs gathered from the most unlikely of places.

1. On holiday with my family in a small French town, met Gerrard Houllier and his mum. Got the autograph on the back an old cheque book of my grans. Delightful man. 

2. Jeremy Goss. I think it was up at Inter sport in princes Street he had no long signed for us. Autograph on the back on an old John menzies receipt. 

3. At the speedway back in the Powderhall days found none other than Andy Goram standing next to my family. The week he'd gone to rangers. Autograph on a monarchs programme 😆

4. Waiting for my sister with my dad still quite young at the time at Glasgow Airport and Jonathan Gould was stood with his dad  Bobby next to us in line for coffee. Think they signed an old receipt or something.  Jonathan was still at celtic at the time I think. 

Random thread but got me thinking random places you've come across footballers lol

Tom Boyd and family in departure lounge on a delay of 6 hours on flight to orlando both our families got on great top bloke.  

Pallister and a limping Gordon McQueen at old trafford hospitality and met all hearts first team at craig leveins testimonial dinner at sheraton.

Son was playing football at dalgety bay leisure centre with mates and two black guys approached them asking for game one day one went on each side. Christian Nade who was at Raith Rovers and Prince Buaben who was at us were the guys. Said they spotted sons and mates hearts tops haha. They had been doing fitness training inside. My son was late for tea that day so Id gone over to look for him and saw two adults with them wondering wtf was going on haha. Top blokes kids all got autographs and Nade wished he could play for us again as in his own words he loved the club and let us down he went to Hamilton not long after.

Dreghorn service station, ranting about Jamie Macs positioning for the Leigh Griffiths free kick that was never over the line. Turned around and Big Craig G was standing behind me in the queue. Always loved the fact he said "You're right". My one and only pundits moment  😆

TyphoonJambo
56 minutes ago, Geddyalexneil said:

I once stood next to Ally McCoist at a Stiff Little Fingers gig at the Barras. 

It was a St Patricks day gig and there had been an old firm game earlier in the day and there were plenty of both sets of fans (stil in tops) in the venue pissed as hell. He was stood nearer an exit at the back (as was I... prog fans don't fight😂)

Met Ally in the "feathery and furkin" in St Andrews. He was injured at the time so wasn't playing that Saturday.  We were about to take part in a pub crawl/dice game thing. He was visiting his sister who was studying there. Had a good chat  my group were jambos and a celtic fan.  Lots of pickies. Good laugh. 

I was in Graz when Livi were playing Sturm Graz at the Arnold Schwarzenegger stadium. Anyway in the hotel bar and the lift door opens and out walks Murdo McLeod who chatted with us. He was co summariser with Gary Mackay who actually got back of the bus to pose for pictures with us.

Arthur Numan at Edinburgh airport, lovely bloke.

Andy Goram on the train to Edinburgh who was happy to get his picture taken with a Jambo.

Ex Everton/England legend Peter Reid at an Indian restaurant near Twickenham after the 38-38 game. He was well on as were we and he spent loads of time with us posing for pics, offering drinks really top bloke.

Maroon Sailor

Walter Kidd (still playing for Hearts at the time)

Stood behind me in the Pentland Fry, Juni Green

Did he live Currie or Balerno ?

A robust centre forward

Used to pick up a lot of Hearts players whilst driving a black cab about the town. Wee Robbo was the best tipped and always up for a chat when he stayed up Fairmilrhead. Late Sandy Jardine won the prize for being the most drunk. Had to get out and carry him into the cab along with his wife from a house up Morningside. Top bloke. Anyway back in the 90s used to meet a lot of footballers at Musselburgh Races. Stood next to Kevin Keegan in the gents and he was top notch. Didn't realise though just how small he was. Keegans wife  used to run/own a stud farm so for a few years, Musselburgh Races sometimes was a whose who of England internationals, Shearer, Beardsley, Steve Bruce, Bryan Robson, Franny Lee to name a few. All were happy to have a blether.

Liverpool away europa league. We got a train down to Manchester to hit a few boozers first. Before getting our next train to Liverpool we went to a shop to get some drink. Sergio Augero rocks up in his white Bentley pops into the shop with his Man City tracky on and a pair of sliders 😂
small guy but some calf’s on him like. 

HamishMcGonagall
4 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

An alan partridge-esque anecdote. I've got good memories from working there, considering it was just selling overpriced food or sweeping up folks mess once they'd left. Got a good laugh most of the time, even if you were closing the stand..

Took my son to meet Rudi Skacel once n my bloody phone stopped working so I couldn't get a photo of them together (maybe my hands were just too shaky...) He kindly shouted his wife over to take a photo on her phone and then emailed it to me.

Also met Jim Leighton and got to take penalties into him at Edinburgh Zoo of all places..

I worked at the Airport for a private hire company over a Christmas and Micheal O’Neil came in looking for a taxi to take him up to the Grange. It’s when the forth road bridge was closed the woman I was working with took ages to writing  down the prices down for travel to Fife I got him to sign the back of it 😂 she wasn’t pleased 😂 really  nice guy told him I’d be supporting them in the Euros and wished him luck told him I was a Jambo stood waiting for his taxi coming speaking about Hearts spoke very highly of hearts, tynecastle and the support . 

Got to know Gary Glen too very well through golf no spoken to him for a while think he was working for Tesco last time I heard. He used to join in playing 5s when I used to play down in Broxburn with Darren Cole. 

Finlay James

Chris McCart and the late Jim Griffin came to our school to do a training session.  Griffin was quality, McCart was a bit of a knob but when he was asked who his toughest opponent was, he said Robbo which made me happy.

Eammon Bannon also done a session, he was a grumpy arse.

been here before
7 hours ago, Tazio said:

Then after the match I had a chat with Kenneth Wolstenholme as I was having a piss. Spurs used to let him come to any home game he fancied for a free meal. 

Please say you stopped your pish just before you'd finished and went "they think its all over" then forced the last dribble out before going "it is now".

Or something similar.

Wilmslow Jambo

On a cruise in the Western Med in 2010.  One of the shore trips was to The Leaning Tower of Piza.  Whilst waiting for our guide to arrive to take us back to the bus, the whole Hearts squad appeared.  They were about to return home from a pre-season training camp and decided to kill some time before catching their plane.  After relocating my dropped jaw, I had a few words with some of the players and Jim Jefferies.

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Just a minute.

Some gadge on here says he had breakfast with Romanov just before he properly took over and no-one has batted an eyelid....?? 

I saw Alex Song and Nikola Zigic in Bicester Village shopping outlet. I walked past Song and Zigic was in Starbucks.

Craig Gordon was in Tesco Colinton last summer just after he signed.

I remember years ago playing an 11 a side match at Roseburn Park and Scott Brown was standing at the side of the pitch doing keepie uppies, occasionally watching the game, but mostly seeing if anyone was looking at him. Seemed an odd individual.

I used to drink in the travelers tryst which was managed by Tommy Preston ex hibs and there were often current and ex players in. He told me the majority of the hibs team when he played supported Hearts growing up but Hibs offered better terms than Hearts. Was set up by a girl I worked beside once. Walter Kidd had just broken into the team and Anne asked me what I thought of him. I was rather frank and told her he was crap. Five mins later she introduces him to me telling him this - thankfully he took it in  good spirits.

18 minutes ago, Groatallar said:

I used to drink in the travelers tryst which was managed by Tommy Preston ex hibs and there were often current and ex players in. He told me the majority of the hibs team when he played supported Hearts growing up but Hibs offered better terms than Hearts. Was set up by a girl I worked beside once. Walter Kidd had just broken into the team and Anne asked me what I thought of him. I was rather frank and told her he was crap. Five mins later she introduces him to me telling him this - thankfully he took it in  good spirits.

The Travellers Tryst? That'll confuse the young 'uns. it once got an honourable mention in JKB thread 'Worst Pubs'. 🙃

18 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

Met John Terry in Malaga. He's an absolute unit and has a massive heed. 

My wife shared a maternity ward with Ian Murray's Mrs when we had our first kid in 2012. He was Dumbarton manager at the time and even in that situation, was a prick. 

I managed Sole/Soletrader on Multrees Walk for a couple of years about 2005/2006 and it was just round from Harvey Nics so we'd get players in there all the time. Remember Bednar and Pospisil coming in, Scott Brown, Riordan etc were in a lot, Claudio Canniggia was in, John Rowbotham the ref was in. 

... And I met a couple of lads in Rangers tracksuits in a hotel lift in Glasgow when I was through having a night out for my Mrs 18th or 21st whatever it was, turned out to be Beasley and Darcheville while they were on trial at Rangers.

I also work for a well known broadcaster lol, and travel down to the London office quite a bit. Their popular morning football show is filmed in the building next door to where I go, so I've popped round to watch that a few times and bumped into Jimmy Bullard, Peter Crouch, Jamie Redknapp, Jamie Carragher, and big Ginge James Collins.

Was he handing out flyers for free shots at the nearest bar? 😄

Kevin Bridges joke.

I was in the Maldives a few years ago and my wife and I were asked to be guests of honour at the weekly guest football match. The island team play a game against the guests every Sunday and the guests normally get beaten by a few goals as the home team play in an inter-island competition and various cups throughout the year. They also train every day for a minimum of two hours.

On that day the guests had four under 21 French international players plus a certain Mr C Nade and they won 6-2.

Nade played centre back and cleaned out a few players including one of his fellow countrymen.

I gave him MOTM and we had a chat before he admitted he had seen me going on the dive boat wearing my Hearts strip which I wear when I dive as it dries quickly. He told me that he did not want to get involved in a conversation as he was thinking of not renewing his contract but he could not avoid me after the match as I gave him his small MOTM trophy. He was the best player on the field.

He was a big lad and there was no fat on him but he was very easy to talk to and was very supportive of Hearts and the fans although he did say he got the occasional weight comments when he did not score.

Ten days later he left the Club 2010 after a dispute.

Batistuta87
4 hours ago, martoon said:

Was he handing out flyers for free shots at the nearest bar? 😄

Kevin Bridges joke.

Malaga, not Maga lol. 

Incidentally I was in Magaluf on a stag do when that video of Ross McCormack surfaced. He was on the same flight as us going out there and I'm assuming he probably missed his flight back judging by the nick of him in the video. Saw Jim Leishman as well, doing card tricks in exchange for drinks, at 11AM 😵

19 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Malaga, not Maga lol. 

Incidentally I was in Magaluf on a stag do when that video of Ross McCormack surfaced. He was on the same flight as us going out there and I'm assuming he probably missed his flight back judging by the nick of him in the video. Saw Jim Leishman as well, doing card tricks in exchange for drinks, at 11am 😵

Ffs. 😄

Batistuta87
24 minutes ago, martoon said:

Ffs. 😄

Its actually a running joke in the group now, because they were horrendously bad... 

"Right boys.... Bet ye a vodka and coke that I can guess your caird..... hink ae a caird.... a rid wan..... 'atween 7 and 9..... No a diamond......"

*shuffles cards*

"EIGHT AE HERTS!!" 

Edited by Batistuta87

33 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Its actually a running joke in the group now, because they were horrendously bad... 

"Right boys.... Bet ye a vodka and coke that I can guess your caird..... hink ae a caird.... a rid wan..... 'atween 7 and 9..... No a diamond......"

*shuffles cards*

"EIGHT AE HERTS!!" 

In The Bronze Bar by any chance?

upgotheheads

Sometime around 1965 I was camping with some pals at Gullane near the famous sandhill where teams trained. There is (or was, don't know  if it's still there) a flat area with a set of goalposts amongst the dunes. There was a group of maybe 14 blokes playing football and as we watched them I thought 'these guys are good', then I realised it was Hearts players . It would have been during the school holidays so some time in July, pre-season training no doubt.

Batistuta87
1 hour ago, JWL said:

In The Bronze Bar by any chance?

Nah it was a place right by the beach... We were waiting to get into that Ocean's Beach Club at midday so would have been a couple of places down from there. Looking at the map though that Bronze Bar is basically round the corner haha - I take it he's a regular???

2 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

*shuffles cards*

"EIGHT AE HERTS!!" 

😄

One of the good guys.

the sub goalie

Granada Studios back in the early 90’s, remember it was early morning midweek and a miserable day. Anyway seemed like we were the only ones there apart from Man Utd right back Paul Parker. I wandered over with my camera and asked politely if I could have a photo, he replied ‘No, **** off’. Mind being gutted as no one would believe I met a Man Utd player.

Also met McCoist and Durrant at the Roxburgh Hotel before a game, they were sound as anything to me and my pal, they called over Oleg Salenko who couldn’t speak a word of English as the proceeded to rip him for our banter.  The same morning we also seen Pasquale Bruno outside the Caledonian Hotel, dressed every bit the mafia don.

Met quite a few Hearts players of recent times with my daughter being a mascot or at the family days and I get my kill at how a lot of bang average footballers act arrogant and can’t be bothered, if only they realised for the majority this is the pinnacle of their career.  In saying that, Callum Paterson was absolutely first class when my daughter was the mascot.

Robbo-Jambo

In the eighties the Hearts players used to frequent the Rutland No. 1 on a Saturday night. 

Had chats with Robbo,Mackay, Berry, Henry, Crabbe, Foster, Black, Zico, Galloway etc. 

All decent guys who would chat away. Galloway and Foster were always absolutely wasted. 

Funniest one was at Haggerston Castle Holiday Park when the kids were young, looking out the caravan window one morning with my Hearts top on to see this massive horse trotting by with Gary Mackay on board with his wee riding hat on. 

Absolutely pissing myself and he looked into our caravan with a wry, slightly embarrassed smile on his face. 😅

Hoped I would bump into him at some point in the holiday to rip him but never saw him again. 😕

19 hours ago, colinmorewasgash said:

Tom Boyd and family in departure lounge on a delay of 6 hours on flight to orlando both our families got on great top bloke.  

Pallister and a limping Gordon McQueen at old trafford hospitality and met all hearts first team at craig leveins testimonial dinner at sheraton.

Son was playing football at dalgety bay leisure centre with mates and two black guys approached them asking for game one day one went on each side. Christian Nade who was at Raith Rovers and Prince Buaben who was at us were the guys. Said they spotted sons and mates hearts tops haha. They had been doing fitness training inside. My son was late for tea that day so Id gone over to look for him and saw two adults with them wondering wtf was going on haha. Top blokes kids all got autographs and Nade wished he could play for us again as in his own words he loved the club and let us down he went to Hamilton not long after.

Nade had a kick about at the bay astro with my oldest too, maybe it was the same day

Edited by lou

1 hour ago, Batistuta87 said:

Nah it was a place right by the beach... We were waiting to get into that Ocean's Beach Club at midday so would have been a couple of places down from there. Looking at the map though that Bronze Bar is basically round the corner haha - I take it he's a regular???

He used to be but it's closed now. Bobby, the guy that owned it was a Fifer and a big Dunfermline fan so you used to get all their players/staff kicking about the place close season.

JudyJudyJudy
13 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

In the eighties the Hearts players used to frequent the Rutland No. 1 on a Saturday night. 

Had chats with Robbo,Mackay, Berry, Henry, Crabbe, Foster, Black, Zico, Galloway etc. 

All decent guys who would chat away. Galloway and Foster were always absolutely wasted. 

Funniest one was at Haggerston Castle Holiday Park when the kids were young, looking out the caravan window one morning with my Hearts top on to see this massive horse trotting by with Gary Mackay on board with his wee riding hat on. 

Absolutely pissing myself and he looked into our caravan with a wry, slightly embarrassed smile on his face. 😅

Hoped I would bump into him at some point in the holiday to rip him but never saw him again. 😕

Foster were always absolutely wasted.   he seems to be a heavy drinker now. seems to happen to loads of players 

JudyJudyJudy

Ally Mccoist came into the pub and worked in and we chatted for a while. This was a few years ago. He was very friendly and sociable. 

Had unpleasant " encounter" with a drunk Andy Goram at Fingers piano bar . He growled at me and looked out his face. Horrible ^^^^

Jason Cummings was in a pub along Gorgie last year. He was quite pleasant actually and had the young team fawning over him. He must have a bladder problem as he was never out the bogs.... :) 

I was about 12 (1986) and I went to Musselburgh races with my Dad and older Brother. They liked to go for a pint or two afterwards to the Woodside Hotel before heading back home.

I was sent to the counter to get some sandwiches and as I turned around to head back, there was Andy Bowman and Dave Mackay half bevvied sitting in a snug corner to the right.  😁

I think my Dad was more awestruck than myself, me being so young and not taking in the moment.  I was sent back to get their autographs written on the Racing Programme we’d bought. 

I now realise what a privilege it was for me to ask such a great Hearts man for his signature and be able to say I met him. 

Edited by Debut 4

Shanks said no

Keith Burkinshaw the ex Tottenham manager in a hotel bar in Egypt, reasonable bloke but not very cheery.

Jimmy Greaves in the hotel we were staying in Lanzarote. Unfortunately it was clear he was a very old man and other than wishing him a good morning/ evening, it wouldn’t have been right to pester him, as some were. 

Maroon Sailor
10 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Keith Burkinshaw the ex Tottenham manager in a hotel bar in Egypt, reasonable bloke but not very cheery.

Jimmy Greaves in the hotel we were staying in Lanzarote. Unfortunately it was clear he was a very old man and other than wishing him a good morning/ evening, it wouldn’t have been right to pester him, as some were. 

That's my philosophy if ever see anybody I recognise from TV, sport etc .... I just don't have any desire to invade their space or find out they are not the person I portrayed them to be

Always think about a Bay City Rollers fan who was besotted with Les McKeown in particular. When she got invited back stage she ended up thinking he was a dickhead !

Never thought the same of him after that !

Fantasy shattered !

Gary Mabbutt lives near me and I see him out walking his dog all the time. Seems like a nice guy, always has a smile and a wave for everyone!

43 minutes ago, Pingu said:

Gary Mabbutt lives near me and I see him out walking his dog all the time. Seems like a nice guy, always has a smile and a wave for everyone!

Top man. Does a lot of great work in the community as a Spurs ambassador. 

Ford Prentice

I saw Sean Clare in Asda, Leith when he was at his lowest point with us, nothing going right, confidence shot. I gave him an encouraging nod and he nodded back. Cue upswing in form until he ended up a  fans' favourite. Entirely, in my opinion, down to me.